The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

+15
banbrotam
lags72
Henman Bill
spdocoffee
Born Slippy
Cast a Shadow
hawkeye
lydian
kingraf
carrieg4
LuvSports!
The Special Juan
ryan86
CaledonianCraig
TopoftheChops
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 3 Empty Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by TopoftheChops Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evans and ward/baker in the singles tomorrow. Tough ask against the Russians especially without Murray.

Last edited by TopoftheChops on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lack of interest)

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 3 Empty Re: Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by The Special Juan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

Evans' slice is superb.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ - Page 3 Empty Re: Davis cup - GB vs Russia thread MUST READ

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

Evans 3-0 up. Double Break!

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

Double break Cool

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:57 pm

Have you seen Shvedova's golden set against Errani? Moment of history and the commentator doesn't realise till after the set is finished. Smile

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

I was watching it earlier today funnily enough. Surely you'd notice?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:01 pm

What a weird weekend! Almost as strange, Donald Young is a few games away from winning a title.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

At this rate Leon Smith's getting a knighthood before Murray.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

ryan86 wrote:What a weird weekend! Almost as strange, Donald Young is a few games away from winning a title.

Have I slipped into an alternate reality Shocked

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

Two points away.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Murray's back in September (barring injury) and all of a sudden it's looking rosy!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm

EVANS WINS, GB WINS, WHAT A RESULT!

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:17 pm

April 10th we find out the opponent. Enter.... Spain!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:18 pm

Eek! Just read on twitter that Djokovic has injured his ankle in his DC match. Hope he is ok.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:18 pm

• Spain
• Croatia
• Belgium
• Brazil
• Israel
• Germany
• Austria
• Switzerland

Potential opponents.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:19 pm

The Special Juan wrote:April 10th we find out the opponent. Enter.... Spain!
Shocked

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by spdocoffee Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:21 pm

Some points I noted:
1. A pleasure to watch some different players... sometimes the histrionics and Hollywood elements of the top players bore me.
2. After the horrific slugfest of Miami, it was a joy to watch some wham bam tennis on a pacey indoor surface.
3. Dan Evans is a wonderfully crafted player who in another era would probably be residing in the top 30.

spdocoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

wow what a win!!!!
amazing effort Yahoo

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 07 Apr 2013, 9:06 pm

Wow, I only live an hour's drive from the Ricoh Arena, I wish I'd gone now! Although to be honest I didn't even know about this in advance and only found out today it was at the Ricoh.

Was it basiscally outside on the football pitch or crammed into the littel conference centre part?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 07 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

the latter it would seem

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 07 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

As sports upsets go this is pretty huge - did not give GB without Murray a prayer beforehand.

Should be a shot in the arm for the singles careers of the guys who were involved as well.

Will GB be at home or on their travels for the play-offs? Could be crucial.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:06 pm

Apparently first time since 1930 that GB have recovered from a 0-2 deficit after opening day.

Quite apart from the comeback itself, the fact that it was achieved by two players whose rankings are so far below the opponents' does certainly qualify as a huge, against-all-odds type upset Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:40 am

spdocoffee wrote:Some points I noted:
1. A pleasure to watch some different players... sometimes the histrionics and Hollywood elements of the top players bore me.
2. After the horrific slugfest of Miami, it was a joy to watch some wham bam tennis on a pacey indoor surface.
3. Dan Evans is a wonderfully crafted player who in another era would probably be residing in the top 30.

It was indeed a great effort and good Tennis. Is there any chance you could just leave it at that, rather than just snipe at two players who constantly play at a high level?

I wouldn't be that bothered, but choosing the Miami final is lazy - it was a perfect storm for an attritional match. I don't see you citing that Murray v Gasquet matches, which was one of the better ones of this year?

Let's just praise the achievements of the GB team, instead of carping about the Top 4, who's constant success probably bores you

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:17 am

So posters cannot say their opinions now if it displeases you?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:23 am

As TSJ says the worst case scenario for September is an away draw against Spain. I think that Switzerland would be a home draw? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Venue got to be Wimbledon in that case surely.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:24 am

LuvSports! wrote:So posters cannot say their opinions now if it displeases you?

I can't remember stating anywhere that such comments should be banned Whistle If you can then your comment is valid. I also am not aware that there is a rule which states that a contributor cannot express that they think a comment is unfair. If it's in the rules, I apologise!!

