The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairway woods - sweep or strike down?

5 posters

Go down

Fairway woods - sweep or strike down? Empty Fairway woods - sweep or strike down?

Post by Conehead Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 pm

I've always been fairly decent off the ground with my woods, especially my 5 wood and i've always followed the 'sweeping' rule with my woods.

At my last lesson the pro suggested I should start hitting down on my woods like I do with my irons.

I have practiced on the range and seem to be getting about 20 extra yards out of my strikes but i'm losing consistency.

I seem to be getting a very varied response from the players I play with on how they hit their fairway woods and was wondering how everyone on here hits them and to what degree of success you have with your chosen technique.

I'm sure the pro can sort out my lack of consistency when hitting down but just interested about everyone else's approach

Cheers

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Fairway woods - sweep or strike down? Empty Re: Fairway woods - sweep or strike down?

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I've been having problems with my 3 wood over the last month or so.

I keep topping the ball with my 3 wood. However when I hit my 5 wood I don't have a problem. I hit it right on the button & it flies 200-210 yds, no problem.

But my 3 wood............top, top, top, top...........aaaaaaaaaaaaargh furious

Even when I practice swing with my 3 wood I can't make myself brush the grass. I know what I'm doing just can't correct it.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Fairway woods - sweep or strike down? Empty Re: Fairway woods - sweep or strike down?

Post by barragan Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Depends on your swingspeed apparently. Male pro's tend to hit down , but females sweep a bitmore (tour ave. approx2.5deg down and 0.9deg down respectively)

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 am

I've no idea what I do. Now I have something I'll undoubtedly think about when spanking the next fairway wood 95 yards right of target (although I guess it implies I strike at it. Badly!)

Didn't use a fairway on Saturday but was goaded into the driver off the deck as I'd hit the fairway on a par 5 (it's the rules you know!). Set up for the inevitable cut, cue lovely, big penetrating draw into the mangoes.

Fairly bad golf shot in terms of the hole but strangely pleasing nonetheless.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

Has to be a strike down but it's marginal. You're not aiming to hit divots after all.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

Having looked at a Butch Harman video, yesterday, regarding topping. His explanation sounds about right.

No not lifting your head, but straighting up the old knees. Thus moving the club to a higher plane, thus topping the ball.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down