The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?

+12
drive4show
Rossa
oldshanker
Humpyd
Redrage
Mercurio
Doc
theeldestboy
Maverick
Davie
SmithersJones
Noshankingtonite
16 posters

Go down

Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?  Empty Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?

Post by Noshankingtonite Sun 08 May 2011, 10:10 pm

Played (and lost) this afternoon in our Singles Matchplay tournament. I did manage to take it down the 17th, but couldn't win the hole to extend it further. I did take some consolation from the fact that the chap I was competing against won the event 2 years ago, has been a member since the club formed in the 1990s and plays in regular matchplay events. I haven't played this format for at least 14 years, so a bit out of practice. He also hit the pin twice and dropped stone dead (would have gone off green by 10 yards on both occasions). However, it got me to thinking how the different formats shape the way we play and also put pressure on different aspects. If we'd have been scoring this for medal format today I'd have won, because he had a few nightmare holes and I didn't do worse than double bogey. However, although I drove better than him (longer, straighter and more consistent) his chipping and putting were superb. Now if we'd been paired for a medal or stableford this wouldn't have bothered me - but his strength around the greens (he didn't 3-putt once and only missed once from inside 5 feet) really start to get to you, because suddenley you cannot 3-putt at all and that can cause you to tense up and either leave one 5 feet short or twitch one past 5 feet. Even though I lost today, I really enjoyed the match we had and I can see why some pundits assert that matchplay is the 'purest form of the game'. Having said that, I also love medal play and the social element which the stableford format brings - particularly on club or society away days. What are your thoughts and which format interests you the most?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?  Empty Re: Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?

Post by SmithersJones Sun 08 May 2011, 10:39 pm

It used to be matchplay all the way for me - I'd often hole putts when I needed to, and had a real taste for the format. These days, not so much! I used to prefer medal to stableford, but that's reversed lately, mainly because I'm not as good as I used to be! Society days are where I'm at my most competitive nowadays, and I've got one coming up on Wednesday at a course I like, so fingers crossed.

Last edited by SmithersJones on Sun 08 May 2011, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : These days thrice)
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?  Empty Re: Which format brings out the best or worst in your game?

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 6:23 am

I'm a matchplay fan myself and come into that category of people who think it's the purest form of golf.

For me, nothing is better than playing against the person rather than the course. The tactics of knowing when to play safe and when to "go for it" and the times when you know you need to sink a putt (and not worry about the one back if you miss)

Agree with SJ too about medals - I can see why very good players may like them but when you are higher handicap and more prone to the 8s and 9s which can totally kill a round, I prefer Stableford of the medal formats as the most you can lose on a hole is 2 points to your handicap

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 09 May 2011, 7:01 am

Matchplay for me as it really suits my competitive side and desire to win. I like the fact you get to play attack and defend results and you get to punish opponents mistakes

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 09 May 2011, 7:26 am

Recently, i played in a betterball matchplay competition. A team consisted of 4 players playing 2 betterball matches, with the fixture winners determined by the overall result (in the event of 2 1/2s or a win each, it went to a playoff hole).

I absolutely love matchplay, but i love it more in betterball format. Playing as part of a team is a great feeling, relying on others and have them rely on you. Sinking a 10 ft putt for a win and looking at the reaction on your mates face. Finishing up your match and running over to see how your other team did in their match. Celebrating or commiserating with a few beers in the clubhouse.

Love it.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 09 May 2011, 10:23 am

When playing club medals or QC events, it only takes one poor hole to wreck your card. believe me I know and have experience of failing to get cut time after time to the handicap I know I can play to. Playing matchplay however is different as the one hole that normally wrecks your card is quickly forgotten, and you just walk onto the next tee with a smile knowing you'll get that hole back.

Playing the player rather than the course is fun and a different test.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon 09 May 2011, 11:03 am

On Friday, I was three up with 6 to play in the second round of our Summer Singles Matchplay and lost on the 19th (after being one down going down the 18th).

In the previous round, I was 4 up after 11 and all square after 15.

I go into ultra-conservative mode when I get ahead and it's costing me.

