The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen?

+16
Messymesina
yappysnap
Cari
doctor_grey
profitius
TycroesOsprey
Galted
eirebilly
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
Scot Abroad
Shifty
bsando
SecretFly
Knowsit17
Chjw131
20 posters

Go down

Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen? Empty Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen?

Post by Chjw131 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

I posted this on another thread and though i'd start a new one about it. Here is my list of games so far; please post yours preferably from the era of the Television or Wireless...

"In fact come to think of it, my top three 'Worst Games of Rugby I've Ever Seen' (in recent times) would be:

1. Scotland v England (6N - 2008)

2. Scotland v Wales (6N - 2011)

3. Scotland v England (6N 2010)

All at Murrayfield funnily enough!"

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen? Empty Re: Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen?

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

Another Murrayfield encounter would be Scotland v Wales 2007, an utter snoozefest for a neutral, worst possible for a Wales fan and only slightly consoling for a Scottish fan (added that in retrospect it's the Scots' only win over Wales in nine years).

A lot of Pro12 games involving the Ospreys are truly cringeworthy given the endless stream of errors with few if any tries scored.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen? Empty Re: Worst Games of Rugby You've Ever Seen?

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Maybe of all the stadiums that are used for Six Nations, the most northerly of them perhaps most deserves.................. a roof?

Get the Lotto to pay for it before you leave the Union Scotland.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

Chjw131 - Scotland vs England 2010!?! That was a close game! Despite the lack of try's I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Mine would be..

Scotland vs Wales 2011, that was a terrible, terrible game

England vs Wales (most games) This fixture always gets a lot of hype but personally feel it never delivers. I fell asleep on couch watching it last year.. but I hope it is better this year!)

Scotland vs Italy 2010, boring stagnant game with a really weak try given away at the end.

Scotland vs NZ (for no other reason than NZ tore us a new one)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

Wales v Ireland was pretty poor last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Wales v Ireland? The game was pretty poor, everything else was a classic. They've already sent the CD of that game to embalmers so that future generations of apes can watch it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

Scotland Vs Ireland in 1994 was bloody awful, it was a 6-6 draw.

The worst game I have ever seen in my life was Wales Vs Ireland in 1993, you will never see a more dire game of rugby. How the hell Neil Jenkins got another cap after that I will never know!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

Scotland vs Italy in 2007. Italy winning 37-17. Worst display of rugby I've ever seen from a Scotland team. A complete embarassment. Scotland vs Wales in 2011 was also a shocker. Was there with my Welsh mate, he was laughing his ass off at how bad we were. Worst moment I've seen was O'Gara walking through the Scotland defence in the game last year. Thankfully I had drinks on hand to down my sorrows after I removed my head from my hands.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

Quarter final of 2007 RWC against France.

Semi final of 2003 RWC.

Semi final of 1999 RWC.

Final of 1995 RWC.

They were shockers. Whistle Have a sneaking suspicion though most people enjoyed themselves very much watching those matches.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:40 pm

Yeah, we have had some pretty poor matches at Murrayflied over therecent years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

I must be a really odd person but i liked the matches you are refeering to in the original post. I like a good game of attritional rugby.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

Scotland A v NZ in the '07 world cup, a forgetful, pointless (especially for the Scots) no-contest that probably harmed both sides' chances of advancing through the knock-outs

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Scotland Vs Ireland in 1994 was bloody awful, it was a 6-6 draw.

The worst game I have ever seen in my life was Wales Vs Ireland in 1993, you will never see a more dire game of rugby. How the hell Neil Jenkins got another cap after that I will never know!

Yeah I think I have to agree with you on that one, I took my then fiance to it. She didnt want to come to another match.

Worst game ever at any level. Parklands primary school vs Tycoch 1982. 0.0 after 40 mins with neither side getting into the opposition 22. god it was dire. It was not my fault, I mean who puts a second row at inside centre? Whistle

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Old Celtic league games (about 6 years ago or more) used to throw up some dud encounters. Knock on, scrum, knock on, scrum, knock on, scrum.....
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Sat 28 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

eirebilly wrote:I must be a really odd person but i liked the matches you are refeering to in the original post. I like a good game of attritional rugby.

