The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sky & The Rabo

+20
lauriehow
Feckless Rogue
HammerofThunor
nathan
justified sinner
Jenifer McLadyboy
GLove39
wayne
Shifty
marty2086
LordDowlais
ScarletSpiderman
geoff998rugby
Brendan
Kingshu
PenfroPete
profitius
Mickado
BigTrevsbigmac
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sky & The Rabo  Empty Sky & The Rabo

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 pm

From the Guardian - would be good news for the league potentially providing much needed exposure and finance

'Sky is looking for ways to fill the hole left by the loss of Aviva Premiership matches to BT Vision from next season.

It has already been hoovering up international rights this year, adding Ireland, France and Italy to their autumn international package next year along with England, but that only amounts to a month of action.

Sky is in talks with the Celtic unions about securing the exclusive rights to the RaboDirect Pro 12, which are up for tender for the 2014-15 season onwards. As well as injecting money into the tournament, Sky could also help in its projection, helping cut the lag with the Premiership.

Sorting out the kick-off times would be a start. Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional Sunday have not proved popular in Wales where the average crowd is around 8,000.'

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Sky & The Rabo  Empty Re: Sky & The Rabo

Post by Mickado Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:24 am

Fantastic. Would be delighted if Sky got the rights. It's currently being handled very poorly by splitting the rights among host broadcasters (3 out of the last 4 Leinster games not shown on any TV station). Having a dedicated broadcaster (even one that's not free to air) would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 am

It'll happen alright. They need more rugby union.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 am

Not sure how it would provide "much needed exposure ". Exposure to whom ? At present TV coverage is FREE-to-air through BBC WALES, BBC NI, BBC Alba, S4C, RTE and TG4. How would having people having to pay extra to watch increase the exposure ?

Oh, and Rabo attendances aren't just poor in Wales you know
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am

Kick off times, depends on the team.

7pm, (think we'd rather it be 7:30 or 8pm) for Ulster is a great time, think fans like it here, watch the game then to a pub or out, same for Leinster and Munster.

I think is based in a big city, fri night games are fine (Ulster, Leinster, Munster, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff)

For more rural teams like Scarlets, Connacht I think they would prefer to move away from this.

Personally if SKY were to purchase the rights, they would look at moving some but a spread between Fri and Sat with a game on Sun would likiley remain, I'm sure they didn't want all the Aviva games to be on a sat at same time, and would rather keep a certain amount of the spread over 3 days.

Anyway SKY promoting the Pro 12 will be great (going to miss watching games on BBC/RTE) but for the finicial boost it will be amazing, not just the SKY money, but sponsors will be willing to pay more as well.

Nobody does hype like SKY do hype,

The Irish derbies are big events, but Welsh ones not so much. I bet the Welsh deries will be promoted so everyone in Wales knows the game will be on, same with 1872 matches.

One of the thing the league lacked was coverage of the games not involving a team from your country, ie not may people in Ireland would be aware if there was a Welsh derby. This will change, people in Ireland will tune in to watch the derby, sometimes fams were not aware how other teams were doing, but with one broadcaster we will become more fimilar with other teams in the league, and with this rivalaries will develop better.

This could be the Best new for the League.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 am

Agreed, Kingshu. It would also give the league a more unified feel. At the moment the coverage is fragmented with Irish fans only getting to see Irish matches and Welsh only getting to see Welsh matches etc.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:38 am

I think there is a preception in the UK and Ireland that when it is on sky it has to be better. I think everyone will age that no one can sell games and leagues like Sky. They would turn games like Connacht v Dargons or other less stylish games into things to be looked forward to.

They would also be great for pushing the league as a whole which I think we all need and not just or country. I would rather see away games for munster on TV then our home games which I can attend.

I am probalby one of the view that flick between BBC ALBA, SC4, RTE, TG4, and any other station showing games so I can see how all the teams are doing so I can know better what to expect from teams when they play munster.

Also people might take the Rabo more serious in other leagues just for the fact that sky have it.

I just saw Kingshu is making the same points but better

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 am

I can think of a fly in the ointment.

Currently Sky are forced to give BT Sky 1 & 2 but not Sky 3 & 4

I predict that if BT get the European competition then Sky will put the Pro12 on Sky 3 & 4.

This means Celtic supporters may have to choose between Europe and the Pro12 unless they subscribe to both !!

