The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw

+11
Biltong
bluestonevedder
TrailApe
lostinwales
Bathman_in_London
LordDowlais
Geordie
sirtidychris
quinsforever
fa0019
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
15 posters

Go down

Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw Empty Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Thu 16 Oct 2014, 19:29

Well thats what was said until Newzealand hammered England this summer "google it if you don't believe me", but now its to Mosieur Steffon Armitage, the missing link!
The one vital part that the worlds largest and richest Union  need to become immortal world beaters.

To be honest i find the whole charade exhausting  ,keeping up with the next big hope in the eyes of Englands fans and media.
It's all so football esque , it exposes the complete lack of knowledge of Rugby the fans hold.

Hape
Vainikolo
Banahan
Marler
Tait
Sheridan
Sackey
Ojo
Fluety
Barrit
Vinopla Brothers
Armitage Brothers
Twelvetrees
The list goes on and on and on, to be fair i pity the team that has so much resources but can't drum up a grandslam team let alone a world cup winning team.

Any hows enough negative talk, lets have some fun, can you name any more "great hypes" we have been subjected to hearing about from Barnes and co.

Back to top Go down

Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw Empty Re: Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw

Post by fa0019 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 20:44

Gavin Henson
James hook
Rhys priestland

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw Empty Re: Tom Wood can be England's answer to Richie McCaw

Post by quinsforever Thu 16 Oct 2014, 20:54

Problem is that England have just too many choices for every position at the moment.

I agree armitage is world class. But even I am not sure he would win a starting place for England currently given the coach's desired style of team and strategy.

Whereas Wales are 1 injury away, in many positions, from needing to worry about Fiji in their RWC group

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 21:02

New Zealand have the same playing numbers and less financial resources than Australia. why are NZ more successful than AUS?

Is it because they as a nation are simply more talented? better suited genetically to rugby... Please. It's a little deeper than that.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Thu 16 Oct 2014, 21:05

fa0019 wrote:Gavin Henson
James hook
Rhys priestland
All grandslam winners so hardly next big hype.

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 21:12

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Gavin Henson
James hook
Rhys priestland
All grandslam winners so hardly next big hype.

I didn't know they gave out medals for the 4th best team of the year annually?

Next your going to tell me they have Amlin cup winners medals too.

Have they won anything or done anything you can actually shout about?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 16 Oct 2014, 22:43

Matthew Mullan
Tom Lindsay
Paul Doran-Jones
Botha
Kennedy
Magnus Lund
Tom Rees
Tom Guest

Joe Simpson
Shane Gegarty
Tom Varndell
Andy Farrell/Henry Paul
Sam Tomkins
Phil Christophers
Mark van-gisbergen

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 08:20

How long will you keeop going with these threads slating England?

Its getting a bit tiring now to be honest....

If England bothers you...dont focus so much on them....oh hang on then how would you get your WUMs in??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 08:56

I love the way all of you on here attack the Welsh as soon as something like this is posted, do you know the creator of this article is Welsh ? I thought he was English, he doesn't post on any of the Welsh themed threads, or is an article like this just an opportunity for the English to have a pop at Wales ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:02

LordDowlais wrote:I love the way all of you on here attack the Welsh as soon as something like this is posted, do you know the creator of this article is Welsh ? I thought he was English, he doesn't post on any of the Welsh themed threads, or is an article like this just an opportunity for the English to have a pop at Wales ?

I think the term... "if I was English, lord forbid" allows us to assume he is not.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:09

Is this thread just going to be a list of players who were decent at club level but not superstars internationally? If so that could be a very long list.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:09

LordDowlais wrote:I love the way all of you on here attack the Welsh as soon as something like this is posted, do you know the creator of this article is Welsh ? I thought he was English, he doesn't post on any of the Welsh themed threads, or is an article like this just an opportunity for the English to have a pop at Wales ?

He is a body builder from North Wales with a long history of writing this kind of rubbish (under a couple of aliases, like, what was it, viewfromthegym or something).

Yes.

Shocking isnt it.

Someone from Wales can type utter balls on a forum. Must of been corrupted by us nasty arrogant English.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:17

he doesn't post on any of the Welsh themed threads

He doesn't do positive posts, he just does anti-English.

Check out his posts and, if you hasve the time, check out 'Aviewfromthegym's historic posts.

Same bile.

FACT
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:27

lostinwales wrote:

He is a body builder from North Wales with a long history of writing this kind of rubbish (under a couple of aliases, like, what was it, viewfromthegym or something).

Yes.

Shocking isnt it.

Someone from Wales can type utter balls on a forum. Must of been corrupted by us nasty arrogant English.

Does he have a scouser accent?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:43

TrailApe wrote:
he doesn't post on any of the Welsh themed threads

He doesn't do positive posts, he just does anti-English.

Check out his posts and, if you hasve the time, check out 'Aviewfromthegym's historic posts.

