The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again

+83
liverbnz
Crimey
Pete330v2
L123
Rafa's biceps
incontinentia
skyeman
bluestonevedder
shivfan
Paul Mac 6CW
trottb
Breadvan
Galted
Mat
The_Enigma
XR
Luke
Cass1234
Derbymanc
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Dolphin Ziggler
socal1976
The Fourth Lion
Scrumpy
Duty281
alfie
Steffan
jbeadlesbigrighthand
guildfordbat
Thomond
6cw Hobo
Hulking_up
bhb001
SirJohnnyEnglish
Strongback
Sir. badgerhands
kingraf
The Beast
Hoggy_Bear
DP
JDizzle
LivinginItaly
Y I Man
The Best in the World
MIG
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
Il Gialloblu
Nakatomi Plaza
seanmichaels
david lee
RinoGattuso
theundisputedY2D2
ChequeredJersey
Hero
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
superflyweight
rawa86
Mr Bounce
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
Shot 21 LCFC
ShahenshahG
rIck_dAgless
hampo17
Lumbering_Jack
Mike Selig
goldwolf
SharkSoul
The Saint
jimmyinthewell68
Ent
westisbest
Mad for Chelsea
Adam D
Dr Gregory House MD
Cyril
hornbloweroafc
Bull
kingjohn7
Stella
Kenny
87 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again - Page 19 Empty The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again

Post by Kenny Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

The old thread is now well over the 1000 posts so please continue the discussion here
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again - Page 19 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:14 pm

No worries TRUSS, I just thought I would help out. Sounds like a film I would enjoy and not seen it before so will give it a watch!

Cheers

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again - Page 19 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued again

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

Finally got round to watching American Hustle yesterday.

Enjoyable, well put together film, loved the soundtrack too. Not sure it's 100% deserving of the hype, though the ending saved it - without that it would have been almost ordinary.

Some good acting performances though, liked J-law and Bale in particular.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

Watched Pacific Rim in 3D, never particuarly been sold on 3d in the past, but it looked incredible. Silly film, but in a good way.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 01 Sep 2014, 12:41 pm

Eventually watched Captain America: Winter Soldier - Much better than the first one and really enjoyable. 7.5/10
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:19 pm

Let's Be Cops.

Well it's got a few funny bits (mostly the ones shown in the trailer), but it stumbles and trips its way through an utterly predictable storyline. Yes there's a some belly laughs from the main characters and a totally-against-type performance from James D'arcy as the bad guy, but it's not really up to much.

It's a pizza & beer with mates type of movie, nothing more. 4.5/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 02 Sep 2014, 3:26 pm

Kenny wrote:watched the new version of Conan the Barbarian on sunday .............awful !

Just popping in from the rugby area which is usually cordoned off to stop us from getting out. I never knew this area existed but hey you learn something new every day.
So.......Kenny, I have to agree here, it was a pale shadow of Arnie's Conan, the one movie that really stand out in Swarzythingy's career. I hear he has been mentioned in doing a Conan update, obviously featuring a much older King Conan Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 02 Sep 2014, 3:28 pm

My latest movie offering...

The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Simply brilliant, awesome, inspired.....words don't really convey how I feel about this film.
Wes Anderson movies seem to have the marmite factor but personally I think the man is a god.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 02 Sep 2014, 4:09 pm

Good Lord! Wink
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 02 Sep 2014, 7:06 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Good Lord! Wink

Frickin Hell!!!!!

P.S. I do regret the 'good lord' expletive, I didn't mean it in a Jeeves kind of way Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

Just seen Gravity for the first time, never got round to it, but finally seen it. What a disappointment, actually it's a pretty poor film. Admittedly, I didn't see it in 3D, so I expect the scenes weren't as impressive, but didn't enjoy it one bit. Woeful script, actually boring in fact. Just copious amounts of nothing scenes with Bullock talking nonsense. Probably a 3/10. I remember watching the Hurt Locker after it got all these oscar nominations & that was terribly over-rated too. These Americans.........