Too good an opportunity for Sky to get back at BT

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 am

PenfroPete wrote:Not sure how it would provide "much needed exposure ". Exposure to whom ? At present TV coverage is FREE-to-air through BBC WALES, BBC NI, BBC Alba, S4C, RTE and TG4. How would having people having to pay extra to watch increase the exposure ?

Oh, and Rabo attendances aren't just poor in Wales you know

+1. At pressent I can afford a season ticket to get to the Scarlets matches, knowing that I will be able to see what ever away games are put on air in Wlaes, along with games on Alba and NI on the internet (as well as some iffy websites for other Sport Italia etc). However if all of the games were being shown exclusively on Sky, I would be in a position where I would either have to miss out on seeing games on tv, or get sky and not be able to afford a season ticket. Not too sure that I will be alone in that situation either.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:31 am

Sky can have what they want, but what they cannot do is take it off S4C, rugby is the national sport in Wales and S4C is the national Welsh channel and the Welsh assembly has made sure that the national sport is free to everyone, this is why S4C have the HC highlights every weekend when it is on, if Sky want to take all Welsh rugby as a whole it will cost them, but I think because of some parlimentry law, Welsh rugby will always be allowed on S4C, no matter who owns the rights to it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:42 am

LordDowlais wrote:Sky can have what they want, but what they cannot do is take it off S4C, rugby is the national sport in Wales and S4C is the national Welsh channel and the Welsh assembly has made sure that the national sport is free to everyone, this is why S4C have the HC highlights every weekend when it is on, if Sky want to take all Welsh rugby as a whole it will cost them, but I think because of some parlimentry law, Welsh rugby will always be allowed on S4C, no matter who owns the rights to it.

Is the LV cup shown on S4C?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 am

LordDowlais I don't think that applies to the Pro 12 games,
6 nations is protected, maybe H-cup for Wales but I don't beleive pro 12 is, to protect them I think they have to be events in the national intrest, 6 nationals and h-cup as cups can be, the Pro 12 as a league I believe can't be too many games over to long a period to call it an event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events

The Welsh parlimanet would have to have Ofcom, update its lists to include Welsh Club rugby, since they cover the whole of the UK

all i can find is the proposed changes Six Nations Championship (only in Wales, and only for Wales matches)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 am

Would be sad to see the Ulster matches go from BBC NI, not always the most professional broadcast but is always fun to watch when you cant get to the game

The Rabo though needs a more unified approach to the broadcasting and maybe Sky have the answer. The host broadcasters have time to up their game and come together to see if they can do what Sky will be offering

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:35 am

profitius wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Sky can have what they want, but what they cannot do is take it off S4C, rugby is the national sport in Wales and S4C is the national Welsh channel and the Welsh assembly has made sure that the national sport is free to everyone, this is why S4C have the HC highlights every weekend when it is on, if Sky want to take all Welsh rugby as a whole it will cost them, but I think because of some parlimentry law, Welsh rugby will always be allowed on S4C, no matter who owns the rights to it.

Is the LV cup shown on S4C?

Yes, and the odd Amlin Cup games. OK

Last edited by LordDowlais on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 am

Kingshu wrote:LordDowlais I don't think that applies to the Pro 12 games,
6 nations is protected, maybe H-cup for Wales but I don't beleive pro 12 is, to protect them I think they have to be events in the national intrest, 6 nationals and h-cup as cups can be, the Pro 12 as a league I believe can't be too many games over to long a period to call it an event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events

The Welsh parlimanet would have to have Ofcom, update its lists to include Welsh Club rugby, since they cover the whole of the UK

all i can find is the proposed changes Six Nations Championship (only in Wales, and only for Wales matches)

Kingshu, I am sure it is Welsh rugby as a whole, it even goes as far in Wales that BBC Wales advertises the games (channel and time it is on and who is playing) for S4C.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:50 am

well i'm sure that SC4 can be given highlights of the gamesd just like HC.

Even if sky only had say 4 games a week it would surely bring in a nice bit of money with the rest on the usual channels

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:14 am

Would it bring money in though?

All Sky really have to do it outbid the BBC and to be honest they would only need to outbid them by a small amount.

Any contract would probably fall way below the English one.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 am

Brendan wrote:well i'm sure that SC4 can be given highlights of the gamesd just like HC.

