The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

+24
Roller_Coaster
Mind the windows Tino.
Shot 21 LCFC
The Special Juan
VDT
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
superflyweight
beninho
The Boss
bhb001
kingjohn7
Hero
Crimey
JuliusHMarx
Breadvan
ChequeredJersey
seanmichaels
Kenny
The Womble
Il Gialloblu
Rowley
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
sodhat
28 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Select your two favourites...

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 19 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 102

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Empty Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 9:53

Three rounds to go and it's a bit of a breakaway at the top with Hero and Adam fighting it out. The rest of us are playing for pride. Galted has missed that boat and he's playing more to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Union.

This round features songs that opened their respective bands albums, and it's your duty to pick your favourite TWO from the hodge-podge of classics and not-so-classics.

The next round, round 9, for the numerically challenged, will be songs featured on a film soundtrack. However, that's a pretty wide category, so I'm narrowing it down to films from the 80s because we will be guaranteed to get some hideous selections out of that. The songs have to be verifiably on the soundtrack too - not just a song that featured for a little bit in a rubbish scene with Molly Ringwald.

I also offer an apology to Mysti who's choices were both taken and he's now gone on holiday so he can't select another one.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers Empty Re: Music Cup Round 8 - Album Openers

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 9:59

I've gone for Welcome to the Jungle because it's such an amazing statement of intent to kick off an album. It's particularly good because the intro to the track that introduces the album is superb. 

I've also gone for one that has shocked me - "Jenny was a Friend of Mine". I hate the Killers. But Jenny was a Friend into Somebody Told Me was such a demonstration of how good the band could have been, before it all turns into a shambles roundabout "Indie Rock and Roll" through to wherever they are in their career now (playing Wembley Stadium on Saturday I believe. Some shambles Laugh

I've picked it because it's the only time I can remember falling in and out of love with a new band within one album.

RHCP would usually be a surefire vote from me, but if you are picking an album opener from them it surely has to be Power of the Equality?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 10:04

Voted for the Roses as they are my favourite band ever and their debut is far and away my favourite album ever so that was something of a no brainer.

Also voted for the House of Love Christine. Fine song from a vastly under rated band and is nice to see there is a fellow fan around here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 10:24

I voted for Welcome to the Jungle - as MtotheC said, an incredible way to open an album - and also for By the Way, because although I hate the Chillies, that song is a beast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 10:42

I've voted the same as rowley because I think he's the best.

But seriously, I'd never heard of this Christine song so just had a look on youtube and I really like it. So cheers to whoever picked it. OK The quality allied to the leftfield choice makes it worthy of my vote.

And I Wanna Be Adored because it is just a great opening to an album and the second best song on the list, only behind mine (which is currently on 0 votes).
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 10:43

I voted for Welcome To The Jungle and I Wanna Be Adored.

As previously mention WTTJ is a cracking way to open an album and IWBA is just such a great song. I nearly voted for Van Morrison as I absolutely love Bright Side Of The Road but the other 2 just edged it.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 11:18

sent my round 9 picks in thumbsup
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 11:34

Round 9 - Kenny Loggins 'Playing with the Boys' (To Gun)

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 11:38

There are loads of good options for Round 9! Just listened to the one's I hadn't heard, found out that I had heard the Twilight Sad song and just didn't know what it was called and I love it! Went for it and G 'n' R
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 11:50

Voted for Oasis. After the dross of 1993's music, hadaway, gabrielle etc, Def maybe was just brilliant and rock n roll star a superb opener. Like getting smacked round the face with a wet fish...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 11:58

sodhat, Molly Ringwald didn't do any rubbish scenes boxing

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:10

Went for 'Jenny was a friend of mine' and 'By the Way', two of my favourite songs from two of my favourite bands. 

Electric Demon wrote:before it all turns into a shambles roundabout "Indie Rock and Roll" 

Bit harsh to judge them on that song considering Brendan Flowers has said he hates it, that it's the worst song he's ever written and that it failed as it was supposed to be ironic but nobody got it. Laugh

I actually think Battle Born, their most recent album, is probably their best.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:14

I was undecided on my choice for this round, The Pixies 'Debaser' was a close 2nd.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Crimey wrote:Went for 'Jenny was a friend of mine' and 'By the Way', two of my favourite songs from two of my favourite bands. 

Electric Demon wrote:before it all turns into a shambles roundabout "Indie Rock and Roll" 

Bit harsh to judge them on that song considering Brendan Flowers has said he hates it, that it's the worst song he's ever written and that it failed as it was supposed to be ironic but nobody got it. Laugh

But Flesh and Bone or Losing Touch aren't as iconic or quite as good an opener as Jenny, though. Also, have you heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nePC5itss
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Nearly voted "Rock 'n' Roll Star" and "Welcome to the Jungle", I do feel sorry for "Smells like Teen Spirit" as it is a good song that has become overrated to the extent that people just don't seem to like it any more. I'm not a massive fan of Nirvana, I think Foo Fighters are much better, but "Smells like Teen Spirit" is a good song.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:18

sodhat or anyone else know how long it will be until round 10 picks will need doing ?

only ask as might not be about much in the next few days as we are in the process of selling our house
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:18

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Crimey wrote:Went for 'Jenny was a friend of mine' and 'By the Way', two of my favourite songs from two of my favourite bands. 