I think it was on here that someone said you should play matchplay as if it was strokeplay - I'm starting to believe them.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 09 May 2011, 4:58 pm

I still suffer from some really quite penal shots off the tee, tight courses don't go well with my wild tee shots... so naturally I prefer stableford as I can still get a good score together even if I do have a reload or two... a reload or two that stifles my cards in stroke play.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Mon 09 May 2011, 5:18 pm

Any format which means I don't have to putt!!!

I think the purest form of golf has to be a strokeplay medal. OK it penalises bad shots but isn't that what golf is all about? When you listen to people come in with 42 points with 2 blobs you do wonder what their medal score would be. NR no doubt!!

I think the ability to play well when you have a card is your hand is underestimated. How many people do you know who suffer with medal-itis??

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 09 May 2011, 6:12 pm

Matchplay of any sort for the sheer buzz of trying to beat someone man on man as it were. (🐑 ish look)

But to try and play better, it has to be strokeplay. Concentrates your mind on course management.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 09 May 2011, 7:23 pm

Equally successful or unsuccessful in both all formats Smile

If i could only play one though it would be medal play... 1 man against the course and the elements... there is no greater pleasure than beating a PB and improving.

Beating yourself so to speak Whistle
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 09 May 2011, 7:47 pm

That match last night really made me aware of my shortcomings Doh You just wouldn't get that in stroke-play unless you found yourself in a play-off situation. It does definitely find your weaknesses and mine are most certainly predominantly around the green. I also think (and you may disagree) that the matchplay format gives the cat1 player a better chance of winning than either of the other 2 formats.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 09 May 2011, 8:38 pm

Scratch team matches, not playing for yourself but for your team mates. I love the added pressure, the desire not to let them down.

Sometimes I do though............... Doh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 10 May 2011, 1:20 pm

matchplay - i am an aggressive player who likes to take the odd gamble on the course where appropriate. that said, i often find if i'm having a bad swing day i can scrap out a reasonable score in a medal, whereas in matchplay, if i don't feel comfortable i tend to struggle a bit.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Tue 10 May 2011, 1:35 pm

For me it has to be strokeplay. Not only do you have to contend with your clubs, you have to master the pencil - the most difficult piece of golf equipment.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 10 May 2011, 1:36 pm

It's all golf. Just hit the ball in the hole and whatever you are playing takes care of itself.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 10 May 2011, 1:39 pm

golf would be far worse off if it lost either stroke or matchplay. both great formats for testing the mind.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 10 May 2011, 2:37 pm

Somewhere along the line this thread seems to have lost its point. The OP asked what format brings the best and worst out of your game...

It seems to have evolved into a what is the best format discussion.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 10 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Okay getting this back on track; what brings out the best in my game in the stroke play format, is learning how to map out the course with 'green light' and 'red light' holes to try and minimise double bogeys (or worse mad ). Learning to play the mediocre holes that bit better, by adjusting to the prevailing conditions on the day (stiff breeze, dry slopy fairways being the biggest challenge right now) to try and beat my handicap and therefore win stuff. What brings out the worst in my game in stroke play is dwelling on the snowman you shot on the last hole, because you played like a complete tw@t. Also focussing on what your playing partners are doing in terms of club selection etc and therfore not sticking to your own game plan. What brings out the best in my game in the matchplay format is making every effort to keep the ball in play so you make the opponent putt out to win the hole every time and you don't gift holes away by short-siding yourself, or hitting oob or 3-putting from less than 30 feet. What brings out the worst in my game is allowing the pressure to get to you around the greens; expecting your opponent to make mistakes; duffing a chip or 3-putting when you should be mentally expecting them to hole everything and chipping and pitching it stone dead.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 12 May 2011, 10:50 am

being honest i love stroke play and not a huge fan of matchplay. I find matchplay is more a response to the guy im playing rather than me against the course. I know others say just play the course but in matchplay its all aboout just beating the guy hence nob an iron off the tee if hes slashed his drive in the trees etc. I dont find that fun Smile

Stroke play is a marathon of concentration and skill - plotting your way around a course and thinking clearly.

When ive said this at my club though the old guard look at me as if im off planet mars or soemthing. To them its all about matchplay and nothing else. These are the guys who prefer stablefords as well though. And i hate stableford games more than matchplay!

Shoot me down then censored

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down