The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 3

+21
trottb
Mad for Chelsea
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
superflyweight
MIG
88Chris05
kwinigolfer
ChequeredJersey
Union Cane
Hero
Adam D
jbeadlesbigrighthand
TopHat24/7
The Womble
JuliusHMarx
seanmichaels
Galted
Stella
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Best films since 1st January 2000

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 9 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 93

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok folks, here we are with round 3 of the Culture Cup and the poll for Best film released since the turn of the century

Round 2 is now complete and what a turn around.  Numbers 1 and 2 from round one are the only posters not to score a single point in round two. Yes, michaels and Galted, that means you pair of miscreants.  compelling and rich and The Womble spent most of the round battling each other for first place but it eventually went to c&r who goes flying up the leaderboard.  Same as the last round for me, the best nomination ended up in second place but such is life.  Adam was his usual consistent self with another third place, reinforcing the image we have of him as a desperately middle of the road sort of chap.  Union got some points again which was nice to see.  Poor old ChequeredJersey is in last place with a solitary point, bringing up the rear which is something he will have to get used to studying medicine.

Here are the runners and riders;

compelling & rich (Teenage Kicks): (12) 16
Adam (Who wants to live forever): (8) 16
Hero (Everybody Hurts): (7) 14
The Womble (Heroes): (10) 13
seanmichaels (History): (0) 12
Azzy (Should I stay or should I go): (6) 11
Galted (This is England): (0) 10
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Born to Run): (4) 8
Dolphin Ziggler (You Know You're Right): (1) 7
onlytreblewinners (Photograph): (2) 7
TopHat (Ain't no mountain high enough): (5) 7
superflyweight (Your love keeps lifting me higher): (3) 6
Union (Wonderland): (3) 5
The Boss (Tequila Sunrise): (1) 5
bhb001 (Stairway to Heaven): (5) 5
Julius (Little Red Corvette): (2) 4
Rowley(Days): (2) 4
ChequeredJersey (Changes): (1) 1

Round 4 moves on to TV and the question is Who is the greatest comedy character on TV since the turn of the century?.  Limiting it to choices since the 1st January 2000 produced some really good shouts for round 3 so we will give it another go.  It can be someone from a US series, UK series, a one off show, whatever you want.  So long as the programme they appeared in didn't start to be aired before 1.1.2000.  

For example: Del Boy is not allowed as Only Fools and Horses was aired before the turn of the century (and the show isn't funny either but that's another story).  Hopefully it will get quite a broad spectrum of choices.

Please PM me a couple of choices and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.

Here is the poll for round 3 and it is a good'un.  Remember that it is open for the whole forum to vote!

Thanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Hero Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

Adam D wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote: and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.
That was a waste of time asking you to help me out a little bit.  Not one of you bothered.

Gits.
Mine aired from 2005/06 onwards OK 
Is it Moulin Rouge the TV show?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

Hero wrote:
Adam D wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote: and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.
That was a waste of time asking you to help me out a little bit.  Not one of you bothered.

Gits.
Mine aired from 2005/06 onwards OK 
Is it Moulin Rouge the TV show?
No, it was Gok Wan followed by Alan Carr and Barrymore's The Price is Right.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:36 am

Gits.
I would like to apologise, though only on my own behalf and not that of other contestants, I understand that it must be difficult running a competition such as this while having to work at the same time and it makes it that much harder when people not only have to be PM'ed to give their selections but don't even bother reading the instructions for the next round.

Quite shameful, if I may be frank.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:36 am

Mine started in 2001
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:43 am

Galted wrote:

Gits.
I would like to apologise, though only on my own behalf and not that of other contestants, I understand that it must be difficult running a competition such as this while having to work at the same time and it makes it that much harder when people not only have to be PM'ed to give their selections but don't even bother reading the instructions for the next round.

Quite shameful, if I may be frank.
Apology accepted.

