The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jan Zavek v Keith Thurman

+2
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
6 posters

Go down

Jan Zavek v Keith Thurman Empty Jan Zavek v Keith Thurman

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:40 pm

This is a tasty fight. For those who aren't familair, Zavek is the guy that was beating Berto until he bust up his eye. And Thurman is a power punchin Welter/Light Middle with 18 out of 19 wins coming by KO (record 19-0-0).

How do you see this one?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Jan Zavek v Keith Thurman Empty Re: Jan Zavek v Keith Thurman

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

Great matchmaking and huge step up for Thurman who made waves last year

Zaveck is getting on a bit but hasn't had alot of miles on the clock so isn't shot

Don't know what happened to him after the Berto loss but that was a fight that he had a real chance of winning if not for a bad cut. Berto started fast but couldn't hurt Zaveck and was looking tired by the 5th while Zaveck was coming on strong

Zaveck doesn't hurt easily so stopping hi Neil be a true show of his power. Thurman is far from unsigned and can be outboxed so it'll be good to see him in wit stellar opposition

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:47 pm

I think Thurman will come through thanks to his power. Not necessarily a devastating KO, but perhaps cuts or a TKO. I like Zavek and he will be right in this, but I was impressed with Thurman v Quintana. Should be interesting. ZAvek has a shot here.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:27 am

Great fight. We'll get to see a little more of what Thurman has. Zavek is tough as nails.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:21 am

Interesting match up.

Thurman's looked good - if a little raw - so far but I'm a bit mindful of James Kirkland, who was going along a similar line three or four years ago and has turned out to be a bit of a one-dimensional flat track bully.

Thurman can hit, and hit hard, but doesn't move his head and leaves himself wide open when he swings. I remember seeing him on the Mayweather-Cotto undercard and the guy he fought (Hoskins, was it?) saw that Thurman leaves gaps wide enough to drive a bus through when he attacks, fired off a good left hand and visibly hurt and shook Thurman but then, for whatever reason, never really looked to follow it up.

I think Thurman, a giant at Welter, will probably just push Zavek back enough and land enough short hooks inside to work him over for a decision, but I'm confident that Zavek will take him in to deeper waters than he's swum in before. Who knows, maybe we'll even see him having to box, rather than wade, his way in!?

Good fight, definitely worth seeing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

Eastern European power.

Zavek with a brutal flurry of haymakers in the 8th.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:41 am

He will definately have to box as Zaveck is a really tough man. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has hit the canvas or ever really shook up. Berto hit him and never had him going, might have hurt him a little but nothing special and Berto has heavy hands too

Just had a look at Thurmans record and he has been 8 rounds once and the next longest fight he has had (he has only had 1 points fight which was the 8 rounder) went 6. Zaveck has done the full 12 alot of times and proves that he has a large reserve as he can do the distance comfortably. Thurman loads up a lot and throws every shot with power, that means that its easier to tire yourself out so he can't just throw bombs from the off

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

I do think Thurman is an utter animal in terms of power, though. This cannot be underestimated IMO. Zavek won't have been hit this hard. Quintana wilted like a flower and he is used to fighting at 154.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:26 am

True, but Quintana also has a fair few miles on the clock as well. Good win and performance for a young man in Thurman's position, please don't get me wrong, but Quintana's maulings at the hands of the top guys he's faced, in general, show his level.

Definitely won't rule out a Thurman stoppage here, but even if he does get it I'm sure Zavek is going to make him work bloody hard for it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:40 am

88Chris05 wrote:True, but Quintana also has a fair few miles on the clock as well. Good win and performance for a young man in Thurman's position, please don't get me wrong, but Quintana's maulings at the hands of the top guys he's faced, in general, show his level.

Definitely won't rule out a Thurman stoppage here, but even if he does get it I'm sure Zavek is going to make him work bloody hard for it.

Agreed.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:13 pm

I think Thurman will stop him. But, it'll be late.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:12 am

Great fight at the stage of the careers, I really like Thurman, has his head screwed on and I think is a much better technical boxer thann given credit for.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down