The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 3

+21
trottb
Mad for Chelsea
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
superflyweight
MIG
88Chris05
kwinigolfer
ChequeredJersey
Union Cane
Hero
Adam D
jbeadlesbigrighthand
TopHat24/7
The Womble
JuliusHMarx
seanmichaels
Galted
Stella
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Best films since 1st January 2000

The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 9 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap12%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap11%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 93

The Culture Cup round 3 Empty The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Ok folks, here we are with round 3 of the Culture Cup and the poll for Best film released since the turn of the century

Round 2 is now complete and what a turn around.  Numbers 1 and 2 from round one are the only posters not to score a single point in round two. Yes, michaels and Galted, that means you pair of miscreants.  compelling and rich and The Womble spent most of the round battling each other for first place but it eventually went to c&r who goes flying up the leaderboard.  Same as the last round for me, the best nomination ended up in second place but such is life.  Adam was his usual consistent self with another third place, reinforcing the image we have of him as a desperately middle of the road sort of chap.  Union got some points again which was nice to see.  Poor old ChequeredJersey is in last place with a solitary point, bringing up the rear which is something he will have to get used to studying medicine.

Here are the runners and riders;

compelling & rich (Teenage Kicks): (12) 16
Adam (Who wants to live forever): (8) 16
Hero (Everybody Hurts): (7) 14
The Womble (Heroes): (10) 13
seanmichaels (History): (0) 12
Azzy (Should I stay or should I go): (6) 11
Galted (This is England): (0) 10
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Born to Run): (4) 8
Dolphin Ziggler (You Know You're Right): (1) 7
onlytreblewinners (Photograph): (2) 7
TopHat (Ain't no mountain high enough): (5) 7
superflyweight (Your love keeps lifting me higher): (3) 6
Union (Wonderland): (3) 5
The Boss (Tequila Sunrise): (1) 5
bhb001 (Stairway to Heaven): (5) 5
Julius (Little Red Corvette): (2) 4
Rowley(Days): (2) 4
ChequeredJersey (Changes): (1) 1

Round 4 moves on to TV and the question is Who is the greatest comedy character on TV since the turn of the century?.  Limiting it to choices since the 1st January 2000 produced some really good shouts for round 3 so we will give it another go.  It can be someone from a US series, UK series, a one off show, whatever you want.  So long as the programme they appeared in didn't start to be aired before 1.1.2000.  

For example: Del Boy is not allowed as Only Fools and Horses was aired before the turn of the century (and the show isn't funny either but that's another story).  Hopefully it will get quite a broad spectrum of choices.

Please PM me a couple of choices and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.

Here is the poll for round 3 and it is a good'un.  Remember that it is open for the whole forum to vote!

Thanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 3 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am

Really good round this one. After some deliberation, I have gone for City of God and Argo but could easily have gone for Pans Labyrinth, In Bruges, The Lives of Others, Memento, Inglorious Basterds. All films that I thoroughly enjoyed. Most of the others are pretty good as well but they are standouts for me.

Oldboy is a strange one for me, lots of people on here speak highly of it but I really struggled to get on board with it.

Less said about Moulin Rouge the better.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am

Went with City of God as it was my original first choice and is brilliant. Unlike Tina I loved Oldboy so have gone with that. Enjoyed Argo but as it was only last year and I have only seen it once don't know yet if it stands up to repeated viewing

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:09 am

Went with City Of God and Gladiator.

Others I liked from 2000 onwards were 'Elf' , 'The Pianist' , Lord Of The Rings' 'Up' 'Billy Elliot' etc...
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

Went with Pan's Labyrinth and American Psycho (was a bit of a battle between Walk the Line & American Pscyho for second pick that involved me wasting valuable work time while I pondered).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:14 am

Match Point? WTF.....

Other than my choice the stand out is Walk The Line. Joaquin Phoenix is quality in that (and Signs - an underrated film).

2nd choice is Gladiator. Good fun, and as well as knowing a germanic extra in the film, I walk the in laws dogs at the place where the first battle scene was filmed.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:16 am

seanmichaels wrote:Match Point? WTF......
You didn't like it?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 am

Went for Walk The Line and American Psycho. 2 cracking films which I thoroughly enjoyed. I could watch Walk The Line over and over again.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 am

Whoever went for Match Point please accept my apologies. I though it was 'Wimbledon'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 am

seanmichaels wrote:
(and Signs - an underrated film).