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm

Agree with you on gravity (3d in cinema is absolutely stunning though), but hurt locker was a good film.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:48 am

Just finished watching Looper for the first time.

I really enjoyed it, a very interesting film which threw up some really interesting questions and ideas. 

Spoiler:

Naturally with any form of fiction that has time travel, plot holes can spring up but I thought the film dealt with them quite well and its version of time travel was relatively consistent which can't be said for all films/TV shows that use it.

The acting was really good in the film, kept forgetting it was actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt even if the make-up in some scenes looked a bit silly. They did a good enough job with it to make it believable. Jeff Daniels was great in it, but every time I see him it takes a while to adjust from him not being his Dumb and Dumber character.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun 07 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm

Anchorman 2

So bad i didn't finished it.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

The buler. Really good film.

The ice train (don't know if that is the original title). Terrible film, biggest pile ot **** i have ever seen.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:18 pm

Crimey wrote:Just finished watching Looper for the first time.

I really enjoyed it, a very interesting film which threw up some really interesting questions and ideas. 

Spoiler:

Naturally with any form of fiction that has time travel, plot holes can spring up but I thought the film dealt with them quite well and its version of time travel was relatively consistent which can't be said for all films/TV shows that use it.

The acting was really good in the film, kept forgetting it was actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt even if the make-up in some scenes looked a bit silly. They did a good enough job with it to make it believable. Jeff Daniels was great in it, but every time I see him it takes a while to adjust from him not being his Dumb and Dumber character.

Yes! It was something I couldn't shake!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:38 pm

watch newsroom he's brilliant in that

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

Inbetweeners 2. Meh.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

The Purge 4/10

Really bad film.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 08 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

Duel.

Directed by Steven Spielberg

Good film
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue 09 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

The Truth About Emanuel - 6.5/10
So this is an independent physiological/drama thriller that was filmed in early 2013. With names such as Jessica Biel & Kaya Scodelario (Skins) billed, the characters and plot unravels a dark tone which really could head in numerous directions. Kaya Scodelario pretty much plays the exact character of Effy (Which she plays well) but as the film progresses, the plot can pretty much head one of two ways. While there are a few holes upon reflection, it's certainly watch able until it starts to unravel. If you don't have much to do one night this week, I could think of worse ideas on how to kill 90 minutes.

Django Unchained - 9/10
I'm probably one of the few people left on the planet who hadn't seen this so I'm not going to bore you with the plot. Never been a fan of Western films but have loved previous Quentin Tarantino work. Tremendous supporting cast with an ever-changing plot. Two and a half hours flew by!

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:49 pm

Sex Tape. Not very funny at all. Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz don't have much in the way of chemistry, and the support cast is pretty poor. The whole film is a load of cheap laughs with very little actual humour. It's all a bit rubbish and by 20 minutes I was bored.

4/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 10 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm

Surprised to not see reports on Sin City 2 yet. Going to watch that tomorrow, but I'm yet to hear anyone mention it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

Driver wrote:The Purge 4/10

Really bad film.

is that with ethan hawke, think i've seen that. It was awful

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 11 Sep 2014, 8:07 am

Only God Forgives with Ryan Gosling. Directed by the same guy who made Drive (which also, of course, starred Ryan Gosling).
Quite a weird sort of arty, crime thriller (like Drive), but quite interesting for all that.
Not as good as Drive for me, but I'd still recommend it.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Sep 2014, 1:17 pm

Watched The Counselor at the weekend. What a load of handshuffle that was!

I don't mind dialogues trying to be socially complicated to create compelling dialogues, but it was just dreadful. Overstating conversations were just poor and the pay off was awful.

Not worth the hype it was given.

