The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline?

+8
Dr Gregory House MD
Kay Fabe
MetalMotty
Samo
x12x
The-Rizz
Hero
Crimey
12 posters

Go down

Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline? Empty Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline?

Post by Crimey Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

Last week on Raw we saw Vince McMahon compliment The Shield by saying they reminded him of himself as well as stopping Vickie Guerrero firing them, albeit seemingly unaware he was doing so. Earlier in the night, Triple H had demanded that Vickie Guerrero deal with The Shield strongly, taking a very different outlook to his father-in-law. Now both these segments weren't presented as anything more than throwaway, The Shield's involvement in them was inconsequential rather than crucial, the real focus was on the McMahons...however it got me, and probably many others, thinking about a possibility.

The Shield in recent weeks have started to stall, trapped in a never-ending feud with Team Hell No and one other they've struggled to recreate the same excitement and impact they made when they first started with the attacks on Cena, Ryback and The Rock, even their attack on The Undertaker feels like a distant memory now. The crowd aren't as into them as they first were and The Shield have essentially been hijacked by Bryan as his own personal pushing machine. 

The possibility is though that if the McMahon's feud gets physical that rather than wrestling himself, Vince hires three young, talented stars that remind him of himself in The Shield. I have no doubt that this storyline would refresh The Shield, while in the beginning it felt like WWE were going to use them to make big changes in WWE, for the most part their feud has had very little effect on the rest of the WWE and they've lost purpose. A big feud involving the McMahons, which would inevitably take centre stage would be the perfect way to re-legitimise The Shield.

However, I do see some issues with a possible storyline that merges The Shield into it:

1. The Shield would be overshadowed

It is certainly possible that if not presented and booked right, that The Shield could actually lose focus and heat within the feud. If shown as McMahon's lackeys rather than gain legitimacy, they will lose it. The McMahon feud would overshadow The Shield's involvement and reduce them to nothing but a glorified Spirit Squad. 

2. The inevitable outcome of the feud

The problem with The Shield in this feud, and perhaps the problem overall and the reason they do seem to be petering out is what the inevitable ending of the story would have to be...that is the beating of The Shield. In my mind, the feud would go along the lines of Vince using The Shield as his own battering ram to control the WWE, and that Triple H would have to build his super team to face them, let's say Triple H, CM Punk and The Undertaker. The issue there is that this super team would presumably have to beat The Shield to end the feud otherwise it's hard to see an ending. While a feud on equal footing with those guys would elevate The Shield, I can't help but think it wouldn't be presented as that and The Shield would be a risk of a burial, they were used by Bryan for his own personal push, so how would they cope with guys like Triple H, CM Punk and The Undertaker? 

For me I think if booked right, an involvement with the McMahons would help The Shield, the McMahons are still some of the biggest names in wrestling and to play a big role in that feud would give them massive exposure. However there is a lot of room for it to go wrong, so what do people think? Is it a good idea, or are the risks involved too high?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline? Empty Re: Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline?

Post by Hero Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

From what I've read HHH is huge on Ambrose so I wonder if Ambrose will be used as Vince's representative in the ring v HHH at some point with the Shield beating down Trips?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline? Empty Re: Would The Shield benefit from the McMahon storyline?

Post by The-Rizz Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:05 pm

I think it would benefit the Shield to be used in a high profile storyline with the McMahon's.  Like you said they are sort of floundering a little bit at the moment since the end of the fued with Team Hell No. 

I wouldn't involve CM Punk & Undertaker though, rather see HHH bring back Road Dogg & Billy Gunn for a DX reunion.  That way the Shield can pick up a few victories, dish out a few beatdowns to keep them looking strong. 

Eventually I would have HHH turn to help from Undertaker (who would be after revenge on the Shield anyway) and maybe get Kane involved as well, for a little Brothers of Destruction reunion.

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

The way I'd play it is this:

Have The Shield start working for Vince, have them becoming really smug, pushing smaller guys around...a bit like they were with Vickie "What are you going to do? Spank us?" and the way they almost seemed to be sucking up to Vince.

