The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not?

+23
rodders
asoreleftshoulder
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
Notch
ME-109
profitius
OzT
boomeranga
GoodinTightSpaces
slane
the-goon
LordDowlais
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
The Boss
aucklandlaurie
GloriousEmpire
Blueschief
Rory_Gallagher
theslosty
The Saint
maestegmafia
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not? - Page 2 Empty Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not?

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am a huge admirer of Schmit, though I think we were all admirers of Deans at crusaders too.
Can Schmidt do what Kidney and O'Sullivan couldn't with the Irishnational team...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not? - Page 2 Empty Re: Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not?

Post by Notch Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I think the difference is they are buying into the gameplan more. By mix do you mean they revert to type when the pressure comes on? Because that what seems to happen a bit with Munster but there were certainly periods when Munster were very positive and attacked and offloaded to great effect. POMs outrageous back heel flick also rivalled anything Simon Zebo can do.
Ah don't be a sap, there's no way he meant to do that! Any rugby player in that situation will be thinking 'Fly hack the ball over the line and go down on it'. Not backheel the ball into the arms of a support player who probably hasn't even given you a call. Can you imagine the reaction if someone tried that and it didn't work Laugh 

The Simon Zebo flick was different, that was his only way to control a poor pass that was behind him. O'Mahony will have been wanting to dribble the ball and score the try himself hence getting the individual glory, just like any respectable winger. It just happened to get caught under his feet and bounce up flukily for Coughlan. I was glad they did score because the grubber to set up the chance deserved a try, and two unmarked players holding their width mean it would have been a massive missed opportunity if it hadn't been scored.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not? - Page 2 Empty Re: Will joe Schmit be another Robbie Deans at international level rugby or not?

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:13 pm

The Saint wrote:Laugh I'm no Ospreys fan, but yeah, them wiping the floor with the Irish over past 2-3 seasons never actually happened.
That's some way to twist what I said,read the post and try again.For one thing my post only concerned Leinster.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:18 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The Saint wrote:Laugh I'm no Ospreys fan, but yeah, them wiping the floor with the Irish over past 2-3 seasons never actually happened.
That's some way to twist what I said,read the post and try again.For one thing my post only concerned Leinster.
They beat you twice in Dubin in play-off finals. When they last won it meant that they had beaten Leinster 3 times in that year (can't remember what it was the previous year but it was probably 2 from 2). They followed up the next year by winning their home game in which they also rotated their squad as it was early in the season. They lost convincingly then at the end of last year. They would probably admit that too, so less of the excuses when it comes to losing for rugby's sake. Anyway, you play each other 4 times this year, and maybe a fifth time in the play-offs. Looking forward to it?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:32 am

The Saint wrote:
They beat you twice in Dubin in play-off finals. When they last won it meant that they had beaten Leinster 3 times in that year (can't remember what it was the previous year but it was probably 2 from 2). They followed up the next year by winning their home game in which they also rotated their squad as it was early in the season. They lost convincingly then at the end of last year. They would probably admit that too, so less of the excuses when it comes to losing for rugby's sake. Anyway, you play each other 4 times this year, and maybe a fifth time in the play-offs. Looking forward to it?

I don't think Schmidts Leinster got found out by Ospreys. Ospreys are a good side and full of internationals and were in form yet everything had to go their way to win the match. They made the game into a scrap. Leinster were also complacent against them in a few matches when they had the lead.

From an Ireland perspective Schmidt is known to be a good tactician and adapts his tactics and team selection depending on the opposition. I think hes really top class and with Kiss and Plumbtree in defense and forward coaching roles it will make things interesting.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:48 am

profitius wrote:
The Saint wrote:
I don't think Schmidts Leinster got found out by Ospreys. Ospreys are a good side and full of internationals and were in form yet everything had to go their way to win the match. They made the game into a scrap. Leinster were also complacent against them in a few matches when they had the lead.