3/10

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 16 Sep 2014, 5:44 pm

I watched the Time Traveller's Wife with my girlfriend yesterday. I don't even understand the storyline. And the idea that a girl of twelve or whatever meets a man in his late thirties and they get married eventually smacks of promoting grooming. Not to mention the timeline incoherence, even for the film. Still, it had Rachel Mcadams, and I was with my girlfriend... Spent large sections trying to decide which of the two is indeed the hottest woman in the world.
10/10
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

COLD IN JULY - Adaptation of a Joe Lansdale novel about a man who kills an intruder in his home and is informed that the father of the murdered man will be seeking revenge for his son. However, it transpires that the murdered man isn't who they think it is and they team up to discover the truth....

I love Joe Lansdale's writing and have been a fan for years. Met him in Leeds at a book signing and he's possibly the nicest bloke you could ever meet despite his author's photo making him look like the kind of man who digs up dead people to kill them again because he didn't get a chance to do it first time round. The Hap Collins and Leonard Pine series is, in my opinion, one of the finest in modern crime fiction and "Cold in July" is also a fine stand alone novel so I was delighted to see that it had been adapted for the big screen.

However, it all went downhill after I started watching the film. None of the warmth, charm or wit of Lansdale's writing seems evident in this film. Michael Hall (of "Dexter" fame) seems bemused as to why he's in the film and sporting a mullet. Don Johnson tries his best to inject some life into his role but is still a pale imitation of the character Lansdale created and whilst Sam Shepard plays the role of the vengeful father very well, there's still something missing.

I expected so much more and was bitterly disappointed but then again maybe my expectations were far too high to begin with. Perhaps it would have been better to have Lansdale write the screenplay (as he did with Bubba Ho-Tep) but I think they've ballsed this one up. Those not familiar with Lansdale's work may get more out of the film than I did but it's not something I'll be watching again to see if I've missed anything
4/10

Was also delighted to see that Lawrence Block's finest creation, Matt Scudder, was getting a run out in "A Walk Among the Tombstones" however, I'm not convinced Liam Neeson is the right man for the role and have visions of another "Taken" style action movie as opposed to the dark, hard bitten, noir tale it's supposed to be. Also bemused as to why they've chosen book 10 out of 17 to make into a film but I'll watch it and try not to cry too hard.

A premonition that this will be 5/10...maybe a 6/10 and anything else will be a major surprise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:08 am

Got taken to see the Inbetweeners 2 the other night.

Admittedly I've never been a fan of the four little prats but even by the standards of the tv show and the first film it was appalling.

A legitimate contender for my least favourite film of all time 0.25/10 (and the .25 is for a quick flash of boobies)

On the plus side that's my missus used up her choice and its my turn to pick next

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 20 Sep 2014, 4:29 am

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Got taken to see the Inbetweeners 2 the other night.

Admittedly I've never been a fan of the four little prats but even by the standards of the tv show and the first film it was appalling.

A legitimate contender for my least favourite film of all time 0.25/10 (and the .25 is for a quick flash of boobies)

On the plus side that's my missus used up her choice and its my turn to pick next

I'm surprised honestly. I think it was definitely better than the first film, which I also liked, despite it not being even close to as good as the series but I thought the second film was actually really funny.

Although saying that I think it does rely quite heavily on you already liking the characters. Although to be fair, I don't think the aim of the film is to convert the people who aren't into it already, it's the final show for the characters for the fans.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

X-Men: Days of Future Past...absolutely no friggin' idea what I was watching. Thought it was Terminator at one point and by the end, I didn't give a sh!t any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 9:26 am

Watched American Hustle over the weekend. I found it hard to warm to Bale as a lowlife scumbag. I am kind of used to the more intense roles he is known for. I think it needed a more laid back actor if I am honest and I didn't think the role suited him. I do rate Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. The two women in Irving's life. Bradley Cooper gave a Cooper performance really. The male cast just seemed awkward. It was a strange film for me and not one I really enjoyed.

