The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont v Munster

+56
logie28
majesticimperialman
westisbest
Allty
lostinwales
mankiaow
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
maestegmafia
asoreleftshoulder
thebluesmancometh
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Feckless Rogue
tatterd
bsando
Looseheaded
Ozzy3213
wales606
wolfball
Gibson
Thomond
Portnoy's Complaint
LeinsterFan4life
ME-109
Sin é
dublin_dave
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Golden
Gretgael1
MDB
Artful_Dodger
Notch
The Boss
Don Alfonso
Kingshu
RuggerRadge2611
LondonTiger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Jenifer McLadyboy
profitius
red_stag
Intotouch
brennomac
ChequeredJersey
debaters1
whocares
Mickado
beshocked
SecretFly
GunsGerms
VinceWLB
Standulstermen
Taffineastbourne
rodders
sensisball
BlueMuff
60 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Clermont v Munster - Page 2 Empty Clermont v Munster

Post by BlueMuff Mon 22 Apr 2013, 3:48 am

First topic message reminder :

27 Apr 2013 - Stade de la Mosson in Montpellier 5pm

Munster: F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; R O’Gara, C Murray; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D Ryan, P O’Connell capt; P O’Mahony, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley.

ASM team:

1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili, 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire©️, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne.

Remplaçants : 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci ou Skrela.

Munster have not a snowballs chance in hell of winning this in all reality. Clermont are on something of a destiny mission to win the HC after being the nearly men for 4 years. Heartbreaking defeat to Leinster last year in the semi final will be the extra motivation not that they need it.

They are unbeaten in 59 games at the Stade Marcel Michelin (albeit not playing there this weekend but are still the home team), just hammered Toulouse 37 12 and even managed to draw away to Toulon the week before 26 26.

They have one of the biggest budgets in European Rugby if not the biggest. So much so they were able to rest 12 of the HC QF team against Toulouse. Power, pace agression all over the park. Only positive is that Rougerie and Brock James are doubtful.

Munster will probably name same team that beat Quins (unless Dougie and Earls are back which looks unlikely).

A massive invasion of the Red Amry is underway with Munster looking for 5,000 tickets (double that of Leinster request last year Very Happy ) and with Sponsors etc it might be even more than that.

Time to unleash the Dogs of War - C'Mon Munster SUAF

Last edited by BlueMuff on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Munster team named)

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Munster - Page 2 Empty Re: Clermont v Munster

Post by SecretFly Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

LondonTiger wrote:

It is not an impossible goal - but even if Munster perform the best they have done this season they still need Clermont to be under par.

Ahh not so sure about that at all, Tiger. Much too much worshipping at the feet of the Almighty Clermont is going on in the last number of years...as issue after issue after incident after a bout of more bad luck stopped them being the invincible side everyone always thinks they are before they actually play the game.

Play the game. If they can't beat Munster, or if Munster manage to turn them over, that'll be Munster. Munster are too 'ordinary' a side - on paper - to be hitting strokes of absolute great luck just when they need them. If they do Clermont, it'll be because Clermont are once again not as good as their apostles claim they are, and Munster aren't really as bad as the doomsayers claim them to be.

But yes, if continues to be a big IF.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:44 am

SecretFly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

It is not an impossible goal - but even if Munster perform the best they have done this season they still need Clermont to be under par.

Ahh not so sure about that at all, Tiger. Much too much worshipping at the feet of the Almighty Clermont is going on in the last number of years...as issue after issue after incident after a bout of more bad luck stopped them being the invincible side everyone always thinks they are before they actually play the game.

Play the game. If they can't beat Munster, or if Munster manage to turn them over, that'll be Munster. Munster are too 'ordinary' a side - on paper - to be hitting strokes of absolute great luck just when they need them. If they do Clermont, it'll be because Clermont are once again not as good as their apostles claim they are, and Munster aren't really as bad as the doomsayers claim them to be.

I don't agree. Clermont ARE the real deal, they've swept away all before them so far in this cup and are by a long way the hot favourites to lift the cup. Munster lost 2 away games in the pool and have only really had 1 good away performance all season (a bloody good one mind you).

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:01 am

Clermont Auvergne top of the top 14 H-cup semi finalists and semi finalists last year, finished second in top 14 and lost play off against Toulon. I'd say makes them the real deal.

Munster are massive underdogs, but I think everyone will be willing a Munster win.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

Kingshu wrote:Clermont Auvergne top of the top 14 H-cup semi finalists and semi finalists last year, finished second in top 14 and lost play off against Toulon. I'd say makes them the real deal.

