The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The worst rugby ad of all time

+26
HammerofThunor
theslosty
aucklandlaurie
kiakahaaotearoa
glamorganalun
t1000advancedprototype
doddieman
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
GLove39
Gretgael1
GunsGerms
profitius
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
sirtidychris
Golden
whocares
dallym
Pal Joey
Biltong
100%beefy
Looseheaded
IanBru
debaters1
Feckless Rogue
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The worst rugby ad of all time - Page 2 Empty The worst rugby ad of all time

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 May 2013, 5:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Promo for USA v Ireland.

Oh my god it's so very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7tZ61g4c1WU
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

The worst rugby ad of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: The worst rugby ad of all time

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 08 May 2013, 9:55 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Recipee for a good rugby/Steinlager add:

Mix;

1.Rolling Stones,
2.All Blacks,
3."Paint it Black".

Cost: Mick jagger gets a Sean Fitzpatrick test jersey, apparently the only ever time the Rolling Stones have granted permission for one of their songs to be used for commercial purposes.

It was the 1st time I think - a few years later Microsoft managed to licence "Start it Up" for a Windows launch, so it's not the only time Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The worst rugby ad of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: The worst rugby ad of all time

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 May 2013, 11:11 am

The ARU's Lions ad. Maximus Decimus Meridius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ2UhldtOA8

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 08 May 2013, 12:14 pm

I can't find it on youtube but a few years back Colin Meads did an ad for a finance company called Provincial Finance. In hindsight, him slapping a fencepost and describing them as "solid as" was bad - when they went belly up he lost a fair swag of money*.

*My parents lost a few grand too - though it at least let me get in a few "I told you so"s as I'd suggested Dad shift his money a few months earlier after I read their prospectus - 70% of their loans were for car finance in South Auckland Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 08 May 2013, 12:20 pm

I suppose your dad could have tried to repossess one of those cars!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 May 2013, 12:23 pm

Whocares, this is off topic, but have you thought about writing a preview of the Lions tour? I'd love to hear a French perspective on how the series might go.

(I know you have a tour of your own to look forward to...!)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 08 May 2013, 12:25 pm

whocares wrote: I suppose your dad could have tried to repossess one of those cars!

Laugh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 08 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Pete what's that ad with rugby training in the South Island and a guy is carrying a stag or a boar and it's called weight training and the scrum machine is a ute being pushed out of the mud?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 08 May 2013, 12:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Pete what's that ad with rugby training in the South Island and a guy is carrying a stag or a boar and it's called weight training and the scrum machine is a ute being pushed out of the mud?

I think that was an NPC ad - possibly AirNZ?

Or maybe a Sky coverage promo?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 08 May 2013, 12:50 pm

Yeah one of those mate. Couldn't track it down and somewhere on a thread you posted a link to it but have no idea where and when. But it was my favourite rugby ad of all time. Made me proud to be a Southern man.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 08 May 2013, 2:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Whocares, this is off topic, but have you thought about writing a preview of the Lions tour? I'd love to hear a French perspective on how the series might go.

(I know you have a tour of your own to look forward to...!)

And I thought there were already a lot of Lions related posts! Very Happy

to be honest, havent got much experience in "lions watching" as it is not often broadcasted here (not even sure the 2013 tour is somewhere on french tv). The subject is also barely discussed over here (appart from mentionning who is selected, there is no analysis or sound interest). I like to see how this lions team will "gel" during the 1st couple of games before having a clear idea of their chances. They have the personnel to beat australia on paper at least although another playmaking 10 would have helped.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Now that's interesting. I never knew how much attention the Lions got in France - or, as it turns out, how little attention!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 08 May 2013, 2:18 pm

indeed - this is why a warming-up game between the lions and france would be a nice thing in the future.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 May 2013, 2:19 pm

French rugby never really overly concerns itself with extra-European rugby. Isn't that why they've always had a luke-warm relationship with HC (at least in tone)...it gets in the way of the Domestic rugby.

International rugby? - It gets in the way of domestic rugby.

They've really always had that attitude. And who is to blame them anyway. The Lions is something they're not a part of, it's an amateur idea still operating in a professionally set-up Europe. If they ain't at the party, there is much more interesting stuff happening in New Zealand. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 May 2013, 2:20 pm

whocares wrote:indeed - this is why a warming-up game between the lions and france would be a nice thing in the future.

