The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

+15
banbrotam
lags72
Henman Bill
spdocoffee
Born Slippy
Cast a Shadow
hawkeye
lydian
kingraf
carrieg4
LuvSports!
The Special Juan
ryan86
CaledonianCraig
TopoftheChops
19 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 4 Empty Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by TopoftheChops Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evans and ward/baker in the singles tomorrow. Tough ask against the Russians especially without Murray.

Last edited by TopoftheChops on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lack of interest)

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 4 Empty Re: Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

lydian. I don't know what the answer is. But it is Evan's life. I know little of his circumstances but I doubt he was totally in control of his route into tennis. I would guess he started training at very early age and was good enough to progress. It's a bit simplistic to imply that if he just worked harder he would be rewarded. There is a good chance he wouldn't. Evans must be well aware like you of all those talented no hoper's littered around the fringes of pro tennis. Maybe it's a little self protection that holds him back from further dedication. I just don't agree with all the public criticism he and other young British players receive and not just by Murray. Why should he have to put up with it for just four thousand dollars?

I've said before that he should be supported by the LTA for his work with the Davis Cup team. He put on a good show in Coventry. He was the best that GB has who could "be arsed" to play. They might need to call on him again soon.

There is a problem with supporting young players in tennis. I'm not sure exactly what the answer is there either. But Tennis is better if it is dynamic and new players can break through. The way the top players increasingly take the lions share of the money generated by the sport is making it difficult for lower ranked players to participate. Unless something is sorted out tennis could start losing viewers fast. It got lucky with Nadal and Federer but they won't be around forever. Things could get stale quickly.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 4 Empty Re: Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

hawkeye wrote: It's a bit simplistic to imply that if he just worked harder he would be rewarded.

It is not simplistic, it is simply a fact. He has shown through his exploits at DC that he is capable far beyond his current ranking. If he worked harder and travelled to tournaments more he would win more.

hawkeye wrote:Maybe it's a little self protection that holds him back from further dedication.

So not trying in case he fails? Not really acceptable in the case of a professional sportsman

hawkeye wrote: I just don't agree with all the public criticism he and other young British players receive and not just by Murray. Why should he have to put up with it for just four thousand dollars?

So you are completely ignoring the point that he would definitely have won more than $4K had he worked more then?

hawkeye wrote: I've said before that he should be supported by the LTA for his work with the Davis Cup team.

Nope, he should be supported by the LTA for day to day hard work and dedication maximising his talent. I can't just turn up at work twice a year, take a fantastic radiograph and expect to pull a monthly salary.

hawkeye wrote:He put on a good show in Coventry. He was the best that GB has who could "be arsed" to play. They might need to call on him again soon.

True, he played well as everyone is saying. If he works harder, he will be more useful and get supported more. Problem solved.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:52 pm

Tim Henman said the same thing as Murray
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/tennis/news/henman-questions-evans-attitude_78949.html

Dan Evans said the same thing as Murray
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/9975486/Britains-Dan-Evans-says-he-is-bad-at-his-job-after-Davis-Cup-defeat-to-Russias-Dmitry-Tursunov.html

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:53 pm

carrieg4 wrote:I can't just turn up at work twice a year, take a fantastic radiograph and expect to pull a monthly salary.

carrie, your radiographs are the best!
(What's a radiograph?)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:I can't just turn up at work twice a year, take a fantastic radiograph and expect to pull a monthly salary.

carrie, your radiographs are the best!
(What's a radiograph?)

Hug rose

(It's an x-ray)

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:43 am

Erm, my understanding is that he would get a substantial fee for representing GB in the Davis Cup. Of course, it seems he could also be receiving funding as well if he satisfied people he was putting in the effort. Its hardly a tough life.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 18 Apr 2013, 8:51 am

HE, we're talking about the upper echelons of a sport here, Evans simply has to pull his finger out if he wants to progress. It's up to him. If you compared your favourite player Nadal to Evans I think you see the difference in will power and application of effort. The problem is Evans simply doesn't want it enough. Fine, let him be a lovely County player in a few years time, but international pro tennis obviously isn't for him.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4