Even if sky only had say 4 games a week it would surely bring in a nice bit of money with the rest on the usual channels

I would even go as far to say that S4C would have at least one game a week where a Welsh team played at home maybe even two, and BBC Wales would still have Scrum V on a Sunday evening.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 am

LD, S4C only have Broadcasting rights for International matches in Welsh, they come in under the BBC umbrella for the Rabo, which Sky would surely outbid if they wanted it, which henceforth would also scupper the highlights programme Scrum5.
IMO this would be a great idea if Sky could win this battle it would mean extra money as this contract would surely cover the whole of the Rabo countries, not split individually, hopefully it could be negotiated that they only broadcast the same number of Rabo games as they now cover Aviva.
That way people especially in Wales and Scotland would have to travel to home matches, personally I'm sick to death of people telling me, why do I need to travel to the Liberty when I can watch the game in the pub or at home with a few cans.
My ideal scenario is BT to win the HC battle without the English and French getting their way of all the teams losing out being Rabo teams, the split should be 8,5,5 and then the HC and Amlin winners and for the Rabo to be broadcast by Sky for the reasons outlined above.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:09 am

Shifty wrote:Would it bring money in though?

All Sky really have to do it outbid the BBC and to be honest they would only need to outbid them by a small amount.

Any contract would probably fall way below the English one.

Its free to air at the moment so if Sky want exclusive rights then that'll mean rugby being less available to the general public. For that to happen sky will have to put in a much larger bid and make it worth losing the free to air rugby for the unions.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:54 am

Sky could always share the rights with BBC, they get their pick of every round and the local stations pick up what they want to show. This way they increase revenue but dont drastically lose exposure. They share rights for the AP anyway and would also be cheaper for them while still getting the pick of the games

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am

Really hope this doesn't happen. Love being able to watch the pro12 for free whether it's in Gaelic on Alba, Rick O'She and his pub style banter on BBC Wales or the stren sods on BBCNI.

Also the more exposure rugby gets in Scotland, the better. So a big fat no to hiding it away on SKY thumbsdown

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Just to clear up some stuff on here.

S4C have the unique leaverage of being a minority language channel, and also because they fall under the umbrella of both the Beeb and also ITV. So not only do they get certain privillages for being the minority channel, but they have advantages over channels like BBC ALBA (for instance) as they can utilise the ITV links too.

Because of this they do get to show Cwpan Heiniken, Cwpan LV= and Cwpan Amlin as highlights shows, and even the occational live game. But that said I believe that ITV 4 have the Jeff, HEC, LV= and Amlin highlights too.

That said if SKy pick up the Rabo, I assume that on a Saturaday and Sunday night S4C will show the Rabo highlights show, but maybe ITV 4 will replace the Jeff highlights show with that too. However I really doubt that the Beeb will have anything, unless they want to go down the semi-pro route (welsh & scottish prem, AIL etc), so basically Scrum V will end up going, but most likely a few (Jiffy, Buttler, Shane Byrne etc) will end up on ITVs highlights show.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 pm

wayne wrote:LD, S4C only have Broadcasting rights for International matches in Welsh, they come in under the BBC umbrella for the Rabo, which Sky would surely outbid if they wanted it, which henceforth would also scupper the highlights programme Scrum5.
IMO this would be a great idea if Sky could win this battle it would mean extra money as this contract would surely cover the whole of the Rabo countries, not split individually, hopefully it could be negotiated that they only broadcast the same number of Rabo games as they now cover Aviva.
That way people especially in Wales and Scotland would have to travel to home matches, personally I'm sick to death of people telling me, why do I need to travel to the Liberty when I can watch the game in the pub or at home with a few cans.My ideal scenario is BT to win the HC battle without the English and French getting their way of all the teams losing out being Rabo teams, the split should be 8,5,5 and then the HC and Amlin winners and for the Rabo to be broadcast by Sky for the reasons outlined above.

Balls, at the moment money is tight. If have a decent job, but can not afford to have Sky and a season ticket. So that would lead to the decision of either seeing all the home games, or seeing the majority of the league & all the highlights etc. I think that Sky would actually lead to more people sitting on their rumps at home and less attending at the grounds.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:10 pm

The other thing is I would be very surprised if Sky broadcast all 6 matches.

