The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont v Munster

+56
logie28
majesticimperialman
westisbest
Allty
lostinwales
mankiaow
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
maestegmafia
asoreleftshoulder
thebluesmancometh
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Feckless Rogue
tatterd
bsando
Looseheaded
Ozzy3213
wales606
wolfball
Gibson
Thomond
Portnoy's Complaint
LeinsterFan4life
ME-109
Sin é
dublin_dave
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Golden
Gretgael1
MDB
Artful_Dodger
Notch
The Boss
Don Alfonso
Kingshu
RuggerRadge2611
LondonTiger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Jenifer McLadyboy
profitius
red_stag
Intotouch
brennomac
ChequeredJersey
debaters1
whocares
Mickado
beshocked
SecretFly
GunsGerms
VinceWLB
Standulstermen
Taffineastbourne
rodders
sensisball
BlueMuff
60 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Clermont v Munster - Page 3 Empty Clermont v Munster

Post by BlueMuff Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:48 am

First topic message reminder :

27 Apr 2013 - Stade de la Mosson in Montpellier 5pm

Munster: F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; R O’Gara, C Murray; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D Ryan, P O’Connell capt; P O’Mahony, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley.

ASM team:

1.Domingo, 2.Kayser, 3.Zirakashvili, 4.Cudmore, 5.Hines, 6.Bonnaire©️, 7.Bardy, 8.Chouly, 9.Parra, 10.James, 11.Nalaga, 12.Fofana, 13.King, 14.Sivivatu, 15.Byrne.

Remplaçants : 16.Paulo, 17.Debaty, 18.Ric, 19.Pierre, 20.Lapandry, 21.Radosavljevic, 22.Buttin, 23.Nakaitaci ou Skrela.

Munster have not a snowballs chance in hell of winning this in all reality. Clermont are on something of a destiny mission to win the HC after being the nearly men for 4 years. Heartbreaking defeat to Leinster last year in the semi final will be the extra motivation not that they need it.

They are unbeaten in 59 games at the Stade Marcel Michelin (albeit not playing there this weekend but are still the home team), just hammered Toulouse 37 12 and even managed to draw away to Toulon the week before 26 26.

They have one of the biggest budgets in European Rugby if not the biggest. So much so they were able to rest 12 of the HC QF team against Toulouse. Power, pace agression all over the park. Only positive is that Rougerie and Brock James are doubtful.

Munster will probably name same team that beat Quins (unless Dougie and Earls are back which looks unlikely).

A massive invasion of the Red Amry is underway with Munster looking for 5,000 tickets (double that of Leinster request last year Very Happy ) and with Sponsors etc it might be even more than that.

Time to unleash the Dogs of War - C'Mon Munster SUAF

Last edited by BlueMuff on Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Munster team named)

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Munster - Page 3 Empty Re: Clermont v Munster

Post by Mickado Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

National sides represented :

Georgia, Canada, Portugal, Wales, Fiji, NZ, Scotland, France

And Brock James the Aussie....

A diverse bunch of animals. But they won't like it up them.

MON MUNSTER!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

James wont certainly play the full 80 minutes but then he was the only viable option at 10 against a team like munster with Delany out. Hearing it might rain as well in Montpelier, wont help Clermont to play their usual game. Bardy is a great tackler but would be suprised if he doesnt get his usual yellow card.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

Seeing as when they have the ball Clermont are bound to target ROG, Munster should do the same with James. Get Coughlan to run at him at every opportunity (and POM, POC etc) but Coughland has a great nack for breaking the first up tackle as well as being a heavy guy and while james is no Dominguez, he is no Butch James either and doubt he'll fancy 50, 60 or 70 mins of being a an auxillary back row.

Murray is actually the key for me; I trust the pack to compete and be competitive, to spoil and slow down and pilfer and generally to bring what Axel would descirbe as "controlled fury" but Murray will have to be on his game to watch Parra and his snipping runs as well as tackling in wide open spaces & around the ruck area. He'll also have to do what he did against France too, control the game via his boot as well as knowing when to take the quick tap and try to exploit the gap and hopefully if tackled short that we can have the patience and precision to get over the line.

It is going to be tough for sure, but I live in hope.

To the Brave & Faithful, Nothing is Impossible.