From an Ireland perspective Schmidt is known to be a good tactician and adapts his tactics and team selection depending on the opposition. I think hes really top class and with Kiss and Plumbtree in defense and forward coaching roles it will make things interesting.
What game are you talking about? That was Schmidt's Leinster that they beat 3 times that year. All the Irish teams were found out by Ospreys once they stopped them from slowing down and flopping all over the breakdown. That's not a WUM, it is what I witnessed.

I agree with you on Schmidt, he's a great coach. Question is, will the Leinster way work for the Munster players playing for Ireland? Whistle 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:57 am

The Saint wrote:
What game are you talking about? That was Schmidt's Leinster that they beat 3 times that year. All the Irish teams were found out by Ospreys once they stopped them from slowing down and flopping all over the breakdown. That's not a WUM, it is what I witnessed.

I agree with you on Schmidt, he's a great coach. Question is, will the Leinster way work for the Munster players playing for Ireland? Whistle 

Oh so that was Schmidts masterplan. Slow down the game and start flopping!! OK 
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Sep 2013, 10:10 am

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I think the difference is they are buying into the gameplan more. By mix do you mean they revert to type when the pressure comes on? Because that what seems to happen a bit with Munster but there were certainly periods when Munster were very positive and attacked and offloaded to great effect. POMs outrageous back heel flick also rivalled anything Simon Zebo can do.
Ah don't be a sap, there's no way he meant to do that! Any rugby player in that situation will be thinking 'Fly hack the ball over the line and go down on it'. Not backheel the ball into the arms of a support player who probably hasn't even given you a call. Can you imagine the reaction if someone tried that and it didn't work Laugh 

The Simon Zebo flick was different, that was his only way to control a poor pass that was behind him. O'Mahony will have been wanting to dribble the ball and score the try himself hence getting the individual glory, just like any respectable winger. It just happened to get caught under his feet and bounce up flukily for Coughlan. I was glad they did score because the grubber to set up the chance deserved a try, and two unmarked players holding their width mean it would have been a massive missed opportunity if it hadn't been scored.
It was a joke Notch, settle down.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The first playoff final Cheika was in charge so that's irrelevant to Schmidts abilities.The 2nd time they beat us in the Rabo final we had played the HC final the week before while the O's had been resting up since the Rabo semi.We lost Healy and SoB to injury in the HC final and Mike Ross went off injured after 10 minutes.The game was won by the O's scrum which forced us to concede 2 yellow cards but we still scored 3 good tries.The O's deserved the win and fair play to them but to say that they found us out when they won by 1 point after all those things went their way isn't really a fair appraisal.

I don't really rate any of the other games played between the teams as neither side has put their first team out but I do remember at least one of those games was also won by the O's scrum when Schmidt chose to play a LH at TH for the last 20 minutes instead of taking the easy option of going to uncontested scrums.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:29 pm

I wasn't sure if you were referring to just Cheika's Leinster. Okay, so what about all the other times they beat you? Can only play what's in front of you and I'm not going to waste my time commenting on what should have went the Ospreys way in that final, I might sound like I'm making excuses (like you are, and all other fans did at the time) on their behalf. Beating Leinster 3 times that year and again when they faced each other early in the following season tells me that they had been found out.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 12 Sep 2013, 12:55 pm

We obviously disagree on what found out means.To me it means the other team can't land a blow no matter how hard they try which obviously didn't happen in the matches between Leinster and the O's.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:24 pm

5 wins on the trot is a bit of a blow if you ask me.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 13 Sep 2013, 7:49 pm

The Saint wrote:5 wins on the trot is a bit of a blow if you ask me.
Where did I say the O's didn't land a blow on Leinster?Seriously try reading the post a couple of times to make sure you understand it before replying,