Maybe 3 only.
So whereas now you can find ways of watching just about every game for your team on the TV if Sky take over half, on average , will, probably not be televised.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:The other thing is I would be very surprised if Sky broadcast all 6 matches.

Maybe 3 only.
So whereas now you can find ways of watching just about every game for your team on the TV if Sky take over half, on average , will, probably not be televised.

I reckon Sky will probably plump for one on a Friday night, one Saturday dinner time, one Saturday tea time, and one Sunday tea time. Most likely ignoring any games being played out in Italy, unless they think Treviso may turn one of the bigger sides over.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:LD, S4C only have Broadcasting rights for International matches in Welsh, they come in under the BBC umbrella for the Rabo, which Sky would surely outbid if they wanted it, which henceforth would also scupper the highlights programme Scrum5.
That way people especially in Wales and Scotland would have to travel to home matches, personally I'm sick to death of people telling me, why do I need to travel to the Liberty when I can watch the game in the pub or at home with a few cans.My ideal scenario is BT to win the HC battle without the English and French getting their way of all the teams losing out being Rabo teams, the split should be 8,5,5 and then the HC and Amlin winners and for the Rabo to be broadcast by Sky for the reasons outlined above.

Balls, at the moment money is tight. If have a decent job, but can not afford to have Sky and a season ticket. So that would lead to the decision of either seeing all the home games, or seeing the majority of the league & all the highlights etc. I think that Sky would actually lead to more people sitting on their rumps at home and less attending at the grounds.

Drink 2 pints less every week and you're there mate. Well...... perhaps 3 pints. Drink is close to free in Llanelli.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Drink 2 pints less every week and you're there mate. Well...... perhaps 3 pints. Drink is close to free in Llanelli.

I wish i could have 3 pints, I got a 120+ mile round trip to the see us play. When you factor in the cost of fuel (and wear and tear on tyres, breaks etc), programmes, shirts, burgers and beer (2 max), it is a bloody expensive hobby already, let alone having to line Murdock's crooked pockets as well.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I wish i could have 3 pints, I got a 120+ mile round trip to the see us play. When you factor in the cost of fuel (and wear and tear on tyres, breaks etc), programmes, shirts, burgers and beer (2 max), it is a bloody expensive hobby already, let alone having to line Murdock's crooked pockets as well.
Ah yer scraping the barrel now SS Smile

If it was me, I'd bring sandwiches, Not buy programmes or a shirt, have an extra pint and still have enough left over for Sky.

Well done on the dedication stakes btw. I have a 15 minute walk to the RDS so I am spoilt rotten. Many Leinster fans have a long journey. I know some who come from Longford, Wexford & Carlow.

I also know a few Leinster season ticket holders who live in the UK. Now that's dedication. Flights to home games and the nearest game to their houses is the Dragons.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I also know a few Leinster season ticket holders who live in the UK. Now that's dedication. Flights to home games and the nearest game to their houses is the Dragons.

Ah that makes perfect sence if the Dragons were my nearest side I would have to think about following a side a bit furhter away too Run , but fair play travelling that sort of distance is far beyond the call of duty.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 am

I hope those people who constantly knock the rabo league will not be complaining about the loss of matches if this happens. censored
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 am

Good, I look forward to seeing Embra away games and any Weegie games with a commentary in a language I and 100% of Scots understand, rather than one spoken by a tiny minority.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 am

SS, rubbish, I travel 30 miles either way from the Ogmore Valley, I have a KFC, buy a programme and 2 cups of tea every game, for the first 3 or 4 seasons, I travelled on my own and offered many people in this area a free lift to the Liberty, they all refused giving the responses I quoted, I now travel down with my brother in law, we utilise the BOGOF offer and even if this offer is not forthcoming next season we will both be there, I'm sick to death of people coming up to me and running down not only the Ospreys but all the Regions and when I then ask what team do they support they might name one and then I ask do you go to watch them the answer is EVERY single time, WHY, I can watch them for free on the box. My season ticket costs me about £5 a match and if prices revert to normal, matches it would cost £10 that is not expensive.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 am

wayne wrote:SS, rubbish, I travel 30 miles either way from the Ogmore Valley, I have a KFC, buy a programme and 2 cups of tea every game, for the first 3 or 4 seasons, I travelled on my own and offered many people in this area a free lift to the Liberty, they all refused giving the responses I quoted, I now travel down with my brother in law, we utilise the BOGOF offer and even if this offer is not forthcoming next season we will both be there, I'm sick to death of people coming up to me and running down not only the Ospreys but all the Regions and when I then ask what team do they support they might name one and then I ask do you go to watch them the answer is EVERY single time, WHY, I can watch them for free on the box. My season ticket costs me about £5 a match and if prices revert to normal, matches it would cost £10 that is not expensive.

