The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Tour of Japan

+54
wayne
Impossible Standards
Sgt_Pooly
RDSguru
aucklandlaurie
doctor_grey
Scrumpy
Knowsit17
Aelandor
LeinsterFan4life
Duty281
Dontheman
GavinDragon
IanBru
kingjohn7
t1000advancedprototype
robbo277
Pal Joey
Rugby Fan
Biltong
Knackeredknees
Looseheaded
Cari
XR
HammerofThunor
international197
RubyGuby
mrzimmerman
iantobquick
LordDowlais
SubsBench
jimmyinthewell68
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
The Saint
Coleman
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
youngguns6
sirBiggles
maestegmafia
wales606
sickofwendy
munkian
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
glamorganalun
Shifty
welshboii15
mckay1402
Taffineastbourne
ScarletSpiderman
Glas a du
58 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Wales Tour of Japan - Page 3 Empty Wales Tour of Japan

Post by Glas a du Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know there was a thread on this somewhere, but it's been swamped.

Wales Lions - likely replacements

Halfpenny - Liam Williams
Cuthbert - Walker, Robinson
Davies - Williams, Maule
Roberts - Beck, Hewitt
North - Owen Williams (gutted for Mike Poole)
Phillips - Aled Davies, Tavis Knoyle
Jenkins - Gill
Hibbard - Myhill
Jones - Mitchell
AW Jones - Lou Reed
Ian Evans - King, Kohn
Lydiate - Ieuan Jones
Warburton and Tipuric - Thomas
Faletau - Bearman

What do you think? Anybody else you'd like to see tour Japan?

Wales Training Squad:
Forwards: Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Sam Hobbs (Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Lou Reed (Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andries Pretorius (Blues), Josh Navidi (Blues).
Backs: Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Aled Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Blues), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Steven Shingler (London Irish).

LATEST WRU PRESS RELEASE:

Wales Training Squad Update

Wales have called Cardiff Blues outside half Rhys Patchell and Newport Gwent Dragons hooker Sam Parry into their training squad for the tour of Japan but Scarlets fly-half Rhys Priestland has been ruled out of the tour.

Priestland aggravated his Achilles tendon in the warm-up of the Scarlets’ RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final on Friday evening and will miss the two-test tour.

Patchell, 19, who has scored 147 points in 22 appearances for the Blues this season and Haverfordwest born Parry, joined up with the training squad when they met for the first time this morning.

Ken Owens, Scott Williams and Liam Williams who picked up knocks in the defeat to Ulster, will continue to be monitored by the National Squad medical team.

Rhys PATCHELL (CARDIFF BLUES - Uncapped)
DoB: 17.05.93. 6’2” / 1.88m. 14st 13lbs / 95kgs
International record: Uncapped

Sam PARRY (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS - Uncapped)
DoB: 17.12.91. 6’1” / 1.86m. 16st 11lbs / 107kgs
International record: Uncapped.

Further update:

Scott Williams out. Will not be replaced in the squad.

Further update:

Ken Owens confirmed out, won't be replaced. 27 man squad TBA.

Cheers Munkian:

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE WELSH RUGBY UNION:
WALES ANNOUNCE JAPAN TOUR SQUAD

Cardiff Blues lock Bradley Davies will lead Wales in the forthcoming two-test tour of Japan.

The 26-year-old was named captain as Head Coach for the Japan tour Robin McBryde reduced his initial training squad down to a 27-man touring party.

The squad includes nine uncapped players including Ospreys duo Dafydd Howells and Dan Baker and Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Props Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs) who all featured for Wales in the 2013 RBS 6 Nations are joined by Saracens’ Rhys Gill and Rhodri Jones (Scarlets).

Uncapped pair Emyr Phillips (Scarlets) and Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) are named as hookers.

Davies returns to the squad after missing the Six Nations campaign due to injury and is named alongside Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Lou Reed (Blues) and James King (Ospreys).

Baker, 20, who featured 25 times for Swansea in the Principality Premiership this season, joins Scarlets duo Aaron Shingler and Rob McCusker and Blues captain Andries Pretorius.

Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) are named at scrum-half alongside Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and Patchell at fly-half.

