The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened?

4 posters

Go down

Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened? Empty Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened?

Post by Adam D Wed 15 May 2013, 1:04 pm

I mentioned this fight on the lottery thread and the Capt thought that Holy was winning before fan man interupted.

Now I have only seen the fight when it happened but seem to recall that Hoylfield looked gassed by the time fan man arrived. I personally feel that the fight turned on the interuption, as it gave Holyfield the break he needed to continue at the pace he had started. In round 7, (when the fan landed), Holyfield looked gone from my spurrious memory.

I looked up the fight to see how it was scored and it looks like th Capt was right - holyfield was ahead :

On November 13, 1992, Evander Holyfield suffered his first loss as a professional to Riddick Bowe. Holyfield avenged the loss a year later by earning a majority decision over Bowe. Here is how I would have scored Bowe-Holyfield II:

Round 1. This round was extremely tough to score because Holyfield rebounded after being rocked during the first 10 seconds. I strongly considered scoring it even, but I'm going to give Bowe the nod based on infliction of damage early in the round (10-9, Bowe).

Round 2. Another tough round that I gave to Bowe on nothing more than his ability to jab effectively, which was the only thing in my view that set the two men apart. (20-18, Bowe).

Round 3. Bowe landed the best shot of the two fighters at the end of the otherwise jabbing contest of a round. I gave it to Holyfield simply because his jab was better. (29-28, Bowe).

Round 4. Close round on my card for Bowe until Holyfield unleashed hell at the end of the round. The exchange was so good that both men elected to keep it going after the bell rang. (38-38, even).

Round 5. Most one-sided round of the fight so far and Holyfield owned it. (48-47, Holyfield).

Round 6. The 6th was a great round for Holyfield. Two things stand out, the speed of Holyfield coming in and Bowe's inside fighting. (58-56, Holyfield).

Round 7. Oh yeah, the infamous "Fan Man" incident. See you in 20 minutes. I'm back. As a judge, when the action is stopped like it was in this round, flip your card over and score the round so that you know where to pick it back up. When Mills Lane stopped the action so that the idiot with the parachute could be pummeled by the fans, I wrote "10-9 Bowe." When the action restarted, I knew Holyfield was behind and he almost made up the difference. (67-66, Holyfield).

Round 8. This fight is completely backward. Holyfield, the smaller man, is winning on the outside and Bowe is ruling the inside. This round was mostly outside. (77-75, Holyfield).

Round 9. Forget what I just said. Bowe remembered that he is the bigger man and owned the outside (and most of the inside). Good round for Bowe. (86 to 85, Holyfield).

Round 10. Both men are exhausted and digging for it. Holyfield had more production and took the round. (96-94, Holyfield).

Round 11. I hate to give the round to one over the other, but I am giving it to Holyfield for the last second rally. (106-103, Holyfield).

Round 12. Bowe gave everything he had left in the tank and what was left was enough to win the round, but lose the fight. (115 to 113, Holyfield).

The judges scored the fight 114-114 (draw), 115-114 (Holyfield), and 115-113 (Holyfield)--a majority victory for Evander. I must say that I do not disagree with any of the scorecards because most of the rounds were very close.

As I watched this fight again and reflected on the trilogy between these two men and the other great heavyweight battles of the last two decades, it saddens me to now see the division full of large men who could not be anything more than sparring partners with the past legends. Show me anyone in the heavyweight division today with the heart and determination equal to Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe. Well?

But how do you remember the fight, what were your impressions of how it would have gone and how do you rate it in the series of 3??

For my money, if fan man hadnt of landed, Holyfield would have been knocked out by Bowe by round 10.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened? Empty Re: Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 May 2013, 1:30 pm

Think it goes to decision..........To be honest I scored the fight for Bowe anyway.......but by a bigger margin....... If fan man hadn't appeared..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened? Empty Re: Holyfield vs Bowe II - What would have happened?

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 May 2013, 1:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think it goes to decision..........To be honest I scored the fight for Bowe anyway.......but by a bigger margin....... If fan man hadn't appeared..

But you are a Bowe nutthugger Truss, you defended the "belt in the bin" scandal!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 May 2013, 1:44 pm

So that makes me a nuthugger.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 May 2013, 1:52 pm

picard
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 May 2013, 2:06 pm

I actually had Bowe a point up at the end in any case as well, but it was a very, very close one and the fact that the judges saw it a little differently is nothing to get in a twist about.

It looks like I'm basically in line with Truss on this one. I think Bowe was about to turn the screw and, though I expect he might have tired in the championship rounds anyway, I think he'd have done enough between rounds seven and nine to give himself a nice cushion to see out the last three rounds. Still a majority decision, maybe, but in Riddick's favour.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 May 2013, 2:12 pm

As I say Chris I had Bowe ahead anyway............But I agree with your overview.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down