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 14 Sep 2013, 1:10 am

Maybe they're just Leinsters bogey team? Maybe its a case of the Ospreys are able to get under their skin and put them off? It could be a combination of meeting Leinster at the right time regarding Leinsters fitness.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:11 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Where did I say the O's didn't land a blow on Leinster?Seriously try reading the post a couple of times to make sure you understand it before replying,
You insinuated that when you wrote:

asoreleftshoulder wrote:To me it means the other team can't land a blow no matter how hard they try which obviously didn't happen in the matches between Leinster and the O's.
thumbsup 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm

profitius wrote:Maybe they're just Leinsters bogey team? Maybe its a case of the Ospreys are able to get under their skin and put them off? It could be a combination of meeting Leinster at the right time regarding Leinsters fitness.
Maybe a bit of both. Though a lot of teams have struggled playing the Ospreys because they're quite strong up front. Leinster seem to have turned it around now anyway, I expect them to win the game which is about to kick off.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm

The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
You insinuated that when you wrote:

asoreleftshoulder wrote:To me it means the other team can't land a blow no matter how hard they try which obviously didn't happen in the matches between Leinster and the O's.
thumbsup 

No I didn't I was referring to the fact that while Leinster lost those matches you couldn't say Leinster didn't land a blow.I made no comment on the Ospreys who obviously did land several big blows.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 14 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm

profitius wrote:Maybe they're just Leinsters bogey team? Maybe its a case of the Ospreys are able to get under their skin and put them off? It could be a combination of meeting Leinster at the right time regarding Leinsters fitness.
For Leinster read Ireland..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:53 am

Schmidts big job will be moving the transition between Ireland's elder players and the new comers.

I think he was doing quite well with that at Leinster. Hope to see plenty of new faces this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:Schmidts big job will be moving the transition between Ireland's elder players and the new comers.

I think he was doing quite well with that at Leinster. Hope to see plenty of new faces this season.
I agree, players your likely to see drafted in are Jack Mcgrath (loose head) Stuart Olding (centre) Kieran Marmion (scrum half) Tommy O`Donnell (7)

There are a few others but with Schmidt he will likely look to rest players and build depth, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few new faces come the 6 nations as well as already having the likes of Marshall, Zebo, Gilroy and Henderson from last year.

Some very talented players coming through, I can;t wait to see what Schmidt does with Ireland, if he has a full deck of cards come the 6 nations (including Ferris) we could be in for one hell of a tournament.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Sep 2013, 3:52 pm

Hi Praise from Paul O'Connell for Joe Schmidt on PR.com

Paul O'Connell believes Joe Schmidt will have no trouble adjusting to Test rugby in his new role as Ireland coach following his solid stint with Leinster

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3558_8938718,00.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:21 pm

Joe is a far better man manager than O'Sullivan and is infinitely more tactically astute than Kidney.

Unfortunately for him he doesn't have anywhere near as good players has his 2 predecessors. If he is to be more successful he'll have to do it with a combination of fading stars and unproven youngsters.

If he can get us on an upward trajectory and playing positive rugby I'll be happy - the results will take care of themselves.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:26 pm

I dunno Rodders. From following underage rugby I think we're in a mini transition period now but in 1-3 seasons Schmidt will have more options than Kidney or EOS ever had.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm

Yeah Prof I don't put a lot of store on underage rugby, I don't think its a great indicator of ability at senior level - that's just an opinion though I don't have any stats of the top of my head on the matter.

I just know that over the past 5-6 seasons the amount of genuinely world class players we have produced to fill the void left by the likes of Wallace, Flannery, Leamy, Shaggy, ROG,Hayes (and soon to be BOD, POC and D'arcy) etc. is fairly low.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:35 pm

Schmidt has done some good work building that Leinster academy into something pretty impressive during his time there. I know he didnt do it personally but we have seen a constant flow of players passing through Leinster and the quality rarely drops.

