The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final?

+9
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
yloponom68
Danny_1982
carrieg4
gboycottnut
13 posters

Go down

What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final? Empty What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final?

Post by gboycottnut Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:47 pm

With Lord Federer looking in really serious ominious form in this year's Wimbledon championship, what can Andy do to help him overcome the great Swiss Master? Should Andy ask for the grass to be painted Red in the hope that Federer is allergic to the Red Stuff, or should Andy even adopt playing with his left hand in the hope that this will put a degree of confusion into Federer's mind that he is in fact playing Rafael Nadal in disguise.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final? Empty Re: What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final?

Post by carrieg4 Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:21 pm

He needs to do what he did on the 8 occasions he beat him ie not get overwhelmed by the occasion or the pedigree of his opponent and just get on with the match at hand. Not saying that that would be enough, Fed has not won 16 slams for nothing, but it will give him his best chance. Hopefully he is still avoiding all media coverage like the plague.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final? Empty Re: What can Murray do to beat Federer in the Wimbledon Final?

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:55 pm

He can beat him, he knows that. We all know that because we've all seen him do it. But Federer plays the occasion like he's playing in his garden. Murray hasn't been able to do that up to now.

If this was a masters final it'd probably be a 50-50 call. Murray has repeatedly failed to play uninhibited in slam semis and finals, but he finally fully expressed himself in Melbourbe against Novak, and my hope is that he plays just as freely and aggressively tomorrow.

If he does, it's 50-50. But that's a big if, because this is Federer and this is Murrays home slam. In terms of the basics, he needs to serve as well as he has done, unleash on the forehand and try and rip on the Federer second serve. Backhand cross court will also be a big shot for him.

But most of all, play uninhibited.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Agree that he should play in an uninhibited way.Murray thinks too much, and Federer is human (believe it or not) so it's pretty much 50/50 to me.If he tightrns up though he stands no chance.He was playing well against Nadal last year til he lost his cool;adding aggression to the counter-punching, but when he lost his mindset his game lost his shape and he missed the lines by an inch every single time.I think a calm, patient game is good enough, no fireworks or necessarily that much brilliance.

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

1st serve at 80% or over....(Federer will punish any short serves from Murray, 1st or 2nd)...

Good depth on balls, no short balls (Federer will pull the trigger on anything short in the court)...

Positive attitude/body language - whatever the score, he must not give Federer any positive reinforcement as to his state of mind, negativity...

Take chances, play aggressively from start to finish - Federer will NOT give him this match, he's going to have to TAKE it; if he does, then we will see a totally different player/attitude emerge from this match win.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 pm

I not subscribe o the idea he's a massive underdog, I'd say this one is totally up for grabs.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 pm

No he isn't a massive underdog but he is the underdog. I hope it is a great match and Murray does himself justice. If he does and he loses then hats off to Roger. For me I need to see some sign from Andy that he is getting closer to win a slam tomorrow. Hopefully, I will see that and that he sticks to an aggressive gameplan and I will be pleased with that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 pm

He has the h2h advantage. He's at his peak, Federer isn't.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:32 pm

And Roger Federer is deemed the greatest of all-time whilst many posters on here have been tipping Murray to get beaten in every match this Wimbledon since Round Two. (not you BB)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:He has the h2h advantage. He's at his peak, Federer isn't.

BB. Behave Wink You know very well that this years court conditions are what Fed thrives in and it's no coincidence that the two best fast hard court players are contesting the final

I actually don't think Murray is at his peak and am pleasantly surprised that he's got the final - don't forget back issues have hindered a lot of what Lendl wants him to do been put into practice. For me, he will be better next year

But of course he has a chance. In every match they've played he's always had at least a couple of break point opportunities and he must take them this time

Fed is the 60:40 favourite though - simply because in the last 6 months he's occasionally reminded us of 2004/5

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Bogbrush - Your insistence that it is wide open is worrying me... Because its giving me that quintessential British delusion... Hope!

I see Federer as favourite, but I hope you are right.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:58 pm

I think BB is employing a bit of kidology. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I think BB is employing a bit of kidology. Wink

Never Run

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:26 pm

banbrotam wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I think BB is employing a bit of kidology. Wink

Never Run
60:40 is in the balance for me, so we're not disagreeing.

I just don't get this idea that Murray is going in as a plucky hopeful. Not with a h2h lead and being 25 against almost 31.

I hope Fed wins, of course, but I won't be heartbroken if Murray does, only sad for Feds loss.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 pm

But surely BB as GOAT then Roger should be expected to win a slam at 31. After all others not as talented have managed it as old as 34. From my point of view I just want Murray to do himself justice. If he does that and loses then hats off to Roger on his 17th Slam win and I will look forward to the rest of the season with great hope. If I see another straight sets defeat playing passively I will be having grave doubts Andy will ever win a slam sadly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Rafa and Andy are mates aren't they? Maybe Andy should convince Rafa to walk out at the start as if he's playing him and act normal "Rosol? never heard of him? What are you on about?" That should throw him.

Then when Fed's not looking Rafa and Andy swop places and then when Fed's like "did you see Rafa?" Andy could say "what are you on about mate. Are you alright?"

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:But surely BB as GOAT then Roger should be expected to win a slam at 31. After all others not as talented have managed it as old as 34. From my point of view I just want Murray to do himself justice. If he does that and loses then hats off to Roger on his 17th Slam win and I will look forward to the rest of the season with great hope. If I see another straight sets defeat playing passively I will be having grave doubts Andy will ever win a slam sadly.
Because Federer is well off his peak so he could lose.