Same bile.

FACT

Oh TrailApe, you're stealing his trademark now by stating FACT after every ill-informed statement. How dare you. You know statements aren't open for debate after putting 'FACT' after them. God damn it. 

I didn't want to do this, but my hand has been forced: 

DeludedOptimistorjustDave is a WUM. FACT. 

There it is mods, please remove him.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:47

Anyway, was actually said ? Did anybody say that Tom Wood could be the next Richie McCaw, if so then I find it very infuriating, why has any player get to be the next who ever ? Why cant Tom Wood, just be Tom Wood ? I am sure he could set his own trial blazing exploits in rugby without having to be compared to somebody else.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:49

thumbsup clap

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:50

LordDowlais wrote:Anyway, was actually said ? Did anybody say that Tom Wood could be the next Richie McCaw, if so then I find it very infuriating, why has any player get to be the next who ever ? Why cant Tom Wood, just be Tom Wood ? I am sure he could set his own trial blazing exploits in rugby without having to be compared to somebody else.

Different sort of players anyhow... Like Juan Smith, Tom Croft, Julian Bonnaire more than anything.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:01

I am sure Tom Wood will be quite the player in his own right, and he will not be the next anyone.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:03

Point of note Gents, England and Wales aren't playing each other until next year.

This tread is a tad premature for that, isn't it?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:10

Strange - I always thought Wood was compared to Richard Hill. Though Wood has a long way to reach Hill.

Wood is a 6, Mccaw is a 7.

Barritt has been hyped up? Really? I thought he was one of the players that everyone knows what he offers and doesn't offer.

Banahan is a player who I wished had shown more - he's got the size but unfortunately didn't have the attributes to back up the hype at the time - Shane Williams showed Banahan what a good little un can do.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:19

beshocked wrote:Strange - I always thought Wood was compared to Richard Hill. Though Wood has a long way to reach Hill.

Barritt has been hyped up? Really? I thought he was one of the players that everyone knows what he offers and doesn't offer.

Banahan is a player who I wished had shown more - he's got the size but unfortunately didn't have the attributes to back up the hype at the time - Shane Williams showed Banahan what a good little un can do.

You have a good little un playing at Gloucester, I was very impressed with him again last night, infact I enjoyed watching Gloucester last night, they look a good all round side, and I do not know if it was jsut me being Welsh, but I though Hibbard was everywhere last night, before he went off, it must be his girly blond hair, because at every breakdown and ruck you always saw him, and boy did he smash them when he wanted, Ben Morgan could learn a thing or two off him, for a big boy, he does not assert himself on the field.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:20

Maybe we should start a thread....

Why are Wales so confident of beating Fiji in the WC....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:24

Ben Morgan could learn a thing or two off him, for a big boy, he does not assert himself on the field..

Or he could learn of Ben....that even the bigger guys should show intelligence and run for the gaps not just look for contact... thumbsup

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:27

GeordieFalcon wrote:Maybe we should start a thread....

Why are Wales so confident of beating Fiji in the WC....

Well, we have home advantage for a start, plus we are ranked higher, and we have a better head to head over the last 10yrs. Thats the same criterea the English are basing beating us on, so here we are. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:28

55-0 - ouch.

Gloucester seem to be finding their feet after their first round thrashing by Saints. They've got good players certainly.

Could be tough going away to Gloucester.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:28

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Ben Morgan could learn a thing or two off him, for a big boy, he does not assert himself on the field..

Or he could learn of Ben....that even the bigger guys should show intelligence and run for the gaps not just look for contact... thumbsup

Did you watch the game ? He was not even looking for space, he was just running sideways all the time, even Barnsey was going on about it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:29

beshocked wrote:55-0 - ouch.

Gloucester seem to be finding their feet after their first round thrashing by Saints. They've got good players certainly.

Could be tough going away to Gloucester.

Yes they looked very good last night.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:29

OOh but in WC's....Fiji, Samoa...squeeky bum time...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:30

GeordieFalcon wrote:OOh but in WC's....Fiji, Samoa...squeeky bum time...

Squeeky bum time for all of us, in the last world cup we beat both Fiji and Samoa, so at least we have experience on our side.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:36

If we started th world cup tomorrow LD who do you reckon would go through and which players would impress?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:40

LordDowlais wrote:
beshocked wrote:Strange - I always thought Wood was compared to Richard Hill. Though Wood has a long way to reach Hill.

You have a good little un playing at Gloucester, I was very impressed with him again last night, infact I enjoyed watching Gloucester last night, they look a good all round side, and I do not know if it was jsut me being Welsh, but I though Hibbard was everywhere last night, before he went off, it must be his girly blond hair, because at every breakdown and ruck you always saw him, and boy did he smash them when he wanted, Ben Morgan could learn a thing or two off him, for a big boy, he does not assert himself on the field.

Who's the little good-un? 

