The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV?

+22
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
Morgannwg
GunsGerms
Jimmy Moz
geoff998rugby
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
TrailApe
english warrior
mystiroakey
LondonTiger
t1000advancedprototype
George Carlin
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
welshboii15
Biltong
RubyGuby
TJ1
Steffan
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Poll

Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Vote_lcap58%Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 21 ]
Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Vote_lcap42%Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 36

Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Empty Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV?

Post by Steffan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

I think it could be possible although very unlikely

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Empty Re: Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV?

Post by TJ1 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:48 pm

FFS what is the point of this post? Just to try to stir up a row?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV? Empty Re: Will any non-Welsh players make the Lions first XV?

Post by RubyGuby Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:54 pm

I think the following non welsh players have a chance

Cuthbert
North
JD
Toby Fal and Ian Evans thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm

Steffan, tired lf the boxing forum?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

Lets be honest these stupid posts are pointless. Each player who tours welsh English Scottish or Irish each player is just as important as the one sitting next to him on the plane. So that means Adam Jones is just as important as Chris robshaw, richie grey or BOD and garland knows how important is that's why he's taking them which means each one has a chance of playing in the first test why would he want to leave out all the welsh they are just as able of making the side as the other nations players, any decent fan would want a welsh player and English player Scottish player and Irish player im the test team and there he more of one nation than the others accept it

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think the following non welsh players have a chance

Cuthbert
North
JD
Laugh Classic, Ruby - a Welshman out-wumming a Welsh WUM - superb, chapeau, sir

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Have you heard the one about the welshman, englishman, Irishman and Scots man ? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

Yea its call the lions

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

No - the Lions starts with, have you heard the one about the Tongan, Samoan, South African and New Zealander thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:No - the Lions starts with, have you heard the one about the Tongan, Samoan, South African and New Zealander thumbsup
Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

Biltong wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:No - the Lions starts with, have you heard the one about the Tongan, Samoan, South African and New Zealander thumbsup
Laugh

thumbsup I thought you'd like that one Biltong - I genuinely wish we had different qualifying criteria for the B&I Lions and with Gatland coaching it just seems like SH players plus SH coach help beat SH team -

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:16 pm

But surely there won't be that many SH'ers in the squad?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm

Manu, faletau, ian evans three for surts, maybe Hartley

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

Ian Evans may have been born in SA, but he grew up in the UK, I very much doubt he sees himself as a South African.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:41 pm

There is that old one of :

Q : What do you call a Scotsman on the Lions tour?
A : The manager.

Q : What do you call the other Scotsman on the lions tour?
A : The Doctor.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:42 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:There is that old one of :

Q : What do you call a Scotsman on the Lions tour?
A : The manager.

Q : What do you call the other Scotsman on the lions tour?
A : The Doctor.
Laugh Reminds me of:

Q. What do you call a man standing amongst a group of musicians?
A. The drummer.

Q. What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?
A. Homeless.

For the OP, there has never, ever been a Lions test XV with representation from only one nation.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:46 am

Englishman involved in the first test?
Andy Farrell

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:58 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:Englishman involved in the first test?
Andy Farrell George North's dad

Corrected for you

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

LondonTiger wrote:
t1000advancedprototype wrote:Englishman involved in the first test?
Andy Farrell George North's dad

Corrected for you

You're right. Yorkshire/Lancashire isn't classed as England by the RFU.
I still think Shaun Edwards will go.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:40 am

I had to vote No..

Clearly I am as crazy as the OP.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:41 am

RubyGuby wrote:Have you heard the one about the welshman, englishman, Irishman and Scots man ? thumbsup

Your not completly Welsh are you Chap.

You have Anglo In ya- I can tell

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:46 am

I can't see why there would be any player other than welsh players on this trip, as wales are the greatest Rugby side ever to grace the universe. So no, and whats more the Welsh have had so much success in the SH, why would anyone else from other teams be considered?

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 26 Mar 2013, 8:51 am

mystiroakey wrote:I had to vote No..

Clearly I am as crazy as the OP.

+1

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:36 am

There's a good chance of at least one each from Ireland, Scotland and England being in the match day 23.

How would the shift the blame ofa a 0-3 whitewash if it was a totally Welsh touring side?

Hang on - some of the back room staff are not Welsh.

Yeah, distinct possibilty of a total Welsh team. Nobody in the NH comes close to them and since Parisse is Italian you don't have to take him.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:38 am

Yep Wales are the best no doubts.. Why bother with English.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

As far as wums goes it's a bit lacking in originality. Though at least it's so far over the top it has comedy value Smile

And of course the correct answer would be
"Only if Robbie Deans gets to select the team - he's had lots of paractice beating Wales" Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:48 am

urine poor wind up - pointless

Wind ups need originality, wit, intelligence - this fails on all counts

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:45 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Have you heard the one about the welshman, englishman, Irishman and Scots man ? thumbsup

Your not completly Welsh are you Chap.

You have Anglo In ya- I can tell

You're confusing a balanced articulate welshman with anglo blood, it's a common misconception unfortunately thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

Not one of Steffan's better WUMs although it did make me lol a bit. In all fairness as silly as this article is I guess if England had won the Grandslam, lots of English supporters would be pushing for a relatively large English contingent along with the English press ie. The Torygraph gunning for "English Lions to achieve glory in Australia like Johnno and the boys did 10 years ago".

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

Given that Wales cant beat Australia for love nor money I hope there are quite a few Irish, English and Scots in the team.