In the backline Ospreys trio Ashley Beck, Jonathan Spratt and 18-year-old Howells are joined by Blues duo Owen Williams and Harry Robinson, Liam Williams (Scarlets), Tom Prydie (Dragons) and Steven Shingler (London Irish).

Wales face Eddie Jones’ Japan in Osaka on June 8th and then in Tokyo on June 15th and McBryde has been impressed with his squad over the past ten days.

“We’ve had the training squad together for more than a week and we’ve been impressed,” said McBryde.

“They have really put the effort in and stepped up as we have asked them to. Everyone in the training squad put their hand up for selection making our jobs much harder.

“It’s a chance for these players now to experience the international test environment and put their marker down.
Wales Squad:

Forwards: Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Lou Reed (Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andries Pretorius (Blues).

Backs: Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Blues), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Steven Shingler (London Irish).

Last edited by Glas a du on Tue May 21, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Wales Tour of Japan - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales Tour of Japan

Post by Glas a du Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 am

Will they get into the 27 man squad though?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri May 17, 2013 11:28 am

Maes,

Not saying Evans deserves it over either King or Shingler but I would have taken him.

As for captaincy if not Shingler how about Coombes, he's dome it for us down at Dave.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri May 17, 2013 1:20 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maes,

Not saying Evans deserves it over either King or Shingler but I would have taken him.

As for captaincy if not Shingler how about Coombes, he's dome it for us down at Dave.

Bradley has captained the Blues - he also captained the U20s and would probably captain the Blues more if it wasn't for the Blues dislike of an international captain.

Josh Navidi has captained the Blues a lot recently Whistle
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 pm

wales606 wrote:

Bradley has captained the Blues - he also captained the U20s and would probably captain the Blues more if it wasn't for the Blues dislike of an international captain.

Nalvidi is a really exciting prospect on this tour too. Sensible lad and a good rugby head on him. Captain for his first cap though??? Big call by the management there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 pm

The team I'd pick would be along the lines of

Bevington
Baldwin
Mitchell
Davies
King
Shingler
Nalvidi
Baker
Aled Davies
Biggar
Robinson
Shingler
Owen Williams
Prydie
Liam Williams

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I also agree that it is a crying shame that Jon Evans of the Dragons hasn't been included in the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Nalvidi is a really exciting prospect on this tour too. Sensible lad and a good rugby head on him. Captain for his first cap though??? Big call by the management there.

Agree,

I was amazed by his tackle count on scrum V - 14 tackles a game for every game he played this season (I wonder if they included appearances from the bench?)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I also agree that it is a crying shame that Jon Evans of the Dragons hasn't been included in the squad.

Wh...

Oh, forget it. Look, he may be the best at the Dragons, but do you really see him as a McBride type player? Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming the other scrum halfs in the squad are international class. I think Gareth Davies has had a very raw deal at the Scarlets this year, and don't start me on Knoyle...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I'd say Gareth Davies is the pick of your scrum halves, Glas.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri May 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I think so. It seems that sniping, opportunistic, rapid scrum halfs of the Peel mould are generally out of fashion.

picard
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Yup.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat May 18, 2013 6:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:The team I'd pick would be along the lines of

Bevington
Baldwin
Mitchell
Davies
King
Shingler
Nalvidi
Baker
Aled Davies
Biggar
Robinson
Shingler
Owen Williams
Prydie
Liam Williams

Gill over Bevington
Coombes over King

Rest as per yourself good self Maes
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The team I'd pick would be along the lines of

Bevington
Baldwin
Mitchell
Davies
King
Shingler
Nalvidi
Baker
Aled Davies
Biggar
Robinson
Shingler
Owen Williams
Prydie
Liam Williams
Gill over Bevington
Coombes over King

Rest as per yourself good self Maes

I'd really like to see King and Bevington get a run. An opportunity and experience much needed.

Obviously with the calibre if lads like Coombs and Gill in the squad, they have some handy alternatives. Of agree with that Coombs is the most likely lock to partner Brad. Just that Hames King offers an exciting alternative.