2nd choice is Gladiator. Good fun, and as well as knowing a germanic extra in the film
I assume, going on your rock and roll lifestyle and the fact you are well known celebrity shagger, that when you say you 'know' an extra in Gladiator, you mean you 'slept' with an extra in Gladiator?

I love Signs. I confessed to that on the film snobbery thread. Might even watch it again tonight.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 am

'Wimbledon was p.ss poor egg 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 am

Stella wrote:'Wimbledon was p.ss poor egg 
It was great - Murray won!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

Didn't realise City of God was post 2000! Definitely gets my vote, have seen it multiple times now, absolutely brilliant.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I assume, going on your rock and roll lifestyle and the fact you are well known celebrity shagger, that when you say you 'know' an extra in Gladiator, you mean you 'slept' with an extra in Gladiator?

Oliver Reed would probably be up for it if he was drunk enough.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I assume, going on your rock and roll lifestyle and the fact you are well known celebrity shagger, that when you say you 'know' an extra in Gladiator, you mean you 'slept' with an extra in Gladiator?

Oliver Reed would probably be up for it if he was drunk enough.
Oliver Reed is the only person in history to have shagged more celebrities than michaels.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:26 am

seanmichaels wrote:Match Point? WTF.....

Other than my choice the stand out is Walk The Line. Joaquin Phoenix is quality in that (and Signs - an underrated film).

2nd choice is Gladiator. Good fun, and as well as knowing a germanic extra in the film, I walk the in laws dogs at the place where the first battle scene was filmed.
Signs is not under-rated. It is not possible to rate that film lowly enough. It is a terrible, terrible, terrible film. Full of M Night Shyamalalalalan "twists" that you can see coming a mile off, and stupid events that are the only way the ridiculous plot can work. It's one of the few films I've ever watched that has made me genuinely angry. Ironically enough, one of the others was Unbreakable.

On a more positive note, I went for Pan's Labyrinth and In Bruges. Nearly went for City of God, but just the other day I youtubed the scene from In Bruges where Ralph Fiennes is buying weapons, so I had to go with that.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:27 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
(and Signs - an underrated film).

2nd choice is Gladiator. Good fun, and as well as knowing a germanic extra in the film
I assume, going on your rock and roll lifestyle and the fact you are well known celebrity shagger, that when you say you 'know' an extra in Gladiator, you mean you 'slept' with an extra in Gladiator?

I love Signs.  I confessed to that on the film snobbery thread.  Might even watch it again tonight.
No he was a chap affectionately known as shaggy at the cricket club on the basis of ridiculous hair and questionable personal hygiene. God's honest truth they sent him straight passed make-up as he already looked the part.

All the films are filmed at this place (Potter, Robin Hood, Band of Brothers etc) so I think if I became single I'd head up there for a bit of celebrity nobbing. Apparently Johnny Depp was seen buying a 4 pack in Farnham Sainsbury's last year.

That bit in signs where the 'thing' is first filmed in Mexico gets me everytime. And the hand under the door. Genuinely scary film.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
Signs is not under-rated. It is not possible to rate that film lowly enough. It is a terrible, terrible, terrible film. Full of M Night Shyamalalalalan "twists" that you can see coming a mile off, and stupid events that are the only way the ridiculous plot can work. It's one of the few films I've ever watched that has made me genuinely angry. Ironically enough, one of the others was Unbreakable.

So you're not really that keen on it?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:30 am

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

So you're not really that keen on it?
I could take it or leave it.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 am

I will tell you why Moulin Rouge should win this. In fact I will give you several reasons:

1. Everyone has an opinion on it. They either hate it or love it. 99% of other films, people can be indifferent to. Moulin Rouge always evokes an emotional response (good or bad) and surely thats what entertainment should do.

2. Visually it is stunning. From the sets, to the filmography to the costumes - amazing on every level.

3. The music. The intertwining of ol;d songs and new into the film, and making sense of the lyrics in context of the script is genius.

4. The simplicity of the story. A proper love story told in a beautiful way.

5. Nicole Kidman looking more beautiful than ever before and never again.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 am

Apocalypto was Gibson's best film of the noughties, although he wasn't in it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 am

I'm already intrigued who you've managed to get to vote for it as well as yourself.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 am

Adam D wrote:I will tell you why Moulin Rouge should win this. In fact I will give you several reasons:

1. Everyone has an opinion on it. They either hate it or love it. 99% of other films, people can be indifferent to. Moulin Rouge always evokes an emotional response (good or bad) and surely thats what entertainment should do.