perhaps peoples circumstances are different to yours, perhaps what your call "not expensive" is expensive to others and they can't afford it.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 am

nathan wrote:
wayne wrote:SS, rubbish, I travel 30 miles either way from the Ogmore Valley, I have a KFC, buy a programme and 2 cups of tea every game, for the first 3 or 4 seasons, I travelled on my own and offered many people in this area a free lift to the Liberty, they all refused giving the responses I quoted, I now travel down with my brother in law, we utilise the BOGOF offer and even if this offer is not forthcoming next season we will both be there, I'm sick to death of people coming up to me and running down not only the Ospreys but all the Regions and when I then ask what team do they support they might name one and then I ask do you go to watch them the answer is EVERY single time, WHY, I can watch them for free on the box. My season ticket costs me about £5 a match and if prices revert to normal, matches it would cost £10 that is not expensive.

perhaps peoples circumstances are different to yours, perhaps what your call "not expensive" is expensive to others and they can't afford it.
Very true Nathan.

The absolute cheapest Leinster st is 20 bucks a game for the terrace where you can see feck all in one direction unless you are at the very front.

If I lived in Osprelyia I would bite your hand off for live Rugby for a 5er.

Why does these people's logic not extend to the national team in The millennium stadium? You can see that on the telly too. Not the same on the telly though is it?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 am

Nathan, I'm nearly 66 years of age and live on state pension and I'm registered as disabled which I've been for over 20 years,before that I was employed as an electrician therefore I'm not wealthy.
I have a shirt and other merchandise bought for me by my 3 children for birthdays, anniversaries etc, I started to support the Ospreys when the Celtic Warriors disbanded for the benefit of Welsh rugby, my allegiance has now transferred to the Ospreys due to the intransigence of the WRU, in not treating us fairly (by that I mean the Regions in General but the Ospreys in particular). If Sky get this contract I believe it would mean the best of both worlds, more money and less games on TV, plus the added advantage of more traditional KO times.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 am

Wayne - Just doing quick maths here.
season ticket (good seats mind) £300
programme £3x16= £48
Burger £3.50x16= £56
Beer £3.20x64 (2 per game)= £204.80
Fuel 120milesx16= 1920miles, at 40mpg and £6.30 a galon= £302.40
Shirt £55

That is a whopping £966.20 per season. Given a years wages at minimum wage is £13,520 pre-tax, it's a healthy chunk of a work-a-day persons money, especially if they have kids, or mortgages,to pay for.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Why does these people's logic not extend to the national team in The millennium stadium? You can see that on the telly too. Not the same on the telly though is it?

The WRU and international side took their pricing stratergy off the old Stella ads 'reassuringly expensive' Laugh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 am

wayne wrote:If Sky get this contract I believe it would mean the best of both worlds, more money and less games on TV, plus the added advantage of more traditional KO times.

Traditional kick off times could be a doule edge sword, fans enjoy the kick off times so should up attendances, but will it effect grass roots rugby. After all if you play for your town/village side you will be faced with a dilema of watching or playing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:41 am

justified sinner wrote:Good, I look forward to seeing Embra away games and any Weegie games with a commentary in a language I and 100% of Scots understand, rather than one spoken by a tiny minority.

Don't care if they show the games in Dutch or Swahili provided they're free to watch.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne - Just doing quick maths here.
programme £3x16= £48
Burger £3.50x16= £56
Shirt £55

That is a whopping £966.20 per season. Given a years wages at minimum wage is £13,520 pre-tax, it's a healthy chunk of a work-a-day persons money, especially if they have kids, or mortgages,to pay for.

Way off mate,

We pay £165 a season for the season ticket and for that £165 we can also bring 1 adult and up to 4 children free. We also get a £50 club shop voucher, so you can delete the shirt off your list.

