The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Lee: Nice Guys Do Win

+8
Strongback
88Chris05
Coxy001
jimdig
kingraf
Derbymanc
AdamT
DDGO2
12 posters

Go down

Andy Lee: Nice Guys Do Win  Empty Andy Lee: Nice Guys Do Win

Post by DDGO2 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:37 pm

So happy for him, a true gent and skilled boxer. Seems Cheese face has inspired another boxer to glory. If you listen Booth can reach you, got to admit the guy does great work when fighters leave their ego's at the door. What next for Lee?

I'd like a defense at home and then BJS. And I'd like him to get a big payday. Got 70k US for that fight.

Thoughts appreciated.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Andy Lee: Nice Guys Do Win  Empty Re: Andy Lee: Nice Guys Do Win

Post by AdamT Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

I'm happy for him as I am Irish too and we don't have many world champions. Seen Andy fight live a few times. Good boxer but always thought he would never lift a belt.

I am glad I was wrong. Seems a nice chap!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:44 pm

I always thought he could. Chavez beat him because he was obviously, 'not himself' and came in massive and basically manipulated every rule in the book. Outside of that Lee's always had promise and skills, seems to have power now too. And he follows game plans brilliantly. No panic. Right now he beats BJS.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:45 pm

clap Congrats to Mr Lee. Not my favourite boxer but it's always nice to see the workhorses do well. Gutted I missed it now as there's always a little something extra when a homefighters fighting for a belt. (Not every belt mind you.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:50 pm

Nice guy and really happy for him, I think he's been ignored in this country (well UK in general).

Rose goes to America, a limited British level fighter and it makes headlines, Lee, a much higher quality fighter and little is said. Not for long though!

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

Chavez beat him because there is no crushing that chin. Lee is wonderfully limited, but he's a trier and knows he just needs one punch. Given twelve rounds, he probably backs himself to land one eventually against guys who aren't quite elite.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 15 Dec 2014, 1:08 pm

Happy to see lee lift a title too. It's unfounate that the lee, Macklin, murray, barker fights never came off.  I always thought they needed to have a belt or two in the mix to get everyone on board. Also happy to see booth doing well, I do rate him, I think he'd alot to do with groves v DeGale.

Can anyone tell me what is Andy lee's tatoo of? It looks like a british flag to me. I googled it, and came back with some religious iconography referenced. But I still see a british flag.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 15 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

The religious reference I got off another forum by the way. So have no idea if that's valid.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Only just caught up with the fight last night, cracker of a right hand that sens Korobov on to queer street. Seems like a decent chap, so well done sir.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

Turned over from Lee-Korobov after four rounds in favour of the Khan fight and haven't got round to watching the rest of it yet, as I decided to catch up on the Bradley fight first off, but I'm chuffed for Lee. He seems like a good bloke and I think he's got a refreshing attitude to the sport.

The rounds I saw were slow, turgid ones and it looked as if he was getting stuck on the outside unable to really get off with his punches, but recently he seems to have that knack of ending fights out of nowhere and / or against the run of play with a game changing shot which is a very handy tool to have. Korobov's career hasn't really taken off the way a lot of people thought it would a few years ago, but nevertheless he was still unbeaten and considered a danger man, possibly best left alone. It's a good scalp for Lee.

The Saunders defence should be pretty straight forward to get on in the coming months and it'll be an excellent fight for British / Irish boxing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 6:29 pm

Did people like Booths tweet after Lee won "Proudest moment of my career".

I took that as a f.u.*.k. you David.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 15 Dec 2014, 6:57 pm

Booth probably got 90% of Lee purse for that effort

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 7:17 pm

Andy Lee on RTE radio now.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm

Did he have much to say Strongy?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 15 Dec 2014, 7:45 pm

Lee's giving Booth a lot of credit.  Says Booth got him to relax his shoulders, generally helped his vertical movement and taught him how to fight on the inside, especially the right hook.

