The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: KLM Open

+4
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
barragan
themightyone
8 posters

Go down

European Tour: KLM Open Empty European Tour: KLM Open

Post by themightyone Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

Hello lads,

My first topic ever on this website as I was waiting for the KLM Open topic to be created and got tired of waiting.
A tournament where a lot of this year's disappointments may be able to regain some composure (Kaymer, Casey, Dyson, Manassero, Luiten).
Will Simon Dyson lift the Dutch Open trophy for a record breaking 4th time this Sunday? Interesting to see how our Ryder Cup hopefuls Kaymer and Colsaerts will be performing.
Although down from 40 OWGR pts to 30 pts, the KLM Open promises to be a pretty interesting tournament.

barragan wrote:THE LONG AWAITED Run PD ET KLM OPEN REVIEW thumbsup
princedracula wrote:
As we've been discussing last week, the KLM Open is another one of the long lasting and stable events on the European Tour (41st edition this year), even though it tends sometimes to go a bit under the radar compared to other tournaments. I know Netherlands is not really one of the more exciting places around (and I’m talking in terms of natural beauty, of course, as they tend to make up for that in many other ways), but then what event wouldn’t suffer of a slight ‘image problem’ coming right after and in in the shadows of Crans-sur-Sierre…? Add to that the fact that it also has to live through the excitement and hype ‘dip’ that happens naturally every two years between the Ryder Cup team announcement the weeks before and the actual Ryder Cup event in the weeks after… But having said that, and despite the relative drop in strength seen this year from the peak of last year, there seem to be a bit of a rise in profile and field strength of the event over the past few years.

Spoiler:
Furthermore, this year it seems that the presence of Martin Kaymer in the field following all the question marks related to his form and the way he made the RC team ‘in extremis’, plus the public statements of confidence and reassurance that followed from him and from Captain Olly, both pointing directly to the fact that he will play this week in Netherlands and next in Italy to stress-test his (allegedly) improving form and game before the Ryder Cup, has undoubtedly raised the profile and the interest in the event itself (apart from placing MK himself seriously under the spotlight and probably under an awful lot of added pressure as well)… Luckily for him (in a way), Kaymer not only that won the KLM Open a couple of years ago (when he was in peak form), but he did it on the same course where the event is played this week, Hilversumsche GC, with the other side of that particular coin being that he followed the win with a missed cut last year (when he was out of form) on the same course. Is that very brief history sufficient to suggest that the KLM Open at Hilversumsche GC is a good barometer for Martin Kaymer’s form? Probably not, but everyone will be watching him very closely the next few days, that’s for sure… Simon Dyson had a similar mixed bag here, mirroring in a way Kymer’s performances: he won it last year but missed the cut two years ago (his previous two wins in Netherlands came on the Kennemere course, which is quite different from this one).

And talking of previous winners, ‘horses for courses’ and all that, it’s probably worth remembering that two other guys who won this tournament on this course are David Lynn (2004) and Gonzo (2005), who are both in the field this week and have been probably a bit more consistent than Kaymer and Dyson on this course (Lynn finished also 2nd last year and Gonzo 4th a couple of years ago). And of course, we have also Nicolas Colsaerts playing this week (and next) and although a lot of the pressure that has been on him is now gone, it will be just as important for him to show some continued solid form and confidence in these weeks before the Ryder Cup. Another motivating factor for him on top of that should be the fact that this is probably the closest tournament on the ET calendar that he could call his home event…

themightyone

Back to top Go down

European Tour: KLM Open Empty Re: European Tour: KLM Open

Post by barragan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Stickied this thread - Pd - if you write your usual blurb, feel free to pm me and i'll add it to the OP in some nice quote bubbles.

TMO - didn't realise dyson has already got 3 of these in the bag. It would be good to see him return to some form. Very interested to see how Kaymer fairs - been expecting a return to form for some time now.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

Dyson seems worth a punt @ 25/1 considering his tournament record. Not so sure about Messrs Donaldson and Lynn @ 20/1 each. I do hope the course (and the airport runway) will be very firm, as Mr Lowry is on the entry list as well. Perhaps they should put him in the last flight of the day to avoid an unlevel playing field (pun intended).