Munster are massive underdogs, but I think everyone will be willing a Munster win.

The weekend before last they sent their second string to Toloun and got a draw, last week they hockied Tolouse. They're on a hot streak.

Still tho - COME ON MUNSTERRRRRRRRR!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Mickado wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I don't agree. Clermont ARE the real deal, they've swept away all before them so far in this cup and are by a long way the hot favourites to lift the cup. Munster lost 2 away games in the pool and have only really had 1 good away performance all season (a bloody good one mind you).

I'm lucky then that I still agree with myself, Mick. Wink Much too much universal oohing and aahing for my liking. That in itself feeds into the minds of sides that meet them and I sure hope most of the Munster players think it's overdone too. Mostly though, I'd like them to actually prove it. Clermont have had four or five chances to prove they're the real deal and up till now they've always fluffed their lines. The real deal is Champions. Maybe this year the bad luck will end for them and they'll get the real deal Cup. Wink Hope not though....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:18 am

Ok, they are the real deal but they have to prove it now by winning the HC. Failure to do so is just that, failure. When it is your time it is NOT given to you. You tear it from the hands of the pretenders. Clermont haven't done that yet.

They lost a home Semi last year to an EXCELLENT Leinster side, but as excellent as Leinster were and as tight as the game ultimately was, they lost. Munster, Leicester, Leinster and even Toulouse beat teams and won matches in the big games when they were not the favourites to do so. That is how you create your legend (ligind) by self actualising, indeed, group super-actualisation.

They have the grunt, they have the guile, they have the coach to win but do they have the steal jaw to take the hits, to weather the storms, to answer the doubts in the final 10 mins when they need to close out a win or get that winning try? Hopefully we'll find out on Saturday. One way or the other.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

debaters1 wrote:They have the grunt, they have the guile, they have the coach to win but do they have the steal jaw to take the hits, to weather the storms, to answer the doubts in the final 10 mins when they need to close out a win or get that winning try? Hopefully we'll find out on Saturday. One way or the other.

Do 2013 Munster have any of those things?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:27 am

Don, the answer is almost certainly no. With varying degrees of emphasis. So if Clermont stumble over us, they'll have done so against the worst Munster team ever to reach a semi. Thus proving the doubters point. No shame in losing to Leinster last season given their extensive offensive weaponry and miserly defence. Losing to Munster on Saturday would be shameful, to an extent, given our current limitations and comparitively callow side.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:Unleash Peter O'Mahony et al to start a big punch up in the first few minutes to rattle Clermont.

I wouldnt fancy POMs chances v Bonnaire, Hines, Cudmore, Vosloo or even Morgan Parra.

He just needs to start it Guns. Paulie will finish it Wink Or ROG?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:36 am

It's all been said- Munster need Clermont Auvergne to play below par to have a chance. If ASM play to their potential, they will win regardless of what Munster bring.

Obviously all the pressure is off Munster and on Clermont. Therefore Munster can play their most niggly, suffocating brand of rugby in the knowledge that if Clermont don't get the expected dominance the doubts will be sown in the back of their mind... Munster have nothing to lose and nothing else to play for this season other than this game. Dangerous beasts then.

But Munster need a perfect game and Clermont an off day for any kind of upset to happen. I think Munster will make ASM work for it but class will eventually out and win the day.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

Notch I agree that Clermont should and probably will win.

However if Munster win, I think peoples opinion of Clermont will diminish and maybe people wont think they are as good as they were made out to be.

They have not delivered at semi final stage in the past and I think those questions marks will only grow if they lose on Sat.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm

Clermont are overrated. Leinster beat them in France last year and Ulster should have beaten them home and away. In fact their record against Irish provinces isn't great full stop.

It will take a vintage Munster performance bristling with passion, commitment and canny hoorness but this isn't mission impossible.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:28 am

Ah Rodders, it is Mission Impossible, we're just building it up for when we win. I mean, Paulie started it about 60 seconds after the whistle in the Quins match with his gambit that Clermont were only delighted that it was us they'd be playing.

Flatter to deceive. Wink

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:03 am

rodders wrote:Clermont are overrated. Leinster beat them in France last year and Ulster should have beaten them home and away. In fact their record against Irish provinces isn't great full stop.

It will take a vintage Munster performance bristling with passion, commitment and canny hoorness but this isn't mission impossible.