But Flesh and Bone or Losing Touch aren't as iconic or quite as good an opener as Jenny, though. Also, have you heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nePC5itss

I haven't heard that, listening now.

I don't think they're ever going to be as iconic. Hot Fuss was their opening album and is their most well known, it's also ten years old and when The Killers were much more popular. Musically I prefer both of those songs to Jenny.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:21

I'm not judging them on that song, I'm just saying that for me personally they've never done anything that matches that first half an album that ended with that song. That was an outstanding half album. If he thinks it was so bad, he shouldn't have put it on the record.
As I said in my post - they are playing Wembley on the weekend - so I'm clearly in the minority
On the other hand, my parents are going to it. So....

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:23

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch wrote:

I'm not judging them on that song, I'm just saying that for me personally they've never done anything that matches that first half an album that ended with that song. That was an outstanding half album. If he thinks it was so bad, he shouldn't have put it on the record.
As I said in my post - they are playing Wembley on the weekend - so I'm clearly in the minority
On the other hand, my parents are going to it. So....

The majority are not always right. However, in this case we just are Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:25

The worst thing is, it was only the UK and Australia (according to wiki) that got Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll on the album. Everyone else got Change Your Mind as track 8 instead, which I reckon is one of their best songs from any album. They really should have kept it on there for all countries.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:25

I saw the Killers about 4 months before they blew up (once a hipster, always a hipster) and they were goddam awful, timings all out, Brandon's vocals made Liam Gallagher sound like he'd been trained. All in all one of the worst performances I've ever seen and I've seen Chicks on Speed.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:26

By the Way and Bright Side of the Road

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:28

See, Hero, when I saw them they were bang on, Flowers was as good a frontman as I've ever seen
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:28

Hero wrote:I saw the Killers about 4 months before they blew up (once a hipster, always a hipster) and they were goddam awful, timings all out, Brandon's vocals made Liam Gallagher sound like he'd been trained. All in all one of the worst performances I've ever seen and I've seen Chicks on Speed.

I saw The Killers support U2 and your description is spot-on. I was thouroughly unimpressed. The drummer was all over the place - anywhere but on beat. Though this was still at the Hot Fuss stage, I'm sure (I would hope) that they have improved since.

And I have also seen Chicks on Speed!

They were bad. But they weren't Chicks on Speed bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:33

Yeah that's perhaps a tad harsh as I still wake in cold sweats over that Chicks on Speed performance, how Kiedis had the audacity to have the hump over us booing it is beyond me.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:35

You missed out Thunder Road from Springsteen Born to Run. Superb opener setting the tone for the whole album

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:36

Yeah Change your mind is one of Killers' best, so it's a shame it was taken off the album, I always think of Change your mind as being in that album, I didn't even realise Indie Rock and Roll was apart of it here.

The Killers have been the best band I've seen live, which obviously isn't compared to a lot of others, but I have seen the likes of Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Noel Gallagher and The Killers were easily better than them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:37

I think they have probably improved though, I saw them just before Sam's Town came out
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:38

I've seen Foos 3 times now and they never fail to amaze me on how much they just love to perform, they just always seem to make you feel that the concert you're attending is really special for them too despite they've already probably played at 200 venues across the world and Milton Keynes is probably not the venue they were most looking forward to coming to.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:40

Worst Support Acts;

1) Chicks on Speed - Enough Said

2) Ian Brown - supporting the Manics in Cardiff. Mumbled through an entire performance. Got peed off because someone shouted "just sing FEAR then F*** off". Got peed off because he got a somehow surprisingly bad bad reaction to saying "you're all c**** who are a disgrace to your country" based on one person shouting what we all admittedly truly felt. Got peed off at having a glowstick thrown at him and spat into the crowd. Got peed off at having a bottle thrown at him by the section of the crowd he spat at. Left the stage after doing a bit of "I'll take you all on" monkey walking/staring - had to wait 2 hours for the Manics Laugh 

3) The Killers - drummer couldn't drum

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:40

Hero wrote:I've seen Foos 3 times now and they never fail to amaze me on how much they just love to perform, they just always seem to make you feel that the concert you're attending is really special for them too despite they've already probably played at 200 venues across the world and Milton Keynes is probably not the venue they were most looking forward to coming to.

Yeah Foos were great, but The Killers were much better when I saw them last year.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:44

That's some accolade. Again, agreed with Macc on how much the Foos seem to enjoy it. It was an epic gig as well I seem to recall when they played Wembley.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 12:45

Hero wrote:I've seen Foos 3 times now and they never fail to amaze me on how much they just love to perform, they just always seem to make you feel that the concert you're attending is really special for them too despite they've already probably played at 200 venues across the world and Milton Keynes is probably not the venue they were most looking forward to coming to.

