The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

+24
Roller_Coaster
Mind the windows Tino.
Shot 21 LCFC
The Special Juan
VDT
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
superflyweight
beninho
The Boss
bhb001
kingjohn7
Hero
Crimey
JuliusHMarx
Breadvan
ChequeredJersey
seanmichaels
Kenny
The Womble
Il Gialloblu
Rowley
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
sodhat
28 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Select your two favourites...

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 102

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Empty Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Three rounds to go and it's a bit of a breakaway at the top with Hero and Adam fighting it out. The rest of us are playing for pride. Galted has missed that boat and he's playing more to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Union.

This round features songs that opened their respective bands albums, and it's your duty to pick your favourite TWO from the hodge-podge of classics and not-so-classics.

The next round, round 9, for the numerically challenged, will be songs featured on a film soundtrack. However, that's a pretty wide category, so I'm narrowing it down to films from the 80s because we will be guaranteed to get some hideous selections out of that. The songs have to be verifiably on the soundtrack too - not just a song that featured for a little bit in a rubbish scene with Molly Ringwald.

I also offer an apology to Mysti who's choices were both taken and he's now gone on holiday so he can't select another one.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

If "Scottish miserabilism" includes Mogwai then I'm in!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by Galted Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

sodhat wrote: The rest of us are playing for pride. Galted has missed that boat and he's playing more to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Union.

Laugh

Glad I didn't see that earlier, might just have pushed me over the edge.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

Mogwai superfly, our bromance just gets stronger by the minute. If you express any kind of love for the super furries you may just become my favourite poster since Windy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:02 pm

My first ever concert was the SFAs!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:04 pm

Nice Hero, could almost overlook you being a wrestling fan. There is a thread in first gigs. Mine was New Order supported by the Mondays

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

Rowley wrote:Mogwai superfly, our bromance just gets stronger by the minute. If you express any kind of love for the super furries you may just become my favourite poster since Windy

Alas no, Windy retains top spot.  Never got into the Super Furries despite having a couple of flat mates at University who loved them.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

Oh well super, should not have asked it was all going so well until I pushed my luck. And don’t flatter yourself mate, windy’s position as number one was never under threat, the best you could ever have hoped for was second to him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:38 pm

Rowley wrote:Oh well super, should not have asked it was all going so well until I pushed my luck. And don’t flatter yourself mate, windy’s position as number one was never under threat, the best you could ever have hoped for was second to him.

did you and gordy fall out?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

I did ban him Sean, suspect he went off me a bit after that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:49 pm

Rowley wrote:Nice Hero, could almost overlook you being a wrestling fan. There is a thread in first gigs. Mine was New Order supported by the Mondays

I never saw the Monday's in their heyday but did go to the reunion last year only to have a full cup of warm urine thrown on me which put quite the dampener on the event.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

I also went to the reunion last year. To be honest I only go and see the Monday’s out of nostalgia as they were always a bit of a hit and miss affair live with probably more misses than hits. However as I managed to remain unmolested by urine and the Carpets were supporting them I had a good enough evening.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

Hero wrote:
Rowley wrote:Nice Hero, could almost overlook you being a wrestling fan. There is a thread in first gigs. Mine was New Order supported by the Mondays

I never saw the Monday's in their heyday but did go to the reunion last year only to have a full cup of warm urine thrown on me which put quite the dampener on the event.

Literally.

You can't go to a gig these days without getting someone elses urine on you. It's a sad fact. Just don't look up with your mouth open.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

Rowley wrote:I also went to the reunion last year. To be honest I only go and see the Monday’s out of nostalgia as they were always a bit of a hit and miss affair live with probably more misses than hits. However as I managed to remain unmolested by urine and the Carpets were supporting them I had a good enough evening.

The Carpets were the highlights for me, I was the first of the night to get a Boon Army chant going too which I was chuffed with.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

Hero wrote:My first ever concert was the SFAs!

Mine was Muse supported by Coldplay

Last edited by VDT on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Mine was Carlos Santana, at least as far as I can remember
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

First gig was T in the Park in 1996 - line up was brilliant.  Prodigy, Pulp, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, Foo Fighters (when they were good - first album is excellent), Radiohead, Cocteau Twins. 

First non-festival gig was either Radiohead or the Charlatans.  Don't know who was supporting either of them as the sound didn't carry to the pub I was drinking in half a mile away.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

I'll pathetically announce I haven't been to a music gig because (and feel free to chuckle) I can't stand loud noise.  I stare at my neighbour with loathing hatred when he puts his lawnmower on.

I'm not sure that second sentence makes grammatical sense but you get my idea.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I'll pathetically announce I haven't been to a music gig because (and feel free to chuckle) I can't stand loud noise.  I stare at my neighbour with loathing hatred when he puts his lawnmower on.

I'm not sure that second sentence makes grammatical sense but you get my idea.

What about someone like Damien Rice or Regina Spektor? They aren't noisy
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

Is Damien Rice still about? I'll go along, hear Cannonball and leave. Could probably add David Gray to the list too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:41 pm

He hasn't produced anything new in a few years. I don't know where he has gone Sad

9 is, if anything, an even better album than O
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

"In May 2013, Rice told the audience at the South Korea Seoul Jazz Festival 2013 that he is working on a new album" Very Happy
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:56 pm

Best news I've heard all day!! Yahoo
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm

The best song from that list is Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:44 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:The best song from that list is Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Trollollllooollllooollll. It's a poor excuse for 'music'. Other Nirvana songs maybe outstanding, but SLTS is atrocious.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:15 am

I just realised that no one plumped for Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which has to be the most iconic start for an album in history. It's the obvious ones we over look!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

No Slipknot fans then raspberry
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

VDT wrote:No Slipknot fans then raspberry

Restores your faith in the place doesn't it

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

sodhat, what is your problem with me?

