The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 18

+19
thebluesmancometh
Cumbrian
EnglishReign
BigTrevsbigmac
Ozzy3213
LondonTiger
doctor_grey
Hood83
stnick88
Bathite
beshocked
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
Poorfour
yappysnap
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
B91212
formerly known as Sam
ChequeredJersey
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 18 - Page 3 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 18

Post by LondonTiger Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Round 18

Fri 22nd Mar 13
20:00 Sale Sharks v Bath Rugby Salford City Stadium Preview

Sat 23rd Mar 13
15:00 Gloucester Rugby v London Welsh Kingsholm Preview
15:00 London Irish v Worcester Warriors Madejski Stadium Preview
15:15 London Wasps v Northampton Saints Adams Park Sky Preview
17:00 Exeter Chiefs v Leicester Tigers Sandy Park ESPN Preview

Sun 24th Mar 13
14:00 Saracens v Harlequins Allianz Park ESPN Preview

Table

1 Saracens 59
2 Harlequins 55
3 Leicester 54
4 Northampton 49
5 Gloucester 46
6 London Wasps 46
7 Bath 42
8 Exeter 41
9 Worcester 32
10 London Irish 24
11 Sale 19
12 London Welsh 17

As we enter the run in to the season, Harlequins victory over Sale in the LV cup means that 6th place will still earn an HEC spot. Strong representation in the HEC and Amlin 1/4 Finals means there is a chance that 7th place could be good enough. Round 18 brings an intriguing set of clashes affecting Play-Off spots, European places and even the relegation battle.

Victory for Sale over a Bath team that would have been disappointed by the manner of their loss to Quins A in the LV makes life very difficult for London Welsh at the bottom - even if they do get their points deduction over-turned. Bath will be hurting though and are certainly not pushovers. Heineken Cup rugby is still very much on the agenda, whilst a good run of results could even see them sneaking into the play-off spots.

For a little while now it has looked as if Gloucester, Northampton and Wasps have looked as if they are fighting for the 4th spot. Gloucester will be confident of a win at home to London Welsh but the meeting between the other two could be a cracker.

Against a Worcester side with very little to play for, and a lot of departing players, London Irish will be hoping to secure the win that would all but guarantee survival.

Tigers will have to decide how many of their battered England contingent to take down to Devon. They will hope to repeat the home victory where Exter were outmuscled and ultimately well beaten. A win for Exeter though and Tiger's fans will be looking nervousley over their shoulders at the chasing pack, whilst Exeter fans will start wondering if they could get another HEC campaign.

The round closes on Sunday with the tie of the round. Table toppers host champions and a win for Sarries would make them clear favourites for a home play off semi. A win for Quins (especially if accompanied by a Tigers win) would make things very interesting at the top.

The quality and ambition shown by the four LV semi-finalists suggests we may have a good weekend, I hope so.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 18

Post by yappysnap Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Dont think you'll miss Mooj leaving, he did his best to lose the game for Saints yesterday! Think the youngster who started was miles better.

Saints issue is still at 10, you just don't have a good enough all rounder for a top side, and tbh its a credit to the coaches and pack that you're still a top4 club every season.

Waldouck played well for Wasps with pace and creativity around him, he could then be the reliable steady player, its the opposite at Saints that he's expected to be the game breaker, hejust cant do that without other danger men making gaps for him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm

It is hard for a 10 to shine when the pack keep the ball for too long. Saints have always played best when they maintain a high tempo, but the delivery from the pack has got more and more sedate.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

I think Mujati has been off this season. He started fine, then his form became a bit variable. As much as I don't like to say it, perhaps it is time for both parties to move on. Shame because he has meant a lot to the club.

Saints were good enough to get to a Heineken Cup final with Myler. But he had a lot of help, which seems lacking this year. The ball has been coming slower which has been killing any semblance of attack. The key for the last few years was the strong foundation laid by the forwards combined with quick ball.

If Saints can make the playoffs anything can happen. But it is no sure thing we get there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
If Saints can make the playoffs anything can happen. But it is no sure thing we get there.
Saints were so close to making the final last year

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Crucially Myler had a big 12 to take on the slow ball, get over the gain line and slow the opposition defensive drift. Waldouck just doesn't offer any of that. Saints have tended to manage the tempo of their attack but with the midfield faltering it means they are predictable with little opportunity to change the point of attack and It's easy to target their breakdown and slow the ball.

Fix the midfield combo and I think things will pick up as the team's confidence in the pairing grows.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

How about Cipriani or Henson?

Otherwise there must surely be a few London Irish or Sale players that they can pinch. Very Happy Whistle

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

I think that's a key point. Myler actually had two big centres. That kept the defense honest. And that set up the quick wings and Ben Foden from fullback. The key in the off season is to rebuild the mid field first, then bring in a quick wing. Also depth in the front row.

