The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - BMW International Open

+2
themightyone
princedracula
6 posters

Go down

European Tour - BMW International Open Empty European Tour - BMW International Open

Post by princedracula Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

After a very brief change of venue last year, when it moved to Cologne, BMW decided to return for the 25th aniversary of the BMW International Open back to Bavaria and to the Golfclub München Eichenried, where the event was first staged back in October 1989, just days before the Berlin Wall came down. Last year's Cologne detour wasn't necessarilly one of the tournament's best, with one of the weakest fields in their history, but this year things are looking to be going back up a notch, thanks in part to the welcome presence of Dustin Johnson, who played in the event in 2011 as well, and who obviously developed some close relationship with the sponsors after his BMW Playoffs win in 2010. The date, just after the US Open, is obviously not ideal but the tournament should be worth at least 32 points to the winner this year...

Looking at the list of winners over the last 7-8 years or so, you don't know if it's more of a blessing or a curse for the winner's future career: Willett, Horsey, Dougherty, Kaymer, Fasth, Stenson, Howell... all of those experiencing significant slumps in the years to come after their wins here. Strangely enough, Berhard Langer never won his home event, and I'm a bit surprised that he is not in the field this week considering the form he showed on the Senior circuit as well as at this year's Masters. But Martin and Marcel are certainly in, and so is Alex Cejka and the new German hope, Maximillian Kieffer.

But leaving aside the strong home challenge, for some reason I'm fancying a Latino (or two) to do well this week in Munich and especially a Spaniard, who'll be looking for some sort of revenge for the thrashing and the humiliation they received on the football pitch from the German sides earlier this year (Larrazabal is a big Barca fan, while Garcia is a massive Real Madrid fan). To that extent I wouldn't mind to see once again a play-off between Pablito and Sergio, and maybe throwing in Matteo as well for good measure...

Organisers are saying that there have been some significant changes made to a few holes on the 7157 yard/par 72 course, making it more challenging. But the biggest challenge could come later in the week from the weather, when temperatures are expected to drop and rain and even thunderstorms are possible...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW International Open Empty Re: European Tour - BMW International Open

Post by themightyone Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

Ermpf, where is everyone? 

As for the first hour or so of play: Tom Lewis has (once again) catapulted out of the blocks, -5 (-6 from holes 11-16). Ernie doing well at -3. I fancy Alex Noren for this one for some reason. 

Does anyone of the OWGR-wizard brigade know if the count has stopped at 32? 

Cheers PD, great write up once again.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW International Open Empty Re: European Tour - BMW International Open

Post by puligny Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

Yes cheers pd. can young Tom keep it going? No doubt has all the skills. Anecdote alert : I saw DavidHowell give young Tom a rocket for pace of play at Open Qualifying at Sunningdale last year. Very impressive - no holding back from DH. Made sure the caddy new his responsibility as well!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

Cheers, guys.
Not sure how 'more challenging' that course is, after only about a third of a round gone, half of the guys are 2-under or better...

Goya's flying the Latino flag early on, maybe he got some courage after playing at Merion (where he didn't play too badly, specially the first day)...

Will Lewis last this time for 4 rounds?
Didn't actually back Noren, but I did back Ross Fisher in my FT. He needs a top result this week or next at the Irish to get his confidence back... certainly a player in the 'underperforming' category for me...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 20 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

Ernie driving the fastest milk cart in the West.

Interesting to see how Fisher and Lynn fare this week. Wonder if Fish is resigned to playing the Four-Tournament Q-School or whether he's given up his PGA Tour ambitions completely?

Thanks pd, Shoot-Outs on both sides of the Atlantic then!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 20 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

golfchannel.com reminds that 7th place (after the morning's play) Brandon Stone is a 20-y-o South African, making his pro debut with a 66.
Auspicious start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 20 Jun 2013, 3:51 pm

Kwini - Fisher was interviewed during Wentworth and said he was definitely going back to US after a run of tournaments in Europe. Not certain exactly what his options are but didn't give the impression he was giving up the opportunity? Wherever he is will have to roll it better on the greens.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 20 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

Hi puligny,
Looks like he's playing in Ireland and France, not sure after that.
Thing is, he'll only have the "Deere", Reno, Canada, Mississippi and Greensboro left.
And he'll have his work cut out over those tournaments given another 100 guys scrambling for their card also. Never say never but he's given himself a mountain to climb - spot on regarding the greens! Too good a ball-striker to struggle as he does.

