The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Scottish Open

+13
pedro
NedB-H
McLaren
John Cregan
mystiroakey
incontinentia
themightyone
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
barragan
puligny
JAS
princedracula
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European Tour - Scottish Open Empty European Tour - Scottish Open

Post by princedracula Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:28 pm

Always great to see the European Tour returning to Scotland... I was having a quick look at the intro I wrote last year for the Scottish Open, and I was trying to compare then the field strengths of this tournament with a few other events that take place around the same time (Irish and French Open and the BMW Intl. in Germany) and the conclusion was pretty clear, i.e. the Scottish Open was by far the strongest and the most consistent and stable in terms of field strength...

Spoiler:
But is that beginning to change, I wonder...?

Spoiler:
A couple of weeks ago at the Irish Open, out of nowhere really, McDowell made that blunt and controversial remark, saying that 'the Scottish Open has lost its prestige' in his opinion, linking that basically with the move from Loch Lomond to Castle Stuart, a course which he went on to describe as... 'a bit one dimensional'. I haven't been there so I couldn't possibly comment on it, but would be interesting to hear the views of some of you who are from the area or have played the course before. Not sure what made GMac to make such an 'unprovoked' comment (some have even seen this as part of some sort of background little battle for promotion and positioning between the Irish and Scottish Open), but it didn't take long to get a reaction and a 'counterattack' from the top ranked Scot, Paul Lawrie, who said (quite rightly) that McDowell's comments were 'poor' and that 'he should know better', and then went on and had his own stab at the Irish event by adding that at least 'the Scottish Open has more money, a title sponsor and it's played on a links course'... 3xOUCH!!! Certainly can't argue too much with Paul's comments, which are all facts (although I recall seeing comments in the past questioning if this course really is a 'proper' links test), while GMac's comments reflect basically his personal opinion. Personally, I doubt there is anything more 'sinister' behind McDowell's outburst, other than the fact that he simply liked and fancied his chances much more at Loch Lomond, where he won the event in 2008...

Having said that though, that last plot is also now a matter of fact and may suggest that Graeme may have a point after all, as none of the top European golfers inside the top 25 in the world are present this year, and I'm sure that all this will make the Scottish organisers to have a good look at how to get things back on track next year...That leaves the 'internationals' Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els as the top ranked players in the field. Last year the event was won rather surprisingly by Jeev Milkha Singh, who beat Franny Molinari in a playoff, and these two will be very keen to get their game back on track this week, as their form has gone a bit flat this season... Great to see a strong local contingent, with Martin Laird flying in to join an increasing group of Scottish players who have shown much improved and more consistent form on the European tour over the last year or so. Somewhat surprised though to see that Russell Knox is not coming over, especially considering that he was born in Inverness... I think I'm going for a Scottish winner this year, but there are plenty of other top guys out there that have a great chance of shining come Sunday afternoon...

P.S. I've been finding it hard lately to get the time to write the ET and OWGR weekly posts and I can't see that situation improving in the near future. Although I will do my best to continue to post a brief OWGR weekly update, it will be great if someone else could step in from here on to write the weekly European Tour intros... Many thanks!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Scottish Open Empty Re: European Tour - Scottish Open

Post by JAS Thu 11 Jul 2013, 7:55 pm

PD I've played it, loved it and it's up there in the top 5 courses I've played in the UK in terms of breathtaking scenery. In terms of a tough test though it's nowhere really. It's well laid out, plenty of variety and many interesting holes, very well maintained. There are probably 2 schools of thought on playing here the week before the Open.

1. It is links so players can hone their links game in a competitive environment. It's easier so players can get the confidence from racking up good scores.
2. It's so much easier than the test that will be presented the following week so it's value in terms of realistic preparation for the Open is questionable.

Els and big Phil see option 1, many of the others see option 2. Even though I haven't played LL I'd still say its better than LL as preparation.
I think it very unfortunate what happened 2 years ago as rare though it was for that part of Scotland, the deluge & resultant 54 hole only comp probably put a few off.

I heard Bradley (who if I recall came over early last year for some links golf) on TV this morning explaining why he's playing the PGATour event this week rather than the SO...."when you play in Scotland you roll the dice with the weather" Well Keegan....the dice have aligned themselves very nicely this week. Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 11 Jul 2013, 8:14 pm

The PGA Tour is so lucky. Every tournament played in unbroken sunshine!Bradley really should get out more!
As a test Castle Stuart doesn't look the business, but aren't they going to Royal Aberdeen next year?
A sudden drop off in the number of tournaments available might sharpen pro golfers focus! National Opens should be supported IMHO

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 11 Jul 2013, 8:29 pm

macdowell Rolling Eyes 
have an incling this might be howell's time to step back up Fingers Crossed seems to be going along fairly steady so far - level par after 8 (at -3) Very Happy 

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 11 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

Thanks JAS, agree with the fact that people seem to look at it from those two points of view.
Happy anyway to see now that McDowell has called and apologised to the Scottish Open sponsors and organisers....

