The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder

+9
Imperial Ghosty
Lumbering_Jack
88Chris05
D4thincarnation
HumanWindmill
Rowley
Boxtthis
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder Empty Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:26 pm

One of the reasons I've always admired Floyd is because of the way he turns his head and uses his shoulders to block or to evade artillery. It's a very seldomly used method of defence...Obviously it is dependent on having good reflexes but the fact you can use your shoulders so effectively means you can stay in punching range and counter effectively..no doubt a reason for his success.....Mccallum,Hamed and Nunn are lesser examples of using the shoulders to great effect...

Sure great defensive fighters like Starling used the shell like defence but they only minimise the effect of the punches thrown as some of the power does get through...

Another advantage is you can rest without having to keep your hands up all the time which can be tiring in itself..especially as the fight progresses..

The shoulder for me is the more unused part of a fighters body these days.....Ali was a great exponent as was old Archie...

Floyd Mayweather I guess is the last of a dying breed.....

Who else used the shoulder to such great effect...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 09 May 2011, 12:29 pm

James Toney back in his pomp

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather and the dying art of using the shoulder

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:31 pm

James Toney there is a good one......Much underrated fighter..

Nice one.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 09 May 2011, 12:32 pm

Not on the same level as an overall boxer, but Paul McCloskey has an outstanding defense. Very relaxed and great use of the southpaw stance and shoulder to present a very small target. If only he was quick and accurate enough to get his counters off against world class operators.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 12:33 pm

Truss there is a video doing the rounds on youtube breaking down Burley's style and stance which covers this and does seem it was a little more common back in the day and when it is broken down you can see the benefits of this defensive style. Can't post the link as I'm at work. Of the modern fighters Hopkins also utilises this defence quite effectively on occasions

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 09 May 2011, 12:33 pm

Jersey Joe Walcott, with variations. Then again, Jersey Joe knew just about every trick in the book, and then some. Pity he suffered poor management problems early on and catastrophic lapses in concentration at crucial moments in some of his big fights. For ability alone, Jersey Joe could have carved himself a niche among the elite.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 09 May 2011, 12:36 pm

I asked this question before but nobody seem to know or give an definite answer?

Who developed the philly shell defense?

It think it would be a boxer from the late 30s probably from Philadelphia.

Any ideas?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:37 pm

Hoppo is a good one...Half the reason he's had such good longevity...

Walcott yep.....canny use of the shoulder and probably the best footwork in heavy history..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 12:38 pm

Can i suggest Hamed?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:40 pm

He's in the thread but you can suggest him by all means.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Sorry Truss, i had skimmed earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 09 May 2011, 12:42 pm

Ezzard Charles had to be one of the best and one of the first to use the shoulder roll.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:42 pm

Semi skimmed is better in my opinion....more protein in it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:42 pm

Whitaker obviously had it in his defensive make up - although mind you, there was little he didn't have in that department.

Still think that Nicolino Locche had as good a shoulder roll as anyone who's ever boxed. His first fight against Antonio Cervantes is a perfect example; never before have I seen a genuinely brilliant fighter (which Cervantes certainly was) struggle so much to land a single telling punch throughout a fight. Absolutely fantastic stuff from 'The Untouchable.'

But as you say Truss, it's a dying art. On the domestic scene, Fury has used it a few times, as has Brook, but those aside off the top of my head there aren't too many exponents this side of the pond that spring to mind.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:44 pm

You know Pernell should be included in the thread. Forgot all about him ..one of the reasons he was so great was the way he suckered people in and subtly maneouvred his shoulder to evade..

Excellent example..

I'll chuck in Britain's very own Herol Graham.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 1:10 pm

I dont think it is a dying art, it is just that it takes a truely special talent to pull it off. Floyd was wonderful reflexes so has all the basic fundematals to pull it off with years of practice.

Defensive boxing at its absolute best...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 1:11 pm

Very true lumbering........Takes years of practice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 May 2011, 1:13 pm

Researched this not so long ago and think the earliest elite level boxer I could find who used it was Burley but almost certain it dates back further than that, for me it's the best defence for a counter puncher, protects every vital area and leaves you in range to fire back.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 1:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Very true lumbering........Takes years of practice..

It is interesting watching his changes as he has moved through the weights. If you look at his first pro fight he comes out very attacking and virutally so sign of his trademark defence... Granted to opposition was poor.

As he has moved up he has realised the importance of it... Nothing more frustrating than being in range but still hitting thin air.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 1:21 pm

Absolutely and nothing more important than letting your opponent know if he ventures in you are in a perfect position to jump on a mistake...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 09 May 2011, 1:24 pm

First name that popped to mind was Toney but i see it was the first name out.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Dwight Qawi...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 09 May 2011, 8:22 pm

holyfield used to do a lot more often than he does now

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 May 2011, 9:25 pm

George Benton is another notable fighter to use the philly shell

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 10 May 2011, 9:42 am

I have seen James DeGale use the shoulder roll a bit, he looks to have good defensive ability and may adopt it more as his career goes on. I think he did some training with mayweather about 18 months ago and was impressed. When I watch him he sometimes looks as if he's attempting to emulate some of mayweathers style so PBF may not be the last of a dying breed.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 10 May 2011, 2:42 pm

Not on the same level as some of the above but Ian Napa employed the shoulder roll. As did Matthew Hatton earlier on in his career.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down