The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 World Cup venues: confirmed

+20
whocares
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
glamorganalun
lauriehow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Portnoy's Complaint
nathan
Taffineastbourne
Effervescing Elephant
HongKongCherry
Luckless Pedestrian
westisbest
Geordie
Biltong
doctor_grey
GLove39
Dubbelyew L Overate
damage_13
Scrumpy
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2015 World Cup venues: confirmed - Page 2 Empty 2015 World Cup venues: confirmed

Post by Scrumpy Thu 02 May 2013, 10:34 am

First topic message reminder :

World Cup venues:

Twickenham

Wembley

Olympic Stadium

Millennium Stadium

Etihad Stadium - Manchester

St James' Park - Newcastle

Elland Road - Leeds

King Power Stadium - Leicester

Villa Park - Birmingham

Kingsholm - Gloucester

Stadium MK - Milton Keynes

Brighton Community Stadium - Brighton

Sandy Park - Exeter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22379872

Too many football stadiums
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

2015 World Cup venues: confirmed - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 World Cup venues: confirmed

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 03 May 2013, 5:19 pm

gregortree wrote:Grey,

Gare du Nord to St Denis by RER...
is similar to Waterloo to Twickenham, although not sure that RER does those nice rugby specials.

Cardiff MS at least is bang by the railway station, albeit the train frequency / capacity are both crape.

Paris is hundreds of kilometres from the hot-beds of French rugby.

What's this RER stuff about?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

2015 World Cup venues: confirmed - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 World Cup venues: confirmed

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 03 May 2013, 6:38 pm

Griff wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Since the 2007 Welsh games didn't sell out (around 40000 for some IIRC) and the AI not against the big three don't are we sure their games against the two 'weaker' teams in the pool will? Granted they're on an up so I can more people being interested but we've also had the recession since then...I'd still expect more than would fit in Welford Road though (also England's 'away' game in Old Trafford in 2009 only got around 50000 (IIRC)

I think the difference this time will be that a) the tournament is in England, and the MS is only 2 hours from London so not much travel for fans. In 2007 you had to travel from France if you were on a bit of a tour; and b) in 2007 the games did not involve Wales. I'm sure Wales would sell out the MS for a world cup game, even if it is against a 'minnow' side. We got 70,000 in to watch the world cup semi in the TV when the match was in NZ last time!

In 2007 the only Welsh game in Cardiff that didn't involve a 'big name' was against Japan with 35000. Would the two in 2015 be better attended? Maybe, they won't have the People's Champion (Jenkins) involved now.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 03 May 2013, 9:37 pm

Grey, have you been to Stade De France ?
http://accueil.stadefrance.com/fr/societies/places/bruce-springsteen

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 03 May 2013, 10:21 pm

We don't want to go to Gloucester. We want to go to Exeter Chief
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 03 May 2013, 10:33 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:We don't want to go to Gloucester. We want to go to Exeter Chief
Go ahead Schizoid, I'll be welcoming the Jocks to Kingsholm, Doom Bars Ale Ale Ale on me.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 04 May 2013, 8:44 am

whocares wrote:Looks like we are all set to have another NZ-France QF in Cardiff Cool

Also I see nobody complaining about Scotland playing a couple almost at home Whistle

Actually as a resident of the north east and having just had a look through the fixtures list I was coming to see what if anything had been said about that. Very frustrating that the North gets just 6 games, and half of those are clearly going to be targetting the travelling scottish fans rather than trying to get the locals in and spread the game a bit. I suspect the Scotland games will sell out fairly quickly and ticket prices will be set quite high - which may rule out those with casual interest. In addition to the Scotland games there will be 1 in Manchester (and it's pushing it to call that north), 1 in Leeds and 1 in Newcastle. If they really wanted to get maximum revenue from the Scotland fans it's a wonder that they didn't try and take advantage of the additional capacity at Murrayfield. Samoa and South Africa would almost certainly object, but if the qualifiers were offered a cut of the additional revenue they might actually be quite keen.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 04 May 2013, 9:18 am

gregortree wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:We don't want to go to Gloucester. We want to go to Exeter Chief
Go ahead Schizoid, I'll be welcoming the Jocks to Kingsholm, Doom Bars Ale Ale Ale on me.

Its a deal Gregor - never tried Doom Bar as am a big Caley 80/- tippler. How far are you from Exeter ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 May 2013, 9:42 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Griff wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Since the 2007 Welsh games didn't sell out (around 40000 for some IIRC) and the AI not against the big three don't are we sure their games against the two 'weaker' teams in the pool will? Granted they're on an up so I can more people being interested but we've also had the recession since then...I'd still expect more than would fit in Welford Road though (also England's 'away' game in Old Trafford in 2009 only got around 50000 (IIRC)

I think the difference this time will be that a) the tournament is in England, and the MS is only 2 hours from London so not much travel for fans. In 2007 you had to travel from France if you were on a bit of a tour; and b) in 2007 the games did not involve Wales. I'm sure Wales would sell out the MS for a world cup game, even if it is against a 'minnow' side. We got 70,000 in to watch the world cup semi in the TV when the match was in NZ last time!

In 2007 the only Welsh game in Cardiff that didn't involve a 'big name' was against Japan with 35000. Would the two in 2015 be better attended? Maybe, they won't have the People's Champion (Jenkins) involved now.

Hammer, just looking at that. Was it just pool B matches at the MS in 2007? If so there were only 3 games there:

Wales v Oz was a sellout
Wales v Japan was only 35,000 which I find really odd
Fiji v Canada was 45,000

Now I can't explain the Wales Japan game, but I reckon yes we would sellout or get a 3/4 full crowd for a minnow game in the 2015 World Cup. I think Wales' stock with our own fans has risen significantly since 2007. E.g. Selling out the stadium when the game was on on the TV for the last World Cup.

For the Fiji v Canada game I guess there was not a huge number of local supporters from those countries, and not a grea deal of welsh people interested? Although the figures are comparable if not more to the group games staged in many parts of France. What I would say is that if you're coming from Fiji or Canada to France to support your team, and all other games are to be held in France, then it is understandable that you may miss a game by staying in France. I know the distance isn't big but the cost could be of flying/ferrying/train-ing to Wales. If the two games at the MS this time are only involving Wales then I don't think attendances will be a problem. Maybe not sellouts but around the 50-60k mark which won't be too bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 04 May 2013, 11:29 am

Schizoid, Glos is about 100 miles nearer to Scotland than is Exeter.
You got a fixture at Exeter for RWC ? Today: Glos are playing Exeter today, but I'll watch the game on Sky at our pub. Ale

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 04 May 2013, 3:01 pm

gregortree wrote:Schizoid, Glos is about 100 miles nearer to Scotland than is Exeter.
You got a fixture at Exeter for RWC ? Today: Glos are playing Exeter today, but I'll watch the game on Sky at our pub. Ale

OK mate will get in touch with ya nearer the time for some local advice- enjoy today's game. Looks like a cracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2