That would be amazing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed 08 May 2013, 2:53 pm

At the risk of opening the can of worms inside Pandora's box (keep it clean gents, Wink but how does the North Island/South island rivalry break down/manifest? How good natured is it etc?

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 08 May 2013, 3:04 pm

debaters1 wrote:At the risk of opening the can of worms inside Pandora's box (keep it clean gents, Wink but how does the North Island/South island rivalry break down/manifest? How good natured is it etc?

I'm a Mainlander and some of my best friends are jafas* Wink

North vs South isn't a massive thinge really, instead there are some good natured regional rivalries, and the Auckland vs the rest of NZ rivalry has a (milder) bit of England vs Wales/Ireland/Scotland about it - ie the rest resent Auckland for being big & Auckland doesn't notice. With Canterbury dominating domestic rugby for a while a bit of an envious edge from the other regions developed, but again fairly mild.

* JAFA = nickname applied to Aucklanders by the rest of NZ. Acronym for "Just Another err Aucklander"
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 08 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Generally it's fine between us because its generally accepted that the mainland is the best of the islands and the north island is overpopulated and much uglier. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 08 May 2013, 10:23 pm

Kia, this wouldnt happen to be what you were thinking about would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOEkZ38RsQ

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 08 May 2013, 10:28 pm

debaters1 wrote:At the risk of opening the can of worms inside Pandora's box (keep it clean gents, Wink but how does the North Island/South island rivalry break down/manifest? How good natured is it etc?

Debater, we do tolerate them but we can only take so much, take that Richie McCaw for example he is always off side at the breakdown and he gets preferential treatment from the refs, and contrary to what some people may tell you, but J.A.F.A stands for "Just another fantastic Aucklander".

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 09 May 2013, 11:17 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Kia, this wouldnt happen to be what you were thinking about would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOEkZ38RsQ

That's the one I think. Cheers mate.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 09 May 2013, 12:07 pm

See these fudging aucklanders have their moments. Legend. thumbsup

That video gives me a Mainland hard on! Absolutely stunning scenery and a stunning place. Give yourself an upper cut if you're from the north island and never explored it. As for the rest of you mark it down on the bucket list or richie and his legion of Canterbury cyclops will smash you!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Just showing the "Master & Commander" Lions ad on Rugby HQ here... a few hearty laughs from the panel. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Fri 10 May 2013, 7:58 am

adidas doing one about All Black captains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKoz0l8ifo

there's some great names there. Charlie Saxton, The Needle, Wilson W, Buck, Fitzy....then there's Taine Randell

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Fri 10 May 2013, 9:28 am

Tamati Ellison singing in this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fkVo5DkMc

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 11 May 2013, 10:52 am

That's pretty cool. I never made that connection dally. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have stood by the ABs by going back to Japan when he had a good chance of making the squad.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 2:12 pm

dallym wrote:adidas doing one about All Black captains

there's some great names there. Charlie Saxton, The Needle, Wilson W, Buck, Fitzy....then there's Taine Randell

S4C did something very similar (ripped off?) a few years ago with the Welsh 10 shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APClGUJ6_W8

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 13 May 2013, 6:48 pm

Pete, Kia & Laurie, thank you for the insight. Seems good banter, much like the interactions we have in Ireland.

Mainly between, your D4 (posh) Dublin types, their poor cousins from "da nortsoide" of the city, Boggers (anyone not from Dublin) Nordies (everyone from Ulster/Northern Ireland) The Limerick boys (working class rugby fans) The Westerners (Galway, Mayo etc, where it really does rain pretty much ALL the time) and then, of course, the Proud-to-a-fault Cork men. #secondcitysyndrome

The above are general and broad groupings and are certainly not exhaustive; one thing Ireland is the world leader in is parochial misgivings and tribalism.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 14 May 2013, 7:21 am

dallym wrote:adidas doing one about All Black captains

That's one of the best executed ideas I've seen in a commercial. Must steal that and pretend I thought of it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:16 am

Worst rugby ad? We have a winner. It starts off bad and gets worse. vomit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KYGYJMNURNc
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:30 am

Lynn doesn't agree with you, profitius Wink

I don't know how they talked Warburton into that ending.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:06 am

http://www.bestadsontv.com/ad/35194/SKY-TV-Rugby-World-Cup-Commentator

Best rugby advert ever. /thread!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2