He really could be a great bloke to take ireland through the same phase.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:08 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I am a huge admirer of Schmit, though I think we were all admirers of Deans at crusaders too.
Can Schmidt do what Kidney and O'Sullivan couldn't with the Irishnational team...?
Well, where Kidney went wrong, was not playing to the strengths of our best players.  He wanted to play a game based on the physicality of our pack and seemingly create a gap out of nowhere in the backs.  Most seemed to come from crashing it up the odd time in midfield.  Unfortunately we don't actually have the most physical forwards or backs out there, so this was never going to work.  So hopefully Schmidt will do as he has with Leinster and play a more mobile game that suits the players we have.

I genuinely believe the current crop of players coming up through the ranks has huge talent, and we have better depth than we have ever had before in many positions.  There are still a few problem positions, but I think Schmidt is spoilt for talent in other places.p.
Interestingly, I read today that Schmidt seemed a wee bit worried about the lack of depth (you can tell he isn't Scotland's coach then!). Whether that is a genuine concern or him just tempering expectations, time will tell.

I have to say that I haven't seen a marked drop off in the provinces this season although Ulster's results have been pretty poor by their own standards.

I liked the way he had Leinster playing and, even though I am Scottish, I wish him well and hope he gets your national side playing the same style(with a bit less success would be nice, though)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:18 pm

rodders wrote:Joe is a far better man manager than O'Sullivan and is infinitely more tactically astute than Kidney.

Unfortunately for him he doesn't have anywhere near as good players has his 2 predecessors. If he is to be more successful he'll have to do it with a combination of fading stars and unproven youngsters.

If he can get us on an upward trajectory and playing positive rugby I'll be happy - the results will take care of themselves.
Making excuses already. He has basically the same players as kidney had with the possible exception of a waning BOD. The benchmark has been set by DK he got the grand slam and while he did not push on from that, especially with the demise of the Munster team as the backbone of the GS winning side, the side he finished with contained the best of what is/was available. Yes he might not have been tactically astute, but in the majority of his teams he played the best available.

As Joe the messiah is such a tactically astute coach as he showed with an inherited team, lets see how he goes with Ireland.
Having said that I expect him to do well, unfortunately he will suffer from the exact same reasons DK suffered. That is to say a limited playing pool, big stars on the wane and the inability of players to step up from HC to int'l level. I hope I am wrong

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:09 am

ME-109 wrote:
rodders wrote:Joe is a far better man manager than O'Sullivan and is infinitely more tactically astute than Kidney.

Making excuses already. He has basically the same players as kidney had with the possible exception of a waning BOD. The benchmark has been set by DK he got the grand slam and while he did not push on from that, especially with the demise of the Munster team as the backbone of the GS winning side, the side he finished with contained the best of what is/was available. Yes he might not have been tactically astute, but in the majority of his teams he played the best available.

As Joe the messiah is such a tactically astute coach as he showed with an inherited team, lets see how he goes with Ireland.
Having said that I expect him to do well, unfortunately he will suffer from the exact same reasons DK suffered. That is to say a limited playing pool, big stars on the wane and the inability of players to step up from HC to int'l level. I hope I am wrong

Or the inability of the coaches to get the best out of them.

Going back to the rotation debate, Ireland suffered by Kidney keeping faith with out of form players. I hope Schmidt is more ruthless in that regard.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:05 am

ME-109 wrote:

Apart from ROG, David Wallace, Ferris, Hayes, Flannery, Murphy, Horgan, Leamy - not to mention BOD, POC, DOC, Reddan, Cullen, Ross, D'arcy, Jennings all being clearly on the slide - possibly Bowe and Heaslip to some degree too from their 09/10 peak.

Schmidt has already highlighted the lack of depth as a problem and to be honest that is putting a positive spin because there is a real lack of quality in certain positions too imo.

The prop situation is dire, as are the midfield options - behind an aging POC and inexperienced Henderson the other locks are journeymen and even the backrow is not the area of strength it was. All of the tens have had pretty poor starts to the season too which is worrying.

