The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby?

+13
Taylorman
asoreleftshoulder
The Saint
whocares
fa0019
Hood83
kiakahaaotearoa
GunsGerms
maestegmafia
rodders
tigerleghorn
Biltong
GloriousEmpire
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby? Empty Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby?

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:24 am

If Richie McCaw never plays NH club rugby can he still be considered a great of the game?

Players like Brad Thorn tipped off a grand career by casually collecting the NHs most prized club rugby. A true legend.

If Richie never taps this dimension will there have been something missing? For example he may never learn Richard Cockerill's true feelings on the new scrum engagement laws and how vital the NH clubs would have been had they been consulted.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby? Empty Re: Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby?

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:31 am

No, he can't.

The epitome of Rugby Union is to play in every competition in the world you can't stake a claim for being a great unless you have won every trophy in the book. Whistle 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby? Empty Re: Can Richie McCaw be considered a true great without NH club rugby?

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:59 am

Only when he wins the Top League in Japan can be truly be considered great, at the moment he is mediocre.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:05 am

Didn't he play for Perpignan for awhile a few seasons ago? I'm sure he was in their team when Tigers played them in the H cup.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:08 am

He's welcome to join Ulster if he feels his CV is lacking Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

tigerleghorn wrote:Didn't he play for Perpignan for awhile a few seasons ago? I'm sure he was in their team when Tigers played them in the H cup.
No Dan Carter played for Perpignan. It would be an easy mistake for you, they are both famous All Blacks.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:13 am

Brad Thorne got lucky with Leinster. He joined a team at the crest of a wave who were already favorites to lift the trophy. He made a contribution but chances are Leinster would have won it anyway. He will only ever be considered a blow in a Leinster.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:27 am

Brad Thorn on the other hand won every major trophy. Still doesn't come close to what Richie has achieved over his career. That's how good he is.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:32 am

maestegmafia wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:Didn't he play for Perpignan for awhile a few seasons ago? I'm sure he was in their team when Tigers played them in the H cup.
No Dan Carter played for Perpignan. It would be an easy mistake for you, they are both famous All Blacks.
Oh dear, that's what happens when you try to read after a heavy mid week libation. Sorry guys.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:41 am

GunsGerms wrote:Brad Thorne got lucky with Leinster. He joined a team at the crest of a wave who were already favorites to lift the trophy. He made a contribution but chances are Leinster would have won it anyway. He will only ever be considered a blow in a Leinster.
Sorry but I don't agree, he made a huge difference to Leinster and I don't believe they'd have beaten Clermont without him - he was incredible in that game. Leinster's scrum and breakdown hasn't been the same since he left, he may have been only there short term but he filled the huge hole left by Hines another player who was key for Leinster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:50 am

You are only saying that because Leinster hammered Ulster with a record score in the final. Leinster already had a winning record v Clermont in the knockout stages. Leinster defo needed a second row after Hines left but I dont think it would have made a massive difference who we had there as long as they were anyway decent. I would have much preferred to just hold onto Hines than offer a mercenary a cheap medal to be honest.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:00 am

No I'm saying that because Leinster tight 5 wasn't good enough without Hines to win the Heino, something Joe Schmidt knew which is why he bought Thorn.

Thorn was the best player on the pitch against Clermont, they simply couldn't move him at the breakdown.

You are being incredibly arrogant and disrespectful to one or the greatest players ever to play the game and one who made a huge contribution to your team in a short time.

Leinster got lucky with Thorn, not the other way round. That's not to say Leinster weren't a fantastic side already but the tight 5 was a big Achilles heel without him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:01 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:If Richie McCaw never plays NH club rugby can he still be considered a great of the game?

Players like Brad Thorn tipped off a grand career by casually collecting the NHs most prized club rugby. A true legend.

If Richie never taps this dimension will there have been something missing? For example he may never learn Richard Cockerill's true feelings on the new scrum engagement laws and how vital the NH clubs would have been had they been consulted.
100% agree. Not a great until he pulls on the Newcastle Falcons shirt...soon...please.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:02 am

Can any NH player be considered a true great without SH club rugby?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:16 am

rodders wrote:No I'm saying that because Leinster tight 5 wasn't good enough without Hines to win the Heino, something Joe Schmidt knew which is why he bought Thorn.

Thorn was the best player on the pitch against Clermont, they simply couldn't move him at the breakdown.

You are being incredibly arrogant and disrespectful to one or the greatest players ever to play the game and one who made a huge contribution to your team in a short time.

