The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is Keith Thurman?

4 posters

Go down

Who is Keith Thurman?  Empty Who is Keith Thurman?

Post by themadworldofjb Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Keith Thurman has been making a lot headlines recently. Hes been opening his mouth talking about fights with Malinaggi and Bradley. He fights former champ Jan Zaveck on Saturday.

Been looking at his record and its an OK record. One big name of note. A fourth round KO of a retiring Carlos Quintana.

Seems a bit cocky with not a lot acheived and yet here he is challenging a tough champ like Zaveck in what is being called a WBO eliminator. Looks like he can bang though. 19 wins with 18 KOs and One No Contest.

His motto is "KOs for Life" and hes not afraid of losing his 0 apparently.

I am not sold but will watch his career with intrigue.

Heres the Quintana fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHXcKcEXT0
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Who is Keith Thurman?  Empty Re: Who is Keith Thurman?

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Took up boxing as a latecomer I think, hence why he isn't technically the best out there and can come off a little crude

He can bang though, Quintana is past his best but he has only lost to the best he's fought and every time Thurman landed Quintana looked hurt

He hits hard both to the head and body and as he's shown agianst the likes of lora he is patient enough to wait for the big shots while keeping behind a decent jab and slowly breaking them down

Very good prospect but Zaveck could upset him, tough as nails, seasoned and levels above Thurmans past opposition so its intriguing and should be fun while it lasts

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Thurman came up in conversation a little while ago, so I'll just copy what I said then below. It's not too dissimilar to the sentiments of WHU in any case.

Thurman's looked good - if a little raw - so far but I'm a bit mindful of James Kirkland, who was going along a similar line three or four years ago and has turned out to be a bit of a one-dimensional flat track bully.

Thurman can hit, and hit hard, but doesn't move his head and leaves himself wide open when he swings. I remember seeing him on the Mayweather-Cotto undercard and the guy he fought (Hoskins, was it?) saw that Thurman leaves gaps wide enough to drive a bus through when he attacks, fired off a good left hand and visibly hurt and shook Thurman but then, for whatever reason, never really looked to follow it up.

I think Thurman, a giant at Welter, will probably just push Zavek back enough and land enough short hooks inside to work him over for a decision, but I'm confident that Zavek will take him in to deeper waters than he's swum in before. Who knows, maybe we'll even see him having to box, rather than wade, his way in!?

Good fight, definitely worth seeing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm

He has been boxing for a fair while, wasn't too much of a late comer, he had great sparring when he was younger aswell against fantastic opposition like Winky Wright back in his prime.

He is a lot better technically that he looks believe me, it's just he puts an awful lot into every shot and it can make him off balance every now and then.

He bangs and he bangs real hard, every shot is designed to hurt, and he's a very street smart guy and although hasn't shown it quite so much yet, I believe can adapt to the fighter he's facing, he's a handful for absolutely anyone at 147, 'cept Floyd.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down