Ireland have also won v Wales (in Wales) and Australia (in the SH) the last time they have played both teams. Should the Lions be made up of solely Irish. Of course not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:27 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think the following non welsh players have a chance

Cuthbert
North
JD

What's non welsh about North, JD and Evans?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

North and JD were born in England and Evans was born in South Africa?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

I put "no".

By the law of averages surely Wales will be able to beat Australia one day, even with Dan Biggar at 10!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:North and JD were born in England and Evans was born in South Africa?

Why would that make them non welsh? Do you know a single thing about any of these players?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:03 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:North and JD were born in England and Evans was born in South Africa?

Why would that make them non welsh? Do you know a single thing about any of these players?

Was this supposed to be a thread for sensible comments?? I thought any stupidity was welcome on here, given the nature of the OP.

I was about to post "10 reasons why Gavin Henson should tour", specifically for the benefit of poor Steffan.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Rooooob, you created this mess. As an
RubyGuby wrote:articulate welshman with anglo blood
please come and sort it out

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:29 pm

The difference between England and the other home nations was about the difference between say NZ and Tonga today. Far bigger then any gap today between Wales and the rest.

1st test 2001 - 8 Englishmen, 3 Welsh, 3 Irish, 1 Scot.

Even if a lions tour had been played in 2003 there wouldn't have been 15 Englishmen in the starting lineup (albeit only Tindall for BOD).

Sometimes lesser sides have better individuals..... it was the case then and its the case now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

As this is a wind up thread, I should point out that clearly RuggerRadge knows a single thing about them, none of them were born in Wales?!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

I know nothing about these players, except that the country they have chosen to represent at rugby is not the country of their Birth.

You couldn't say Flutey was an Englishman, or Visser is a Scotsman. It's an undeniable fact mate. Also Morgannwg, I'm not taking this thread seriously, the OP was rediculous and I was adding to this car wreck of a thread. thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

We still live in a patriarchal society and thus people will often make the following assumptions.... You're born in England to an English father with an English surname and ancestry... you're English. Which in most cases is probably correct.

Given North's mother is Welsh and he grew up for most of his childhood in Wales and speaks Welsh then that would dampen that assumption a little.... but I would still assume English is his first and dominant language.

He'll say he's Welsh obviously because he now represents the Welsh national side. Had he been a random member of society I think he would more likely be split 50/50 or more inclined to his English roots. Thats the pattern I've tended to see from similar situations.

Josh Lewsey apparently was Wales crazy as a kid, I know someone at Bristol who knew him during his uni days and they said that was his goal as a young teenager, to play for Wales.... yet if you ask him now after representing England if he was Welsh or English I couldn't imagine he'd say he was Welsh now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

I know nothing about these players, except that the country they have chosen to represent at rugby is not the country of their Birth.

You couldn't say Flutey was an Englishman, or Visser is a Scotsman. It's an undeniable fact mate. Also Morgannwg, I'm not taking this thread seriously, the OP was rediculous and I was adding to this car wreck of a thread. thumbsup

Just got to butt in here and say that North, JD and Evans are the same as Barritt, Tuilagi, and the other players that get abuse for not being 'English'- they play for a country other than that which they were born in. No problem there, they have the right to play for whoever they are eligible for. Rules are rules.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

To be honest I have a Welsh first name, and surname, and a Welsh father with a welsh first and surname, however I was born in Hampshire, and my mother is English (well half English half irish). I moved to Wales when I was 2, but that still doesn't stop me getting play full ribbing every time Wales play England about me being English.

This thread is not exactly the most serious one going. Danny Lydaite could be added to that list too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Just got to butt in here and say that North, JD and Evans are the same as Barritt, Tuilagi, and the other players that get abuse for not being 'English'- they play for a country other than that which they were born in. No problem there, they have the right to play for whoever they are eligible for. Rules are rules.

As I said Blues, this thread is an abortion anyway. I was just adding to the carnage.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

As I said Blues, this thread is an abortion anyway. I was just adding to the carnage.

Absolutely Radge, I agree. Just nice to see some clarification over the rules that don't appear to segregate England!

Poor WUM thread anyway as you've said.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:24 pm

At the end of the day we're just Wenglish, No, it's not at the end of the day, let's make at 3-30 we're just Wenglish thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm

RubyGuby wrote:At the end of the day we're just Wenglish, No, it's not at the end of the day, let's make at 3-30 we're just Wenglish thumbsup

laughing

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

RubyGuby wrote:At the end of the day we're just Wenglish, No, it's not at the end of the day, let's make at 3-30 we're just Wenglish thumbsup

Assuming you are using the standard mechanism of Home team first, I agree. That was the real score. Anyone who thinks differently is still affected by that hallucinogenic cloud that passed over Wales about 10 days ago.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

Not sure if its the same in the rest of the world...but at least here if you're from the UK, it doesn't matter how much you try and explain... you're English.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:31 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:To be honest I have a Welsh first name, and surname, and a Welsh father with a welsh first and surname, however I was born in Hampshire, and my mother is English (well half English half irish). I moved to Wales when I was 2, but that still doesn't stop me getting play full ribbing every time Wales play England about me being English.

This thread is not exactly the most serious one going. Danny Lydaite could be added to that list too.

On a serious note. Thats a difference between the Welsh and the English. If you grew up in England- no one would bat an eyelid that you had some welsh in ya

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

My wife is convinced she's the quintessential english colonial woman being brought up in Africa within an established english mining family. However, I can guarantee there's often plenty of welsh in her thumbsup thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next