Leinster got lucky with Thorn, not the other way round. That's not to say Leinster weren't a fantastic side already but the tight 5 was a big Achilles heel without him.
Waffle. We won the Heino with Hines we would have done it again if Hines was there. Hines contributed so much more to Leinster than Thorne.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:17 am

fa0019 wrote:Can any NH player be considered a true great without SH club rugby?
Damn, I think that's called checkmate.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:23 am

GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:No I'm saying that because Leinster tight 5 wasn't good enough without Hines to win the Heino, something Joe Schmidt knew which is why he bought Thorn.

Waffle. We won the Heino with Hines we would have done it again if Hines was there. Hines contributed so much more to Leinster than Thorne.
You haven't read what I have said. In the absence of Hines - with no Thorn, I am saying that I don't think Leinster would have won the Heiniken cup. Thorn is one of the very few players who could have replaced Hines, he did a huge job for Leinster particularly against Clermont.

This isn't about Thorn v Hines, it is about the fact that you are not acknowledging that Leinster's tight 5 wasn't great post Hines and that Thorn bolstered it temporarily to a point were they could compete with the best in Europe, something Hines also did and something they haven't been able to do since because it takes a special player to have that sort of impact.

You say anyone could have done what Thorn did and I am saying they couldn't, he's a special player, not your bog standard second row.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

I already said we needed to bring in a second row after Hines left. Never thought it should have been Thorne though. To be perfectly honest Im much more happy with Mike McCarthy and I reckon we would have won with him too. Just because we needed a second row doesnt mean Thorne was the only one that would have won us the cup. Far from it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

fa0019 wrote:Can any NH player be considered a true great without SH club rugby?
are you suggesting that michalak and haskell are NH heroes Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:51 am

GunsGerms wrote:I already said we needed to bring in a second row after Hines left. Never thought it should have been Thorne though. To be perfectly honest Im much more happy with Mike McCarthy and I reckon we would have won with him too. Just because we needed a second row doesnt mean Thorne was the only one that would have won us the cup. Far from it.
Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree. There are good players, average players and great players. If you think McCarthy is on par with Thorn I am gobsmacked.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:52 am

whocares wrote:
after that forward pass.... he'll be able to drink for free for life in my book!!!!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

rodders wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Brad Thorne got lucky with Leinster. He joined a team at the crest of a wave who were already favorites to lift the trophy. He made a contribution but chances are Leinster would have won it anyway. He will only ever be considered a blow in a Leinster.
Sorry but I don't agree, he made a huge difference to Leinster and I don't believe they'd have beaten Clermont without him - he was incredible in that game. Leinster's scrum and breakdown hasn't been the same since he left, he may have been only there short term but he filled the huge hole left by Hines another player who was key for Leinster.  
GG is right. And Leinster had the beating of Clermont for a while, that year being one of those years. Clermont only just broke the duck. Though you're right in suggesting Thorn hasn't been replaced. It's not often you can replace a man like Brad Thorn.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:25 am

I'm not denying Leinster's record against Clermont, but in that match they were under ferocious pressure at the scrum and breakdown, particularly at the end.

It is just conjecture but I don't see how any observer to that game could deny the role Thorn played in withstanding that pressure and coming away with the win.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:32 am

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a position for McCaw at the Dragons in the near future, after the Opsreys poach Faletau, I Jones and Evans. He'd love the celtic league. He can get away with murder at the breakdown more often than usual due to the substandard refs that are available. Just ask the Irish Whistle.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:54 am

rodders wrote:I'm not denying Leinster's record against Clermont, but in that match they were under ferocious pressure at the scrum and breakdown, particularly at the end.

It is just conjecture but I don't see how any observer to that game could deny the role Thorn played in withstanding that pressure and coming away with the win.
In fairness we had that game sewn up with 10 minutes to go and let Clermont back into it by conceding a succession of stupid penalties,Rob Kearney was immense that game as was Leo Cullen who took all sorts of batterings in the last few phases but kept getting up and looking for more and both BoD and D'Arcy were rock solid in defense as usual.

You can say we wouldn't have won that game without Thorn but we wouldn't have won it without 4 mentioned above either.Any tight game will have a number of players who were crucial to the result.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:01 pm

just like how BOD would have won it anyway....hindsight seems to prevail in your rugby GG.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

Taylorman wrote:
just like how BOD would have won it anyway....hindsight seems to prevail in your rugby GG.
I dont understand your post. Please make sense if you want a response. Why are you so obsessed with BOD?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:10 pm

Cant help you if you dont understand. Some people ..well...are just like that I suppose. For me..rugby is about what actually happened...not what would or could have happened.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

Taylorman wrote:Cant help you if you dont understand. Some people ..well...are just like that I suppose. For me..rugby is about what actually happened...not what would or could have happened.
but you dont even know what happened because you didnt watch any of the matches so what are you on about? Whats your point and what does it have to do with BOD?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:06 pm

whocares wrote:
Seems like you are forgetting a certain Mr D. Cipriani. If you add his man of the match against Ireland in 2008 with his SH club rugby experience, you can surely see that he's the best NH player of his any generation?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
rodders wrote:I'm not denying Leinster's record against Clermont, but in that match they were under ferocious pressure at the scrum and breakdown, particularly at the end.