Personally I don't buy food in the stadium it's expensive, though if it's very cold I will buy a £1.80 hot chocolate to warm me up. I don't but a program anymore either because I find myself trying to find somewhere to put it so I can watch the game, I just find it's easier not to get one.

The costs for me is £2 match day parking (3 of us pay £2 each = £6), and maybe the hot chocolate. So I basically watch the Ospreys for nothing once I have bought my season ticket. We don't factor in fuel because I have a company car, and I'm allowed to use it for personal reasons.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Shifty not way off mate. Well actually i was low I forgot parking 3x16= £48, So that makes it up to £1,104.20 (8.2% off pre-tax income)

I am adding up the costs off MY season ticket, shirt etc. The Ospreys, Scarlets, Blues, Dragons and the rest all charge different prices for different things.

But heyho the Ospreys seniors claim rugby is cheap for the masses, so it must be rrue eh. Nevermind the actual figures.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne - Just doing quick maths here.
programme £3x16= £48
Burger £3.50x16= £56
Shirt £55

SS, this is not personal to you as you are obviously paying a decent amount, you need to improve your Maths though £3.20 x 16 x2 = £102.40 and being pedantic you are over the drink drive limit, I'm referring to people in this area and as quoted on our website even members of Landore Club within a 5 minute walk of the stadium give the same quotes. I have glaucoma in my left eye yet still sit in the family enclosures as I can't afford the £300 tickets, It is my choice to have cheap tickets, not have beer and have Sky, you obviously make different choices that is your prerogative. At least if this deal comes about with less games on TV these people will not be able to come out with the same excuses.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:37 am

Wayne, i doubled it twice didn't I Doh your maths is right, also technically just under the limit, due to beer being pre ko, and delayed drive etc. Sorry for biting.

I do see your point about it being easy enough for local to make it. But truth is sky or beeb or not televised at all these people really just don't care
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:56 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Shifty not way off mate. Well actually i was low I forgot parking 3x16= £48, So that makes it up to £1,104.20 (8.2% off pre-tax income)

I am adding up the costs off MY season ticket, shirt etc. The Ospreys, Scarlets, Blues, Dragons and the rest all charge different prices for different things.

But heyho the Ospreys seniors claim rugby is cheap for the masses, so it must be rrue eh. Nevermind the actual figures.

Yeah your right, though at least it's nothing like football, I'm sure my friend told me his Liverpool season ticket was £700 and thats just for Premiership games, no cup games included!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 am

A swans ticket ain't too bad from what i heard, but there are waiting lisfs etc. In hindsite, i guess its a professional sport, and as such its all about the money. I am just sceptical that it will end up like football were the core values are lost. Jesus I sound like a senior now.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:A swans ticket ain't too bad from what i heard, but there are waiting lisfs etc. In hindsite, i guess its a professional sport, and as such its all about the money. I am just sceptical that it will end up like football were the core values are lost. Jesus I sound like a senior now.

Yeah it's a 40 year wait apparently, the way to get one is to buy one off someone you know, they change hands for over £1,000 each and thats just for having the privalage of buying the seat off someone not the ticket itself! Shocked
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:24 am

I think it would be fantastic if they could convince SKY to sign a deal especially if it's anywhere near a large as the Aviva premiership deal, BT have agreed £152million pounds for the Aviva premiership. I think the Rabo should be looking for around £100million pounds which would give a large amount of money for each nation, it would also allow coverage in English and with a lot of promotion. It would also allow for Rugby to be shown in bars and pubs.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 am

Thing is if pubs have sky they could already show the rabo, as you can get all the regional variations of the beeb on sky, as well as s4c, with english commentary. The major problem is that even in welsh pubs, in general, football reigns supreme, even if it La Leiga or whatever.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:38 am

123456789 wrote:I think it would be fantastic if they could convince SKY to sign a deal especially if it's anywhere near a large as the Aviva premiership deal, BT have agreed £152million pounds for the Aviva premiership. I think the Rabo should be looking for around £100million pounds which would give a large amount of money for each nation, it would also allow coverage in English and with a lot of promotion. It would also allow for Rugby to be shown in bars and pubs.

That's for the premiership and English European games. I think sky and ESPN combined was about £54M for about 3 games a week for three years. I think £100M is asking a bit much unless it's for at least 6 years

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next