The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next?

+16
OasisBFC
bellchees
The Galveston Giant
zx1234
Lumbering_Jack
Rowley
Fists of Fury
Waingro
eddyfightfan
HumanWindmill
Bob
supremeboxingskills
Scottrf
88Chris05
Colonial Lion
Steffan
20 posters

Go down

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next?

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap29%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 13 ]
Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap42%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 19 ]
Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap7%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap4%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap4%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_lcap13%Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 45

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Empty Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next?

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Regards

Steffan

www.primetimelive.co.uk

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Empty Re: Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next?

Post by Colonial Lion Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm

If I had to guess, it would be Amir Khan. The immediate post fight comments have been same old story of Mayweather seemingly playing down the neccessity or prospect of a Pacquaio fight and outside of that I think Khan represents the most credible challenge as things stand at the moment.

One possibility that wasnt generally considered before was the prospect of moving up another weight. Physically, in his last few fights ayweather has gone some way to dispel the notion that he struggles with bigger fighters and has shown a more imposing side to to him. If Saul Alvarez continues to build his stock or Cotto can do build soe momentum I would not entirely rule those two out either as they are capable of bringing the neccessary financial incentive to tempt Mayweather and are certainly winnable fights for him.

But are we going to see another 18 month hiatus while the landscape changes or is Mayweather going to keep active?

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next? Empty Re: Who do you think Floyd Mayweather Jnr will fight next?

Post by Steffan Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Mayweather v the winner of Cotto Margarito 2 maybe?

Is Sergio Martinez out of the question?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm

I've gone for Pacquiao, possibly against my better judgement. Just something telling me that it will happen, otherwise what was the point of Mayweather's comeback in the first place? Assumining that the stories of him being on the road to financial ruin aren't accurate, of course.

Colonial, that's an interesting point you bring up about the possibility of Mayweather maybe testing the 154 lb waters again. I don't see a Cotto bout due to Cotto now being damaged goods so to speak, but given the money he brings to the table Alvarez could be an option, and I see that as a fight which would be Mayweather's to lose.

The optimist in me still says Pacquiao, though, even in the wake of Mayweather's latest "I don't need him" statement. Khan probably the second most likely option in my mind, with Alvarez third.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Colonial has probably picked the right fights.

Physically Mayweather seemed OK against Ortiz at 164lbs, so 168 Alvarez shouldn't be a problem due to size. He's inactive too (in the ring) so Mayweather might look at that.

Martinez is a similar size but I think Mayweather would see it as too much of a risk.

Khan looks likely for the future but would probably need to test the water at 147 after Peterson so I'll go Alvarez.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeboxingskills Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 pm

well in that fighthype video floyd said he MIGHT fight khan if khan fights vargas first,so ive gone for manny.

supremeboxingskills

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeboxingskills Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:Colonial has probably picked the right fights.

Physically Mayweather seemed OK against Ortiz at 164lbs, so 168 Alvarez shouldn't be a problem due to size. He's inactive too (in the ring) so Mayweather might look at that.

Martinez is a similar size but I think Mayweather would see it as too much of a risk.

Khan looks likely for the future but would probably need to test the water at 147 after Peterson so I'll go Alvarez.

it makes me laugh when ppl say "but I think Mayweather would see it as too much of a risk"

why would he?is martinez techically a better boxer than floyd?does he have a better defense?is he a better counter boxer?
what does martinez do that would make floyd think martinez can beat him?

supremeboxingskills

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

I would also like to think Pacquiao would be next also but it was the sitaution with Mosely and Marquez before. Coming off an extended lay off for a supposed warm up bout with a view to fighting Pacquiao only to dissappear again.

Ortiz wont have given him the neccessary round or challenge either and I also dont think Ortiz displayed enough to make a rematch sell regardless of the controversial outcome.

There is only so many times Mayweather can reappear and vanish without taking on Pacquaio before I start to feel that maybe he just doesnt want the fight and the two are content to to circle each other. The fight should probably have happened two years ago if both guys wanted to capitalise on the explosion of interest that has waned to some extent and despite the efforts of some on this site and others to continue to build up "the many returns of Mayweather" as the sports event of the year my interest has been dropping off bit by bit in the inexplicable abscence of the fight everyone wants to see.