Each to their own as they say eire. I've seen some great low scoring games I must say, but particularly the 2008 match I felt was dire. Jonny got dropped after that I think.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Worst match I have ever seen?
Back in 2000 I was playing for Worcester and I watched the videotape of a particular match and saw how pisspoor I played. Wanted to burn the tape.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

Magners League a couple of years ago, I can't remember who they were playing, but it was an Ospreys match at home. The game was played in very bad weather - heavy rain and strong winds. Conditions were appalling and the only points scored came from penalty kicks which were difficult enough. It was just a very slow labourious uninteresting game from a spectators point of view. Even the commentators were complaining.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

Can't believe no ones mentioned Eng v Arg '09, highlights being purple kit, nike adds and the international paper airoplane comp. Infact anything other then watch the match.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

yappysnap wrote:Can't believe no ones mentioned Eng v Arg '09, highlights being purple kit, nike adds and the international paper airoplane comp. Infact anything other then watch the match.
Didn't that also include Monye's full-back nightmare?

Horrible, horrible game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

Llandovery College v Brecon 2009.

You can't go back.

AWJ I still broken

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

Scotland v Wales 2007 was bad and not helped by the fact Murrayfield was bitterly cold (colder than usual too). It was that bad, I started celebrating Scotland kicks just to keep warm (dancing to Chelsea Dagger).

Wales v Ireland last year was toilet too yeah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

Unfortunately, television and wireless was available for all of these beauties, as well as me getting to see some of them live and uninterrupted from pitch side.

1976 - Irleand v Scotland at Lansdowne
1977 Ireland 0 - 4 England (the reserve team from Dulux would have been more entertaining
1977 England 3 - 4 France - the French Dulux team slightly outplayed the one from H&W
1979 Ireland 9 - 9 France - whoo baby!
1979 England 7 -7 Scotland - Twickenham never resembled a morgue so much
1979 Scotland 11 - 11 Ireland - not to be outdone, the Celts produced another draw between each other
1985 England 9 -9 France

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:Scotland Vs Ireland in 1994 was bloody awful, it was a 6-6 draw.

Yeah I think I have to agree with you on that one, I took my then fiance to it. She didnt want to come to another match.

Worst game ever at any level. Parklands primary school vs Tycoch 1982. 0.0 after 40 mins with neither side getting into the opposition 22. god it was dire. It was not my fault, I mean who puts a second row at inside centre? Whistle

A coach who wants a tall crash ball center?

If were talking about bad school matches you should of seen what Pencoed Comprehensive did to us (Porthcawl) in a cup game when I was 15, we spent the entire game underneath our posts.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 28 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

in my eyes without a doubt it was england vs argentina 2009 when we played in those purple shirts !!!! we kicked every single ball....every ball.....gegarthy at inside centre was terrible, ugo monye at full back was possibly the worst full back performance i have ever seen....every player looked over coached without a clue what to do apart from drop the ball or kick it ! for those that don't remember...............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2009/11/purple_england_left_with_red_f.html

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 28 Jan 2012, 6:25 pm

Messymesina wrote:Llandovery College v Brecon 2009.

You can't go back.

AWJ I still broken

Sad 1988 still hurts and I wasnt even playing. will CCB ever win another llandov game? I was in the lower sixth last time we managed it. I dont get the AWJ reference tho could you explain?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 28 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote: I dont get the AWJ reference tho could you explain?

Lee Bryne (before he changed sides).
Nigel Owens
Gareth Thomas

Put the cryptic clues together... Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 28 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote: I dont get the AWJ reference tho could you explain?

Lee Bryne (before he changed sides).
Nigel Owens
Gareth Thomas

Put the cryptic clues together... Laugh

Ah for some reason I thought it was a reference to the 2009 game. I hadnt actually heard those rumours but a quick google and hey presto. Whistle

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 28 Jan 2012, 7:49 pm

International game - probably England V Scotland 2008 , so very dull , luckily the games got better that tournament thumbsup

Club game - I'm a Dragons fan , they all blur into one steam
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 9:02 pm

Fiji vs Wales 2010

Probably the most frustrating and boring game I've ever watched, even had 1 scrum that lasted about 10 minutes before the ref gave a penalty try.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

Did he actually give a penalty try ? I was at the match and fell into a coma.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

a few years back i saw bedwas v 'cant remember' in a 3 all draw in the cold and wet. not a hugely entertaining game.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down