Frank who?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:46 am

Frank667, the alter ego of the 667 killer.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:46 am

Paaaatttt, Rickaaayyyy

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:54 am

This culture cup is becoming increasingly geared toward the youth of today.
As you get older (and I seem to be about a decade or more older than most, if not all of the rest of you) your priorities change and you spend less time going to the cinema/watching TV and more time going to school plays and ferrying kids around and wondering why it takes so long for minor injuries to heal.

I haven't voted in this round because I've watched so few of the films. Compare that to the mid-1980s where I'd see 50 or 60 films a year at the flicks.

Equally, none of my favourite comedy characters debuted in the last 13 years. I look forward to the favourite Jazz artist round. Meh.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:01 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:This culture cup is becoming increasingly geared toward the youth of today.
As you get older (and I seem to be about a decade or more older than most, if not all of the rest of you) your priorities change and you spend less time going to the cinema/watching TV and more time going to school plays and ferrying kids around and wondering why it takes so long for minor injuries to heal.

It's not, Julius. It is only these two rounds that have been post 2000. The opening 2 efforts were open to any era, as will plenty of the following rounds.

Fear not, old boy, there will be lots more opportunities to regale us of the time you spent smoking opium with Ray Charles.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:04 am

Limit some rounds to pre-1990 Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:06 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:This culture cup is becoming increasingly geared toward the youth of today.

It's not, Julius.  It is only these two rounds that have been post 2000.  The opening 2 efforts were open to any era, as will plenty of the following rounds.

Fear not, old boy, there will be lots more opportunities to regale us of the time you spent smoking opium with Ray Charles.

Given the level of Marx wittiness, I think you mean drinking absinthe with Oscar Wilde.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:10 am

Actually it was cocktails at the Algonquin Club Round Table

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:14 am

Got to be honest I would prefer some rounds from an earlier vintage. Am not especially old but my tastes in both music and film are very much from yesteryear.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Actually it was cocktails at the Algonquin Club Round Table
Yep, had to google that. Do you sometimes play Scrabble in Latin with Stephen Fry?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:19 am

There will be plenty of old sh*t to vote on/nominate. We have had 50% new and 50% any vintage so far. A fair split for the forum.

Rd 5 is back to books and that won't be limited.

Jesus, you would think there is something at stake here.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:20 am

Rowley wrote:Got to be honest I would prefer some rounds from an earlier vintage. Am not especially old but my tastes in both music and film are very much from yesteryear.
and Boxing etc etc

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:20 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:There will be plenty of old sh*t to vote on/nominate.   We have had 50% new and 50% any vintage so far.  A fair split for the forum.

Is round 5 favourite Steak?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:There will be plenty of old sh*t to vote on/nominate.   We have had 50% new and 50% any vintage so far.  A fair split for the forum.

Calm down dear.

I think it has been a sterling effort so far. I am perturbed though as the missus made me sit through a film a while back that I thought would be Poopie but turned out a ripper. It wasn't Avatar or Lovely Bones. I would ask her but then she'll have a go at my drinking agaain.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:24 am

Gits.
Didn't even notice that. Mine is 2009 onwards.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:24 am

Gits.
Laugh 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:27 am

Adam D wrote:

Yep.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

Adam D wrote:

Yep.
Rump.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:31 am

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Actually it was cocktails at the Algonquin Club Round Table
Yep, had to google that.  Do you sometimes play Scrabble in Latin with Stephen Fry?
Cogito ergo sum lepidus

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:38 am

Immo, mihi quoque

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:41 am

Meo speako no latino

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:43 am

Neque ego, ego utor Google Translator

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:57 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Adam D wrote:

Yep.
Rump.
Rib-eye. Medium rare. No contest.

Anyone who has their steak well-done should be DQ'd from the competition as an utter philistine.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Anyone who has their steak well-done should be DQ'd from the competition as an utter philistine.
I actually find myself agreeing with top hat on the issue of well done steaks, this is a rocky road. I will be sneering at poor people by the time the weekend is through.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:17 pm

I don't eat steaks at all - I find the concept of eating a mammal vulgar although I would make an exception for an endangered species such as a snow leopard or a giant panda or mythical species such as a unicorn.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm

Steak?

