The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Tour of Japan

+54
wayne
Impossible Standards
Sgt_Pooly
RDSguru
aucklandlaurie
doctor_grey
Scrumpy
Knowsit17
Aelandor
LeinsterFan4life
Duty281
Dontheman
GavinDragon
IanBru
kingjohn7
t1000advancedprototype
robbo277
Pal Joey
Rugby Fan
Biltong
Knackeredknees
Looseheaded
Cari
XR
HammerofThunor
international197
RubyGuby
mrzimmerman
iantobquick
LordDowlais
SubsBench
jimmyinthewell68
Norfolklass
Scrumdown
The Saint
Coleman
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
youngguns6
sirBiggles
maestegmafia
wales606
sickofwendy
munkian
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
glamorganalun
Shifty
welshboii15
mckay1402
Taffineastbourne
ScarletSpiderman
Glas a du
58 posters

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Go down

Wales Tour of Japan - Page 18 Empty Wales Tour of Japan

Post by Glas a du Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know there was a thread on this somewhere, but it's been swamped.

Wales Lions - likely replacements

Halfpenny - Liam Williams
Cuthbert - Walker, Robinson
Davies - Williams, Maule
Roberts - Beck, Hewitt
North - Owen Williams (gutted for Mike Poole)
Phillips - Aled Davies, Tavis Knoyle
Jenkins - Gill
Hibbard - Myhill
Jones - Mitchell
AW Jones - Lou Reed
Ian Evans - King, Kohn
Lydiate - Ieuan Jones
Warburton and Tipuric - Thomas
Faletau - Bearman

What do you think? Anybody else you'd like to see tour Japan?

Wales Training Squad:
Forwards: Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Sam Hobbs (Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Lou Reed (Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andries Pretorius (Blues), Josh Navidi (Blues).
Backs: Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Aled Davis (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Blues), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Steven Shingler (London Irish).

LATEST WRU PRESS RELEASE:

Wales Training Squad Update

Wales have called Cardiff Blues outside half Rhys Patchell and Newport Gwent Dragons hooker Sam Parry into their training squad for the tour of Japan but Scarlets fly-half Rhys Priestland has been ruled out of the tour.

Priestland aggravated his Achilles tendon in the warm-up of the Scarlets’ RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final on Friday evening and will miss the two-test tour.

Patchell, 19, who has scored 147 points in 22 appearances for the Blues this season and Haverfordwest born Parry, joined up with the training squad when they met for the first time this morning.

Ken Owens, Scott Williams and Liam Williams who picked up knocks in the defeat to Ulster, will continue to be monitored by the National Squad medical team.

Rhys PATCHELL (CARDIFF BLUES - Uncapped)
DoB: 17.05.93. 6’2” / 1.88m. 14st 13lbs / 95kgs
International record: Uncapped

Sam PARRY (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS - Uncapped)
DoB: 17.12.91. 6’1” / 1.86m. 16st 11lbs / 107kgs
International record: Uncapped.

Further update:

Scott Williams out. Will not be replaced in the squad.

Further update:

Ken Owens confirmed out, won't be replaced. 27 man squad TBA.

Cheers Munkian:

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE WELSH RUGBY UNION:
WALES ANNOUNCE JAPAN TOUR SQUAD

Cardiff Blues lock Bradley Davies will lead Wales in the forthcoming two-test tour of Japan.

The 26-year-old was named captain as Head Coach for the Japan tour Robin McBryde reduced his initial training squad down to a 27-man touring party.

The squad includes nine uncapped players including Ospreys duo Dafydd Howells and Dan Baker and Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell.

Props Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues) and Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs) who all featured for Wales in the 2013 RBS 6 Nations are joined by Saracens’ Rhys Gill and Rhodri Jones (Scarlets).

Uncapped pair Emyr Phillips (Scarlets) and Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) are named as hookers.

Davies returns to the squad after missing the Six Nations campaign due to injury and is named alongside Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Lou Reed (Blues) and James King (Ospreys).

Baker, 20, who featured 25 times for Swansea in the Principality Premiership this season, joins Scarlets duo Aaron Shingler and Rob McCusker and Blues captain Andries Pretorius.

Lloyd Williams (Blues) and Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets) are named at scrum-half alongside Dan Biggar (Ospreys) and Patchell at fly-half.

In the backline Ospreys trio Ashley Beck, Jonathan Spratt and 18-year-old Howells are joined by Blues duo Owen Williams and Harry Robinson, Liam Williams (Scarlets), Tom Prydie (Dragons) and Steven Shingler (London Irish).

Wales face Eddie Jones’ Japan in Osaka on June 8th and then in Tokyo on June 15th and McBryde has been impressed with his squad over the past ten days.

“We’ve had the training squad together for more than a week and we’ve been impressed,” said McBryde.