In the meantime, we still have a few big matches coming up......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

Not so sure about Cippy. But, if Henson had his head on straight, would be a good addition.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

Henson would be a good option at Saints. Can kick, can play 10 and 12. Can't see them being overly happy about the amount of time he seems be out with little niggles.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I think that's a key point. Myler actually had two big centres. That kept the defense honest. And that set up the quick wings and Ben Foden from fullback. The key in the off season is to rebuild the mid field first, then bring in a quick wing. Also depth in the front row.

In the meantime, we still have a few big matches coming up......

Doesn't this also highlight a lack of coaching nous - a big midfield bosher goes to be replaced by Waldouck - but nothing about the game plan changes. Waldouck's a perfectly decent 13, but not a 12. Would G Pisi not be a better bet there for a start.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:55 pm

Good point, mate.
That was discussed in pre-season. Even tried in pre-season. I know the idea was discarded, but I never heard why.

Bringing in Alex King is supposed to be the solution to get the backs functioning. I hope so. At least it shows the coaching staff know where their gaps are.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

Quins have looked surprisingly lacklustre today.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

Agreed LT, hope this isn't the feared burnout from the 3 tournament approach. I'll take 4th place at the end of the season but we need to build some form against Gloucester to take in against Munster
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Agreed LT, hope this isn't the feared burnout from the 3 tournament approach. I'll take 4th place at the end of the season but we need to build some form against Gloucester to take in against Munster

The run in for Saints and Gloucester is not easy. Still feel Tigers and Quins will be meeting in the semi, and hoping for 3rd time lucky.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

Congratulations to Sarries though, hope we miss them in the KO stages of Europe and AP as I think they are by far our worst match up in England
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

The run in for Saints and Gloucester is not easy. Still feel Tigers and Quins will be meeting in the semi, and hoping for 3rd time lucky.

Depends if Barnes is reffing LT. His interpretation certainly does not suit us against Quins irrespective of where the game is played.

Agreed LT, hope this isn't the feared burnout from the 3 tournament approach. I'll take 4th place at the end of the season but we need to build some form against Gloucester to take in against Munster

CJ, is Evans not fit? He looked miles off the pace today and it made Care's lack of tactical territorial play glaringly obvious. They need him firing it that brilliant half back partnership is going to spark in the big games.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 2:46 am

Well he had been injured, and his niggles are becoming a bit of a concern but I think we couldn't rest him this week and expect him to be match sharp for Munster. Better to lose this one and build towards the matches that really pay I suppose. Just don't like watching us look clueless
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:57 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Well he had been injured, and his niggles are becoming a bit of a concern but I think we couldn't rest him this week and expect him to be match sharp for Munster. Better to lose this one and build towards the matches that really pay I suppose. Just don't like watching us look clueless

Please, please rest him this week!! He always has a good game against Glaws
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Congratulations to Sarries though, hope we miss them in the KO stages of Europe and AP as I think they are by far our worst match up in England

Thanks ChequeredJersey. I agree for whatever reason Saracens seem to match up really well with Quins. Just don't seem to allow you to settle.

The defence in particular was very strong.

Robshaw in my opinion looked shattered from this efforts in the 6 nations. Marler just hasn't been in particularly good form, same with Care.

Brown was easily your best player though. Really impressed by him. If he had a bit of support I think he could made things uncomfortable. Was a real handful the whole game.

In regards to Sarries - in my opinion it was simply a good team performance.

Quins are a good side. I am sure you'll bounce back.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the result of London Welsh's appeal?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the result of London Welsh's appeal?

Tomorrow (apparently) Oz.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

Cheers GT. It needs to resolved quickly one way or another. We have a massive game against Sale Sharks this week, and it would be nice to know exactly where we stand before kick off.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

I can't remember where I gleaned the announcement factoid though Oz. Just from a 'respectable' media (written or broadcast) source somewhere.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm

So... Round 18 was fun wasn't it? Sad

Roll on round 19...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:40 pm

I quite enoyed round 18 yappy Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:50 pm

mad

You won't be smiling so much when Bath have finished pillaging your squad like some kind of plague of locusts!! Wink

And oh look it gets even easier for Quins, just a quick saunter down to Kingsolm to play Gloucester Erm and then a little Euro game against Munster.

Fan.Bloomin.Tastic.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Apparently Munster are hitting a bit of form too.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

There is only one player who we have in our squad who Bath are still trying to pinch that I am concerned about losing yappy. JJ we have replaced with Guy Armitage and he suits the way we want to play better.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

yappysnap wrote: mad

You won't be smiling so much when Bath have finished pillaging your squad like some kind of plague of locusts!! Wink

And oh look it gets even easier for Quins, just a quick saunter down to Kingsolm to play Gloucester Erm and then a little Euro game against Munster.