Its not all doom and gloom but Schmidt has huge challenges ahead and expectations need to be realistic. I can see us really struggling this autumn and finishing pretty low in the 6N, if not the bottom of the table.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 25 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

We beat them well last year, the year before that they beat us well once and by a point twice. I was a draw in the last game. They were a bogey team because we found it hard to beat them, but they were pretty much the only one we've had any trouble with over the last few years.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:05 am

rodders wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Apart from ROG, David Wallace, Ferris, Hayes, Flannery, Murphy, Horgan, Leamy - not to mention BOD, POC, DOC, Reddan, Cullen, Ross, D'arcy, Jennings all being clearly on the slide - possibly Bowe and Heaslip to some degree too from their 09/10 peak.

Schmidt has already highlighted the lack of depth as a problem and to be honest that is putting a positive spin because there is a real lack of quality in certain positions too imo.

The prop situation is dire, as are the midfield options - behind an aging POC and inexperienced Henderson the other locks are journeymen and even the backrow is not the area of strength it was. All of the tens have had pretty poor starts to the season too which is worrying.

Its not all doom and gloom but Schmidt has huge challenges ahead and expectations need to be realistic. I can see us really struggling this autumn and finishing pretty low in the 6N, if not the bottom of the table.

Replacements:
ROG: Sexton - most here would claim he is a better player than ROG.
David Wallace - Sean O'Brien - most here would claim he is a better player than ROG.
Ferris - is he finished? POM is a fine player - and will be world class in 2-3 years.
Hayes - irriplacable
Flannery was world class - if Best could sort out his throwing, he would be too.
Murphy & Horgan ? no worries over them - loads of top backs.
Leamy - Tommy O'Donnell looks to be very similar to Leamy.
BOD - only one that hasn't been replaced yet.
POC - still around for another 2 years at least - Schmidt hopefully will get to play him a bit more than Kidney did hopefully.
DOC - still 2 years and D Ryan is a good replacement.
Reddan - never top class anyway. Murray way better.
Cullen - a here Very Happy - not that hard to replace Cullen
Ross - only stop gap anyway. Looks like there might be better prospects coming through.
D'arcy - at least 2-3 waiting to take over from him
Jennings? - Very Happy 
Bowe - still around
Heaslip - still around for another 2-3 years.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:35 am

Sin é wrote:Replacements:
ROG:   Sexton - most here would claim he is a better player than ROG.
David Wallace - Sean O'Brien - most here would claim he is a better player than ROG.
Ferris - is he finished?  POM is a fine player - and will be world class in 2-3 years.
Hayes - irriplacable
Flannery was world class - if Best could sort out his throwing, he would be too.
Murphy & Horgan  ?    no worries over them - loads of top backs.
Leamy - Tommy O'Donnell looks to be very similar to Leamy.
BOD - only one that hasn't been replaced yet.
POC - still around for another 2 years at least - Schmidt hopefully will get to play him a bit more than Kidney did hopefully.
DOC - still 2 years and D Ryan is a good replacement.
Reddan - never top class anyway. Murray way better.
Cullen - a here Very Happy - not that hard to replace Cullen
Ross - only stop gap anyway. Looks like there might be better prospects coming through.
D'arcy -  at least 2-3 waiting to take over from him
Jennings? -  Very Happy 
Bowe -  still around
Heaslip - still around for another 2-3 years.

You're taking my comments too literally. What I mean is we have lost a lot of experienced proven international players over the past 4-5 seasons and whilst some of them weren't necessarily starters they added depth and competition to the squad. For example without Flannery there is no real competition at hooker and without ROG there is no debate at 10. Leamy was a fading force but at least provided solid cover across the backrow. Cullen the same at lock.

I think you are being generous to say DOC and POC have 2 years in them, DOC is already way below international quality and POC whilst still capable of the odd huge performance is becoming a bit part player due to injury. Same with BOD.

There are lots of guys with potential - Murray, POM, Henderson, Marshall, Jackson,Madigan - but they all have a lot to learn and prove.