Really enjoy watching the ET on Golf Channel when Warren Humphries is running the show. No histrionics, doesn't pander to anyone, just articulate with tons of knowledge.
Top class.
Wonder how many American viewers would know he was in a Walker Cup winning Team, against Messrs Wadkins and Kite among others? And certainly a far better commentator than Wadkins will ever be - getting a bit of a chip on his shoulder in his old age is Young Lanny!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 20 Jun 2013, 5:47 pm

Kwini - Hampshire lad doing well at amateur Championship, 1/4 final, and more hopefully tomorrow - hope I haven't jinxed him. NeilRaymomd from Corhampton. Won Brabazon Trophy (Brit open am strokeplay) last 2 years and won st Andrews Links 2 weeks ago. At 27 old(ish) for an am today but learning his trade before turning pro.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:36 pm

puligny thumbsup
Good luck to him, will he be Walker Cupping?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:15 pm

Kwini, he looks a shoe in but you never know. Certainly on results in big tournaments he should be. I think ranked in the 20's, and has won outside UK. Picked up big tournaments in Australia last 2 years and played for England regularly.
Won county foursomes at my home club a couple of years ago, and was picking up a bit of casual office work from the county office afterwards to feed his golf habit! Not a pampered am but impressive player.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Great day for the defending Champ... Didn't think he'll feature up there considering his recent form and the fact that he won last year at a different venue...

Ernie looks to be in the zone and should be hard to beat. Nice round also for Uhlein, overtaking his more illustrious fellow American...

And no, I didd not think for a moment about Levy (or Stal, or Campillo..) when I said I fancy a Latino to do well here... 
But I did consider RedWine as an option, for sure...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 21 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

Thomas Bjorn will be in the mix Sunday.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 21 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

Hell Rocky has made the cut.Found fame today though question on Eggheads what sport did Robert rock and symon dyson play.The strangley attractive Judith got it wrong

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

Some of the creame is slowly gathering at the top behind Ernie, so he'll need to make a clear statement today to stay ahead of the pack...

Very nice recovery from Sergio in particular and continued sparkling form by the young Saffer, Brandon Stone, very impressive...
The Germans have to start moving (up), or they will lose touch ...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

Impressive from Sergio, but would think he'll need another similar Sunday to win this.
Love it when the E.T. has a strong leaderboard . . . . let's hope for the same next week. Perhaps on the back of an Irish win in America?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

pedro wrote:Thomas Bjorn will be in the mix Sunday.

Not bad, pedro...Wink

And I'm glad to see it as I have him in my FT.
Unexpected drop from Els, maybe the jetlag is catching up with him...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

Another impressive week for the young American guns in Europe...

Uihlein mixing it up very nicely with the big boys at the top in Bavaria and Koepka with yet another scintillating round today in Scotland (62)...

These guys are good!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

Looks like Ernie's milkcart has stalled.

Uihlein and Koepka each have the chance of reaching the top 100 (and the PGA!) if they maintain their positions today and continue with good form for another few weeks. As Alanis might say: That's Ironic!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

Damn! Really annoyed that I didn't pick Noren...

Nice interview there with Bjorn, paying his tributes to Billy Foster, looking like a great team right now...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

What's with Alexander Levy?

I'm familiar with "Alexandra Leaving" but this seems to be something completely different Rolling Eyes

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 6:32 pm

Pitty about that last bogey (good bogey mind you), quite enjoyed watching him today, still outscoring Ernie...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 7:00 pm

Oh, Kakakakakaymer...picard

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 22 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

Good finish from Ernie and Alexander, great leaderboard.

Looks like a Martin/Marcel pairing is on the cards for tomorrow, should be a cracking final day...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Jun 2013, 7:56 pm

pd,
FDez received a sponsor's invite to Hartford; not sure whether they're always solicited by the player (or agent) or lavished on "names" the sponsor might hope will add lustre to the field.
If the latter, could be an offer he felt he couldn't refuse.

It might be beneficial to O'Grady's cause if Fish had top finishes this week and next! I'm pessimistic about his American adventure . . . . . . but still consider him a top player.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 22 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm

princedracula wrote:
pedro wrote:Thomas Bjorn will be in the mix Sunday.

