The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd?

+22
Josiah Maiestas
Johnyjeep
Chydremion
Haddie-nuff
FedsFan
CaledonianCraig
MrInvisible
Calder106
Danny_1982
time please
laverfan
JuliusHMarx
lydian
invisiblecoolers
Henman Bill
whocares
Mad for Chelsea
banbrotam
carrieg4
kingraf
JubbaIsle
hawkeye
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd? - Page 2 Empty Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd?

Post by hawkeye Tue 02 Jul 2013, 6:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Verdasco's chances against Murray in Wimbledon's quarter final are being discussed elsewhere I'm sure. But what about his chances against the the other huge and unique obstacle he will have to face. That is the Wimbledon crowd. IMO the most tricky crowd to face when they want you to lose. Just ask Gaquet, Federer at the Olympics and Nadal in his first round match this year...

Verdasco is well aware of his double challenge as he made reference to it.

"You know, of course is going to be difficult to beat him also with the crowd and everything."

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2013-07-01/201307011372699848434.html

I looked back to see what experience he had in facing a hostile crowd and could only find two matches that could in any way compare. The AO in 2012 were Verdasco lost in 5 sets to Tomic 6-4, 7-6, 4-6, 2-6,5-7. And the Davis Cup final in 2008 (played in Argentina) were Verdasco won in 5 sets against Acususo 6-3, 6-7, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.

So what are his chances? Will he crumble when he hears the roar of the crowd? How does a player practice for such an occasion?

I didn't watch. I don't like to watch ugly play and the Wimbledon crowd can play some ugly stuff. From the score it looked like Verdasco held his own for a while. However reading through the commentary I saw this from Pat Cash at a crucial point in the fourth set.

"Now Verdasco is getting frustrated. The noise of the crowd is putting him off."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23098453

I suppose it was to be expected...

--------------------------------------------

Next up for the Wimbledon crowd is Janowicz.

Unlike Verdasco Janowicz appears to have little experience of playing in front of hostile crowds. In fact I could find none. Judging from his quarter final match today it may be that he has little experience of playing in front of crowds... or indeed in front of anyone at all... The silence and absence of spectators on court one today could prove beneficial though as it allowed him to hear what he will be up against. The only noise on court one was the roar of the Wimbledon crowd on Henman Hill cheering on his next opponent. Hopefully he can build on this experience.

So what are his chances against a crowd that will be desperate for a win?

Last edited by hawkeye on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd?

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 04 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Rightio,

Any sportsperson/team will always draw on support from the crowd. They will always be inspired by a home crowd encouraging them along. It can help raise a person's performance without a shadow of doubt.  This has happened since time immemorial. There is absolutely nothing ground breaking here.

Have you ever played in front of a crowd? To be honest, I often wonder if you have ever performed a sporting activity in your life.

For some unfathomable reason, you are trying to turn it into a mountainous obstacle that cannot be overcome. That without them, Murray would be nothing more than lambs to the slaughter. That his opponent has to beat both the 'crowd' and Murray.

You are trying to tell people that the Wimbledon crowd, who are without a shadow of a doubt, the most reasonable crowd of all the Grand Slams, are some 'monster' that without them Murray could not prevail. It's utter and total nonsense.

Ask yourself why has Murray not won Wimbledon before? Ask yourself why did Henman not win it? Does this blur of logic confuse you?

I watched the Rafa match. I watched the Roger match. I watched the Andy match. The crowd were not doing anything out of the ordinary. They are respectful to the players. (I wasn't there as you were but hey, you like to comment on things you've never seen - the Murray match from yesterday - so I don't see why I can't reach a conclusion actually based on my own observations whether they be live or from TV).

And crowds occaisonally cheer on an underdog. Again something that has happened since time immemorial in sport. By watching Federer lose, by watching Nadal lose, the crowds are witnessing something rare and, in Federer's case, pretty unique. They will have got more value for money from that, than just saying..Fed won in straight sets (again). It's exciting. It's sport.

The bottom line is still, that the best player wins a tennis match. Accept it and move on.

Last edited by Johnyjeep on Thu 04 Jul 2013, 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd?

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 04 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:hawkeye I sometimes wonder if you are interested in tennis or if your interest here is limited to initiating silly threads that are either open attacks on Murray or thinly veiled attempts to denigrate his achievements.
Any sarky comments are fully merited, given the 'hostile', 'ugly crowd', 'beast' comments etc. The Wimbledon crowds are none of these.

If you want a sensible discussion on the matter, then limit yourself to sensible posts. Then it wouldn't be irritating. As it is, it doesn't irritate me as a poster, it irritates me because it shows the forum in a poor light. I think your posts reflect badly on the forum.

I wish I had read this first. Well said JHM.

Alas, I broke my own self-imposed rule not to read any more HE comments/threads.

Back into my asylum I go.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 04 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

Murray is not going to say, "for all I care the crowd can jeer at me or eat their prawn sandwiches."

What the Wimbledon crowd does not do is try to upset and get in the face of the opponent.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 04 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

hawkeye wrote:Julius. I sometimes wonder if you are interested in tennis or if your interest here is limited to making sarky or amusing comments.Murray said the crowd made a HUGE, HUGE difference.

