The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level.

+2
SecretFly
LondonTiger
6 posters

Go down

Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level. Empty Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level.

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

Luke Marshall and Brian O'Driscoll were both reported as having suffered concussion during the match with France. This will have to have been assessed before letting them play this weekend, but having watched the game v Italy I wonder how well this was done. Marshall took what looked like a rather innocuous (in normal circumstances) blow to the head that left him out cold, while BOD looked punch drunk.

Did these players appear earlier than they should have done?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level. Empty Re: Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level.

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

Yes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level. Empty Re: Is Concussion Treated seriously enough at International Level.

Post by LondonTiger Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:34 am

According to newspaper reports, Luke Marshall left the pitch yesterday with his 3rd concussion in a row. Previous being against France on 9th March and Italy on the 16th March.

For me regulations about players and mandatory rest following concussion are not being applied any where near as rigourously as they should be - and this is merely an example of where a players health can be at serious risk. Further examples can be seen every weekend in every league.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:37 am

Yes.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

Ok you think it is treated seriously enough, I have to say I think it is bordering on criminal negligence to send these players back out there as quick as we do.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 07 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm

I think the Irish have a tradition of heavily relying on their "first 15" and being very paranoid about starting inexperienced players (although this thinking does tend to result in young players remaining inexperienced).

And yes, I do think they rush concussed players back. Although I've no proof of that. Just my opinion.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sun 07 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Ok you think it is treated seriously enough, I have to say I think it is bordering on criminal negligence to send these players back out there as quick as we do.

Agree LT In my day (and that's going back some) if someone was concussed it was an automatic 4 week rest

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 07 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

Luke Marshall shouldn't be in any kind of rugby jersey at all until September. This is no joke. Recurring concussions are a potential career ender and have really serious long term implications.

This kid is just 22 years old. We need to look after him. Ireland and Ulster have a duty of care which needs to be acknowledged. He needs to be cleared by more than the bare minimum cognitive tests before he retakes the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm

Notch wrote:Luke Marshall shouldn't be in any kind of rugby jersey at all until September. This is no joke. Recurring concussions are a potential career ender and have really serious long term implications.

This kid is just 22 years old. We need to look after him. Ireland and Ulster have a duty of care which needs to be acknowledged. He needs to be cleared by more than the bare minimum cognitive tests before he retakes the pitch.

+1

These players want to play - that's natural. They worry about losing position and becoming second choice. But - they entertain us most weekends playing a brutally physical game and yes...I like how you put that Nothc. We have a duty of care to them. 'Care' being the operative word. And we should protect them from themselves through rigorous decisions on head injuries and recovery times for them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down