C'MON MUNSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

The trouble with targeting James is Parra is one of the best and most proactive cover tacklers in the world and Coughlan may find himself cut down before he gets to James
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

If Munster come out like they did in the second half against Quins, they have a sniff. If they play like they did on their other away matches recently (Defeat to Dragons and thumped by Glasgow and Treviso) then it could be embarrassing.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

But we were pretty damn poor which helped Munster play like that
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

Against Treviso and Glasgow , Munster wanted to play a more expansive game and were punished by interceptions because some of their combinations were not excecuted properly. They didnt play that sort of game against Quins and doubt they will against ASM.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:15 pm

Can see Parra winding ROG up for the whole game. I think he needs more attention than James. He's their little general although maybe isnt as likely to lose the head

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:18 pm

whocares wrote:Against Treviso and Glasgow , Munster wanted to play a more expansive game and were punished by interceptions because some of their combinations were not excecuted properly. They didnt play that sort of game against Quins and doubt they will against ASM.

You're partially right I think, whocares. Neither did Munster play a typical reversal to absolute old style up-the-jumper stuff...if ever they actually totally indulged in that kind of game anyway. They've always had little packages of surprise invention to add to the grunt stuff.

It may not have been expansive on a big scale against Quins put it was total concentration, and used runners to do more penetrating and proding of defensive lines than their more typical back-tracking-into-old-style rugby might have predicted. A little of the old, a little of the new.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

Yes, Munster have tol try to play the game similar to that against Quins. Unfortunately the Clermont forwards are much stronger in both the tight and loose than Quins.

One possible chink in the armour is the omission, probably through injury, of Vosloo in the back row. However Bardy is a more than able replacement and he hasnt played for the last couple of weeks so will be raring to go.

Also the Clermont bench with Buttin and Nagatathi in the backs will inject massive threat once the Munster defence has tired. their forward subs including Debatey, Pierre and Lapandry are also quality and will raise the tempo once they are on.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

Just noticed Stander is in the 'A' team. Did Munster not register him for Europe?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

rodders wrote:Just noticed Stander is in the 'A' team. Did Munster not register him for Europe?

No he was never registered. Broke his finger early on the year and was ruled out. Then something funny seemed to happen as Sheridan and Dineen were registered. Maybe we needed cover in here but something seems odd. He has scored something like 7 tries in 9 games (not all started) but just seems out of favour.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:50 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
rodders wrote:Just noticed Stander is in the 'A' team. Did Munster not register him for Europe?

No he was never registered. Broke his finger early on the year and was ruled out. Then something funny seemed to happen as Sheridan and Dineen were registered. Maybe we needed cover in here but something seems odd. He has scored something like 7 tries in 9 games (not all started) but just seems out of favour.

No, he isn't out of favour. Just bad timing for a few things - mainly injuries to himself and to Earls and Strings going to Bath.
He is well settled in Munster now. This time next year we are going to have some competition in the backrow!

It also looks like his wife to be (who is back in SA at the moment) is opting to represent Ireland in swimming. She tweeted good luck to some of her Irish team mates who are competiting in some national competition at the weekend.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

Sin é wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:

No, he isn't out of favour. Just bad timing for a few things - mainly injuries to himself and to Earls and Strings going to Bath.
He is well settled in Munster now. This time next year we are going to have some competition in the backrow!

It also looks like his wife to be (who is back in SA at the moment) is opting to represent Ireland in swimming. She tweeted good luck to some of her Irish team mates who are competiting in some national competition at the weekend.

Maybe she wouldnt make the SA team?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

She has been already - missed the last Olympics through injury. Her brother has 3 gold medals for SA (from 3 different Olympics). I believe the 50m pool & high performance training in Limerick played a part in CJ coming to Munster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

Maybe/Probably Strauss wouldn't have made the SA team either.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

SecretFly wrote:Maybe/Probably Strauss wouldn't have made the SA team either.

She has represented South Africa (in Commonwealth games at least). She qualified for the Olympics and was on her way, but she injured her shoulder/got ill.

She is a bit of a stunner:

http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/avatars/jmneethling-1366628257_600.jpg
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

You excited about the match tomorrow Siné? Stupid question?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:58 pm

Sin é wrote:

She has represented South Africa (in Commonwealth games at least). She qualified for the Olympics and was on her way, but she injured her shoulder/got ill.

Yes she is quality. Hes too young to be married though. Schoolboy error.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:You excited about the match tomorrow Siné? Stupid question?

Yea. Really looking forward to it (not expecting a win mind - just hoping for a decent performance).

Its like being back in the early '00s again with a new Munster team beginning to emerge. If its a similar ride, its going to be fun.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Greetings from Carcassone...got free wifi in the hotel Yahoo ...arrived this morning with the missus and meeting a few of the lads in a while.....anyhow first trip for a few years and feeling giddy about it (not even had a drink yet). Was there in Bordeaux in 2000 and same feeling about this one...worried about a thumping but hopeful all the same....heading to Montpelier in the morning so need to make sure the hangover isn't too bad..weather looks like it wont be too hot so that's a positive at least....