Fan.Bloomin.Tastic.

Yappy, based upon our performance at the weekend you've got nothing to fear. We were truly woeful.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:08 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Apparently Munster are hitting a bit of form too.

steam

Why must you all be so mean? Surely as the current Champions and the AP's flag bearers in Europe you should all be making excuses for us and letting us beat you on our run up to the Semi's against Munster so that we're confident and in good form.

You other AP clubs just aren't fulfilling your paitriotic duty!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

yappysnap wrote:

steam

Why must you all be so mean? Surely as the current Champions and the AP's flag bearers in Europe you should all be making excuses for us and letting us beat you on our run up to the Semi's against Munster so that we're confident and in good form.

Hate to break it to you, but that is only the 1/4 final. Beat Munster though and it is plain sailing to the final.

Clermont are a pushover right?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:

Fan.Bloomin.Tastic.

Yappy, based upon our performance at the weekend you've got nothing to fear. We were truly woeful.

HKC, that would make me happy... Except we too are in dire form and have been since the start of the year (well to be honest all season bar three games). The home factor and Burns may be enough for you boys.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:23 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

steam

Hate to break it to you, but that is only the 1/4 final. Beat Munster though and it is plain sailing to the final.

Clermont are a pushover right?

You're loving this aren't you?

It makes doing the double over Tigers all the sweeter kiss

Clermont are French, so could potentially have a shocker...Yes? Please? And erm we'll be at home at least reight?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:25 pm

the AP's flag bearers in Europe

You aren't the only AP team still in it you know. It's also a well known fact that as soon as you are champions everyone is after you. Just look how much everyone loves previous winners Sarries and Tigers.

There is only one player who we have in our squad who Bath are still trying to pinch that I am concerned about losing yappy

Ozzy, is that Watson or Garvey? Watson might still come to Tigers and the replacement you've got off us (Lewington) scored again at the weekend vs Notts. Dunno what his season stats are but he got 5 or 6 in the A league and should be near double figs for Notts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:39 pm

Garvey.

Watson could be a star, but a few years ago we were saying the same about his brother. We also have enough quality in the back 3 for losing him to not be an issue.

Garvey on the other hand has been arguably our best player this season, and would be a huge loss for us.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:42 pm

Yea does seem like everyone is taking Quins more seriously now except the actual Quins players, most of the first teamers are massivley off the pace. But then I remember exactly the same from Sarries the season after they won and if I cast my mind back far enough, Leicester.

Fairly sure Ozzy meant JJ, to be honest I don't rate him that much anyway. Reminds me of Hopper for us.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Garvey.

Watson could be a star, but a few years ago we were saying the same about his brother. We also have enough quality in the back 3 for losing him to not be an issue.

Garvey on the other hand has been arguably our best player this season, and would be a huge loss for us.

Who's Watson's brother Ozzy?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

Marcus. Currently playing 7's for England.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:49 pm

Ozzy, have you heard whether it is just Bath that is in for Garvey? I have to say I would love him to come to Glaws, he's a hugely underrated player.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:51 pm

yappysnap wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:

Fan.Bloomin.Tastic.

HKC, that would make me happy... Except we too are in dire form and have been since the start of the year (well to be honest all season bar three games). The home factor and Burns may be enough for you boys.

Kingsholm maybe, but Burns not necessarily. He hasn't bee in good form for a little while. He slipped since the AIs then has only played 120 minutes since January 5th and his game management against Welsh was poor and he missed 3 very easy kicks. I can't imagine he will play that badly again, but he needs to vastly improve if we are to stand a chance against you.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

Yappy, you've got to say dire form or not we've proven we can win (hence still top 4) even when playing poorly all season. I am sure we'll make the playoffs so the win isn't my biggest concern. Hitting some sort of form before the big matches is though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:10 pm

Are we all playing a game of we are worse than you?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:13 pm

A bit. But I still back us to make 2 sets of semi-finals this year and we all know how quickly form can change even within one match never mind a run of them.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:

Ozzy, have you heard whether it is just Bath that is in for Garvey? I have to say I would love him to come to Glaws, he's a hugely underrated player.

Bath are the only team I know for definite have been in for him. As far as I am aware he hasn't signed for anybody yet.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

Yes and we're the worst! Smile

But that can all change in a heart beat, just ask Toulouse last season or Glos next weekend Wink Fingers Crossed

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21927542

Mind games by Nigel Davies?

"You have to admire them - we are nowhere near them with our game, so it's a big challenge for us."

Quins are obviously a very good side but in the AP they have not been in the best of form.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3