What's he going to say? It makes no difference so they might as well be quiet? picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 6:30 pm

I think Jerzy will handle the pressure just fine. I actually think he is 40 percent chance to beat Murray. Andy looked really inconsistent and was not feeling the ball on his strings well at all. I think Janowicz is a tough matchup on grass for anyone and I think this is going to be a much closer affair than many people think. For certain all the sets will be decided by a break here and there and some tiebreakers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 6:46 pm

Any Can Janowicz Beat The Wimbledon Crowd? - Page 2 1347041234 left?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 04 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

HE you could have rather opened a new thread discussing JJ's possibility coz its confusing since you just changed the title of Verdasco's thread.

To answer the same question for a different player, I guess Wimbledon crowd is pretty intelligent and appreciate good games by either player and hence JJ have to just play his game to win the match.

Will centre court do their best to spur Murray on? yes they will, but they would not do anything to curb JJ's game. thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:02 pm

I think JJ is in a great position for tomorrow. He's done unbelievably well and will have very little pressure on him. He can go out swinging, which ironically is the gameplan he should adopt anyway.

I don't think he'll be affected by a pro Murray crowd at all. He has bucket loads of character and that little bit of nastiness to his demeanour that will see him through.

I agree with socal, I think it will be tight. If Murray can work the serve out then it's in his favour, but if JJ gets 70%+ first serves in then he has a real shot. I'm a worried Murray fan!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:08 pm

I'm actually glad I will be at work when the match is on!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
I agree with socal, I think it will be tight. If Murray can work the serve out then it's in his favour, but if JJ gets 70%+ first serves in then he has a real shot. I'm a worried Murray fan!

I would surprised if its last more than 3 sets, it should be a straight sets for Murray, Verdasco brought in lot more variety with a great execution
yet lost , JJ serve might keep him in the game, anything outside st.sets in my view JJ will get real applause from me.

I do like a underdog upset and would love to see a new face in the finals, but its least likely to happen, its bit over hyped in my view, I am a Murray fan may not be a die hard like CC, Banbro , you and others and I am not worried, I was more worried at Verdasco pre-match.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:20 pm

Carrie - I'm not sure if I sympathise for you or envy you! Hug 

I used to enjoy the roller coaster a lot more with Henman. Not sure why, perhaps because deep down I never really believed he could win it. Like being a Ferrer fan nowadays perhaps.

But with Murray there is something to lose, or it feels that way. If he plays two matches really well he could win it. I think that's what makes it so tough to sit through.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

I hope you're right IC thumbsup

I said before the tournament that JJ is someone I want Murray to avoid, and as soon as Rafa and Roger went out I said JJ is the only one who could stop Murray getting to the final.

Hopefully, I'm wrong! 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Carrie - I'm not sure if I sympathise for you or envy you! Hug 

I used to enjoy the roller coaster a lot more with Henman. Not sure why, perhaps because deep down I never really believed he could win it. Like being a Ferrer fan nowadays perhaps.

But with Murray there is something to lose, or it feels that way. If he plays two matches really well he could win it. I think that's what makes it so tough to sit through.

Exactly Danny.

I'm probably better off at work to be honest, I'd only be at home flicking over to something on the other side at all the dicey moments anyway. I am a wuss.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

Laugh  how on earth did you watch the US open final Carrie? That first set tie break, the near collapse in the second set, the actual collapse in the third, the crazy tense first few games of the 5th...

You must have barely watched a minute!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 8:01 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Laugh  how on earth did you watch the US open final Carrie? That first set tie break, the near collapse in the second set, the actual collapse in the third, the crazy tense first few games of the 5th...

You must have barely watched a minute!

That was at night so a bit easier to relax ( RedWine Whistle ) although I was still really tense right to the end.

Not quite so easy mid afternoon.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 8:49 pm

Ah I see. A late Friday afternoon is acceptable to have a few drinks though.

Obviously ur at work, so I'd suggest putting some red in a ribena bottle and getting the iplayer on. Nobody will notice! Wink

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

Laugh 

I work in a hospital so it's sobriety and avoidance for me.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:06 pm

Well I will be working tomorrow so I won't see it unless the first semi is a four hour marathon in which case I may catch the very end of Andy's semi.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:11 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well I will be working tomorrow so I won't see it unless the first semi is a four hour marathon in which case I may catch the very end of Andy's semi.

I hope they go for the record Craig Whistle 

Then you can watch it all Very Happy 

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

It would be nice but I cannot see the first semi going any further than three hours. That being the case Andy will be starting at around 4.30pm and I don't get in from work until around 8pm. Still if he gets the right result I won't mind as I am off on Sunday so shall see the final.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

Noooo, then we'll have endless discussions about how the final was ruined by del Potro/Djokovic being knackered after their 8-hr epic and Murray/Janowicz having to play on Saturday and Sunday.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:28 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Laugh 

I work in a hospital so it's sobriety and avoidance for me.

Laugh well that kinda changes things. PLEASE ignore my suggestion!

Craig - sky plus the match and avoid the score until after 8, or will that be impossible?

I watched the 5th set of the Verdasco match at 9pm last night as had to leave at 6.30 to play football and managed to avoid hearing anything.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:32 pm

No Danny I think that will be impossible. I know I will end up following the scores on my phone on the BBC website.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2