Not bad, pedro...Wink

And I'm glad to see it as I have him in my FT.
Unexpected drop from Els, maybe the jetlag is catching up with him...?
Somebody will need to shoot a 66 or lower to take the title from TB. Out with his buddy Ernie in penultimate ball btw.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:13 am

RRocky (and Broberg) zoomed through the 18 holes in just over 3 hours in a brilliant round of 65. That should put him in good spirits for next week at Carton House...

Talking of which, the 'patron' of Carton House, Sgane Lowry, is having a great time out there as well with 4 early birdies...

Things may get more complicated for the top guys later on with rain and winds expected to pick up quite a bit in the afternoon... so I wouldn't rule out yet anyone from around 8-under upwards...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:31 am

Don't know if it's because he had a wurst or made a wurst, but Shane Lowry seems to be in the mood...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

pedro wrote:
Somebody will need to shoot a 66 or lower to take the title from TB. Out with his buddy Ernie in penultimate ball btw.

A great group for sure, with the two caddies included. The Danish Bear in front already...

Great week for Dustin, good to see him coming over and he even half committed
in that interview to come back next year...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

Is it too early to call this a three-horse race?
And: Is it too early to call Colin Montgomerie the best senior golfer without a Senior Major??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

..and without any kind of Major for that matter. Happy Birthday to him.
He must've been itching to get out there on the senior tour since he decided
not to come and play next week on his own course at Carton House...

Allez Alex! Brilliant play and attitude from the young Frenchman, really enjoyed watching him...

Great story for Huang of China... He said he used to carry bags of cement up to the 6th floor on building sites to make a living when he was young and only picked a club first time when he was 22. In for probably the biggest cheque of his carreer after a remarkable week and no less than 24 birdies (9 of them today)...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 2:14 pm

Els and Bjorn having their midlife crisis there at the 11th... An opportunity for Alex...?

EDIT: ...or maybe not?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 2:34 pm

C'est Levy!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

Golf Channel has the BMW on the dreaded tape-delay, while Hartford's pgatour.com feed is as schizophrenic as Alex Noren's golf.
Hang on, I'll follow the cricket instead . . . . . Oh!

C'est Levy or not Levy - I'm with pedro and hoping Billy Foster gets the "W"!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

C'est le Big Easy!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 23 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

A lip-in on 17 and a few lucky breaks for Ernie on the back-9, combined with a double on 14 cost TB the win.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

Sounds like an exciting final round; wish we could've seen it live!

Koepka easing in to the Challenge lead.

Is Bjorn fully fit now?
If he is, you'd think this will be a good summer for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:03 pm

Just before that double bogey which derailed him today, have to say that Bjorn was hitting his wedges as pure as I've ever seen him hitting them at his best... according to the commentators, Billy Foster said that Thomas is the best wedge player in the world, and he's seen a few from close range in his career... BTW, this is his best owgr result since September 2011 when he had those back-to-back wins...

Well done to Alex Levy, it was fun to watch him... lots of talent, just needs to slow down a bit at times.

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

"lots of talent, just needs to slow down a bit" also describes young Patrick Reed over here.

PS: Reckon BF is right about TB.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

Still not sure if Koepka wins this today and gets his ET card, if he can come and play at the Irish Open next week...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:26 pm

And another interesting bit about Thomas: he won his Irish Open trophey in 2006 playing at Carton House! But hey, don't rush to place your bets just yet...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:29 pm

So Ernie moves to #14-15 and TB to ~#54 on the owgr.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 23 Jun 2013, 6:43 pm

Open qualifying tomorrow for a few of these guys.Washing Tuesday then oirland wednesday

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 23 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

That's true and the new European Tour member, Brooks Koepka will also be among them:

http://www.theopen.com/en/Qualification/InternationalFinalQualifying.aspx?entries=Europe

Looks like a pretty tough contest...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

I can never understand why they don't stage Open Championship qualifying on a Links Course.
I see Nick Dougherty is playing - would love to see his career rebound and not just fade and Di.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:56 pm

princedracula wrote:And another interesting bit about Thomas: he won his Irish Open trophey in 2006 playing at Carton House! But hey, don't rush to place your bets just yet...
I fancy TB again for this week. And one can not look past Shane Lowry - for several reasons.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down