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/golf/scottish-open-mcdowell-apologises-for-comments-1-2997110

Hopefully the move to Royal Aberdeen, as puligni said, will prove less controversial...

John Parry at the top, seems to be regaining some of the 'old' good form in recent weeks...Same as Simon Khan...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm

Regarding Keegan Bradley, it is ingrained in to American culture, via all manner of media organizations at a very early age, that European weather is crap, everything in the States is fantastic and trouble-free.
It's as if these golfers and pundits, not to mention TV News, never took geography at school.
Hang on. Geography? That's not on most school curriculums(is that a word?). Ignorance continues to be bliss, for American golf at least.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:54 am

great start for chris wood, -4 after 3, -5 after 7.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:55 am

Forget the rain, it's the temperature that makes many an American golfer cringe. Spoiled brats, if you ask me -- but I enjoy "true conditions". Ignorance may be bliss, but it's still ignorant. That said, I would rather play in steady balmy rain than sub 60F cloudy and sputtering precipitation. But that's just me.

Want to know why the European tour is in a constant state of sputter? It's not just the fact the they can't get sponsors off their wallets, it's prime time to play professional golf in Europe, a week before the Open Championship and, as PD points out, NONE of the top Europeans in the top 25 are present.

So, for the same price, I think i could play 5 rounds at Golspie for 1 round at Castle Stuart. Add up all my lost balls at Golspie and maybe that's 3 rounds. Smile

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Jul 2013, 2:30 am

Sr,
Geography is by and large an American core incompetency! Sure the median conditions a lot milder in Inverness, for instance, than in Woodstock where Keegs grew up (word used loosely).

As for the Europeans, screw the lot of them - something is clearly afoot, whether it's agents, appearance fees, whatever it is patience is exhausted! Luke Donald the strangest no-show, given that he won at Castle Stuart two yrs ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Jul 2013, 2:49 am

Kwin - Ahh ... but "summer" golf certainly not played in the median. Head in the oven and feet in the freezer give one a false feeling of comfort!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:45 am

Really incomprehensible that most Europeans are not playing (with the exception of a couple of guys that have been playing for 3 or 4 weeks in a row, such as Luiten). Hope Scott S and Joost L make it (no problem if our American buddies Zach and Phil keep doing what they are doing now), does anyone know if Scott S will be on site as of Tuesday (I hear that is a requirement to remain on the reserve list)? I know Luiten has confirmed he will.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:09 am

mighty,
Stallings might feel he's in a tough spot as he's also defending champion at next week's Tour event, in Mississippi, and probably feels he should support that.
Imagine he'll be ready to go if a Muirfield-bound player wins in Scotland or Deere Run.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:30 am

Shane Lowry a great shout for the Open next week. And it's not Irish bias, anyone who knows his game knows he is a superb links player. Combine this with a nice run of form recently and he should be up there on Sunday.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm

I backed shane this week. Doing very well as well.

Cant wait for the open.  I am going Brit or irish .

the main threats will be Pmick and fowler. But its all about LW or Loooke(and that is where my money is going!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm

I doubt it whether Shane has matured enough to win a Major yet (and if he will ever do so), but who knows? For me: Rose, Gmac and Jason Day.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:57 pm

LW or Loooke? No way...

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm

Stenson would be great for an outsider punt, he seems to be doing well all year and is definitely in good shape considering his performance at the Scottish Open so far (and very confident with the putter)

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm

themightyone wrote:LW or Loooke? No way...

thats what everyone said after i stated scot would win the masters and rose would win the us open

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

See you on 606v2 on Monday, July 22nd. And maybe even on Saturday, July 20th (although I do believe LW and Loooke will make the cut).

Whistle 

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

laughing laughing laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm

Cut -4 or -5 ??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

crazy easy golf course

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:07 am

I hope McLaren's putting his money where his mouth is and has invested heavily on the Doak Scale.
Also see Fran Molinari has been on quite a roll since I wondered where his form had gone last Friday - reverse mockers work sometimes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:16 am

Mac betting!!!!!

Come on.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:40 am

I see Bjorn has RETD?! Anybody knows why?
Seems he retired after a birdie at the 9th, which is not really a good sign...

Himself and Ernie wrecking my fantasy team...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:41 am

Whats the doak scale got to do with the scottish open?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:44 am

princedracula wrote:I see Bjorn has RETD?! Anybody knows why?
Seems he retired after a birdie at the 9th, which is not really a good sign...

Himself and Ernie wrecking my fantasy team...
There goes one half of my Scandinavian tip for Muirfield... Bjorn and Ilonen my two outsider picks.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:57 am

Horrible round from Shane today Sad

The fish is back Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:21 am

Shane never plays well when having an afternoon tee time. Too stuffed after lunch.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:28 am

Well you can't blame Shane for tucking in early, there wasn't likely to be much left in the kitchen later after Chris Doak had been at the trough.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 7:40 am

I see Paul Lawrie and Gary Orr have managed to tiptoe into the weekend.