Hibbard has been a revelation at Gloucester, and so has the addition of Afoa. Finally they've got a tight 5 that can actually compete and provide good service to their explosive backline. Gloucester really seem to be gelling and it's looking intimidating! 

May's been on fire.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:43

No 7&1/2 wrote:If we started th world cup tomorrow LD who do you reckon would go through and which players would impress?

If the worl cup was tomorrow I would like to think that Wales and England would go through, but you can never write off the Aussies, a year is a long time in rugby, and for all the chest thumping on here, there is not really a lot between the two sides, but being a proud Welshman I would say wales to top the group and England as runners up.Wink

Players who would impress me:-

Wales(if picked)

Biggar
Webb
AWJ
Liam Williams

England(if picked)

Sharples
Youngs
Launchbery
Brown

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:44

bluestonevedder wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Hibbard has been a revelation at Gloucester, and so has the addition of Afoa. Finally they've got a tight 5 that can actually compete and provide good service to their explosive backline. Gloucester really seem to be gelling and it's looking intimidating! 

May's been on fire.

Sharples. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:49

LordDowlais wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

May's been on fire.

Sharples. thumbsup

Ah! Did he play well? I didn't see the game. 

I hope he gets another run out with England (as well as May). Both have started the season monstrously!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:51

Not sure Sharples or either Youngs will start, seriously doubt Sharples will even be included in the squad. What about Eli Walker? Saw him a couple of years ago now and he looked seriously good.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Fri 17 Oct 2014, 20:34

Body builder? no. i haven't had a six pack since 2002. Powerlifter yes.
English no. Welsh Yes.
WUM no, bringer of truth yes.

I do enjoy the old call him a wind up and racially abuse the Welsh whilst we are at it approach, pretty much shows im right when you have to resort to personal insults.

BTW http://www.givemesport.com/475766-tom-wood-can-be-englands-answer-to-richie-mccaw

See talking FACTS not made it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 18 Oct 2014, 01:01

Biltong wrote:Point of note Gents, England and Wales aren't playing each other until next year.

Mate,
For the last thousand years, plus or minus, in spirit England and Wales play each other every day.  Both sides of the Dyke never miss an opportunity to get prepared just in case a match sprouts up out of nowhere!

Biltong this is The Dyke:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offa's_Dyke

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 18 Oct 2014, 01:14

doctor_grey wrote:
Biltong wrote:Point of note Gents, England and Wales aren't playing each other until next year.

Mate,
For the last thousand years, plus or minus, in spirit England and Wales play each other every day.  Both sides of the Dyke never miss an opportunity to get prepared just in case a match sprouts up out of nowhere!

looking at it you would have thought erosion would have done its job by now, eh? Wink

Yet it seems to have resisted mother nature all this time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 18 Oct 2014, 02:06

Biltong wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Mate,

looking at it you would have thought erosion would have done its job by now, eh? Wink

Yet it seems to have resisted mother nature all this time.
Ah, my friend, the spirit of the fight cannot be eroded by mere time!  The Welsh spirit for the fight will last until the end of time, or at least until they win a World Cup (oh wait, same thing).  

Let me explain the problem with the Welsh.  We English, as we sit on our proverbial thrones gazing knowledgeably out at the rest of the world, are able to sip our sherry with our pinkie finger straight up in the air.  An obvious sign of advanced evolution.  The Welsh are genetically unable to put their pinkie fingers out.  This has caused hundreds of years of resentment.  

It is so very sad to see little Welsh tots trying in vain to mimic the English and put their pinkies in the air as they drink.  As they get older this causes psycho-sociological imbalances.  The end result is their hideously deformed hands from years of trying to work the pinkie up have caused many balls to be knocked-on in Rugby World Cup matches against teams like Fiji and Samoa............

So ironic, isn't it.  After all, Mother England is all about love.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 18 Oct 2014, 04:47

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Body builder? no. i haven't had a six pack since 2002. Powerlifter yes.
English no. Welsh Yes.
WUM no, bringer of truth yes.

I do enjoy the old call him a wind up and racially abuse the Welsh whilst we are at it approach, pretty much shows im right when you have to resort to personal insults.

BTW http://www.givemesport.com/475766-tom-wood-can-be-englands-answer-to-richie-mccaw

See talking FACTS not made it up.

Hmm...FACTS from a very obscure website. And in that article I saw no 'hype', merely an assertion that Wood, rather than Robshaw, was likely to be the player to counter McCaw at the breakdown.

No fuss, no hype; just an obscure journo's opinion.

Well let's put Wales in England's place touring NZ last summer. In the same situation, with said journo postulating that Lydiate was the man to neuter McCaw, would you be writing an article deriding Lydiate, and any number of overhyped Welsh players.

I think not.

Still, carry on - it's amusing watching the angst burn you up inside whenever someone (no matter how obscure) praises an English rugby player or team.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down