Eh? On what grounds are Clermont overrated?

Their pack is almost a war crime. They are without a doubt the most physical unit I can remember. Their Scrum is water tight. Domingo, Kayser and Zirkashvilli absolutely destroyed the very powerful Toulouse pack last weekend. Behind them Cudmore and Hines are both abrasive and dynamic and pilfer opposition lineouts at will, and behind that you have a physical and very capable backrow lead by Bonnaire who IMO would still get a start for France had he not retired and backed up by other starts like Vosloo. IMO their pack is comfortably the best in the NH.

Behind them you have IMO the best Scrum Half in the world with Morgan Parra who bosses that pack around like Napoleon Bonnaparte and steer's that ginat yellow steam roller around the park just waiting to unleash one of the best back set ups in the world with elusive centres like Fofanna and the wrecking ball 13 in the shape of Aurelian Rougerie. They also have potent strike runners like Byrne from fullback and Nlaga and Sivivatu on the wings.

yeah really overrated Rodders! Shocked
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:19 am

Byrne, Rougerie and Sivavatu are journeymen. Ulster battered their pack from pillar to post last season.

Come on Mick you're loosing the run of yerself!

Munster are just being coy as usual Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:24 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
rodders wrote:Clermont are overrated. Leinster beat them in France last year and Ulster should have beaten them home and away. In fact their record against Irish provinces isn't great full stop.

Their pack is almost a war crime. They are without a doubt the most physical unit I can remember. Their Scrum is water tight. Domingo, Kayser and Zirkashvilli absolutely destroyed the very powerful Toulouse pack last weekend. Behind them Cudmore and Hines are both abrasive and dynamic and pilfer opposition lineouts at will, and behind that you have a physical and very capable backrow lead by Bonnaire who IMO would still get a start for France had he not retired and backed up by other starts like Vosloo. IMO their pack is comfortably the best in the NH.

Behind them you have IMO the best Scrum Half in the world with Morgan Parra who bosses that pack around like Napoleon Bonnaparte and steer's that ginat yellow steam roller around the park just waiting to unleash one of the best back set ups in the world with elusive centres like Fofanna and the wrecking ball 13 in the shape of Aurelian Rougerie. They also have potent strike runners like Byrne from fullback and Nlaga and Sivivatu on the wings.

I suppose you could look at how much they've won. The best players don't always make the best team.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:30 am

profitius wrote:
I suppose you could look at how much they've won. The best players don't always make the best team.

Same could be said for the All Black RWC chokers!

Clermont are a serious force to be reckoned with and have class all over the park. I like to see Munster do well, they are my prefered Irish province but I just can't see it happening.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:39 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Like Profitius says........they have all that...except Cups. They had all that in previous years...without Cups.

They were the 'superstars', according to Sky commentators, when they met Leinster last year in a semi-final. Leinster, twice winners at that time, were still the ordinary guys who had to go slay the superstar giants to get something they'd been getting for a few years by then.
Perceptions, Radge.

Clermont are overrated in the sense that their reputation is not new, it's been built on over the years. They have the ammo - everyone mentions the ammo - yet they're still having to wait a long time to win the war.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:51 am

The sides that have beaten them in the past have had more obvious weapons than Munster at the moment though. And I don't think their form has ever been as good as it has this year. If they lose this year, it will be a huge psychological blow for their future crunch matches
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:59 am

Clermont game has been much better in the last 2 month that anytime in the last 3 years. They have improved. a lot.

of course they have a rather empty trophy room and have been underachieving but it doesnt affect the quality of their side and how they play.

Now to call last year leinster a bunch of "ordinary guys" is not just bad perception but also seriously poor wumming Laugh

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:00 am

If Munster win this match they deserve huge plaudits. ASM are better this year than when the European Champions beat them last year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:14 am

whocares wrote:Clermont game has been much better in the last 2 month that anytime in the last 3 years. They have improved. a lot.

of course they have a rather empty trophy room and have been underachieving but it doesnt affect the quality of their side and how they play.

Now to call last year leinster a bunch of "ordinary guys" is not just bad perception but also seriously poor wumming Laugh

Well it was Sky doing the wumming then Wink

I was laughing that the time that the double Champs, in the running for their third title, were considered the....well, yeah, they're here again this year, those Dublin ladylads....*yawn*

......but look at them Clermont lads!!!! *saliva dripping from the lips, eyes popping out of sockets*...now them lot are bloomin' gorgeous. Them fellas are genuine A-Gade stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said it at the time, just how many HC wins does a team need before their players get to be called 'stars'? Laugh

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:28 am

SecretFly wrote:
whocares wrote:Clermont game has been much better in the last 2 month that anytime in the last 3 years. They have improved. a lot.