2. Visually it is stunning. From the sets, to the filmography to the costumes - amazing on every level.

3. The music. The intertwining of ol;d songs and new into the film, and making sense of the lyrics in context of the script is genius.

That is the most camp thing I've ever read

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

Adam D wrote:I will tell you why Moulin Rouge should win this. In fact I will give you several reasons:

I applaud your personal strength to be comfortable coming out the closet on an internet forum. clap

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

seanmichaels wrote:

That is the most camp thing I've ever read
Agree Sean and us on boxing used to have a thread about Strictly Come Dancing so do not say such a thing lightly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 am

I'll tell you why Moulin Rouge shouldn't win this.

1. It's a f*****g musical.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 am

I am glad to see some foreign films leading the culture cup.

Of course it will finish with the highly cultured Anchorman and Dark Knight winning.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 am

Nobody is ever indifferent about the work of Tracy Emin, is she the greatest artist ever?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 am

Adam D wrote:I am glad to see some foreign films leading the culture cup.

Of course it will finish with the highly cultured Anchorman and Dark Knight winning.
Yep, once school's finished the voting will change drastically.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 am

Adam D wrote:
Moulin Rouge always evokes an emotional response (good or bad) and surely thats what entertainment should do.
I get that principle, but it invokes such a bad emotional response in me that I am getting angry even thinking about it. I'm a peaceful chap and despite what Truss will have you believe, I don't hit my kids, but that film made me want to staple their faces together and set fire to them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 am

Inception is in second place despite being the third best Nolan film on the list!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

I'd say it was at least 2nd best.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 am

Rowley wrote:
Agree Sean and us on boxing used to have a thread about Strictly Come Dancing so do not say such a thing lightly.
Speaking of that, Jeff, did you see this years line up?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 am

The Culture Cup round 3 3559488474 
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 am

1. Everyone has an opinion on it. They either hate it or love it.
I thought it was OK.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 am

Hero wrote:I'd say it was at least 2nd best.
I would go:

Momento
Dark Knight
Inception

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 am

Rowley wrote:
I have Tina, am looking forward to it. The lovely Rachel Riley is taking part.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 am

Adam D wrote:
Hero wrote:I'd say it was at least 2nd best.
I would go:

Momento
Dark Knight
Inception
I'd go

Memento - Inception tied
Dark Knight a distant third.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 am

Rowley wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I might even get a thread going again the TV section for old times sake.

Be worth it just to see how many people post on it over and over again despite claiming they don't watch it.

If Scotty was around he would be all over it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 am

Rowley wrote:
Rowley wrote:
If she was in an episode of Strictly Come Pole Dancing and Shooting Ping Pong Balls my life would be complete.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am

Rachel Riley is a wonderful selling point, how Feltz guarantees I can't watch without vomit bucket and a perspex barrier protecting the tv screen for when I hurl things at he ugly smug mong face.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Rachel Riley is a wonderful selling point, how Feltz guarantees I can't watch without vomit bucket and a perspex barrier protecting the tv screen for when I hurl things at he ugly smug mong face.
I think thats a mirror you are looking at.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:08 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Rachel Riley is a wonderful selling point, how Feltz guarantees I can't watch without vomit bucket and a perspex barrier protecting the tv screen for when I hurl things at he ugly smug mong face.
So it's agreed - we'll all be voting for Feltz.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 am

Moulin Rouge and Argo in a tough field
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 am

Rachel Riley twerking Bruce Forsyth. That would sell.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:27 am

Stella wrote:Went with City Of God and Gladiator.

Others I liked from 2000 onwards were 'Elf' , 'The Pianist' , Lord Of The Rings' 'Up' 'Billy Elliot' etc...
The Pianist may be in my 10 least favourite films of all time
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:28 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote: and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.
That was a waste of time asking you to help me out a little bit.  Not one of you bothered.

Gits.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 am

Sorry, should have picked Edmund Blackadder and claimed it aired in 2009
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote: and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.
That was a waste of time asking you to help me out a little bit.  Not one of you bothered.

Gits.
Mine aired from 2005/06 onwards OK 

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Sorry, should have picked Edmund Blackadder and claimed it aired in 2009
I'm quite stupid, I would have almost certainly accepted it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next