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:24 pm

Saw on Euro Tour Weekly that Dyson playing with a slight injury. (Tendon trouble that won't get any worse). He's having some time off afterwards to recuperate.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

None of the PGA Tour regulars who have taken busman's holidays on the European Tour when unable to make the PGA Tour field du jour have prospered:
At the risk of missing someone, their positions on the R2D moneylist are as follows:
Karlsson: 69th) Not sure they
Stenson: 70th) should count!
Daly: 79th
Curtis: 102nd
Cejka: 159th
Casey: 161st
Beem: 167th
Johnson: 173rd
Gronberg: 195th
Micheel: 204th
Weir: 263rd
Hamilton: 280th

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:45 pm

barragan wrote:Stickied this thread - Pd - if you write your usual blurb, feel free to pm me and i'll add it to the OP in some nice quote bubbles.

barragan, just sent you a pm with the 'blurb'... feel free to use it if/how you wish.

Sorry for the delay, but i've been very busy in work these days.
Unfortunately have to give priority to the paying job... Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:08 am

princedracula wrote:
barragan wrote:Stickied this thread - Pd - if you write your usual blurb, feel free to pm me and i'll add it to the OP in some nice quote bubbles.

barragan, just sent you a pm with the 'blurb'... feel free to use it if/how you wish.

pd, I hope I haven't gotten in your way, good to see that you are back!
Meanwhile, David Lynn off to a flying start with two birdies on his first two holes (9 and 10). I am again amazed by the fact that the KLM Open on the Hilversumsche GC starts on the first and ninth (instead of the tenth) hole, does anyone know why that is?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:39 am

I have just noticed that Mr Lynn has only got one ET tournament under his belt, being the Dutch Open (2004, same course as this week's tourney). With a 2nd place behind Dyson last year and Lynn's recent top form, he is definitely looking good this week.

*edited after missing a 'd' in noticeD.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

princedracula wrote:

thanks pd - interesting review as always. we all appreciated the effort kwini and yourself go to, to produce your weekly notes - and they're always worth waiting for thumbsup
chance this week for hanson to build a bit more form coming into the rc
kaymer not out until 1.20 - paired with olazabal and colsearts - no pressure then

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:31 am

Cheers TMO, barragan. thumbsup

Agreed, about Lynn and Hanson. Hanson probably needs more than any of the Europeans a boost of confidence before the RC show begins. He hasn't got any notable success for a while now... Unfortunately, Lynn managed to wipe out quickly the gloss of all those three early birds with three bogeys...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

Hanson off the mark quite well, -2 after 9. Same holds for our favourite Bubbly RedWine Miguel Angel.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

Would love Colsaerts , Kaymer or Peter Hanson to win this week.

Meanwhile, a promising start from Paul Casey, three under playing the last.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:26 pm

Great start from Kaymer.... Excellent. Very Happy

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

Scoring looks more difficult this afternoon . . . . . . . only seven golfers under par as the first groups make the turn.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

Kaymer @ -5 after 14 holes and joint leader. Didn't expect him to be in such a good shape after his miserable last couple of months. RC pressure brings out the best in him, obviously!

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:09 pm

mighty,
Let's hope "RC pressure brings out the best of him" at Medinah . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:36 am

A bit of an unusual design this course in NL... a 125-yard and a 223-yard par 3s, a 484-yard par 4 and a 486-yard par 5, no holes over 500 yards, etc...

Some encouraging signs from Kaymer yesterday, although he seems to struggle trying to repeat that form today. By his own admission yesterday, his form is a bit up and down at the moment, so still plenty of work to do there, no doubt, before the RC...

Positive signs from Hanson while Colsaerts is climbing quickly up the leaderboard after a slow start yesterday...
Great to see finally a good round from Casey after such a long time, question is can he add a few more of the same?

Also some good moves today from Gonzo, Dyson and McGrane among others, while DC is trying to show us that there is still life left in the 'old' dog...

Finally, it's that time of the year when the Challenge Tour is moving East, which means it's time for us to get reaquainted with the great and upcoming Russian golf talent... So, hats off to Alexander Lazarev who came so close of breaking 90 today after yesterday managed to break 100 at the Russian Open! Lazarev was spotted yesterday morning having some trouble parking his vehicle as he arrived at the golf course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCAsd1V5Oc

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2012, 12:02 pm

I like the tractor boy! We had a guy here last month who drove his tractor over a bunch of squad cars at the police station - the police had to be alerted via (the equivalent of) 999 because their air conditioning was whirring too loud to hear the commotion/destruction!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/roger-pion-crushed-vermont-cop-cars_n_1735673.html

Don't see any NHL players in the field but Yevgeny Kafelnikov is there with bells on, as usual. Otherwise a decent field!