Course is just fantastic ... perfect for a bit of bump 'n run practice and my goodness did some of them need it!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sat 13 Jul 2013, 7:58 pm

Any news on TB's neck injury?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 10:35 pm

Hole-In-One for Matteo?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 13 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm

paul casey really fighting, great to see. I have a good feeling

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:27 pm

mystiroakey wrote:crazy easy golf course
As opposed to the main event in the states this week, where the leaders after R2 are -12,-12,-12, and the cut was -4... Considering C.S. has been 'defenceless' this week, perhaps it's not as bad a challenge as everyone makes out!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:44 pm

Did gareth maybin just make an albatross on the 12th?

edit - apparently not, ET website made a bit of a mistake, corrected now, just a par.

Last edited by themightyone on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm

I saw that too, mighty, but I think it was just irrational exuberance by the score-meisters.
A good round going nevertheless, a nice run of form for July!

Strokes lost by Matteo however; shame, always like to see him contending.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm

barragan wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:crazy easy golf course
As opposed to the main event in the states this week, where the leaders after R2 are -12,-12,-12, and the cut was -4... Considering C.S. has been 'defenceless' this week, perhaps it's not as bad a challenge as everyone makes out!

Its more about having fair set ups and consistant weather(luck of the draw) over an easy or hard track. Not complaining that its easy- as long as its the same for everyone it malkes zip all difference- however its still an 'easy' set up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:23 am

pd,
Hadn't noticed your final paragraph until just re-reading your intro.

Hope someone posts an Open thread early in the week.
My notes will be focussed solely on the PGA Tour events, plus am travelling most of the next fortnight . . . . .

Must say that your E.T. intros are always interesting and thought-provoking.

One further thought about the quality of E.T. fields just now, especially as they relate to US-based players:
There's a hectic schedule in store for the Top 50 guys with the following calendar:
Open Championship
Canadian Open
Bridgestone
PGA Championship
Greensboro
Barclays
DeutscheBank
Week off
BMW
East Lake Tour Champo

That may not seem too bad until one takes in to account the fact that RBC's team of AppearanceFee Ambassadors is growing by the month and Els, for instance, will likely be playing seven weeks out of eight (including Castle Stuart and "Canada"), a heavy schedule for top players.
Presumably this is what Luke Donald is trying to finesse and, rather tactlessly, McDowell too. Other Ambassadors include Snedeker, Mahan, Furyk and Kuchar.

Last laugh in the Lawrie/McDowell spat seems to be the extension thru 2017 of Aberdeen Asset Management's commitment to the Scottish Open thru 2017.
Over to you, Mr.Irish Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Jul 2013, 3:35 am

Mickelson?

Top European golfers turning their back on this event making room for that aged Yank?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:10 am

Sr's contempt for Phil shining through there.

Fact is, Europe's top golfers, by and large, are not as good as Phil.

Dread to think how Keegan Bradley would have fared in Castle Stuart's "fickle" conditions given he can't do better than 60th after Round 3 in benign weather beside the Rock River . . . . . . . .

It's rounds like today's that make me think that Ross Fisher is not as good as I like to think he is. A wasted season for him so far, but good to see Stenson continues his fine season.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:26 am

Well done Pmick. great win. Big fav at the start and didnt dissapoint!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:31 am

Is that a premature extrapolation mysti?
Tied for second with 18 holes to play last time I looked!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:34 am

Errrrrrrmmm

I think I have heat stroke. Forget what I said..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:10 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Errrrrrrmmm

I think I have heat stroke. Forget what I said..

Might have been premature but I'd wait until the same time today before I'd call it inaccurate. Either way I think a top 3 finish will set him up well for next week.

When you look at Muirfield winners it's like a who's who of multiple Major winners...Nicklaus, Watson, Player, Trevino, Faldo, Els... sheesh how many majors have they between them?? Will the sequence be broken this time round by a Major virgin or will the winner come from Woods, Mickelson or Els, perhaps a 2nd Major for Rose, McDowell (if he makes the cut!!) or Scott.

Actually when Faldo won there it was his maiden major. The fact is though, at Muirfield the cream does come to the top over 4 days, is that due to the terrain i.e. less lucky/unlucky fairway humps and bumps than other rota courses?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:45 pm

Is the weather going to stay the same next week?

If there is no rain etc and its baking I think the cream will rise..

Looooke Donald or LW off course Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Jul 2013, 3:02 am

JB Hansen has turned in to Morgan Hoffmann . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Jul 2013, 4:23 am

Henrik must be very confident, he's using the driver.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Jul 2013, 5:26 am

Drama...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 15 Jul 2013, 5:35 am

Ach Phil!?!

Re the weather. I was there on Friday and I felt almost as hot as I did at The Players last year! Stunning weather at a stunning course. I hope the next time I'm there it's with my clubs!

and yes Phil's flop shot at the 3rd on Friday was even better in person!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next