Saying that King could be a great bench player, like Coombs he has had plenty backrow and lock game time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

The final touring squad is due to be announced shortly isn't it?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm

The Saint wrote:The final touring squad is due to be announced shortly isn't it?

1 or 1.30 today I think
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 1:42 pm

13:00 I think they said.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Brad's the man for Wales

Cardiff Blues lock Bradley Davies will lead Wales in the forthcoming two-Test tour of Japan.

It's a chance for these players now to experience the international Test environment and put their marker down
The 26-year-old was named captain as Wales Head Coach for the Japan tour Robin McBryde reduced his initial training squad down to a 27-man touring party.

The squad includes nine uncapped players including Ospreys duo Dafydd Howells and Dan Baker and Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Props Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs) who all featured for Wales in the 2013 RBS 6 Nations are joined by Saracens' Rhys Gill and Rhodri Jones (Scarlets) while uncapped pair Emyr Phillips (Scarlets) and Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) are named as hookers.

Davies returns to the squad after missing the Six Nations campaign due to injury and is named alongside Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Lou Reed (Blues) and James King (Ospreys).

Baker, 20, who featured 25 times for Swansea in the Principality Premiership this season, joins Scarlets duo Aaron Shingler and Rob McCusker and Blues captain Andries Pretorius.

Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) are named at scrum-half alongside Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and Patchell at fly-half.

In the backline Ospreys trio Ashley Beck, Jonathan Spratt and 18-year-old Howells are joined by Blues duo Owen Williams and Harry Robinson, Liam Williams (Scarlets), Tom Prydie (Dragons) and Steven Shingler (London Irish).

Wales face Eddie Jones' Japan in Osaka on June 8th and then in Tokyo on June 15th and McBryde has been impressed with his squad over the past 10 days.
"We've had the training squad together for more than a week and we've been impressed," said McBryde. "They have really put the effort in and stepped up as we have asked them to. Everyone in the training squad put their hand up for selection making our jobs much harder.

"It's a chance for these players now to experience the international Test environment and put their marker down."

Wales Squad:
Forwards:
Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Lou Reed (Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andries Pretorius (Blues).

Backs: Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Blues), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Steven Shingler (London Irish).
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Who has been cut? I can only see Hobbs and the Scarlets SH (?)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm not sure, I'm not getting the sneaking suspicion that this ISNT the sqaud announcement Wales Tour of Japan - Page 3 3187153522
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

They discovered they'd named the wrong Davies.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Wait...

NO JOSH NAVIDI!!!

I have now lost all faith in Robin McBride
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Wales Training Squad
Forwards: Sam Hobbs (Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Blues).

Backs: Aled Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets)

Those are the players originally named who have been cut
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 21, 2013 2:30 pm

No Josh Nalvidi...?

He must have an injury

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Yeah, strange call otherwise
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 pm

wales606 wrote:Wait...

NO JOSH NAVIDI!!!

I have now lost all faith in Robin McBride

You had faith in McBride being in charge?

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:No Josh Nalvidi...?

He must have an injury

Haven't seen anything about an injury - if he isn't injured, I am shocked

Navidi has been fantastic this season, he is first choice for his region and has captained them! - compared to Baker, Howell etc who have barely played regional rugby!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Good grief! The caretaker's caretaker is worse still Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Oh dear. We're going to lose to Japan.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Can't for the life of me understand why Josh has been cut. Guess this is how the Dragons fans feel about Evans not being in the training squad.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Is he not in with a shot for the last Test ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 6:57 pm

munkian wrote:Is he not in with a shot for the last Test ?

Doubt they will be flying out injury replacements to a 2 test tour to Japan when they have a large squad - there would have to be a hell of an injury crisis
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Coleman wrote:Can't for the life of me understand why Josh has been cut. Guess this is how the Dragons fans feel about Evans not being in the training squad.