My point, clearly made, is that we have a number of posters who carp about various members of the Top 5, often Nole, Andy and David, conveniently forgetting the good play they do

I didn't see the point on this thread. If we're praising a unique Davis Cup achievement, why then have a dig at others? It's the old 'familiarity breeding contempt' and I make no apologies for disliking such attitudes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:11 am

banbrotam. If ticket holders for the Miami final could go back in time and swap their final tickets for Coventry tickets there would be a big queue. You would have your work cut out if you tried to stop them demanding their money back.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:02 am

This is arguably GB's best DC result for many a long year. All the British players were heroic. Sad to read, though, that Evans of his own admission does not really work hard enough at his game.
If you've got the talent but lack of effort is holding you back it seems such a waste. After all, anyone can be a good accountant or a refuse disposer but so few have the talent to pursue a career in sport.
Enough carping, though. This was a very fine effort and with Murray back in the autumn GB has a chance of climbing back into the top DC tier again.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

hawkeye wrote:banbrotam. If ticket holders for the Miami final could go back in time and swap their final tickets for Coventry tickets there would be a big queue. You would have your work cut out if you tried to stop them demanding their money back.

To paraphrase Henry Hill (as played by Ray Liotta) in Goodfellas "you're a funny girl"

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

sirfredperry wrote:This is arguably GB's best DC result for many a long year. All the British players were heroic. Sad to read, though, that Evans of his own admission does not really work hard enough at his game.
If you've got the talent but lack of effort is holding you back it seems such a waste. After all, anyone can be a good accountant or a refuse disposer but so few have the talent to pursue a career in sport.
Enough carping, though. This was a very fine effort and with Murray back in the autumn GB has a chance of climbing back into the top DC tier again.

Agreed. Particularly about Evans. Unfortunately, these days in all sports you have to work hard. Even the great Federer has to do this

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

carrieg4 wrote:As TSJ says the worst case scenario for September is an away draw against Spain. I think that Switzerland would be a home draw? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Venue got to be Wimbledon in that case surely.

"@NeilHarmanTimes

GB would be home to Switzerland, Germany and Australia; away to all others. Japan would be decided by lot"
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:01 pm

So Jonny Marray was the catalyst for the summer of 2012. He was again the catalyst for this comeback. I sense a recurring theme here....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

dont forget flemo!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:27 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:As TSJ says the worst case scenario for September is an away draw against Spain. I think that Switzerland would be a home draw? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Venue got to be Wimbledon in that case surely.

"@NeilHarmanTimes

GB would be home to Switzerland, Germany and Australia; away to all others. Japan would be decided by lot"

TBH the only one I feel GB (with Murray) would have no chance of winning is Spain away (where at best you feel they'd lose 3-2), Switzerland would be very tough, but the others I'd feel they have a decent shot at.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

Agreed with Overend column this week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22063382

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:TBH the only one I feel GB (with Murray) would have no chance of winning is Spain away (where at best you feel they'd lose 3-2), Switzerland would be very tough, but the others I'd feel they have a decent shot at.

If it was on Clay, which it almost certainly would be then it'd be hard for Murray to beat Ferrer never mind Nadal

And both would play!!

If by some miracle it was on a hard court - then you wouldn't put it past Murray to win both

Now we've got a good doubles team to go with one of the best singles players in the world, there is no reason why they can't get in the Top Division and stay there for a couple of years

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm

ryan86 wrote:• Spain
• Croatia
• Belgium
• Brazil
• Israel
• Germany
• Austria
• Switzerland

Potential opponents.

BBC website has a different list:

GB's potential opponents
•1st seed: Spain - away
•2: Austria - away
•3: Croatia - away
•4: Switzerland - home
•5: Germany - home
•6: Australia - home
•7: Belgium - away
•8: Japan - decided by lot

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm

Ryan's list is the teams who lost in R1 of the World Group. The BBC's list is the top 8 ranked teams in the play-offs, who are seeded. I presume GB (unseeded) will play one of the eight seeded teams.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm

Anyone know the reason we draw lots for venue against Japan by the way? We have played them before - when a youthful Fred Perry and Bunny Austin cruised to victory at home in 1931. I can only presume it is so long ago that it doesn't count for venue purposes?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Anyone know the reason we draw lots for venue against Japan by the way? We have played them before - when a youthful Fred Perry and Bunny Austin cruised to victory at home in 1931. I can only presume it is so long ago that it doesn't count for venue purposes?

I can only presume it is to do with the geographics of it all. I may be wrong.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:55 pm

Enjoyed reading the Overend article linked by carrieg4.

How often have we found ourselves commenting to each other over the years that talent is only one ingredient in this sport - albeit an absolutely vital one - and that commitment, hard work and sacrifice are all very necessary adjuncts. And certainly from a British perspective there is no better current illustration of this than Dan Evans (and, to a lesser extent, his compatriot Ward)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-warns-dan-evans-he-must-beef-up-and-commit-to-his-sport-8575722.html

Hopefully Evans will take note.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

carriage4. I know you'll probably dismiss what I'm saying but one of the reasons I'm critical of Murray is for reasons like this. If Murray wanted to help Evans out as a friend and team mate he could perhaps give him some advice. Including advice on fitness if he thought it would help. But personally not via the media. How would Evans feel reading such personal criticism. Why tell the media things like this? (from your link)

"He's been given a lot of opportunities," Murray said. "Not everyone is capable of doing it every single day of the year.

