The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 3

+21
trottb
Mad for Chelsea
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
superflyweight
MIG
88Chris05
kwinigolfer
ChequeredJersey
Union Cane
Hero
Adam D
jbeadlesbigrighthand
TopHat24/7
The Womble
JuliusHMarx
seanmichaels
Galted
Stella
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Best films since 1st January 2000

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 9 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap12%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap11%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 93

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Empty The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Sep 2013, 7:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok folks, here we are with round 3 of the Culture Cup and the poll for Best film released since the turn of the century

Round 2 is now complete and what a turn around.  Numbers 1 and 2 from round one are the only posters not to score a single point in round two. Yes, michaels and Galted, that means you pair of miscreants.  compelling and rich and The Womble spent most of the round battling each other for first place but it eventually went to c&r who goes flying up the leaderboard.  Same as the last round for me, the best nomination ended up in second place but such is life.  Adam was his usual consistent self with another third place, reinforcing the image we have of him as a desperately middle of the road sort of chap.  Union got some points again which was nice to see.  Poor old ChequeredJersey is in last place with a solitary point, bringing up the rear which is something he will have to get used to studying medicine.

Here are the runners and riders;

compelling & rich (Teenage Kicks): (12) 16
Adam (Who wants to live forever): (8) 16
Hero (Everybody Hurts): (7) 14
The Womble (Heroes): (10) 13
seanmichaels (History): (0) 12
Azzy (Should I stay or should I go): (6) 11
Galted (This is England): (0) 10
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Born to Run): (4) 8
Dolphin Ziggler (You Know You're Right): (1) 7
onlytreblewinners (Photograph): (2) 7
TopHat (Ain't no mountain high enough): (5) 7
superflyweight (Your love keeps lifting me higher): (3) 6
Union (Wonderland): (3) 5
The Boss (Tequila Sunrise): (1) 5
bhb001 (Stairway to Heaven): (5) 5
Julius (Little Red Corvette): (2) 4
Rowley(Days): (2) 4
ChequeredJersey (Changes): (1) 1

Round 4 moves on to TV and the question is Who is the greatest comedy character on TV since the turn of the century?.  Limiting it to choices since the 1st January 2000 produced some really good shouts for round 3 so we will give it another go.  It can be someone from a US series, UK series, a one off show, whatever you want.  So long as the programme they appeared in didn't start to be aired before 1.1.2000.  

For example: Del Boy is not allowed as Only Fools and Horses was aired before the turn of the century (and the show isn't funny either but that's another story).  Hopefully it will get quite a broad spectrum of choices.

Please PM me a couple of choices and can you please let me know the date the programme was aired so I don't have to spend time looking it up.

Here is the poll for round 3 and it is a good'un.  Remember that it is open for the whole forum to vote!

Thanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 3

Post by Galted Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:24 pm

Laugh 

Don't think you need to be gay to enjoy Brokeback Mountain any more than you need to be a serial killer to enjoy se7en or a pedo to enjoy Once Were Warriors.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:41 pm

yeah but you know what I mean. wingrove would understand. on topic, re walk the line, listening to johnny cash. i think hurt is probably the best song ever?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:21 pm

seanmichaels wrote:yeah but you know what I mean. wingrove would understand. on topic, re walk the line, listening to johnny cash. i think hurt is probably the best song ever?
I bloody hope you voted for it in the music cup then!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:24 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:yeah but you know what I mean. wingrove would understand. on topic, re walk the line, listening to johnny cash. i think hurt is probably the best song ever?
I bloody hope you voted for it in the music cup then!
wasn't part of the comp then but i think i may have anyway thumbsup 

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:20 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:I voted In Bruges and nowt else. Apart from that one, I've only seen Warrior, Gladiator, The Dark Knight and Argo from the list and none of them would I say were the best from 2000 on. I dunno what might be better but balls to the movie industry if nothing has been.

Don't get me wrong, they do have their redeeming features. Warrior had Start A War by The National on it. Gladiator had tigers. Argo had beards. The Dark Knight killed Heath Ledger.

But none of that is enough to garner a vote from me. Sorry.
Always found In Bruges to be very overrated, mainly because it wasnt a big hit so people over justify enjoying it. I preferred Seven Psychopaths

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 09 Sep 2013, 6:10 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:I voted In Bruges and nowt else. Apart from that one, I've only seen Warrior, Gladiator, The Dark Knight and Argo from the list and none of them would I say were the best from 2000 on. I dunno what might be better but balls to the movie industry if nothing has been.