Nothing more to say...enjoy the game lads...I certainly will....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

Sin é wrote:

Not really up on qualifications and all that as they relate to Olympic sport. But can she do that? Represent SA and then decide to represent Ireland?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

DOD wrote:Greetings from Carcassone...got free wifi in the hotel Yahoo ...arrived this morning with the missus and meeting a few of the lads in a while.....anyhow first trip for a few years and feeling giddy about it (not even had a drink yet). Was there in Bordeaux in 2000 and same feeling about this one...worried about a thumping but hopeful all the same....heading to Montpelier in the morning so need to make sure the hangover isn't too bad..weather looks like it wont be too hot so that's a positive at least....

For once...... Whistle I hope you have an absolutely brilliant time over there DOD. Wink 'Cause if you do, it'll mean the impossible happened!!!! I'll be genuinely the happiest I've been all year in rugby terms if they manage it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:
DOD wrote:Greetings from Carcassone...got free wifi in the hotel Yahoo ...arrived this morning with the missus and meeting a few of the lads in a while.....anyhow first trip for a few years and feeling giddy about it (not even had a drink yet). Was there in Bordeaux in 2000 and same feeling about this one...worried about a thumping but hopeful all the same....heading to Montpelier in the morning so need to make sure the hangover isn't too bad..weather looks like it wont be too hot so that's a positive at least....

For once...... Whistle I hope you have an absolutely brilliant time over there DOD. Wink 'Cause if you do, it'll mean the impossible happened!!!! I'll be genuinely the happiest I've been all year in rugby terms if they manage it.

3 weeks ago I was certain of the result, a Clermont win. But as the days have gone by the deluded part of my brain has worked its voodoo on my rational mind and I think we have a chance to pull of a huge upset. I like the team, though we'll miss Donners off the bench, and I think we can ask them some tough questions. Whether or not we can force them on to the back foot is another issue altogether but the longer we can hang in there, the more doubt will creep into their minds. Parra needs marshelling so Murray will have to be on top top top form and the back row (and whoever else has some French) needs to needle him and their back row as much as possible. The Locks are hot heads so while I doubt they'll explode, they'll be worked on all the same.

I'll be in Place de Komidie for lunch and the Leinster match circa 2pm local time. First trip away in some time. Fingers crossed!

Who else is going to be there?

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:56 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:You excited about the match tomorrow Siné? Stupid question?

Yea. Really looking forward to it (not expecting a win mind - just hoping for a decent performance).

Its like being back in the early '00s again with a new Munster team beginning to emerge. If its a similar ride, its going to be fun.

I do like Clermont too but obviously I hope Munster get the win. Irish rugby needs it. Plus the final being in Dublin needs some Irish representation for once.

Not since Ulster triumphed all those years ago has an Irish team been in a Dublin final. Think its bad luck having the final here.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

DOD & debaters1 - Mind the voice tonight - you'll need it tomorrow. 5,000 tickets gone for Munster anyway, so fair play to the supporters. DOD bring raingear (Paul Warwick has been on twitter telling Munster fans to bring a brolly!).

Have a great trip. Wish I was there. Sin é
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:03 pm

Id say there will be way more than 5000 there, knowing Munster fans Smile

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

Very jealous lads - do us proud!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Not really up on qualifications and all that as they relate to Olympic sport. But can she do that? Represent SA and then decide to represent Ireland?

Seemingly so. Ireland had a Polish canoeist Andrzej Jezierski representing Ireland at the Olympics in London and had already won 2 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 Bronze for Poland in the World Championships in 2003 & 2005.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Id say there will be way more than 5000 there, knowing Munster fans Smile

Yea, more than likely. All the tickets Munster took are gone. I wonder who the people of Montpelier will be supporting?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

How many tickets have been sold?

The ground is >200 miles from Clermont-Ferrand.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

Sin é wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Id say there will be way more than 5000 there, knowing Munster fans Smile

Yea, more than likely. All the tickets Munster took are gone. I wonder who the people of Montpelier will be supporting?

Probably Clermont realistically
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

debaters1 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

3 weeks ago I was certain of the result, a Clermont win. But as the days have gone by the deluded part of my brain has worked its voodoo on my rational mind and I think we have a chance to pull of a huge upset. I like the team, though we'll miss Donners off the bench, and I think we can ask them some tough questions. Whether or not we can force them on to the back foot is another issue altogether but the longer we can hang in there, the more doubt will creep into their minds. Parra needs marshelling so Murray will have to be on top top top form and the back row (and whoever else has some French) needs to needle him and their back row as much as possible. The Locks are hot heads so while I doubt they'll explode, they'll be worked on all the same.