“They have really put the effort in and stepped up as we have asked them to. Everyone in the training squad put their hand up for selection making our jobs much harder.

“It’s a chance for these players now to experience the international test environment and put their marker down.
Wales Squad:

Forwards: Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Lou Reed (Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andries Pretorius (Blues).

Backs: Lloyd Williams (Blues), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Blues), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Blues), Tom Prydie (Dragons), Steven Shingler (London Irish).

Last edited by Glas a du on Tue 21 May 2013, 1:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Wales Tour of Japan - Page 18 Empty Re: Wales Tour of Japan

Post by international197 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

Griff wrote:The Barbarians ended on the 1st of June in Hong Kong. Wales played Japan on the 8th, just down the road in Japan. Baa Baas players could easily have linked up with the squad and trained for almost a week ahead of the first test. Not a good enough reason IMO.
The Barbarians played England on the 26th May, the Lions on the 1st of June. Wales played Japan on the 8th of June and the 15th of June. I think we'd be asking too much of James Hook, Duncan Jones, Matthew Rees, Paul James and Dwayne Peel to commit to so many internationals within such a short time scale. I also believe it's completely  unfair on players who have been training for the Wales trip to Japan for weeks for these players to turn up a few days before the test and start.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm

Griff wrote:The Barbarians ended on the 1st of June in Hong Kong. Wales played Japan on the 8th, just down the road in Japan. Baa Baas players could easily have linked up with the squad and trained for almost a week ahead of the first test. Not a good enough reason IMO.
The Barbarians played England on the 26th May, the Lions on the 1st of June. Wales played Japan on the 8th of June and the 15th of June. I think we'd be asking too much of James Hook, Duncan Jones, Matthew Rees, Paul James and Dwayne Peel to commit to so many internationals within such a short time scale. I also believe it would have been completely unfair on Welsh players who had been training for the Wales trip to Japan for weeks for the Barbarian players to just turn up a few days before the test and start.

Last edited by international197 on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

The Baa Baas is invitational. We could have given those players the option. I'm sure most would have chosen their country over the Baa Baas. But if not, then no harm done. But, I get the feeling they signed up to the Baa Baas as they were snubbed by Wales (left out of the original squad announcement). It's funny how it seems they were fit enough to play 2 games for the Baa Baas but too tired to play 2 games for Wales (according the the welsh management 'rested' terminology).

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

I think playing England and the British & Irish Lions for the Barbarians is a greater honor than playing for Wales against Japan. If I was a professional rugby player with that option, I would have chosen the Barbarians over Wales on this occasion so if Paul James, Duncan Jones, Dwayne Peel, Matthew Rees and James Hook did that; I can understand their decision.

Last edited by international197 on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:23 pm

Being a barbarian is not a commitment, it's a last resort option for those not involved in national teams. The idea that a player couldn't be selected for a national team because they were selected for Barbarians is laughable and completely the wrong way round.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:23 pm

In response to International: They weren't given the option; that's the point.

Last edited by Griff on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:24 pm

international197 wrote:I think playing England and the British & Irish Lions for the Barbarians is a greater honor than playing for Wales against Japan. If I was a professional rugby player with that option, I would have chosen the Barbarians over Wales on this occasion so if Paul James, Duncan Jones, Dwayne Peel, Matthew Rees and James Hook did the same; I can understand their decision.

Personally I wouldn't want any such person playing or my country.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:32 pm

Do you have proof that they weren't given that option? McBryde may have phoned Hook and asked him if he wanted to play for Wales against Japan and Hook says sorry, he's already committed to the Babas against the B & I Lions. Truth is, you have no proof, truth is we'll never truly know.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

True, for some we'll never know. But for others that the welsh management told us were resting (Paul James, R Jones) then we know that they we not asked (by Wales).

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

international197 wrote:I think playing England and the British & Irish Lions for the Barbarians is a greater honour than playing for Wales against Japan.
Anyone who thinks that has their priorities very badly confused. The fact the games were against Japan is irrelevant. You don't think about the opposition when given the opportunity to win a cap. If you are out of favour, it's the chance to state your case and show yourself to be a real team player. Turn the offer down, and your chances of furthering your international career will take a knock.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Although this report says that those players were rested by McBryde*

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22928159

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:39 pm

And this one *

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22362138

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:58 am

To pick the Baa Baas (as much as I love the concept) over your Country in any game is totally wrong in my opinon.

As a little aside Sky have been running various Lions programmes on and watched the 89 trip last night, in it they were talking to Ieuan Evans and he was asked was winning the 89 Lions Series the proudest moment of his carear.

He bluntly and proudly answered no, whilst it was great achievement captaining and playing for his Country was and always will be his proudest moment, well said Ieuan.

As I said earlier, this debacle and it was one, would be a bit more acceptable if mcBryde and Co just admitted they got it wrong rather than hiding behind the 'they will learn banner'.