In fairness we had that game sewn up with 10 minutes to go and let Clermont back into it by conceding a succession of stupid penalties,Rob Kearney was immense that game as was Leo Cullen who took all sorts of batterings in the last few phases but kept getting up and looking for more and both BoD and D'Arcy were rock solid in defense as usual.

You can say we wouldn't have won that game without Thorn but we wouldn't have won it without 4 mentioned above either.Any tight game will have a number of players who were crucial to the result.
That's what I did say, and I also didn't not say that you wouldn't have won without the other guys, I just didn't say it. I didn't mean that Leinster won exclusively because of Thorn but they certainly didn't win exclusive of him either.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:02 pm

I heard Thorn got death threats on twitter when he replaced Hines and people thought he was taking too much of a leadership role.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I heard Thorn got death threats on twitter when he replaced Hines and people thought he was taking too much of a leadership role.
Did Kiwis urine and moan about it for months too?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

No but we had a laugh about you guys writing 20 pages about it. Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:12 pm

Well we learned how to do that from watching the Kiwi reaction to Wayne Barnes.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:16 pm

Good to see you learned something from us. Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:49 pm

As long us you can appreciate how hypocritical it is to poke fun at us when your own countrymen are guilty of similar acts then I feel we've achieved something here today OK

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:04 pm

Making fun of people who whinge wherever they're from is my take home.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:06 pm

whocares wrote:
I think he actually meant Andy Goode... T14, HC, AP, SR (all the major comps).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

Add RWC and a State of Origin and the NRL. Brad Thorn has won everything except the Currie Cup. He's still young enough so don't discount him.

Richie McCaw's still better mind.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm

yappysnap wrote:
whocares wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdcoYIWp6wU

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 5:46 pm

James Haskell by any chance!! Erm Whistle 

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:06 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Making fun of people who whinge wherever they're from is my take home.
I'll bet you were constantly having a go at your fellow Kiwis during that sad time in your history Rolling Eyes 

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm

Plenty of histrionics there just like there were in 2011. You can't reach everyone but you can play your part and try and spread peace and goodwill to as many as possible.

Don't ask what you can do for the whingers, ask what the whingers can do for you.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:30 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Plenty of histrionics there just like there were in 2011. You can't reach everyone but you can play your part and try and spread peace and goodwill to as many as possible.

Don't ask what you can do for the whingers, ask what the whingers can do for you.
That's a lot of waffle just to avoid my point.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:04 pm

AB losses hurt but I don't have any problem acknowledging when a team has beat NZ. I wouldn't term it a sad part of our history.

I can't be an apologist for every plonker but I can do my part to call people out wherever they're from when they use tired excuses like the ref, cheating, rustiness, etc.

Have a nice weekend and sorry if I said anything to offend. zen 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:32 pm

miaow wrote:
yappysnap wrote:
whocares wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdcoYIWp6wU
Legend.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:59 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:AB losses hurt but I don't have any problem acknowledging when a team has beat NZ. I wouldn't term it a sad part of our history.

I can't be an apologist for every plonker but I can do my part to call people out wherever they're from when they use tired excuses like the ref, cheating, rustiness, etc.

Have a nice weekend and sorry if I said anything to offend. zen 

No offense taken,I completely agree with you calling out people who use those type of excuses.I'm just sick of people having a go at Irish people for the sins of a tiny minority and especially as the people doing the calling out are conspicuous by their abscence when their own countrymen do the same thing.I'm fairly certain the Saint wasn't criticising the people giving Alain Rolland death threats anything like the same hassle he's giving the Irish now.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:34 pm

I can sense the frustration on various threads and we all have those moments where poles divide and trenches are dug.

It's easy to get wound up by a few but generally we're all better off being exposed to other people's opinions. I have lumbago and am high on painkillers so maybe I can't be riled in my present state. I could well do with a drink though.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:42 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Cant help you if you dont understand. Some people ..well...are just like that I suppose. For me..rugby is about what actually happened...not what would or could have happened.
but you dont even know what happened because you didnt watch any of the matches so what are you on about? Whats your point and what does it have to do with BOD?
Didnt need to watch them. What I do know is- Leinster asked him and paid him to play. Leinster won.

Just like Gatland asked BOD not to play. And they won.

Your views on both these occasions are about what would have happened if A) Thorn hadnt played and B) BOD had played- you seem to know those results better than the ones that actually happened. Rugby must be a good thing in your mind GG- a plethora of unplayed matches.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next