Rump and medium, with Mustard, chips and peas. And NO sauces, apart from a touch of mustard.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm

Galted wrote:I don't eat steaks at all - I find the concept of eating a mammal vulgar although I would make an exception for an endangered species such as a snow leopard or a giant panda or mythical species such as a unicorn.
Would you eat non mammals?

How would a snake go down?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

Adam D wrote:
Galted wrote:I don't eat steaks at all - I find the concept of eating a mammal vulgar although I would make an exception for an endangered species such as a snow leopard or a giant panda or mythical species such as a unicorn.
Would you eat non mammals?

How would a snake go down?
Yes, I regularly eat non-mammals.  Haven't tried snake but have tried crocodile.  Can't really answer the "how would a snake go down?" as I fear it's a joke that's over my head.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm

It wasnt a joke!

whats the issue over mammals and not other animals?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

Would have thought "Match Point" would be in the category of worst films of all time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:26 pm

Where's the delete button gone??!!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:26 pm

Looking at some of the comments on here, I think people would put Moulin Rouge in there as well Kwini!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

Steak - tuna, seared. seasoned to taste.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:28 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Would have thought "Match Point" would be in the category of worst films of all time.
Even though Scarlett Johanssen is in it?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm

Adam D wrote:It wasnt a joke!

whats the issue over mammals and not other animals?

Don't know really, not much of an issue, couldn't really give a toss if other people eat them. The thought of it is just a bit disgusting to me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm

In Bruges for me, followed by Gladiator. Hadn't heard anything about In Bruges before stumbling across it at the cinema, one of those nice surprises you get every now and then when you do that "let's just see whatever's starting next" thing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

I used to eat steaks well done.  Until I went to an Italian restaurant and when I asked for my steak well done he refused.  Said its already been killed once he will not be killing it again.  He convinced me to try medium and I loved it and haven't looked back since.  Thanks Italian guy.

Anyway...Inglorious Basterds is probably my favourite recent film, closely followed by Inception.  Have to mention Memento and American Psycho too as they are great.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

Some good picks up there (none as good as my pick though). Can't rememebr what I voted for because I could have gone for a few but I know it wasn't Moulin Rouge, Matchpoint or Anchorman.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:52 pm

cant say im overly impressed with the list, when the question was first put up i struggled with thinking of some of my favourites as they were nearly all pre 2000

glad to see city of god doing well, that was my second choice i really debated about putting 1

how inception is winning i dont know, most overated film ive seen for a while, just tried to be clever for clever sake at times to confuse the dimmer audience members (probably americans). i got it all the way through just thought it was a ok film

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

I thought my 2nd choice might have been someones first choice. Finding Nemo!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

I once saw Inception described as a film that allowed thick people to feel clever, which I thought was a brilliant description. Good enough film, well made and acted throughout but is by no means particularly difficult to follow

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

Rowley wrote:I once saw Inception described as a film that allowed thick people to feel clever, which I thought was a brilliant description. Good enough film, well made and acted throughout but is by no means particularly difficult to follow
Pretty good description that (both parts).  Would work as a description for The Matrix as well.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:I once saw Inception described as a film that allowed thick people to feel clever, which I thought was a brilliant description. Good enough film, well made and acted throughout but is by no means particularly difficult to follow
Pretty good description that (both parts).  Would work as a description for The Matrix as well.
matrix original concept was much better though, for me though got worse as it went on

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:16 pm

Spoiler:
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Galted wrote:
matrix original concept was much better though, for me though got worse as it went on
I always think of Inception as the Matrix for pretentious people. Exploring the concept of layers of reality and all that nonsense.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
Galted wrote:
I always think of Inception as the Matrix for pretentious people. Exploring the concept of layers of reality and all that nonsense.
i doubt inception would have been thought of if it weren't for the matrix, inception did feel like a bit of a copy

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next