This is second time I have given you a little rundown on my song and both times you haven't posted it.  This could be the difference between glory and no-where.

You really can be a hurtful individual sometimes.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

Just like Wonderwall, Paul Anka's swing version of SLTS is much, much better in every conceivable way. It actually becomes a song (and then you realise that the lyrics are utterly nonsensical)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

Who did you nominate Tina? In the absence of any from Union I would have obviously voted for one of yours (had to vote for the Roses obviously irrespective of who nominated it)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:11 am

Rowley wrote:Who did you nominate Tina? In the absence of any from Union I would have obviously voted for one of yours (had to vote for the Roses obviously irrespective of who nominated it)

For the record, I voted for the Roses as well, obviously.

But, my nomination was 1999. Can't be bothered to justify it again, I did all that when I PM'd that useless article sodhat and that got me no-where.

All I will say is don't tell me you won't be humming the opening riffs to yourself when you're sitting on the tram this afternoon as I know that will be a lie.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

I probably won't tina, but had you nominated sign o the times you would not be needing to be grovelling for my vote as you may well have got it anyway. The little mans finest hour in my humble.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:The best song from that list is Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Trollollllooollllooollll. It's a poor excuse for 'music'. Other Nirvana songs maybe outstanding, but SLTS is atrocious.

No trolling lol. Im not really a Nirvana fan. Smells Like Teen Spirit is the only one of theirs I like, its an awesome song.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:34 am

See I am a Nirvana fan, and can't stand it. Weird how these things go. Like how many supposed "men" can vote for Rod Stewart Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:43 am

Azzy, have allowed a few Rod digs pass but enough is enough. The man was lead singer in the Faces and for that deserves a little more respect.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:43 am

I'm like that Azzy, I am an Oasis fan but cannot stand Wonderwall which most non-fans see as their best song. It's an awful record.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:01 am

Im not an Oasis fan. While Wonerwall is ok, the one of theirs I really like is Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

Clearly I'm too old for this section of 606v2. Even Hero and Rowley are mere callow youths to me, while sodhat and Shot merely serve to highlight my lack of knowledge of what today's 'hepcats' and 'hipsters' follow on the modern music scene.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:29 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Clearly I'm too old for this section of 606v2. Even Hero and Rowley are mere callow youths to me, while sodhat and Shot merely serve to highlight my lack of knowledge of what today's 'hepcats' and 'hipsters' follow on the modern music scene.

I didn't even know what a hipster was until 3 weeks ago!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

Hipster - isn't that a smoothie in one of the burger chains repertoires?

Hepcat on the other hand...

Nope - totally lost!

Yours also cracking on a bit

RC

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:sodhat, what is your problem with me?

This is second time I have given you a little rundown on my song and both times you haven't posted it.  This could be the difference between glory and no-where.

You really can be a hurtful individual sometimes.

It's a subconscious thing where I try to sabotage you and your chances of winning this; although they were thin to begin with.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

Wiki - In 1939, the word hepster was used by Cab Calloway in the title of his Hepster's Dictionary, which defines hep cat as "a guy who knows all the answers, understands jive".

OK, I'm not that old

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

I've always thought people hate songs like Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit because they became popular among "non-fans" and it felt a bit galling that "real fans" follow this band so closely before they are huge and suddenly everyone is a fan. Sort of like a resentment thing. Not really a criticism either, but I like both songs just fine as well as both bands wider work.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

sodhat wrote:

It's a subconscious thing where I try to sabotage you and your chances of winning this; although they were thin to begin with.

Well, I am not doing it again. Stuff ya.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

sodhat wrote:I've always thought people hate songs like Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit because they became popular among "non-fans" and it felt a bit galling that "real fans" follow this band so closely before they are huge and suddenly everyone is a fan. Sort of like a resentment thing. Not really a criticism either, but I like both songs just fine as well as both bands wider work.

My thoughts exactly. It's "cool" to dislike those songs.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

I think for me as a fan of both those bands in question it's more when they say on the radio they'll be playing Nirvana shortly and you know 9 times out of 10 it'll be Smells Like Teen Spirit that'll come on. Play Polly, Lithium, R**e me, In Bloom etc just for a change.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

Just me who chose Slipknot then, although can that be classed as an album opener when it's got that stupid little (515) track before it?

Also went with Welcome to the Jungle because it is F'ing incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:03 pm

Yeah Iowa is an album of 2 halves - 1st half is beast, 2nd half sounds like they ran out of ideas!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:06 pm

I don't resent people for liking Wonderwall, if they want to like it that's their business. Personally I think the song is guff and always have, ever since it was released. It is poorly written and poorly sung. apart from Hey Now it is the weakest song on WTSMG.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:14 pm

Pet hate was going to house parties where someone pulled a guitar out and led a group rendition of Wonderwall. Ruined the song for me.

Some Might Say best track of the album even though it is a rip off of Debaser by The Pixies

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next