Not sure who all these better prospects are than Ross...

If you look at the English premiership or at the panel the Welsh have available I do think we are in a bit of trouble.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm

The thing is Rodders DK won a GS. He left last year and Joe der messiah has basically the same group of players as DK had for the last two years. When available DK mostly picked his best players, give or take some debate over one or two positions. Schmidt has the same group if it is just down to tactics which has been the argument over the last few years then we should see a bounce...no?

My guess is for example he will go with BOD and Darcy as his preferred starting centre partnership, against the ABs I would expect there to be very little change from DKs strongest team. Plus ca change!!! Lets see how they do.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:35 pm

geez...DOC, BOD, ROG, POD and soon we'll even have a POM in the Irish side....Yahoo 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:56 pm

Oh jeez typical Kiwi...

Its POC. POM is already in the side and its possible TOD will join....

Cant wait for the ABs in November and the first press conference with Anordinary Kiwi...

Reporter - What do you think of the opposition and the players you are coming up against.

Anordinary Kiwi - Awwwr Mate, dem irish are as mad as a meat axe...its great to be here in pommieland. I am looking forward to a few stubbies, some fush and chups and playing against Brian O'Connell and Paul O'Driscoll - one of the best scrumhalves in the world....

Reporter - This is Ireland not the UK and Paul O'Connell is the second row.

Anordinary Kiwi - yeaaahh right mate...was getting mixed up with Wales there. You guys have the funny bag pipes and wear skirts right? As for O'Connell...yeah like you say he is a great 50th third eight, brilliant. Sorry bout that I didn't take much notice in Geography class this is the northern hemisphere right?

(I understand that the use of a large word like "hemisphere" might not necessarily be attributable to a Kiwi but there is some poetic license here).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:31 am

ME-109 wrote:The thing is Rodders DK won a GS. He left last year and Joe der messiah has basically the same group of players as DK had for the last two years. When available DK mostly picked his best players, give or take some debate over one or two positions. Schmidt has the same group if it is just down to tactics which has been the argument over the last few years then we should see a bounce...no?

My guess is for example he will go with BOD and Darcy as his preferred starting centre partnership, against the ABs I would expect there to be very little change from DKs strongest team. Plus ca change!!! Lets see how they do.
Yes as I have said clearly I expect an uptick in performance but whether that will manifest into better results in the short term I'm not sure as in my opinion our playing panel is continuing to deteriorate - i.e. we are losing better players than we are replacing them with.

What I am expecting is the hall marks of Schmidt play - good breakdown work and quick ball ... short passes and good angles of running, support play. Hopefully the odd innovative back move but for me the key strengths of Leinster under Joe were around the presentation of ball and breakdown clearouts, which produce quick attacking ball....the basics done well.

What I would expect not to see is the laboured delivery from scrumhalf to a deep standing backline, aimless kicking and the directionless play we saw under Kidney.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

Blueschief wrote:I think Schmidt will do a good job, the Leinster boys seem to love him, and for a coach that's half the battle.
Surely that's a third if the battle, if not a quarter?

Seriously, I'm worried (from a Welsh perspective) that he'll do an excellent job.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm

Anordinary Kiwi - Awwwr Mate, dem irish are as mad as a meat axe

Why would a Kiwi speak like an Irishman, ME-109?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:08 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Anordinary Kiwi - Awwwr Mate, dem irish are as mad as a meat axe

Why would a Kiwi speak like an Irishman, ME-109?

Yeah. Poor attempt all right. Couldn't do the phonetics.,

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:22 pm

Think of your thumb and put that with the voiced th and you'll get the right vowel shift.

The yeah, no combinator is always good for authenticity as well.

The Australian Billy Birmingham went with the stereotypical Kiwi accent for Martin Crowe at 5:51. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVz10IbTNaU Doesn't sound anything like him but it's funny because it takes the p out of the things Aussies pick up in a NZ accent.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2