Well it was Sky doing the wumming then Wink

I was laughing that the time that the double Champs, in the running for their third title, were considered the....well, yeah, they're here again this year, those Dublin ladylads....*yawn*

......but look at them Clermont lads!!!! *saliva dripping from the lips, eyes popping out of sockets*...now them lot are bloomin' gorgeous. Them fellas are genuine A-Gade stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said it at the time, just how many HC wins does a team need before their players get to be called 'stars'? Laugh

Ah in fairness Sky loved Leinster too, Stuart Barnes referred to us as "the high kings of Europe" on more than one occasion.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:48 am

Mickado wrote:

Ah in fairness Sky loved Leinster too, Stuart Barnes referred to us as "the high kings of Europe" on more than one occasion.

Ah, he wanted a new boyband poster on his wall though, Mick. He already has all Leinster's best albums and autographs and stuff.

Clermont.................... *Homeresque stare of desire*. Yeah, I think he's for moving on to the new kids on the block.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:53 am

Bookies are offering 6/1 on Munster which is pretty unprecedented for a HC semi final. I might have a wee go at that.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:55 am

yes that odd would certainly tempt me as well Artful_Dodger.

edit : Munster by 5 or less is shown at 8/1. might go for that one.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:21 am

Unfortunately all of Munsters passion and fire is not going to get them through this one. I wouldnt be going near them at 6/1. Can see them getting absolutely torn apart by Clermont who are the most complete team I can remember seeing in the history of the Heineken cup. I just dont see anywhere that Munster have an edge. Clermont are the complete side

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:37 am

Clermont starting flyhalf is a bit of unknown though (with Mike Delany not qualified and Brock James just back from injury). So Munster has a sort of edge there.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:23 am

MDB wrote:Unfortunately all of Munsters passion and fire is not going to get them through this one. I wouldnt be going near them at 6/1. Can see them getting absolutely torn apart by Clermont who are the most complete team I can remember seeing in the history of the Heineken cup. I just dont see anywhere that Munster have an edge. Clermont are the complete side

Breakdown and lineout (if Sherry starts) for starters. Maul maybe and possibly defense too. Munsters pack is the key once again and I could see them getting the upper hand but Clermont have a stronger bench.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:30 am

With Bonnaire, Hines and Cudmore I dont think that Munster will have an advantage at the Lineout. Bonnaire for me is the best back row lineout jumper along with Croft. I have also yet to see anyone out muscle the Clermont pack so dont see Munster having an advantage in the maul or in the pack in general. I would love to be wrong but this is a pretty grizzly Cermont pack, and while they are ageing, they have plenty to spring from the bench with the likes of Pierre and Debaty

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:12 am

Munster are huge underdogs but if there's one sport in the world that you can win games on sheer bloody determination and belief, it's Rugby. I know people will say is not enough against this clermont side but I still have a small flicker of hope.

Leinster could have turned them over this season in Clermont had their line out not had a meltdown. Munster are not as good as Leinster, but with the right game plan they might be able to get under Clermonts skin. If Munster get parity in the scrum they'll be happy and I think they can get the better of Clermont in the line out. As good as Bonnaire, Hines and Cudmore are, I think POC, Ryan and POM are a match in the air, maybe even better. They'll have to slow down the ball and give Clermont no continuity and then defend like their lives depend on it. Munster will get their points from the boot so rog can't afford to miss.

Sounds easy but you've got to hope Very Happy

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:18 am

Gretgael1 trying to wind them up could be a strategy that pays dividend. There are a few firey tempers in that team, so if they can get under Cudmore/Hines/Parras skin, they could have a bit of joy. Will be routing for Munster more so than I probably ever have before as I would love to see them do it, just cant see it happening.

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Gretgael1 wrote:Munster are huge underdogs but if there's one sport in the world that you can win games on sheer bloody determination and belief, it's Rugby. I know people will say is not enough against this clermont side but I still have a small flicker of hope.

I think a good game to see the limitations of just determination and belief that was the recent clash between Connacht and Ulster in the Pro12. Connacht were like madmen, smashing everything and dumping some of our big forwards behind the gain line. They got a try by hassling Pienaar into a bad decision and gave us nothing easily. But Parks put 2 restarts out on the full, he missed touch in our corner with a penalty, they lost a few lineouts in their own half and kicked loosely from hand a few times. And Ulster ripped them apart off a few turnovers. The physicality and intensity was there for Connacht to spring an upset, but it wasn't backed up by the necessary accuracy.