The pattern seems to be developing whereby wheneve Mayweather is well into one his breaks and supposedly out of love with the sport or tackling legal issues he seems happy to rekindle the prospects of a Pacquiao fight and snipe through the media (usually when Pacquaio has signed up for an opponent). Suddenly he signs up for a "tune up" fight and everyone thinks surely this inneviteable will hapen only for the whole thing to go on ice once Mayweather has made his money and the tune up is over. Cant help get the feeling that he is starting to take us for a ride in this regard. I also think think if he genuinely was 100% confident that Pacquiao carried as small a threat and was as irrelevant as Mayweather insists then the whole drug testing would not be as big an issue and to some degree I am beginning to get suspicious that Pacquaio unsettles him at some level however small. Its just starting to look to me like he doesnt really want this fight. The next couple of months should reveal more of course but I think if we see Mayweather take another extended break then it will all but confirm the fight is dead to me as I cant see him taking on Pacquaio in another 18-24 months and with such liited options out there I remain unsure of how long Pacquiao will continue to treat boxing as his primary concern.

Last edited by Colonial Lion on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:10 pm

supremeboxingskills wrote:

it makes me laugh when ppl say "but I think Mayweather would see it as too much of a risk"

why would he?is martinez techically a better boxer than floyd?does he have a better defense?is he a better counter boxer?

Come back when the fight is signed and gloat to me. It makes money, Martinez wants it and it could be at whatever weight he wants for a new Middleweight title.

He can punch, has speed, is southpaw and can vary his tactics.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Martinez is fast, technically sound, supremely athletic, tough, and a southpaw.. No, he's not as good as Mayweather, but throw in the fact he's not far behind and would outweigh him by 20lbs plus and I rather doubt Floyd would risk it.

C'mon, Valuev is an awful fighter, but I'd pick him to beat Floyd.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Bob wrote:

Martinez is fast, technically sound, supremely athletic, tough, and a southpaw.. No, he's not as good as Mayweather, but throw in the fact he's not far behind and would outweigh him by 20lbs plus and I rather doubt Floyd would risk it.

Bingo.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bingo.

NO WINDY. THIS IS THE BOXING SITE. PULL THE ORANGE CORD IN THE BATHROOM IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING THE RIGHT WEBSITE!

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Bob wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bingo.

NO WINDY. THIS IS THE BOXING SITE. PULL THE ORANGE CORD IN THE BATHROOM IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING THE RIGHT WEBSITE!

Oops !

That's what I get when my community help takes the day off.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Couldn't resist Windy. I'm going to hell anyway, according to people who meet me.

Back to topic, I have no idea who Floydy will fight next. I didn't see his last few opponents coming.

Surely the question is whether Manny will fight Ortiz after Marquez?

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Had me laughing, Bob, as per usual.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:21 pm

i think the only fight that makes sense for mayweather is pacquiao, and visa versa. khan would be a good fight but think he may want another fight or two first. bradley isnt in the picture and ortiz never looked that threatening, alvarez would be a good fight, as would martinez but not sure if floyd would want to fight guys that heavy, there both tough and durable.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:I would also like to think Pacquiao would be next also but it was the sitaution with Mosely and Marquez before. Coming off an extended lay off for a supposed warm up bout with a view to fighting Pacquiao only to dissappear again.

Ortiz wont have given him the neccessary round or challenge either and I also dont think Ortiz displayed enough to make a rematch sell regardless of the controversial outcome.

There is only so many times Mayweather can reappear and vanish without taking on Pacquaio before I start to feel that maybe he just doesnt want the fight and the two are content to to circle each other. The fight should probably have happened two years ago if both guys wanted to capitalise on the explosion of interest that has waned to some extent and despite the efforts of some on this site and others to continue to build up "the many returns of Mayweather" as the sports event of the year my interest has been dropping off bit by bit in the inexplicable abscence of the fight everyone wants to see.

The pattern seems to be developing whereby wheneve Mayweather is well into one his breaks and supposedly out of love with the sport or tackling legal issues he seems happy to rekindle the prospects of a Pacquiao fight and snipe through the media (usually when Pacquaio has signed up for an opponent). Suddenly he signs up for a "tune up" fight and everyone thinks surely this inneviteable will hapen only for the whole thing to go on ice once Mayweather has made his money and the tune up is over. Cant help get the feeling that he is starting to take us for a ride in this regard. I also think think if he genuinely was 100% confident that Pacquiao carried as small a threat and was as irrelevant as Mayweather insists then the whole drug testing would not be as big an issue and to some degree I am beginning to get suspicious that Pacquaio unsettles him at some level however small. Its just starting to look to me like he doesnt really want this fight. The next couple of months should reveal more of course but I think if we see Mayweather take another extended break then it will all but confirm the fight is dead to me as I cant see him taking on Pacquaio in another 18-24 months and with such liited options out there I remain unsure of how long Pacquiao will continue to treat boxing as his primary concern.