5/10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

"Edge of Tomorrow"...DAVE667 in "I liked a Tom Cruise film" shocker

In fairness, I have about 20 minutes left to watch but have to say I'm enjoying it immensely and would be surprised/shocked/disappointed if the ending fizzled out into "meh"

Highly recommended

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 23 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

Thought American Hustle was overrated as sliced bread
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:X-Men: Days of Future Past...absolutely no friggin' idea what I was watching. Thought it was Terminator at one point and by the end, I didn't give a sh!t any more.

Now that's what I call a film review.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 23 Sep 2014, 9:12 pm

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:X-Men: Days of Future Past...absolutely no friggin' idea what I was watching. Thought it was Terminator at one point and by the end, I didn't give a sh!t any more.

Lone Survivor. F'ing immense. Serious weaponry, multiple Taliban hits, compound fractures and goats.

Michaels blowing up sheet and shrapnel wound factor~ 5/5

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:05 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:

Lone Survivor. F'ing immense. Serious weaponry, multiple Taliban hits, compound fractures and goats.

Michaels blowing up sheet and shrapnel wound factor~ 5/5

Yeah!!!  These are the types of reviews you should see in the papers, not a load of flowery w*nk by some smug little prat who pretends that Citizen Kane is his/her favourite film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 24 Sep 2014, 7:26 am

Citizen Kane - Exquisite acting, and the character development really spoke to the audience. Storytelling was effortless and made it impossible not to enjoy. At not one point did I think it was Terminator, and really thrived by not having any serious weaponry, multiple Taliban hits, compound fractures or goats, and it was much easier to connect with Orson's cinematography because of this.

11/10

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

Iron Man 3 - I'm not really sure what happened. I think Pepper got kidnapped, Stark found a surrogate child, and people were on fire. The Americans won, I think. 10/10
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

Don't even know if I've seen Iron Man 3 such is the plethora of films with metallic suits and things blowing up.

Have decided the time is right to spend the rest of my life watching "Cool Hand Luke"

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 24 Sep 2014, 12:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Don't even know if I've seen Iron Man 3 such is the plethora of films with metallic suits and things blowing up.

Have decided the time is right to spend the rest of my life watching "Cool Hand Luke"

It's only about 2 hours long, so Dave should be dead or damn near dead by now.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm

superflyweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Don't even know if I've seen Iron Man 3 such is the plethora of films with metallic suits and things blowing up.

It's only about 2 hours long, so Dave should be dead or damn near dead by now.  
It's obvious I meant watching it repeatedly you silly person.

"Get yourself a sweet Madonna
Dressed in Rhinestone sittin' on a
Pedestal of abalone shell...

"Goin' 90 I ain't scary
Cos I got the Virgin mary
Assurin' me that I won't go to Hell!"

I bloody love that film...mullet head!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 24 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

I watched Filomena, Judi Dench's Irish accent is a bit all over the place but the film is good, funny and moving in equal parts. Steve Coogan is a very solid actor as well in a largely non comic role.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

After a conversation with a colleague discussing Tarantino, I watched "True Romance" again after he tried to convince me it was up there with Res Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill. Said I didn't rate it, he said I was daft

He's off today but I'll be informing him that my opinion of it still hasn't changed. It's little more than OK and that's only because of Patricia Arquette's cleavage (which isn't that great either) outside of the two main character's it's little more than a series of cameo appearances from famous people. Slater plays himself (again) and Arquette is little more than window dressing outside of her bestial scream when she kills James Gandolfini.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm

I haven't seen Kill Bill, but it's all over Jackie Brown.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:08 pm

didn't think Kill Bill was in the same league as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino peaked in the 90's, haven't seen anything decent from him in a while.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:09 pm

Was Inglorious Basterds, Tarrantino?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

Yes
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:12 pm

I liked that one.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:18 pm

Me too! Forgot about that one, how about Django?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:23 pm

That was good. The Austrian bloke helping both films.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next