And because it's a one-off match, not a league system. In the league (the rankings) Federer is well ahead, but this is a cup final.

So it's in the balance.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 am

HB are you alright there sonny?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:51 am

I agree with BB, this match in my view is like 51-49 to Fed, come on Murray hold positive h2h against the GOAT and he is playing well and the tough draw has helped very him mature a lot.

I have been saying this Andy is a very very good grass court player, he should have made the finals back in 2009 if not for Andy Roddick's inspirational performance.

Saying all that I am not ruling out Fed's chances but I guess its gonna be Murray in 4.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:39 am

There is no doubt how good Federer can be, but I find anyone winning so many majors in any sport very tiresome, so I hope Murray can send smug Federer packing today. predictability is boring, so being a fan of someone who has won so much must be an immense anti climax for his glory hunting fans, plus they look really silly decked out in RF hats and silly swiss face paint, grow up, you're a middle aged housewife.

by the way, who is the cowboy who seems to have taken permanent residence in the players box?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 am

super_realist wrote:There is no doubt how good Federer can be, but I find anyone winning so many majors in any sport very tiresome, so I hope Murray can send smug Federer packing today. predictability is boring, so being a fan of someone who has won so much must be an immense anti climax for his glory hunting fans, plus they look really silly decked out in RF hats and silly swiss face paint, grow up, you're a middle aged housewife.

by the way, who is the cowboy who seems to have taken permanent residence in the players box?
It's not correct to say anyone admiring Federers unique style does so for glory, for me at least it's always been about the virtuosity.

I think we'll have a long time to be bored once Federer is gone, which isnt far away.

Oh, and tennis fans are embarrassing, full stop. Have you checked out Andys fans recently, especially the middle aged ladies?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 am

I agree the once a year tennis fans are cringeworthy. Wimbledon is for tennis what x factor is for music. It gives non sports fans something to have an interest in while x factor does the same for non music fans.
Tim's Hen's were just as bad as the fans of Nadal ,Federer and Murray, and whoever makes tennis ball earings wants shooting.

Probably won't be long before we see a 'Marray, will you marry me' sign held up by a post menopausal housewife.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:33 am

Hope Lendl earns his money?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 am

bogbrush wrote:
super_realist wrote:There is no doubt how good Federer can be, but I find anyone winning so many majors in any sport very tiresome, so I hope Murray can send smug Federer packing today. predictability is boring, so being a fan of someone who has won so much must be an immense anti climax for his glory hunting fans, plus they look really silly decked out in RF hats and silly swiss face paint, grow up, you're a middle aged housewife.

It's not correct to say anyone admiring Federers unique style does so for glory, for me at least it's always been about the virtuosity.

I think we'll have a long time to be bored once Federer is gone, which isnt far away.

Oh, and tennis fans are embarrassing, full stop. Have you checked out Andys fans recently, especially the middle aged ladies?

Exactly.

Tennis is not football. It is an individual sport where each man plays for himself. Andy Murray even said he is not bothered when asked about how hard it must be for his parents to watch him play. He probably doesn't give two figs about the nation and it's desperate yearning for a 'home grown champion'. I abhore the peddling of jingoistic sentiments, dictated to me as if I am a sheep that needs to be told what is good and right.

And what an assinine assumption - supporting Federer immediately makes one a glory hunter! Did it cross your mind that some people just like the way he plays the game? Fed hasn't won a slam in 2.5 years. Why haven't all of those glory hunters jumped on the Djokovic bandwagon?

I don't care how often someone wins something. This is elite sport, not a social security fund that requires equitable distribution. What matters to me is how they do it, and no one does it with more skill, artistry, virtuosity and class than Federer.

I expect you're the same kind of person who finds Spain's 'pitter-patter' football boring and prefers the 'hoof the ball long and high' approach of England. Laugh

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 am

I'm partly in agreement with you. And in fact from the next year (after USO 2012 I mean) I am perfectly prepared to cheer someone else up, being him Delpotro, Murray or even Harrison should he make the cut.

For now what I think is Muzza's still young and will have countless opportunities in the future to grab that elusive slam, as for Fed the appoinment with hstory is right now fro the takings.

Go Fed!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

emancipator wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Exactly.

Tennis is not football. It is an individual sport where each man plays for himself. Andy Murray even said he is not bothered when asked about how hard it must be for his parents to watch him play. He probably doesn't give two figs about the nation and it's desperate yearning for a 'home grown champion'. I abhore the peddling of jingoistic sentiments, dictated to me as if I am a sheep that needs to be told what is good and right.

And what an assinine assumption - supporting Federer immediately makes one a glory hunter! Did it cross your mind that some people just like the way he plays the game? Fed hasn't won a slam in 2.5 years. Why haven't all of those glory hunters jumped on the Djokovic bandwagon?

I don't care how often someone wins something. This is elite sport, not a social security fund that requires equitable distribution. What matters to me is how they do it, and no one does it with more skill, artistry, virtuosity and class than Federer.

I expect you're the same kind of person who finds Spain's 'pitter-patter' football boring and prefers the 'hoof the ball long and high' approach of England. Laugh

ghost

emancipator

Emanci You rule , great reply thumbsup Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down