Mate Mayweather has nothing to be scared of from Pacquaio. They are both quality but Mayweather has the more skilled of the two. Lets be honest if Pacquaio agreed to do the tests the fight would have happened by now cant see why Mayweather would duck him we also know that Mayweather loves money and he would make the most from a fight with Pacquaio. Imo Mayweather wants this fight to happen it sounds like he does not think Pacquaio is on his level.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Waingro wrote:
Colonial Lion wrote:I would also like to think Pacquiao would be next also but it was the sitaution with Mosely and Marquez before. Coming off an extended lay off for a supposed warm up bout with a view to fighting Pacquiao only to dissappear again.

Mate Mayweather has nothing to be scared of from Pacquaio. They are both quality but Mayweather has the more skilled of the two. Lets be honest if Pacquaio agreed to do the tests the fight would have happened by now cant see why Mayweather would duck him we also know that Mayweather loves money and he would make the most from a fight with Pacquaio. Imo Mayweather wants this fight to happen it sounds like he does not think Pacquaio is on his level.

I will have to disagree with you to some extent there Waingro. For every argument obliging Pacquiao to take the tests, there is one obliging Mayweather to drop the demands. So the issue is not a black and white one as far as I can see.

The timing of Mayweathers climb to the top of his moral high ground has been almost as suspicious as Pacquaios refusal to take the tests. In the past Mayweather has been willing to concede demands when the perceived threat level is not so great - he gave up weight, purse, ring and glove size etc to De la Hoya for instance and didnt dare impose additional drug testing stipulations. It begs the question if Mayweather is so supremelly confident of beating Pacquiao then why are the demands there? He insists hes seen nothing in Pacquaio performances to worry him and doesnt need him so one could only assume he thinks he would beat him whether he was on something or not.

Increasingly so, it has seemed to me that Mayweather is something of a fragile and unbalanced individual who defines himself by his status, wealth, percieved ability asnd so on. I think he really fears losing and the potential damage to his reputation and ego. Pacquaio comes across as someone who is much more happy and at peace with himself and mentally more relaxed. I dont think he defines himself or has the same pressure on himself that Mayweather does. I dont think his ego is as forceful or fragile and having lost before he doesnt have that unbeaten tag to defend. I would not go as far as saying Mayweather is scared of Pacquiao but I do think something about him makes him uncomfortable.

To me it looks like two guys that are not particularly pushed about making the fight happen. Pacquiao seems happy to leave the decisions to Arum and doesnt seem to have made much of an effort to push Arum into making the fight. Mayweather equally has not been seen to push for the fight. Hopefully the fight can come off next year but the recent pattern suggests this may not be the case and a cynic might say Mayweather will disappear for at least another year while Pacquaio ends up being matched with Ortiz in the near future....

Last edited by Colonial Lion on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I like your outlook on the situation, colonial, it makes a hell of a lot of sense and one that I agree with in its entirety.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Mixture of blind optimism and the lack of Gavin Rees has forced me to pick Manny.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Fists, how do I get a PM to Hob if my PM's have been banned.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Fixed it LJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I will have to disagree with you to some extent there Waingro. For every argument obliging Pacquiao to take the tests, there is one obliging Mayweather to drop the demands. So the issue is not a black and white one as far as I can see.

The timing of Mayweathers climb to the top of his moral high ground has been almost as suspicious as Pacquaios refusal to take the tests. In the past Mayweather has been willing to concede demands when the perceived threat level is not so great - he gave up weight, purse, ring and glove size etc to De la Hoya for instance and didnt dare impose additional drug testing stipulations. It begs the question if Mayweather is so supremelly confident of beating Pacquiao then why are the demands there? He insists hes seen nothing in Pacquaio performances to worry him and doesnt need him so one could only assume he thinks he would beat him whether he was on something or not.

Increasingly so, it has seemed to me that Mayweather is something of a fragile and unbalanced individual who defines himself by his status, wealth, percieved ability asnd so on. I think he really fears losing and the potential damage to his reputation and ego. Pacquaio comes across as someone who is much more happy and at peace with himself and mentally more relaxed. I dont think he defines himself or has the same pressure on himself that Mayweather does. I dont think his ego is as forceful or fragile and having lost before he doesnt have that unbeaten tag to defend. I would not go as far as saying Mayweather is scared of Pacquiao but I do think something about him makes him uncomfortable.