Don't get me wrong, they do have their redeeming features. Warrior had Start A War by The National on it. Gladiator had tigers. Argo had beards. The Dark Knight killed Heath Ledger.

But none of that is enough to garner a vote from me. Sorry.
Always found In Bruges to be very overrated, mainly because it wasnt a big hit so people over justify enjoying it. I preferred Seven Psychopaths
Felt the same about In Bruges - decent film but no idea what the fuss was about. Seven Psychopaths started off well but lost its way once they went into the desert which, unfortunately, comprises quite a large chunk of the film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 09 Sep 2013, 6:11 am

seanmichaels wrote:yeah but you know what I mean. wingrove would understand.
He's surprisingly tolerant of such things.  Has seen it happening when he's been scent-marking his territory on Clapham Common and hasn't really reacted, I think he assumes it's some form of wrestling.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 09 Sep 2013, 6:59 am

The Nolan films are all excellent, Gladiator is a classic and was my second choice and I love American Psycho. There's a few on there it seems I should wat h like city of god and argo

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:14 am

onlytreblewinners wrote:The Nolan films are all excellent, Gladiator is a classic and was my second choice and I love American Psycho. There's a few on there it seems I should wat h like city of god and argo
Go out and buy City of God this afternoon and watch it tonight. Incredibly good film.

Argo is terrific. Didn't watch it that long ago but would happily watch it again. Probably the first film for about 3 years that my wife has watched in silence as well. Ben Affleck is really talented behind the camera. Argo, Good Will Hunting and The Town are all superb. He just has a few turkeys on his CV as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:00 am

I watched The Human Centipede (First Sequence) over the weekend, I wish I'd seen it before sending in my nominations for this round.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:02 am

Union Cane wrote:I watched The Human Centipede (First Sequence) over the weekend, I wish I'd seen it before sending in my nominations for this round.
Have you seen the second one? Even more disturbed.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:05 am

They made a second one? The first was weird but to weird to be disturbing.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:07 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Union Cane wrote:I watched The Human Centipede (First Sequence) over the weekend, I wish I'd seen it before sending in my nominations for this round.
Have you seen the second one?  Even more disturbed.
Haven't seen it yet, although it is high on my must watch list. Excellent stuff.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:44 am

Union Cane wrote:
Have you seen the second one?  Even more disturbed.
Haven't seen it yet, although it is high on my must watch list. Excellent stuff.
First one was amusing in a sick way, but not enough to go for a second time!! Apparently he has an idea for a trilology on this one!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:08 am

Wonder what Sir David would make of a human centipede Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:10 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Wonder what Sir David would make of a human centipede Shocked
He would be outraged, Azzy. Outraged.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:16 am

I bet there are some handy beetles that would still triumph. From what I've seen of that film, humans don't make great centipedes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I bet there are some handy beetles that would still triumph. From what I've seen of that film, humans don't make great centipedes.
I doubt centipedes would make great humans either. The shoe bill alone would make it prohibitive.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

The continuative (that a word?) digestive tract was the rankest bit.... vomit 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:24 am

The Human Centipede lacks the gritty realism of that other film - the one where the guy dresses up as a bat and fights a bloke wearing white make-up and lipstick.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I doubt centipedes would make great humans either.  The shoe bill alone would make it prohibitive.  
Surely the crazy German Centipede Scientist (Arzt Tausendfüßler ?) would lure unsuspecting centipede tourists into his lair and slice them up to make humans, in which case they would each have two feet, making the cost of footwear reasonably affordable.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:30 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:The Human Centipede lacks the gritty realism of that other film - the one where the guy dresses up as a bat and fights a bloke wearing white make-up and lipstick.
The Culture Cup round 3 - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRytTplNFJh7yQnso5X3WoGfjhxPfmKIzp4ti2O7dkK8gikTyPG2Hd4tR5W-A

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:31 am

Union Cane wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I doubt centipedes would make great humans either.  The shoe bill alone would make it prohibitive.  
Surely the crazy German Centipede Scientist (Arzt Tausendfüßler ?) would lure unsuspecting centipede tourists into his lair and slice them up to make humans, in which case they would each have two feet, making the cost of footwear reasonably affordable.
Good point.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:35 am

I'd have thought that Tausendfüßler would be a millipede rather than a centipede, (which by my reckoning should be a Hundertfüßler), but having looked it up it is. Those crazy Germans have the same word for both.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:37 am