Not taking a 7 is daft. Navidi and Cudd both warrant call ups to be fair. I have little interest in this tour, at the minute.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

No injury for Navidi, just omitted. I would have taken him:

Wales: Robin McBryde admits Japan tour open-side 'gamble'

JAPAN V WALES
Venues: Hanazono Stadium, Osaka & Prince Chichibu Memorial Rugby Ground, Tokyo Dates: Saturdays 8 & 15 June, 2013 Kick-offs: 06:00 BST Coverage - First-Test: (Osaka) - Live on BBC One Wales, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru & online Coverage - Second Test : (Tokyo) - Live on S4C, BBC Radio Cymru, BBC Radio Wales & BBC online
Wales' Japan tour coach Robin McBryde admits omitting a specialist open-side flanker for the trip is a 'gamble'.
Wales' leading sevens Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric will be with the British and Irish Lions in Australia.
Warburton's Cardiff Blues colleague Josh Navidi was in contention to tour Japan, but has been omitted.

"Yes, it's a gamble. However, I think we've got enough within the make-up of the squad to be able to be more than combative," said McBryde.
Having covered the absence of Warburton and Tipuric for Wales against Scotland in the 2012 Six Nations, Scarlet Aaron Shingler is the pre-Japan-tour favourite to wear the number seven jersey.
But former Wales and Lions hooker McBryde says another Scarlet in Rob McCusker and uncapped Osprey James King's regional experience also make them potential open-side selections.
He also says that with Warburton and Tipuric leading Wales' open-side rankings, his back-row priority has centred on developing future strength in depth at number eight.
"Aaron Shingler has played well for us at seven," said McBryde.
Wales' Japan tour schedule
Sat, 8 June - Japan v Wales (Hanazono Stadium, Osaka)
Sat, 15 June - Japan v Wales (Prince Chichibu Memorial Rugby Ground, Tokyo)
"I know James King has had experience there, as has Rob McCusker.
"There's one eye on the present and one eye on the future. There's no out-and-out seven, but we've got two current world class open-sides away with the Lions.
"We need to build a bit of depth as far as our eight position is in question.
"It's a tough call on Josh Navidi. He was good for us in the Six Nations in a training environment, as he has been in this squad as well."
Explaining versatile back-five forward Ryan Jones's absence from the Japan trip, McBryde said: "It would have been an easy decision to bring Ryan.
"But I didn't think in the bigger picture we were going to do him any favours by bringing him along."
McBryde is in charge of Wales in the absence of Lions coach Warren Gatland and his assistants for the three-Test series against the Wallabies, Robert Howley and Neil Jenkins.
Wales face Japan in Osaka on Saturday, 8 June and again seven days later in Tokyo.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Insane
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Coleman wrote:Can't for the life of me understand why Josh has been cut. Guess this is how the Dragons fans feel about Evans not being in the training squad.

Not taking a 7 is daft. Navidi and Cudd both warrant call ups to be fair. I have little interest in this tour, at the minute.

Agreed.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed May 22, 2013 12:11 am

What i get out of that McBryde interview is that they will basically be playing two 8's or two 6's to develop the strength in depth. We are lucky to have two very good 7's. But Josh could be better than Sam. I know the Welsh public love Sam but Josh's form this season has been better them Sam's breakthrough season.

Last edited by Coleman on Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

Coleman wrote:What i get out of that McBryde interview is that they will basically be playing two 8's or two 6's to develop the strength in depth. We are lucky to have two very good 7's. But Josh could be better the Sam. I know the Welsh public love Sam but Josh's form this season has been better them Sam's breakthrough season.

And Josh has been excellent at 6 this season aswell!

He was the best 7 and second best 6 named in the squad (behind Shingler)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

Ohhh well, more rest for him. With the chances that Sam will be out for the first half of the season recovering from the Lions, Josh will have a good rest period over the summer and hopfully continue his form next season. It's not like we're in danger of him playing for Iran over Wales :/

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 am

It's not a ridiculous situation but considering we had enough injuries in two positions at the same time this season the quantity of talent with experience is vital.

That said you can see his point regarding us lacking experience at eight.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 am

Don't really understand how Dafydd Howells has ended up with the senior welsh squad whilst Corry Allen who already has two years of under 20 rugby under his belt plus 7s experience is still with the under 20s. Doesn't make any sense.

Also, how is Dan Baker able to leap frog Morgan Allen at the Ospreys straight into the welsh squad?

