The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Bellew - Hype or Hope?

+10
TRUSSMAN66
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
bhb001
BallchinianMuffwig
Strongback
Steffan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
ShahenshahG
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Tony Bellew - Hype or Hope? Empty Tony Bellew - Hype or Hope?

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Jun 2013, 3:43 pm

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/06/tony-bellew-hype-or-hope.html

by John Hoolan

Tony Bellew is the 30 year old from Liverpool who seems to split opinion among boxing fans, he's a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it.

He has a record of 22 fights, 20 wins (12 KOs), 1 loss and 1 draw. Is ranked the British number 1 by some at light heavy and in the top 5 of the world. Nathan Cleverly inflicted Bellew's only defeat and may have something to say about those Bellew rankings, especially as he is the WBO Champion, that I feel is for another day though...

In Bellew's last fight he fought the durable Isaac Chilemba in a rematch, their previous fight finished in a draw just 2 months previously and so determined was Bellew to right, what he perceived as a wrong that a rematch was hastily arranged for the Froch Vs Kessler undercard. My view is that he lost the first fight by a very close decision.

Bellew was stung by criticism of him in the first fight which is used as a positive motivational tool for his rematch. He said this after the win Vs Chilemba -

"I've been through hell and I've tortured myself since the last fight, I've had to put up with some stick with people doubting me on forums and on Twitter, but everyone questioned the wrong person. I went straight back into training camp and I've hated boxing these last eight weeks. The difference this time was I wasn't dead on my feet after seven rounds like I was before when I was lucky not to go out on a stretcher, but I will fight until I've not got anything left. You have to put me on the floor to beat me. I'm just so happy. I stuck with it and he didn't want it. “To all those internet trolls and all the people who have been amusing me on Twitter — stick it up your a**e."

With Bellew winning the Chilemba fight he is now the WBC mandatory challenger and should fight the winner of Chad Dawson Vs Adonis Stevenson which takes place in Canada on 6th June.

Personally I think Bellew would be better off fighting Hopkins should he beat Murat on 13th July, as I feel the winner of Dawson Vs Stevenson, (I think Dawson), will be far too strong, quick and "ringwise" for Bellew. There would be a much bigger payday for Bellew fighting Hopkins in the UK than travelling over to the US or Canada to fight Dawson.

His promoter Eddie Hearn still says he will get his title shot Vs the Dawson/Stevenson winner - “He’s fighting the winner. It’s probably in October, November or December.” He told I Film London.

Bellew is ranked number 4 on BoxRec in the light heavy division, a ranking I feel is very generous. I would put Dawson, Cleverly, Stevenson, Murat and Hopkins all above him.

I personally don't think he has the power, the speed or the ring craft to beat the 5 I have mentioned above. He has heart and plenty of it there is no doubt about that, but does he have the tools? If he did I am sure we would have seen them by now.

I asked at the beginning is Bellew, hype or hope?

I believe he gets far too much hype especially by the SKY pundits, no doubt that is Hearn's doing and rightly so looking after one of his fighters, I do however have hope that he will one day show the ability to match his heart.

I wish him well...

You can read more from John on his Blog - http://murmuringsofaboxingmad-man.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/bellew-hype-or-hope.html

Other articles of interest
Interview with Enzo Calazaghe - http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/05/the-v2boxing-podcast-with-enzo-calzaghe.html
The Cobra Gains Revenge - http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/05/the-cobra-gains-revenge.html
Boxing European Championships - http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/05/european-championships.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew - Hype or Hope? Empty Re: Tony Bellew - Hype or Hope?

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 01 Jun 2013, 4:18 pm

Nice article Truss?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm

If Truss would have written it, there would have been far more.............. every other sentence!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 01 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

If only his boxing could match his mouth he would be up there in the P4P stakes. I like him in that he wears his heart on his sleeve but he is no puncher as he thinks he is nor is he the skilled boxer he thinks he is. He's an ok boxer and the second best in Britain. Clev will beat him everytime they meet and probably KO him next time.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 01 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

Don't think he's hyped, people don't rate him that highly and saying that he one of the better fighters in the division isn't too far fetched

He falls short of the really top guys, although I did think he drew agaisnt Clev, but will at least make all of the top guys work for it

Chilemba's is a very awkward guy and can make you look poor, but tony showed his mettle by demanding such a tough rematch

Think that he kills himself making 175 but will be a small Cruiserweight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 01 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

Limited fighter but still a reasonably good one

Theres no reason why he cant be up there competing with the best although most of the top LHWs would beat him

Needs to just get on with it a bit though rather than moaning about people saying something on a forum or Twitter and telling everyone how much of a hard working class hero he is

Would love a fight between him and Clev again. Clev busting him up real good this time hopefully

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

Can't get past how annoying he is. If he shut up and just fought I could be impartial in my opinion but he talks so much garbage I try to ignore him. He's a Euro level fighter at best.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:32 pm

I'm sure he is concerned about your opinion and wants your attention. Rolling Eyes

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

He probably gives about as much of a sh1t about my opinion as I do about yours.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

I'd enjoy a Hopkins fight for the press conferences alone.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:34 pm

Steffan wrote:Limited fighter but still a reasonably good one

Theres no reason why he cant be up there competing with the best although most of the top LHWs would beat him

Needs to just get on with it a bit though rather than moaning about people saying something on a forum or Twitter and telling everyone how much of a hard working class hero he is

Would love a fight between him and Clev again. Clev busting him up real good this time hopefully

Talking of Clev, I haven't seen his next fight scheduled yet. I thought he had a mandatory against a live opponent (Braehmer) or is he still looking for a nurse on the right shift?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:49 pm

Dunno

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 02 Jun 2013, 1:10 am

I think he's awful with a ton of misplaced self belief. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and I question his motives. I also suspect he's a mentalist and barely keeps his true persona under wraps.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:16 am

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:I think he's awful with a ton of misplaced self belief. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and I question his motives. I also suspect he's a mentalist and barely keeps his true persona under wraps.

From Liverpool then.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

Absolute stereotypical scouser. The same bitterness that the Liverpool fans display

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Strongback wrote:He probably gives about as much of a sh1t about my opinion as I do about yours.

He wouldn't have had a rant about his critics If he didn't care.....

Think he's a very sensitive lad......We are all made different.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 02 Jun 2013, 4:02 pm

Strongback wrote:He probably gives about as much of a sh1t about my opinion as I do about yours.

You hurt my feelings.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnHoo Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

OK

JohnHoo

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

Think most people rate him about right, high level European fighter that may get a world title but will fall short against the best.

Obviously Sky do over hype him, both pre-fight and during the fights.

Not sure if they see something I can't in him or are just happy to think we are completely gullible.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

azania wrote:If only his boxing could match his mouth he would be up there in the P4P stakes. I like him in that he wears his heart on his sleeve but he is no puncher as he thinks he is nor is he the skilled boxer he thinks he is. He's an ok boxer and the second best in Britain. Clev will beat him everytime they meet and probably KO him next time.

Hate it when this happens but I agree with Az 100%.

Like the guy, but think he's found his level. Very good Euro-fringe world, that's it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 03 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

if cleverly can win a title bellew can, cleverly was run very very close and since then has fought stiffs whilst bellew has picked up a few decent wins. despite his showing against chimbela, who could make anybody look bad. dawson is too big of an ask but i would give him a shot against the other top names, its not exactly a stacked division right now.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down