To me it looks like two guys that are not particularly pushed about making the fight happen. Pacquiao seems happy to leave the decisions to Arum and doesnt seem to have made much of an effort to push Arum into making the fight. Mayweather equally has not been seen to push for the fight. Hopefully the fight can come off next year but the recent pattern suggests this may not be the case and a cynic might say Mayweather will disappear for at least another year while Pacquaio ends up being matched with Ortiz in the near future....

I dont think that makes to much sense tbh mate but if that is what you think then fair enough.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 pm

obviously pacquaio is the main fight but that will be big anytime, i say martinez next and winner of that faces manny

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I like your outlook on the situation, colonial, it makes a hell of a lot of sense and one that I agree with in its entirety.

I'll second that, great posts Colonial.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm

I think Mayweather is getting so tired of being asked when will he fight Manny he might do it out of frustration and pure anger as he realises people won't stop asking for the fight and if he retires without it people will constantly question why.

The fight with his dad in the build up to the Ortiz fight, the more aggressive nature of his performances against Mosley and especially Ortiz, the Larry Merchant interview. All these things lead me to think he might just ditch the drug test demands and get the fight on. After 3 years of being asked the same question he just seems ready to snap and a bit more edgy than usual, look at his face as he drops Ortiz. Also I wouldn't be shocked if more legal trouble comes his way in the next few months.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:30 am

id like to see khan if the manny fight doesnt come off.

and martinez is someone who could trouble him, but i see mayweather winning. love to see it though.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 pm

''I don't see a Cotto bout due to Cotto now being damaged goods so to speak''

In the States, Cotto has sold more tickets at Madison Square than any other fighter in the history of the sport. He has a huge following there.

Not to mention his PPV numbers in Puerto Rico are outstanding. He's done over 100,000 buys in PR alone - something Tito Trinidad didn't do!

So quit the nonsense that Alvarez is an option because of what he 'brings to the table'.

Styles make fights and Miguel Cotto would give Floyd Mayweather a good fight.

Cotto isn't a tiny Dinamita Marquez, or a boy in Ortiz, or a relative nobody in Hatton, the Boricua would give him a good fight.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:35 pm

And let's be real, Cotto has lost to (1) a convicted cheater, and (2) a suspected cheater. How is Manny Pacquiao fighting the way he is now when a few years ago he was losing and tiring in the later rounds? Now he looks superhuman. Mayweather isn't stupid!

And we know the story with Margacheato. How anyone can give a cheat the benefit of the doubt is truly beyond me.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Waingro wrote:
Colonial Lion wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I dont think that makes to much sense tbh mate but if that is what you think then fair enough.

Which bit dont you think makes sense Waingro? Understand I am not saying Mayweather is "scared" of Pacquaio but I do think his constant pretence that Pacquaio is not a big deal and would be an easy nights work is really disguising a reality hat Mayweaher knows full well that Pacquaio is a dangerous oponent and far more dangerous than any he has faced in the last number of years. If he was as straightforward as ayweather would like us to belive this fight would have happened years ago given the money on ofer. The drug testing issues and Mayweathers attitude towards Pacquaio indicate to me that something about Pacquaio and his recent succes has made Mayweather uncomfortable on some leve. The facts he seems suspicious that Pacquaio may not be clean says it all for me.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:And let's be real, Cotto has lost to (1) a convicted cheater, and (2) a suspected cheater. How is Manny Pacquiao fighting the way he is now when a few years ago he was losing and tiring in the later rounds? Now he looks superhuman. Mayweather isn't stupid!

And we know the story with Margacheato. How anyone can give a cheat the benefit of the doubt is truly beyond me.

you can suspect all you want, but until manny is proved to be a cheat he has simply come on leaps and bounds because of his relationship with roach and his conditioning coach. cotto was embarrased by manny, he was running away for the last few rounds just trying to make it to the bell.

cotto is great, but mayweather would handle him with ease.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:16 am

Clutching at straws here maybe but Pacquiao still has to beat Marquez who has run him close twice if not beat him if the majority of peoples opinions are to be agreed with. What happens if he manages to pull off a shock and beat Pacquiao? Unlikely I know but not out of the question...

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:22 pm

As I stopped following the Mayweather v Pacquiao saga it would be great if someone could explain to me why Floyd is saying he does not need to fight Pacquiao.

Do the Mayweather family still see Pacquiao as the Bogey Man blessed with Voodoo charms. Very superstitious are the Mayweathers.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 pm

From what I can gather Strongy because Manny lost a fight in 1847 Floyd doesn't need him, hope that clears things up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Corleone187 Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I think he should retire.
Don Corleone187
Don Corleone187

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down