I'll be in Place de Komidie for lunch and the Leinster match circa 2pm local time. First trip away in some time. Fingers crossed!

Who else is going to be there?
Lovely spot. Was there for the Leinster Montpelier game. Enjoy. will ramble up the Dublin 4/14/6 boundary to watch your game after our parker pen outing.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:31 pm

greytiger wrote:How many tickets have been sold?

The ground is >200 miles from Clermont-Ferrand.

Stadium holds around 30K, so I'd say the place will be full of Clermont fans.

Gats is going to be there as well which is surprising.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

[/quote]
Lovely spot. Was there for the Leinster Montpelier game. Enjoy. will ramble up the Dublin 4/14/6 boundary to watch your game after our parker pen outing.[/quote]

It is indeed, have had the pleasure of holidaying in the region for the past few years and Montpellier is a great city. Getting excited now! Roll on this stupid o'clock flight to Rodez!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

Sin, he'll be there to look at POC, Murray, POM, Zebo and Hines & Byrne too. And Earls as an outside outside shot, given his ultility abilities and he'll get the ideal test from that back three tomorrow too.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:42 pm

This match has taken up 228 pages on the Clermont fan site. I thought the French didn't care about the HEC! Very Happy
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:45 pm

Think it's Clermont and their fans' specific target this season. Might be there last chance to ever win it depending on what the final situation in Europe is
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:45 pm

Having Gatland there can potentially be a positive - as the potential Lions know they're being watched - again!

But it also has the potential to be a negative if they allow the extra eyes to play on their minds maybe a little too much - making them over-eager and possibly pushing them to rush things when patience is required.

Hopefully they'll get the balance right and think mostly of the potential to bring the Munster name itself back into the very heart of Europe. That's honour and motivation enough for young Munster guys.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm

Sin é wrote:DOD & debaters1 - Mind the voice tonight - you'll need it tomorrow. 5,000 tickets gone for Munster anyway, so fair play to the supporters. DOD bring raingear (Paul Warwick has been on twitter telling Munster fans to bring a brolly!).

Have a great trip. Wish I was there. Sin é

Cheers Sin
Good number of red shirts around Carcasonne this evening, a few auld lads like myself. Excellent food and a few drinks. There is a gang of eight of us here from Cork and some even making there way up from Barca and Perpignan tomorrow.

Debaters i was going to say watch out for the slightly overweight Corkman in an old Munster jersey tomorrow who has had one or two drinks by lunchtime..but that would be a generalisation by the look of things...

Gwan the lads...

If i see Gats depending on amouof alcohol consumed and result will either kiss/kick or educate him on the pros and cons of taking POC as captain of the lions

Am hoping to check in tomorrow evening regardless of result. Once we do ourselves proud...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm

Did I mention de nerves.....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sat 27 Apr 2013, 6:32 am

DOD wrote:Did I mention de nerves.....

Can't sleep awake since 5 thinking about sivivato running right through earls! Pom against bonnaire is going to be some test! Brock James v rog could go massively either way!

Murray against parra is going to be crucial to actually winning the game if he can stop him in his tracks!

Would love to be there but hope everybody over has a great trip topped off by a famous win!

Be loud and be red

#marchonmontpellier #suaf # mrsc16

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 27 Apr 2013, 9:55 am

Enjoy the trip all, win lose or draw, have a good laugh, boys will give it all anyway, not too confident, but I haven't thought about it too much (match myself today) so not too nervous yet anyway.

Come on Munster!

#cleareyesfullheartscantlose #SUAF

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 27 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

Best of luck today Munster, give them hell.
Hope everyone down there has a great time.

Feckin' batter 'em!

Fingers Crossed

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 27 Apr 2013, 11:38 am

All the best to Munster today.Hope everyone plays their best game ever.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 27 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

Give er a lash Munster. One thing's for sure, ASM will know they've been in a game.

Enjoy the day DOD. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 27 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

Lads, what time irish time is the match on? I'm confusing myself with the conversion to the US, not sure if rte have local french time down, or irish time. cheers!

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 27 Apr 2013, 4:49 pm

Got £1 on O'Mahony to score the first try at 33/1, cmon Peter!!!

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 27 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

wolfball wrote:Lads, what time irish time is the match on? I'm confusing myself with the conversion to the US, not sure if rte have local french time down, or irish time. cheers!

Its starting now Wolfie. Have a decent link if you need it bud. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 27 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

wolfball wrote:Lads, what time irish time is the match on? I'm confusing myself with the conversion to the US, not sure if rte have local french time down, or irish time. cheers!

Just about to kick off. 5pm Irish time

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next