Union Cane wrote:I'd have thought that Tausendfüßler would be a millipede rather than a centipede, (which by my reckoning should be a Hundertfüßler), but having looked it up it is. Those crazy Germans have the same word for both.
That is just silly then. There is a world of difference between the two species. One is a vegetarian and the other is a brutal, relentless killing machine that eats snakes amongst other things.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:45 am

Perhaps shower chamber is another word they struggled with as well then in the past?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:06 pm

When's Round 4 going up?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:08 pm

Nothing like an "Is that or isn't it a holocaust joke?" comment to kill a thread...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:10 pm

The Womble wrote:When's Round 4 going up?
What is round 4?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

I know, was waiting for a Tumbleweed 

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

Not sure really. As of this morning I now have everyone's nominations so I might put it up in the morning, maybe Wednesday. There are still votes trickling in so I will have a look tonight and decide.

I will send out the question for rd 5 which is back to books, but there will have to be a short hiatus after that. I am away from the 16th to the 24th September which I had completely forgotten about when I agreed to run the cup.

It will give you all a rest as it must be draining being a cultural bunch.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:17 pm

Stella wrote:
What is round 4?
The round after round 3.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:18 pm

I shall use 16th - 24th Sept to catch up on modern art from the year 2000 onwards.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:19 pm

Stella wrote:
What is round 4?
The round after round 3.
Basta.d Very Happy 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:20 pm

Stella wrote:
Stella wrote:
What is round 4?
The round after round 3.
Basta.d Very Happy 
Laugh 

Tino wrote:
Round 4 moves on to TV and the question is Who is the greatest comedy character on TV since the turn of the century?.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:21 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I shall use 16th - 24th Sept to catch up on modern art from the year 2000 onwards.
Let it go, Marx.  Let it go.

Round 5 will have no restrictions.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

Stella wrote:
Stella wrote:
What is round 4?
The round after round 3.
Basta.d Very Happy 
Laugh 

Tino wrote:
Round 4 moves on to TV and the question is Who is the greatest comedy character on TV since the turn of the century?.
Aah, Brent then.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I shall use 16th - 24th Sept to catch up on modern art from the year 2000 onwards.
Laugh 
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Stella wrote:
Stella wrote:
Stella wrote:
What is round 4?
The round after round 3.
Basta.d Very Happy 
Laugh 

Tino wrote:
Aah, Brent then.
Hopefully not. He's Gervais at his best, true, but Tim Henman at his best was still somewhere short of top class
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:17 pm

You won't be surprised to know that someone has picked him, but he won't be getting my vote. Brent was hilarious but there are some better choices on the list.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:You won't be surprised to know that someone has picked him, but he won't be getting my vote.  Brent was hilarious but there are some better choices on the list.
Is now the time to mention my heroically principled stance on Brent Tina?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:24 pm

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:You won't be surprised to know that someone has picked him, but he won't be getting my vote.  Brent was hilarious but there are some better choices on the list.
Probably not, Jeff.

You currently have one of my votes as you've picked a genius, but I am undecided on t'other vote.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

Rowley wrote:
Probably not, Jeff.  

You currently have one of my votes as you've picked a genius, but I am undecided on t'other vote.

go for my nomination Tino, a very funny character played by an even funnier actor!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm

Does that mean I need to be nice to you Tina so as not to lose the vote?

May have to put you on my foe list so I can avoid my natural instinct to try and annoy you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:28 pm

Rowley wrote:Does that mean I need to be nice to you Tina so as not to lose the vote?

May have to put you on my foe list so I can avoid my natural instinct to try and annoy you.
No, it is only as you have picked someone so brilliant that I won't be changing.

Trust me, if I could think of a reason not to vote for your nomination, I would have.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:30 pm

The Womble wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Probably not, Jeff.  

go for my nomination Tino, a very funny character played by an even funnier actor!
Sorry Womble, old pal, I have never seen it so can't really comment!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:47 pm

The Womble wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Probably not, Jeff.  

Sorry Womble, old pal, I have never seen it so can't really comment!
Really? You should, it's very funny.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:55 pm

You need to be voting for my pick (steady - I said "pick"), Tina.

Can I just remind you of the line "would you like to receive some swollen goods".

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

superflyweight wrote:You need to be voting for my pick (steady - I said "pick"), Tina.  

Can I just remind you of the line "would you like to receive some swollen goods".    
"Accounts? That's just your job though".

He's a contender, super. Hero, annoyingly, has also picked a brilliant one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Sep 2013, 3:17 pm

i presume i got one of my first 2 as the 3rd is ineligible?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next