The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf in Devon

+3
puligny
kwinigolfer
Plunky
7 posters

Go down

Golf in Devon Empty Golf in Devon

Post by Plunky Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:02 pm

We're taking our clubs for a two-week vacation across the pond on Thursday.  We'll be in devon, and already have royal north devon on our must-play list. Any other recommendations ?  I've read that east devon in budleigh salterton is a hidden gem.  Has anyone played it ?  We're staying in a cottage on dartmoor but happy to travel for good golf !  Weather's getting very hot and sticky here now, so can't wait to get away.  Yahoo  
Thanks !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Golf in Devon Empty Re: Golf in Devon

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

Plunky,
I'll be on an AA flight JFK/LHR Wednesday night. I'll buy you and Mr.Plunks a drink if you're on the same plane!
(Not golfing when I'm there though.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm

Saunton -both courses!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Plunky,
I'll be on an AA flight JFK/LHR Wednesday night. I'll buy you and Mr.Plunks a drink if you're on the same plane!
(Not golfing when I'm there though.)

Missed us by a day !  We're on BA Thursday night.  We'll raise a glass or two to your good health anyway !Ale

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:59 pm

Ale Boo!

(Not sure why my emoticons precede my text these days.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:09 pm

puligny wrote:Saunton -both courses!!

Just checked out the website and it looks terrific, although I think I might need to pack a spare sleeve of golf balls.    We got badly beaten up by a links course in scotland a few years ago and Mr. P has been looking forward to the next links challenge.    Thanks, I've put it on the list !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Yep, you have to play Saunton. Championship links golf and will never play better given the weather we are currently having down here in the West Country. Also give Dartmouth a go. Great championship parkland course with a nice gentle 9 holer attached also. Plus Dartmouth is a great little town, well worth a visit.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

China Fleet, just across river from Plymouth in Saltash is also a good test of golf.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

And there is of course Nicklaus' first Uk course at St Mellion which is not far from Dartmoor and the slightly less challenging other 18 holes of the Kernow course there to enjoy. Hope these few choices gives you food for thought on your trip?

Last edited by matelot golfer on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong location)

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 13 Jul 2013, 6:42 pm

matelot golfer wrote:And there is of course Nicklaus' first Uk course at St Mellion which is not far from Dartmoor and the slightly less challenging other 18 holes of the Kernow course there to enjoy. Hope these few choices gives you food for thought on your trip?

Thanks Matelot !
We did play the Kernow course several years ago and enjoyed it.  Dartmouth sounds good too -- many many years ago we used to take the boat ride between Dartmouth and totnes, both nice towns to visit.  We'll be visiting family in Plymouth, so china fleet also gets on the list.   Don't know how much golfing time we'll get on this trip but will try and get in as much as possible.   Fingers crossed the weather stays good through the end of July !   Thanks.  Ale

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:07 am

Plucky - if you think Saunton will beat you up, welcome to RND! Make sure you have a compass!
It's great but testing. It was described to me as playing on the moon!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:08 am

BTW enjoy your trip and especially the golf.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:30 am

Have a luvverly time, Plunky. Bon voyage.

I still have a thought that I might send my lad your way in late August for some tips on how to get to and on Bethpage (not Black until he earns it!).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sun 14 Jul 2013, 1:23 am

Thanks guys ! I think we'll probably start our golf on a less demanding course and see how we're hitting the ball before we head to the links courses on the north coast. But I am looking forward to the challenge !

Kwini, you can send your lad to us via the LIRR and we'd be happy to take him to Bethpage any time !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:44 am

Plunky, Saunton is definitely the pick of the Devon bunch although RND is great fun too. I play Saunton several times a year and as luck would have it I'll be there from the 26th to 28th (they have a 36 hole open on the 28th so I'll travel down on the Friday & play one of the courses on the Friday, the other one on the Saturday ready for the comp Sunday). More than happy for yous to join me on the Friday, Sat or both. PM me if you fancy it. I also think the 28th is the start of their Open week so it might be busy toward the end of your stay.

Also, on the way down, it would be a shame to miss Burnham and Berrow (it's Somerset rather than Devon) and just about 5 minutes off the M5 Junc 22

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 14 Jul 2013, 7:46 am

Try Yelverton, it is an inland course which is near Plymouth. I think it must be on dartmoor or us on the edge of it. There are certainly some wild ponies walking around near by.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:45 am

Hot and sticky here too!May need the brolly for some shade

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sun 14 Jul 2013, 1:14 pm

Hmm, let's see -- high 70's with a slight breeze in plymouth today versus low 90's, humid, chance of thunderstorm over here. Can't wait !

JAS, thanks for the offer -- we might take you up on that, but have to check with family first. We have family in plymouth who think that they are the main focus of our visit, with golf coming a distant second. They may have something planned !

We thought about yelverton the last time we had our clubs in the area (many years ago). You're right, the course is on the moors and in an area that's popular with walkers/tourists. The thought of hitting either a pony, a sheep, or a small child eating an ice cream was just too intimidating. We moved on and ended up on a 9 hole course near tavistock -- much safer for all concerned. But we do hit the ball a lot straighter than we used to (most of the time), so maybe we should go back and try it !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:25 pm

Thanks for the tips !  Just got back from a great holiday.  Played East Devon in Budleigh Salterton -- nice clifftop course with terrific views on a clear day (but a mist came in off the sea when we were there and we had a hard time finding the tees on the back nine).  Royal North Devon was amazing -- had to hit over a small burn and 3 sheep on the first hole.  They have a local rule regarding liquid manure (lift clean and place) which we fortunately didn't need!.  Highlight of the trip was Saunton East with JAS Very Happy  in perfect weather.  We played the West course later in breezier conditions, and I think I prefer west over east.  Woodbury Park near exeter was fun -- again some spectacular views on a perfect summer day.  Finally, managed to fit in 9 holes on the way home at Frome.  It's not a long course but a really well maintained parkland course and they do a great bacon buttie.  On a par 5 the group in front of us called us up as they were looking for a lost ball.  Faced with an unexpected audience I hit a horrid pitch shot into the bunker.  But followed up with an equally unexpected up and down which earned me a round of applause.  I don't remember any of the other holes !  Really enjoyed the links golf and hope to play a lot more on future trips.   thumbsup

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm

Great stuff Plunky, when do you think you'll be back for another go? Next visit you have to venture west into Matelot country and experience Cornish golf, St Enodoc in particular. Glad you had a good trip.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down