We talk about Munster winning games on passion and intensity in their heyday, but what they had that the current Munster side has lacked this season is ruthless accuracy. They would go through games with exceptionally low error counts- sometimes by taking lower risk options, but they really looked after the ball and they were clinical in everything they did. Sides with more abundant talent made more mistakes than them or conceded more penalties and lost out by fine margins. They were just supreme at looking after the ball.

Just passion and hard work won't be enough- if Clermont get their game rolling. Say Clermont get a soft try in the first few minutes; it could get very ugly because they'll get that early boost of confidence. Munster have to delay that first score as long as possible, even edge ahead themselves, and to do that it has to be a completely mistake free performance. No loose kicking from hands, no passes hitting the ground, no knock ons that will give the Clermont scrum time to tire out Munsters pack, no mistakes at the lineout or restart whatsoever, no penalties in their own half. The longer Clermont have to wait for their first score, for the first opportunity to really move the ball or build pressure in the Munster half, the more the weight of expectation on them will grow and grow. And, Munster hope, it will start to affect them mentally and mistakes will creep into their game.

If Munster want to win this game they have to come up with a gameplan that will stop Clermont playing the game on their terms and then execute it flawlessly- AND bring all that belief and determination. It's a curious thing, because under Penney Munster have played a style that is very adventurous and has come with a high error count. Thats likely to see a slaughter. Will we see a completely different Munster gameplan this weekend? I think so, probably.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

Notch wrote:
Gretgael1 wrote:Munster are huge underdogs but if there's one sport in the world that you can win games on sheer bloody determination and belief, it's Rugby. I know people will say is not enough against this clermont side but I still have a small flicker of hope.

I think a good game to see the limitations of just determination and belief that was the recent clash between Connacht and Ulster in the Pro12. Connacht were like madmen, smashing everything and dumping some of our big forwards behind the gain line. They got a try by hassling Pienaar into a bad decision and gave us nothing easily. But Parks put 2 restarts out on the full, he missed touch in our corner with a penalty, they lost a few lineouts in their own half and kicked loosely from hand a few times. And Ulster ripped them apart off a few turnovers. The physicality and intensity was there for Connacht to spring an upset, but it wasn't backed up by the necessary accuracy.

We talk about Munster winning games on passion and intensity in their heyday, but what they had that the current Munster side has lacked this season is ruthless accuracy. They would go through games with exceptionally low error counts- sometimes by taking lower risk options, but they really looked after the ball and they were clinical in everything they did. Sides with more abundant talent made more mistakes than them or conceded more penalties and lost out by fine margins. They were just supreme at looking after the ball.

Just passion and hard work won't be enough- if Clermont get their game rolling. Say Clermont get a soft try in the first few minutes; it could get very ugly because they'll get that early boost of confidence. Munster have to delay that first score as long as possible, even edge ahead themselves, and to do that it has to be a completely mistake free performance. No loose kicking from hands, no passes hitting the ground, no knock ons that will give the Clermont scrum time to tire out Munsters pack, no mistakes at the lineout or restart whatsoever, no penalties in their own half. The longer Clermont have to wait for their first score, for the first opportunity to really move the ball or build pressure in the Munster half, the more the weight of expectation on them will grow and grow. And, Munster hope, it will start to affect them mentally and mistakes will creep into their game.

If Munster want to win this game they have to come up with a gameplan that will stop Clermont playing the game on their terms and then execute it flawlessly- AND bring all that belief and determination. It's a curious thing, because under Penney Munster have played a style that is very adventurous and has come with a high error count. Thats likely to see a slaughter. Will we see a completely different Munster gameplan this weekend? I think so, probably.

I'd agree with all of that but I did mention that a game plan was necessary, along with sheer bloody mindedness, and outlined a very simplistic one. Munster are not going to win this game by having POC out on the wing and playing an expansive game. In fact, I think the game plan they had against Quins would be ideal but, as we already know, Clermont are a different animal and lightning may not strike twice. Munster need to keep Clermont close on the scoreboard because they can't afford to chase the game. Everything needs to come together for Munster to win. It's a big ask, and probably won't happen but Munster will believe it's possible and that's important.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 24 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

Who are Munster missing for this one? Will sherry, POM, Howlett or Earls be fit?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

Howlett is out but earls and Doc are apparently winning their race to be fit.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:11 pm

Archer is out too, and thats worrying because BJ Botha doesn't look like an 80 minutes man these days and the Clermont scrum is a serious proposition.