"He doesn't like travelling much," Murray said. "I never minded the travelling from a young age.

Evans has just done a brilliant job for the GB Davis Cup team playing well above his ranking. IMO Murray should have limited his media comments to praise. He doesn't need to compare him unfavorably with himself.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:carriage4. I know you'll probably dismiss what I'm saying but one of the reasons I'm critical of Murray is for reasons like this. If Murray wanted to help Evans out as a friend and team mate he could perhaps give him some advice. Including advice on fitness if he thought it would help. But personally not via the media. How would Evans feel reading such personal criticism. Why tell the media things like this? (from your link)

"He's been given a lot of opportunities," Murray said. "Not everyone is capable of doing it every single day of the year.

"He doesn't like travelling much," Murray said. "I never minded the travelling from a young age.

Evans has just done a brilliant job for the GB Davis Cup team playing well above his ranking. IMO Murray should have limited his media comments to praise. He doesn't need to compare him unfavorably with himself.

Hawkeye

I never dismiss anything without considering it first and I see where you are coming from. Murray did say how impressed he was by Evans performance in particular. However, when asked a direct question, he has to give an honest and fair assessment which he did. The fact is that Evans has been given a lot of opportunities including by Murray himself and, by his own admission, does not work hard enough. Basically Murray is saying that the life isn't for everyone but, if you are going to do it, you have to commit to it day in day out. Evans is a player who clearly has the talent to be much higher up the rankings than he is and a solid second GB player if he would only work a bit harder. Not every week can be comfy hotels and local matches. If he is not prepared to trail around Europe staying in cheap hotels or lodging with families as all the others, including Murray himself, have had to do then maybe he should question what he wants out of his career.

Hopefully this will be the kick up the a&s* Evans needs to make him commit properly to his chosen career and fulfil his undoubted potential.

Last edited by carrieg4 on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

Yes but it doesn't work like that does it HE...you know what happens, the media interview Murray for MC and then ask him leading questions about the DC team. Evans knows all this anyway as he's not putting the work in...for all you know Murray has also been personally in touch. Evans just needs to knuckle down and decide he wants to be a top player, not just a posing peacock at DC events. He needs to stop playing above his ranking and play TO his ranking, i.e. get the ranking his talent deserves. Hopefully, Murray's words - which are useful - will spur him on. This isn't about Murray, its about Evans pulling his finger out and making the most of all the sacrifices made for tennis the past 15 years by him and his family.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

Evans isn't young. He's nearly 23. Chances are whatever work he puts in he's not likely to be able to make a living from being a pro player. This year he has earned 4,235 dollars from prize money. No way is he self supporting. I don't think that would pay for even the cheapest hotels and travel. Who are we or Murray to say he should work harder for such limited rewards. Bearing in mind that just to earn those 4,235 dollars he has had to put in 15 years of work. Not sure of his family background but I can only assume they have also contributed including financially to his training. Maybe Evans is just being realistic?

Why shouldn't he "pose like a peacock" at Davis Cup events. Without him who would play? At least for all his investment he's had the stage and the opportunity to do so. We should applaud him. There is a problem with pro tennis at the moment in that the few players at the top cream off all the money. No wonder so few young players are breaking through.

Whatever. It doesn't sound good having a millionaire pro player publicly being critical of a "pro" player like Evans.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

In today's tennis 22 is seen as young. Stupidly they keep talking about dolgopolov, 24, (month younger than delpo) as the young generation.

Youngsters are now seen as 20-23 (tomic, dimi, JJ, goffin, berankis to nishikori at 23) and not 17-20 as they used to be as the game is so physical, slow and gruelling, that these youngsters are not exploding onto the scene like they used to.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

The obvious point being that, if he showed the required dedication, he would attract more funding and win more money. He has the talent to do much better or he would not be able to "pose like a peacock" at DC events. It is because he has not put the hours in that he has not made much money. He appears quite happy to take constructive criticism and even got in there first, it just remains to be seen whether he does anything about it. Pro players do not become millionaires without a lot of hard work and effort.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

So whats the answer HE...you sound like you want the guy to have support but then cant see the point in him pushing himself at 23. Maybe if he'd pushed himself at 18-20 he could have been reaping the rewards now...instead he's going to become another talented no-hoper littered around the fringes of the pro tennis world. No-one asked him to go pro in the first place - he chose that route - so having done so you think he might of dedicated himself abit more? When he looks back on his career and realises he left it all abit too late then he'll have no-one to blame but himself. If he tries his best in training but cant get anywhere then fair enough - he tried - but at the moment you seem to forget that he's the one who says he's not been putting the effort in - hence he's been dropped by the AEGON team. You think we should fund/reward those players who cant be arsed to develop their skills to the max?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next