They were great at Milton Keynes, loved the acoustic set
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:01

I'd just like to point out that Thunder Road IS the best opener of all time but I'd picked it for an earlier round so didn't wanna repeat a choice. Surprised no one went with Gimme Shelter. 
bhb001 wrote:You missed out Thunder Road from Springsteen Born to Run. Superb opener setting the tone for the whole album

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:05

The one thing I don't like about Foo Fighters it their tendency to mess with songs when they play them live, so basically the song never ends. I love them, but it is a bit gutting when you're looking forward to your favourite song and they change it a bit.

One of the best thing about The Killers was them doing a shortened version of Don't Look Back in Anger.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:11

Crimey wrote:The one thing I don't like about Foo Fighters it their tendency to mess with songs when they play them live, so basically the song never ends. I love them, but it is a bit gutting when you're looking forward to your favourite song and they change it a bit.

One of the best thing about The Killers was them doing a shortened version of Don't Look Back in Anger.

The Stone Roses were really bad for that when I saw them last year. They are massively talented instrumentalists, but they were going off on a few 11 minute jazz odysseys.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:12

Good call on Thunder Road boss, would potentially have got my vote was it an option. If I was picking a Stones opener though would have to be Rocks Off which is an absolute belter and sets the tone for the rest of the album, which is the Stones best for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:13

Bit harsh Sodhat, the only ones that really went on were Fools Gold and Resurection and given the full versions of those are 9.53 and 8.15 respectively they were never likely to be short songs live.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:14

Only 3 votes for Nirvana, madness, but then this may just be my age. Getting into music early 90's and loving Nirvana along with many others. 

The killers got a vote aswell, saw them at the O2 and they where bang on. 

No REM, which is a shame!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:14

That's one of my favourite bits about gigs. 

You'd hate the Chili peppers live in that case - they go into 10 minute breakdowns of some songs. Completely deconstruct them into individual parts and then build them back up into a crescendo again. I feel like you're seeing the artist at work when they do that

Though I agree that you shouldn't really meddle with the classics - get the audience singing away and punching the air. Both parts are great in moderation... IF they are good musicians. There is nowt worse than seeing crap bands trying to do the pretentious noodling and breakdowns. They just look stupid

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:15

It wasn't just those two for me, but then it was a festival set so perhaps they didn't care about getting loads of songs in. It isn't really a massive criticism because I thought they were great. The extended musical breaks probably worked better in the 90s when everyone was on acid.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:18

Saw them at Heaton Park and from what I remember not too many were of excessive length. However having waited 20+ years to see them live again I was probably a bit overwhelmed to have noticed.

Mto I went to see the Chills some years ago and their noodling drove me insane. When it comes to drum solos or bass solos I am firmly of the opinion that one is one too many. Suffice to say the gig was not one I enjoyed. We get it you’re good musicians but any chance you can get some of the songs down to less than 20 minutes in length

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:26

Couple of noticeable absentees:

"Moving on Up" from Screamadelica

"Safe from Harm" from Blue Lines.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:33

Always hated Jenny was a Friend of Mine but loved that album.

I originally went with I Wanna Be Adored but I have got to go change that now I've seen About a Girl on there, especially as its the Unplugged version.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:36

Superfly, you are a man of fine tastes when it comes to music matters.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:44

beninho wrote:

No REM, which is a shame!

Was tempted to go for REM but apart from What's the Frequency, Kenneth? the opening songs tend to be a bit weak compared to others on the album (in particular Drive, Pop Song 89 & Radio Song were quite far removed from what was to follow - each is ok in its own right but serves more as an introduction to the rest of the album than being a highlight of the album).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:52

Rowley wrote:Superfly, you are a man of fine tastes when it comes to music matters.

Thank you good sir.  My misgivings about the Stone Roses reunion notwithstanding, I share your enthusiasm for I Wanna Be Adored - great song from a great album. 

I was going to suggest the Prelude to Bach's Cello Concerto or the the first movement from Elgar's Cello Concerto in e-minor (as performed by Jacqueline Du Pre) but I see that Slipknot have the classical genre sown up.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 13:59

I try to ignore your Roses reunion related misgivings. Nobody can be perfect and I already dislike enough people on here to let this ruin what could be a beautiful friendship

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 14:07

superflyweight wrote:
Rowley wrote:Superfly, you are a man of fine tastes when it comes to music matters.

Thank you good sir.  My misgivings about the Stone Roses reunion notwithstanding, I share your enthusiasm for I Wanna Be Adored - great song from a great album. 

I was going to suggest the Prelude to Bach's Cello Concerto or the the first movement from Elgar's Cello Concerto in e-minor (as performed by Jacqueline Du Pre) but I see that Slipknot have the classical genre sown up.

I went for Tchaikovsky in the Dead Artists round last time out, superfly. Did you vote?

The Twilight Sad are in this round too. Now that's the kind of Scottish miserablism I could picture you listening to.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 14:08

Rowley wrote:I try to ignore your Roses reunion related misgivings. Nobody can be perfect and I already dislike enough people on here to let this ruin what could be a beautiful friendship

Turned down a free ticket (my bro offered to pay) for Finsbury Park. I reckon I'm too old for festival type concerts. On finding out they had to walk through a couple of inches of pi55 soaked mud to get in the place I am glad I made the decision I did.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next