Billy Walsh commented Lee is now throwing punches from his boots. Billy also pointed out that Korobov was the p4p best amateur in the world at one point and won two world championships.  

Lee said he received a message on the morning of the fight from Manny Stewart's widow saying that she was coming to the fight. He said it spurred him on and that Manny would have liked the finish as he loved knock outs.

Lee said Booth is as good as any coach he has trained under which is high praise.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 15 Dec 2014, 8:03 pm

Good Words from Lee there.

Cheers Strongy buddy (your not all bad Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:03 am

Sits alongside Barker as a good but slightly limited fighter who is a nice guy that has excelled beyond his abilities to secure a world title.

Well done, Andy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:37 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Sits alongside Barker as a good but slightly limited fighter who is a nice guy that has excelled beyond his abilities to secure a world title.

Well done, Andy.

----

I think he has a lot of ability and you are missing it completely. He's adaptive reactive for one. How many fighters can adapt in the ring and find the win?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:44 am

You honestly think he's a top drawer world level fighter? I don't. And I don't think Barker was either.

Yes they both had/have 'ability', they can't have achieved what they did without it, but neither are particularly gifted and both won their titles with career high performances against the best oppo they've faced but not already lost to.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:11 pm

never said top drawer so why are you using quotation marks? do you know what they are, clues in the name.

you don't quote cliched phrases.

Lee is a very capable world level fighter and can defend and beat some decent opposition. Curtis Stevens , BJS, Macklin, Geale, he can have a run at it. GGG butchers him, but I tell you, I'd love to see him face Cotto or Canelo at MW, he'd have them.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm

DDGO2 wrote:never said top drawer so why are you using quotation marks? do you know what they are, clues in the name.

You really are a dumb f***king pen!s aren't you, emore?

1. If you're going to try be a smart-arris, get it right. I didn't use quotation marks as I wasn't quoting - these are quotation marks: " "; these are inverted commas: '-'.

2. You he's "world level" (see what I did there??) but not 'top drawer'?? Those should be one and the same to me. Neither he nor Barker have impressive records - just ones punctuated with a world title win.

If Lee successfully defends against any of those mentioned I will change my stance but for me is still a good (maybe very good) fighter that did well, very well in fact.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 12:35 pm

I'm sorry okay, I apologise and you make valid points.

It's been a tough week.

We agree Lee is good and we like him and he is a quality if not elite fighter.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 16 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

Taylor, Cotto, Lee and GGG are the middleweight belt holders. Fair argument Golovkin could beat the other three on the same night

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DDGO2 wrote:never said top drawer so why are you using quotation marks? do you know what they are, clues in the name.

You really are a dumb f***king pen!s aren't you, emore?

Foe button. Do you genuinely believe the mods are going to let the pair of you continue to insult each other every time your paths cross? What seems more likely to you a) we will ignore it, b) we will clear it up happily and without complaint c) we will ban one or both of you.

(For the avoidance of doubt the answer is C)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

d) this happened hours ago and has since abated.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:37 pm

Funnily enough top hat I do have other things to do with my day than read every post on here the minute it is posted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

Your laissez-faire approach is perfectly fine with me, Rowley. kiss

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 16 Dec 2014, 9:30 pm

Rowley, Tophat and I are cool, we made our peace, stop bringing my thread off topic.

Lee is a gentleman, GGG is the gift. But we only know for sure one of those statements is true. Why? Because the gift has not been fully delivered. Until GGG steps up he's just another Bute to me, and we all saw what happened to Bute.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLaNwWP95jA

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Wed 17 Dec 2014, 8:31 am

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windmill&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PD-RVM_fEIqrUci2g6AF&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=475#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=8esXPuVWMR4znM%253A%3BqpPnQ63_v4BerM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thaxted.co.uk%252Fsystem%252Ffiles%252Fimage%252FPhotos%252Fthaxted-windmill_440w.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thaxted.co.uk%252Fcontent%252Fwindmill%3B440%3B500

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down