The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Welsh could make the lions test team?

+12
doctor_grey
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
Alex_Germany
gboycottnut
fa0019
Cyril
TJ1
captain carrantuohil
Tramptastic
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
t1000advancedprototype
16 posters

Go down

Which Welsh could make the lions test team? Empty Which Welsh could make the lions test team?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

Gatland won't be biased, but I believe there are some players that have a real shout in certain positions.

I don't necessarily agree but I have a feeling he will pick Roberts and Phillips due to their physicality and influence in matches of this magnitude. They were excellent in 2009. Phillips was immense last night and the world wants to see a repeat of BOD/Roberts. Tuilagi won't be far away though.

15. Halfpenny
12. Roberts
11. North
9. Phillips
7. Tipuric
4. AWJ
3. Jones

If Wales win their remaining three matches then I don't think too many people would complain with those 7 starting especially with the coach being Gatland. I'm sure Warburton will tour but he will need to do a lot to get into the test team. Ryan Jones could be in with a shout he was immense last night.

Will be interesting to see if Lydiate can recover from injury and make the plane.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Which Welsh could make the lions test team? Empty Re: Which Welsh could make the lions test team?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

If you're asking 'could', then you might as well put in the entire team, no? Halfpenny must be in with a strong chance, he's been playing well in a team that has been mis-firing. Roberts is class, perhaps not a 12 in the creative mode, but he's difficult to stop, is an ok distributor, and decent in defence. North is a pretty handy wing too, again perhaps hasn't been at the same standard as last year or the one before, but he's classy and powerful. Phillips is simply an enigma wrapped in a conundrum - I think he's guff personally, but then I wouldn't like to play against him either - go figure! Tipuric is an excellent 7 at Rabo level, but he's not really had the opportunity at international level yet, so still difficult to say. AWJ has been injured, I'll hold fire until her returns. Adam Jones is one of the world's best tightheads, altho doesn't seem to have been doing as much beyond the scrum as last year.

Hopefully that's the sort of fair assessment you were after?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Which Welsh could make the lions test team? Empty Re: Which Welsh could make the lions test team?

Post by Tramptastic Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:02 pm

I'm probably going to get mulched by the welsh here but I don't think AWJ is as good as people make him out to be... I mean don't get me wrong he's quite often really good but I'd take other locks over him even from his own team - Ian Evans for example I think is class!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

Think AWJ has it all to do at this stage. Phillips will undoubtedly go (faute de mieux, in part), but do believe that the back row is going to be just about the last thing sorted out. How many back row forwards will go in total? 7, maybe. Think that there are 10 fit candidates and another three on the sidelines who will warrant consideration - much to early too say for sure about Tipuric, but he might make the team.

Your question was about which Welsh players might make the Test team. North at 11 is a strong possibility; at the moment, it's Halfpenny or Hogg at 15. The others you mention may well tour, but can't be regarded as favourites for a Test jersey at the moment, I wouldn't say.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

Philips should be no where near any test team let alone the lions. simply too slow. Roberts needs to do a lot more as well.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

You can take Phillips, Roberts and AWJ out of the Test side and then we'll talk.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:12 pm

Shane Williams was crowned world player of the year in November 2008.... Yet a few months later he was struggling to get on the plane and into the test side. The tests are still 5 months away and can change on a six pence.

Anyone who goes can test although I'd be surprised if anyone bar halfpenny started... If zebo is out then north has a chance of a spot at left wing.

Injuries do happen though and will happen so some players like Adam jones can jump up the ladder.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

fa0019 wrote:Shane Williams was crowned world player of the year in November 2008.... Yet a few months later he was struggling to get on the plane and into the test side. The tests are still 5 months away and can change on a six pence.

Anyone who goes can test although I'd be surprised if anyone bar halfpenny started... If zebo is out then north has a chance of a spot at left wing.

Injuries do happen though and will happen so some players like Adam jones can jump up the ladder.

Zebo is nowhere near North.... yet. Good finish against Wales but the try was orchestrated by GOD.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:20 pm

fa0019 wrote:Shane Williams was crowned world player of the year in November 2008.... Yet a few months later he was struggling to get on the plane and into the test side. The tests are still 5 months away and can change on a six pence.

fa, that implies that you had Zebo pencilled in on the left wing, when he's only had 3 tests? One against an Argentina wondering when the plane home was, one against a poor Wales (first half), and a half against England - just not enough to go on for me to pencil him in yet

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

None of them.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 10 Feb 2013, 9:17 pm

Which Welsh could make the lions test team?

I think Gatland will make it into the dressing room Yahoo

Seriously - the only Welsh player who has looked Lions class over the season is Halfpenny, and Maitland is looking better all the time.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

I think Zebo is very talented... Good in defence and attack. He has the X factor of skills... Not just the flash... Just a natural player.

Wales 5 losses on the trot proves one thing.... AUS can deal with route 1.... They played the boks 3 times a season for the last 20 years... do you think they wouldnt have learnt to deal with big lumps yet????

North is less route 1 then cuthbert but until his try he's been very very quiet since the last 6n and one try doesn't make instant form... He'd be my back up left wing as he is talented...although a lot can change in 5 months.

Zeno has been lighting up the HC all season as well as impressing in the autumn.

Visser is a better attacker then north... 3 times team of the year in the Rabo ...in norths position proves that as well as player of the year. He's defence lets him down though.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:14 am

Halfp, Tips,R Jones. Maybe Cuthbert and at a stretch North but Phillips? *slow motion* NOOOooooooooooo..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:48 am

1/2p would be the only serious contender currently. Goode was superb yesterday though & Kearney had a nightmare.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:09 am

For me its too early to lay out a starting XV for Lions. I think much will be clearer after the 6 nations. Player's form and injury status will be more apparent. But regarding which players might be travelling, we can start to see who are putting themselves in good position for selection.

From Wales, clearly Halfpenny is in good position. Jones at looshead is also showing well. Not really sure about Roberts yet, or North frankly. Roberts is still recovering and North has been quiet. Philips I don't care for. Back row is so loaded with talent and depth that small margins will eventually separate a large group of very good players.

I'm not slighting Wales by mentioning only a few players. I wouldn't have picked more than a handful to be virtual certainties to travel from any other nation as well. Still too early in the 6 Nations for me.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:13 am

15. Halfpenny (Kearney and Hogg)
14. (Perhaps Cuthbert)
12. Roberts
11. North
9. Phillips (Thought so six months ago, now there are too many to select ahead of him)
7. Tipuric (Depends how many Gatland will take, but for me O'Brien and Robshaw will be first choice)
4. AWJ
3. Jones
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:45 am

Tramptastic wrote:I'm probably going to get mulched by the welsh here but I don't think AWJ is as good as people make him out to be... I mean don't get me wrong he's quite often really good but I'd take other locks over him even from his own team - Ian Evans for example I think is class!
Absolutely agree 100% 'Tastic.

Evans only crime, it seems, is being unfashionable. Wales dropped off hugely in the tight in the AIs when Evans was off getting married and I don't understand why more people can't make the leap that these two things are, in fact, connected. Evans is the first Welsh lock that I'd take.

Even lock is getting hugely competitive now - I'd barely heard of Launchbury prior to this season and already he's looking fairly indispensible for the team that's looking most likely to win the 6N now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:05 am

I would select Bradley Davies and Luke Charteris ahead of AWJ. It also pains me to admit that Ian Evans is a better lock than all 3.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:08 am

AWJ is one of the worst Int locks in the NH, he should not be a Lions starter

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down