The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early?

4 posters

Go down

Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early? Empty Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 28 May 2013, 11:50 am

Was watching a post fight interview after Groves' win at the weekend and the interviewer mentioned James DeGales's name.

George replied with "look, I'm with the dream team at Matchroom fighting in the O2 while he is fighting in some tent in Canada". Have to say it did make me laugh a bit.

But is this shoddy mismanagement of DeGale down to the fact that these 2 were paired together too quickly? DeGale seems to be learning nothing and going backwards under Mick Hennessy which isnt a surprise given his history of promoting decent talent.

DeGale is currently the WBC Silver belt holder (sighhh I know) and was European Champ immediately after the Groves defeat. But he has almost vanished in the public eye.

Groves has improved and is ready to fight the Abrahams, Steglitz's etc.

But should these 2 have been kept apart or was it really necessary to match them when they did?

It has almost completely ruined DeGales career. He needs to leave that fat useless turd Hennessy as he will never get majr fights under him.

Mick can barely get Fury a decent gig or sell out an arena. What can he do with DeGales??

Anyway, think I have asked a few questions there, so thoughts would be great?

Thanks

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early? Empty Re: Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early?

Post by hampo17 Tue 28 May 2013, 11:53 am

Not sure it's got anything to do with them fighting, probably more to do with how he and Frank seemed to fall out after Groves signed to Boxnation.

His career has stalled completely since joining Hennessy, he would have been where Groves is now had he not fallen out with Frank.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early? Empty Re: Groves vs DeGale - Did they fight too early?

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 28 May 2013, 12:13 pm

Can't see it, plenty of time for the loser to come back to world level but Degale has just fizzled out

Had troubles with Warren so jumped ship to Hennessy, not the smartest move in the world in terms of matchmaking and his performances just haven't been up to scratch so I think he only has himself to blame

The Canada fight was just a stay busy fight and while Groves seems to have the buzz about him it is actually degale who is being watched by more people when he was on Ch5

So no, I dont think it was too early

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 28 May 2013, 1:27 pm

Definately not. The problem is that far too often domestic rivals aren't fighting early enough, and then the fights don't happen. Benn v Watson did neither any harm, but nowdays every other know-all would be saying 'why not wait until one of thems a world champ'
Baker-Murray-Macklin probably won't happen, likewise Brook -Khan, Fury and Price may never happen due to each of their fragilities. The fact that these fighter seem to think that domestic titles / bragging rights aren't worht fighting for is yet another nail in the sport's coffin- no one care who's the Britsh champ, and no one understands the muddle of alphabet straps that they all aspire to.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down