Varying emotions no doubt from Gonzo and Colsaerts today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

What price Ramsay winning again? Another promising week for Scotland's golfers regardless.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

Solid week for Casey.............Even par for the week and t.48th overall.........No world Ranking points though.

Ranking Points for only the Top 35 & ties which i have always thought was harsh. Players can play well here this week, shoot 2 70's & 2 69's and get zero ranking points, the same as someone who shoots + 12 and misses the cut...........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

Has to be said, Kaymer's show this week at KLMO is far from reassuring for the RC... Probably there are more positives to take away from this week, for different reasons, by DC and Casey than by MartinK... If nothing clicks next week in Italy for him, Olly will have to make some tough decisions on how much he can afford to rely on him in Medinah... Great surge up the LB today from Donaldson, a top finish here will do him a lot of good in consolidating his very recent top 50 player status. And continued solid and reassuring performances from Colsaerts and Hanson, the latter having to cope with some difficult personal circumstances at the same time...
On a different level, hope Gonzo wins this as I backed him in my fantasy team...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

Did Richard Finch REALLY card an eagle AND a closing albatross on Sunday's back nine?

That's being a bit greedy n'est ce pas?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 09 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Did Richard Finch REALLY card an eagle AND a closing albatross on Sunday's back nine?
It would appear so, missed it anyway...
No surprise to see that they had ~40 eagles this week at the two par 5s alone considering how short they are. Don't tell that to Jamie Donaldson though, who managed to blow away that nice score he had with a 7 at the last par 5...

Gonzo's losing the battle, but Pablo's in great shape to get it for Spain. Matteo clearly struggling to get his form back, maybe a better chance for him to do that next week in Italy...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 09 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

McIlroy (x2), Lawrie, Garcia, Hanson.
Westwood must be next, don't you think?

Seems they need to stretch those par 5's, but love the look of the Hilversum course.

And: What sort of bloke is Graeme Storm? Don't see him much on TV, but he's definitely got a touch of the Scott Hoch's in his general bearing and demeanour. And that's not meant in a good way.

Finally! What's Scott Jamieson got to do to break through? Seems very streaky but when he's on he looks very, very good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 09 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

No Spanish fiesta in the end but a superb win from Hanson, considering that his son was taken to hospital back in Sweden a couple of days ago... Plus all the RC pressure to prform, great timing as well in that regard... A few days ago I thought that apart from Kaymer, himself and Lee were the only two guys in the European team who didn't really fire on all cyllinders lately. Great to see both these worries being erased so promptly...

Currently Hanson is propelled back inside the top 25 in the world, but we'll see if he stays there after BMW is finished. Pitty for Donaldson's hiccup at the last hole. With Piercy, Garrigus, etc. doing well in Indiana, his top 50 position doesn't look as secure now...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 09 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Terrible last few holes for Simon Thornton - the stuff that Q-School is made of. Have a feeling that's not the first good finish he's squandered this year.

PS: Assuming he takes up his PGA Tour card next year, perhaps Peter Hanson won't be back to try and double up his Dutch win?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 09 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

Yep, Simon really blew it there at the end! After that brilliant 64 on Friday...

According to Finch's tale, his other eagle before the albatross, came close to being an albatross as well. That would've been something...

Very funny story at the end of this article about his previous albatross experience in his amateur years... Laugh

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2012/tournamentid=2012066/news/newsid=172303.html#flying+finish+finch

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 09 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

!! Smile

Nothing much to do with the E.T. directly, but the infusion of South African and GB&I players into the FedEx mix seems to be reducing the number of fluke entrants in to the Tour Championship (thence 3 Majors and a WGC).

Only Garrigus and Huh of those might not expect to be exempt anyway currently advancing to Atlanta (tho' that may change this afternoon).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Yeah feel for Thornton. That is not the first time that happened and it's the type of stuff that forces people to pack it in................keep going Simon.....................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

Kwini - Stormy is a friend of a friend & apparantly he is a very down to earth & good guy. You often find that those players with a miserable disposition on the course are the total opposite off it.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

Faldo,
Thanks! thumbsup
He looked a little yesterday as if the whole world was destined to conspire against him.
Should be close to securing his card for next year so hopefully he can relax a bit now!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down