There are probably another 15 players left at home who would give this team a pasting.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 am

Scrumdown wrote:Don't really understand how Dafydd Howells has ended up with the senior welsh squad whilst Corry Allen who already has two years of under 20 rugby under his belt plus 7s experience is still with the under 20s. Doesn't make any sense.

Also, how is Dan Baker able to leap frog Morgan Allen at the Ospreys straight into the welsh squad?

There are probably another 15 players left at home who would give this team a pasting.

Allen isn't a winger :/

Agree about Allen though
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 am

Scrumdown wrote:Don't really understand how Dafydd Howells has ended up with the senior welsh squad whilst Corry Allen who already has two years of under 20 rugby under his belt plus 7s experience is still with the under 20s. Doesn't make any sense.

You're absolutely right. Although I also think that Sevens and U20 rugby should be given high priority. Both Patchell and Allen should be in France with the U20s while the Union should be doing everything they can to help the Sevens team prepare for the world cup.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed May 22, 2013 10:18 am

wales606 wrote:

Allen isn't a winger :/

Agree about Allen though

Aye and people were questioning the decision to select Coombs for the Six Nations, after a couple of weeks they were recommending him for the Lions.

Never any selectorial faith in this management team but more often than not the critics are proved wrong.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat May 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Japan were pretty singly beaten by Tonga today. Didn't show too much that will worry this welsh squad, even though they are missing 20 or so regulars.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 27, 2013 8:47 am

Just watched the England vs Barbarians game. The welsh youngsters have a lot to prove on this tour. England have some very talented young players in waiting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 pm

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/26933.php#.UaSNQuBTN_8

With Mike Phillips on British & Irish Lions duty, Williams will battle it out with Tavis Knoyle in the Far East.

And he is relishing the "huge opportunity" to make a lasting impression.

"We've been given a huge opportunity to show how well we can perform in Japan," said Williams.

"With Mike away, me and Tavis are going on tour looking for some serious game-time.

"It will be really competitive between us but whoever gets the nine jersey will be desperate to keep it.

"Me and Tav are good friends and we enjoy training alongside each other, but we will be pushing each other to make an impact this summer.

"I'm ambitious and I know that all areas of my game can improve.

"I'm sure that the forwards will provide me and the rest of the backs with enough quality ball to really express ourselves.

"The Welsh lads who are with the Lions have had their work cut out in preparing for Australia.

"But I'm sure while we are in Japan they will be looking over their shoulders at us and taking a special interest in who is playing in their position.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Beck and Shingler out of tour to Japan Adam Warren and Josh Nalvidi are in according to the Ospreys...

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/6364.php#.UaSc8-BTN_8

Ashley Beck has withdrawn from Wales' summer trip to Japan after picking up a groin injury.

The 23-year old centre, capped four times by Wales, sustained the injury while in training camp with the national squad and will remain behind when they depart for the two-test visit to Japan. He has been replaced in the squad by once capped Scarlets centre Adam Warren.

Aaron Shingler of the Scarlets has also withdrawn having failed to recover from a foot injury, with uncapped Blues flanker Josh Navidi replacing him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 pm

From the WRu

Cardiff Blues flanker Josh Navidi and Scarlets centre Adam Warren have been called into Wales' squad to tour Japan after Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) and Ashley Beck (Ospreys) were ruled out due to injury.

Shingler has failed to recover from a foot injury to take his place in the squad whilst Beck has picked up a groin injury.
Former Wales Under 20 captain Navidi, who was part Wales' RBS 6 Nations and Japan tour training squads, replaces Shingler.

Carmarthen born Warren, who made his international debut last summer against the Barbarians at the Millennium Stadium, has been training with the squad in recent weeks and comes in for Beck.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 pm

JOSH!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm

We finally have an Openside!

Pity it took the loss off our most experience forward and best Blindside

And we have also lost our only remaining capped centre

Jesus, they are dropping like flies, it will be an entirely uncapped team at this rate - it is going to be very inexperienced as it is.

We have to hope a fairly experienced 9-10 axis will see us through

1. Bevington
2. Phillips
3. Mitchell
4. Bradley (c)
5. Reed
6. Coombes
7. Navidi
8. Pretorious
9. Williams
10. Biggar
11. Robinson