Can he gaurantee they will learn, after all and being realistic when is the next time a lot of that side will be involved with Wales again?  A lot will go into the one cap wonder bracket.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:25 am

I watched it Bedford and that comment by Evans stood out for me. There's something here about the more senior players either being overlooked or disinterested for what was a relatively low key game in their minds. Unfortunately their presence was badly required to help develop the young talent and we have to change this apathetic culture from all concerned. Hook, James and even Bishop for me would have added a much needed back bone. Those at the top are responsible and let's face it the likes of McBryde, Mark Jones and Bradley Davies do not have great CV's when it comes to coaching and captaining and in essence they were or are out of their depth, even against Japan who had the much smarter Eddie Jones at the helm. We were lucky to win the first test as well yet failed to learn from that thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:27 am

Mark Jones is skills coach isn't he? From what i remember, the only skill he had was slipping over.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Dontheman wrote:Ok  so it was a development tour in all but name. So? Taking on a well organised battle hardened team in their own backyard at 30+ degrees. And by sheer guts and determination drawing  a closely fought series. Whilst their big brothers were away in Oz. I am proud of them. I hope all these gloomy  b*ggers on here brighten up when the Boks come calling in November and we'll really have something to play for and the firepower to do it

Don't you think defending our unbeaten record against Japan was 'something to play for'? Doesn't it bother you that we've lost that record, and that if we'd given them the respect they deserve by picking our strongest squad available, we might still have it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

No, I'm not proud of our 3rd string for drawing a series in Japan 1-1. Japan have never beaten a side in the top10 before (1st,2nd or 3rd fecking string).

Even with the team put out, they created enough chances to win the game - handling errors and poor decisions saw they didnt come close to finishing them - down to the players.

The defence was terrible - lets make no mistakes about it, watching players fall off tackles like that disgusted me - again down to the players.

Poor captaincy from Davies (quite dissapointed by that as I'm a Davies fan!) - down to him, no-one else could make hsi decisions and not fire-up his young inexpereinced team.

And now Patchell/Navidi & co have been involved in they're first wales games with a historic loss - yes, thats great player management/development - down to the management.

For fecksake. There's no words - that was poor all over.

Kudos to Japan for a deserved victory - now I want us to go down there with a full team and show them what international rugby is actually all about. raspberry

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:27 am

Comfort wrote:Japan have never beaten a side in the top10 before (1st,2nd or 3rd fecking string).

Perhaps not in a capped international, but they did beat a Scotland XV which had more experience than the Welsh team which just lost.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/22161.html

Funnily enough, the match was in 1989 and took place while some leading Scots were off on a Lions tour in Australia.

Some older Japanese rugby supporters feel there is some justice in having knocked off the Welsh in a test match. They still blame Clive Norling for denying them a win over a high quality England XV in 1979. Details here:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/13/the-one-that-got-away-when-japan-nearly-toppled-england-in-1979/

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

Rugby, I think that cements my point.

You have to go back to 1989 to get a win of any notice for Japan and it was over a second rate scottish side that wasn't deemed good enough to make the match a capped test....

that second link is a good read! OK

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:As a little aside Sky have been running various Lions programmes on and watched the 89 trip last night, in it they were talking to Ieuan Evans and he was asked was winning the 89 Lions Series the proudest moment of his carear.

He bluntly and proudly answered no, whilst it was great achievement captaining and playing for his Country was and always will be his proudest moment, well said Ieuan.

Do you think the likes of George North, Daniel Lydiate, Sam Warbuton, Jamie Roberts, Jon Davies, Ian Evans, Alun Wyn Jones, Alex Cuthbert, Leigh Halfpenny, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Mike Phillips and Gethin Jenkins should have refused to tour with the Lions in order to play for Wales?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

Comfort wrote:You have to go back to 1989 to get a win of any notice for Japan and it was over a second rate scottish side that wasn't deemed good enough to make the match a capped test....

Look again at who was in that Scottish line-up:

Sean Lineen
Iwan Tukalo
Douglas Wyllie
Alex Brewster
Jim Hay
Damian Cronin
Derek Turnbull
Iain Paxton

It wasn't a full Test because teams weren't in the habit of handing out caps the way we do today, not because of the quality of the personnel. The England XV which just squeaked past Japan ten years before was even stronger.

Actually, that's one problem with international statistics. Some games have dropped through the cracks because they weren't capped even when we would expect them to be today.

One of the oddest, is a game Wales played at Cardiff against New Zealand in November 1974. Both sides were at full strength but caps couldn't be awarded because, officially, the All Blacks were touring Ireland and the game was a midweek fixture scheduled between an Ireland Test and a Barbarians game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_New_Zealand_rugby_union_tour_of_Ireland,_Wales_and_England

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18