Have this continue in a war for a while between HHH and Vince until they bump in to someone like Punk who starts a feud with Ambrose (someone he said he saw as the next "CM Punk") have Punk make them see the light of who they've become and what they used to mean and then have them turn on Vince....this could serve two purposes...it lets Vince "retire", giving HHH full control and it shows that they still believe in justice.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 23 Jun 2013, 8:02 pm

The-Rizz wrote:
Eventually I would have HHH turn to help from Undertaker (who would be after revenge on the Shield anyway) and maybe get Kane involved as well, for a little Brothers of Destruction reunion.

HHH and the Brothers Of Destruction vs The Shield at Mania 30. Dare I say, give Ambrose the streak.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

Think shield are ok on their own. Dont need Vince.

And as for the streak I hope it's never broken, especially by Ambrose. Not that I have anything against him just;

1) Ambrose is not a credible opponent on his own. If it's the whole of the shield now that's a threat :-)

2) dont think he deserves to end the streak

3) The streak should remain always

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:17 pm

Has anyone other than Austin and HHH really benefitted long term from being in a program with the McMahon's

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:45 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Has anyone other than Austin and HHH really benefitted long term from being in a program with the McMahon's

Hornswoggle?

Mick Foley and The Rock at a push had some high profile times around 97/98 in association with Vince

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:54 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Has anyone other than Austin and HHH really benefitted long term from being in a program with the McMahon's

That's part of my question really.

In theory, it should be sound advice to get somebody over by associating them with some of the biggest characters in the WWE, but it's very rarely handled well, I do think with the right booking it would be very good though.

I think Orton got more over than he ever has been with his fight with the McMahons, even if the roles were a bit skewed. I also doubt Spirit Squad would have lasted as long without the association (although I see that isn't a good thing or long-term benefit.)

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:09 am

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

Hornswoggle?

Mick Foley and The Rock at a push had some high profile times around 97/98 in association with Vince
Did Foley really benefit though long term? I'd say his program with The Undertaker was way more beneficial,  as for The Rock, again I'd say you could easily argue he benefitted from working with the McMahons but I'm not so sure, I think by the time he began to work with them the train hsd left the station, I could be wrong but to me it looked like the McMahons were riding his coat tails rather than the other way around, still thats a matter of opinion, two good examples

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:49 am

It could be argued that Foley was on his last legs around mid 97, having been Mankind, Catctus Jack and Dude Love before reverting to Manking again, his association with Vince did keep him bumping around the top of the card and led to a few previously unthinkable WWF title reigns, of course a couple of small bumps at KOTR helped matters slightly.

I agree The Rock was nailed on as a main eventer but the who Survivor Series 98 angle and subsequent Corperation run and WWF title regins helped solidify his standing and paved the way for the Austin match at WM15.

I'd agree that WWF could have taken a different route with these guys and they were both tremendous talents who should have been at/were destined for the top of the card, but they went down the McMahon association route and it did lead to some great times and championship gold for both in late 97/early 98 and beyond.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:52 am

Back to the OP, I'm not entirly comertable with a McMahon/Sheild association, despite some notable successes, I've found the actual wrestlers never seem to come out too well in these situations, The Sheild are fortunate that they've procured themselves 3 midcard belts and I think it would be wiser to regress them slightly and keep them dominant instead of booking them into a situation where they are likely to be damaged.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:56 am

I'd say McMahon tried his best to put Bobby Lashley over, good call there Vince.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:14 am

Lesnar got over as a heel the second time after siding with McMahon. He left about 4 month after that program finished so hardly a long term benefit but it certainly helped at the time.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

Could it be said Punk's involvement with Vince during his on screen negotiating when he was leaving helped him?

Got the crowd even more behind him which was all part of the boost which saw him get the title for his record reign.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

I don't think it would hurt them.......it would be good for them to have another good storyline to get their teeth into. They seem to have been put on the back burner a little but since D Bryan has got going. Not happy about the amount of time they were on RAW this week.

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Tue 25 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

3 Way Survivor Series Match Vince with the Shield, 
Steph with ?? (Wyatt Family!!)
HHH with Axel and two others...?

Or Steph is going to join with her dad on HHH

x

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 25 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

imprettyfly wrote:3 Way Survivor Series Match Vince with the Shield, 
Steph with ?? (Wyatt Family!!)
HHH with Axel and two others...?

Or Steph is going to join with her dad on HHH

x

It's ok, I suffer from bi-polar too.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

Lol...

Slow work day

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down