I thought O'Callaghan was pretty much out of it?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

I read the other day that there was some positive news for DOC but on checking just now you're right, he's out of the squad. I'd imagine Billy Holland will replace him on the bench. Archer is a big loss, Munster don't have the strongest looking bench.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

I just read an article in equipe where it seems that James is still recovering from a thigh tear and has not played the last three matches for Clermont. There is no other 10 fit who can replace him. Screla is also injured and Delaney has not been cleared by the ERC.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Ca-n-ouvre-pas/365898

So there may actually be a chink in their armour.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Intotouch wrote:I just read an article in equipe where it seems that James is still recovering from a thigh tear and has not played the last three matches for Clermont. There is no other 10 fit who can replace him. Screla is also injured and Delaney has not been cleared by the ERC.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Ca-n-ouvre-pas/365898

So there may actually be a chink in their armour.

Hmmmm.... not so sure how much I'd believe in the phoney war period. I think Leinster became experts at the will he/won't he be playing...... well.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:42 pm

Jean Marcel Buttin at 10 for ASM?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 24 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

Parra at 10???

Agree with the long comment above. Munster cannot match asm for skill, accuracy or attacking potential. They have to hold ball, play mistake free, even if they are going nowhere they should hold the ball(dont let rog kick) to frustrate asm. It's harder to score when you don't have the ball.

This sounds bad but, in no world can munster play at clermonts level. They will have to drag clermnot down to theirs

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

More likely Ludovic Radosavljevic at 10 . he's actually a scrum half but recently played FH for a couple o games before Delany came in. He doesnt set the world alight but did a decent job.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:45 am

bad news continuing for Clermont : after Rougerie injury, Vosloo also caught something and will be out for 2 weeks. big blow for ASM as his workrate in the rucks will certainly be missed (hopefully they wont replace him with Julien Bardy who is the yellow card walking machine).
Apparently Brock James will start his 1st game since march though (with skrela on the bench).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:26 am

Munster team named! Only change is earls in for Hurley

Munster: F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; R O’Gara, C Murray; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D Ryan, P O’Connell capt; P O’Mahony, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:49 am

I think we have a chance. If we do win it will be have to be a mental victory.

Force Brock James into mistakes on the big stage. It has been done before; his big match mentality has not always been the best.

Get on the right side of Nigel Owens and lets see penalties and cards for the likes of Cudmore, Hines and Bardy.

First phase attacks are also important. Clermont hold the key once the game opens up. I'd like to see us use that move where Murray runs off the back of a lineout with a pass back inside to the winger.

Keep the ball tight and when we see a chance let Zebo and Earls do the damage on the wing when space does open up.

Its a difficult permutation to get right but if this happy cocktail comes together we can do it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:50 am

The west Cork Brigade of the IRA held off the might of the British empire in 1921. The Munster Brigade will need similar spirit tomorrow, at least they will not be out numbered even if they are out gunned. Take no prisoners. Ye can do it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:25 am

Clermont are an excellent side firm favourites BUT are not unbeatable.

I cannot see Munster getting steam rolled up front will be some battle between two decent packs. Bonnaire, Bardy, Chouly is a good back row but Munster are no mugs there and have a great balance to their back row. Even steven for me.

Will be an epic battle in the 2nd row sparks will fly. A few digs may be thrown but again pretty even on paper maybe slight advantage Munster

Clermont will have an edge in the front row and a big game needed from Kilcoyne in the scrum

Half backs - Advantage Clermont on this years form BUT we all know Brock James is liable to having an absolute nightmare on big occasions. If he is not fit and they go with the scrum half they will be weaker. ROG was not bad v Harlequins and the few occasions he played flat flung some good passes out. His goal kicking remains excellent especially when the pressure is on

Clermont have better outside backs and are rightly favourites but this is not a foregone conclusion. Dont mind cute whoors like Blue Muff, DOD etc.

Good Luck Munster lads and to those heading down have a blast

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 26 Apr 2013, 7:11 am

ASM team:

1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili, 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire©, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne.

Remplaçants : 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci ou Skrela.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 7:15 am

THat's a good team, seems the whole "James won't make it" thing was BS. And by good I mean incredible
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next