The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

+49
ME-109
The Great Aukster
B91212
aitchw
HammerofThunor
funnyExiledScot
Breadvan
Big
Hound_of_Harrow
Tattie Scones RRN
Sugarlump
Comfort
mr_stonelea
BigTrevsbigmac
Cardiff Taffy
A World Cup and 3 Finals
doctor_grey
dragonbreath
Exiledinborders
Morgannwg
ChequeredJersey
NeilyBroon
pjm1
Duty281
belovedfrosties
GloriousEmpire
Glas a du
Feckless Rogue
Geordie
twoeightnine
Jimpy
AlastairW
gregortree
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Luckless Pedestrian
Barney McGrew did it
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
nobbled
George Carlin
beshocked
fa0019
Cyril
captain carrantuohil
maestegmafia
RuggerRadge2611
Bathman_in_London
Portnoy's Complaint
53 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 2 Empty Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

First topic message reminder :

This quote is from a BBC R5 sports news headline broadcast just now.
To be frank, I can't find a written report for the Welsh slight but the English comment is reported in http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176203.html and so it comes as the expected

Dear Jim,
Don't you mean "Irish too arrogant and the Scots too lazy"?

Nothing like a bit of harmony between the Home Nations before B&I Lions selections.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 2 Empty Re: Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by AlastairW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

Morgannwg wrote:Alex Cuthbert has responded: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21250809

I rather liked Cuthbert's response actually. No ranting back, slinging mud, just pointed out that he was wrong and backed it up with examples. The Beeb headline not so much, 'Alex Cuthbert hits back at Jim Telfer's 'lazy' jibe' - i guess that's as sensationalist as they could make a level headed response.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 2 Empty Re: Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

My heart sank when I saw the Cuthbert headline, but as you say all he's done is disagreed politely with Jim Telfer.

For what it's worth, I think there's a lot of truth in what Telfer said about Wales, historically at least.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

NeilyBroon wrote:.............but I disagree about the English being arrogant (with the exception of Danny Care, who radiates arrogant toerag)...........
How can anyone be arrogant with a RainMan haircut like his?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:09 am

Ahh yes, only January, snow just gone, but the first signs of spring are here. Snowdrops are budding in my garden, and in Celtic lands we get the first glimpse of that popular hardy perennial: English Arrogance.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:59 am

doctor_grey wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:.............but I disagree about the English being arrogant (with the exception of Danny Care, who radiates arrogant toerag)...........

With a great deal of self delusion Wink

This said he's a very good player but that's probably because he's such a little sh**

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:01 am

Scrum halves and hookers are little sh**s. It's in their job descriptions.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:08 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

With a great deal of self delusion Wink

This said he's a very good player but that's probably because he's such a little sh**

Going to stick up for my club SH here. There are a few interviews with him for the RFU fans on their YouTube page if you want to get a gauge on his character, and he's actually a quite down to earth yorkshireman.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

Danny Care seems decent enough. It's Ben Youngs who comes across as an 'arrogant toerag'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:23 am

I guess arrogance is like beauty.... its all in the eye of the beholder.

Danny has dealt with his off field 'issues', and young Ben ? decent enough lad I thought. You need a SH to be self confident and to be able to boss the pack.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

Following the Telfer outburst, Scots governmant has re-arranged the Scots independence referendum question, according to the BBC:

"The Scottish government has agreed to change the wording of its independence referendum question, after concerns it may lead people to vote 'Yes'. The wording of the question will now be altered to: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" "

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Isn't it the 'independent' bit that is loaded?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

As loaded as the Rugby Special 3pm out of Waterloo on Saturday. Problem with the 4pm kickoff it gives the fans and Jim most of Saturday in London / Richmond to get loaded before the kickoff. Wonder what diplomatic gems Jim has to say after he's had a few sherbets ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Nothing like a good cliché - arrogant English, thick Irish, tight Scots, sheep sh*gging Welsh etc. The lovely thing is, is that in my experience, the opposite is nearly always the truth, which is why the original slurs were probably applied - although I haven't quite worked out what the opposite of a sheep sh*gger is yet Whistle

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

A taker?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

Glas a du wrote:A taker?

That one brightened up my day! laughing clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

I surprised Telfer hasn't come in for more criticism for his outburst. It's harndly in the spirit of Rugby Union to make quite such direct statements about each other. There was nothing tongue in check or witted about what he said. He was just rude and arrogant himself. In fact it's something I would expect a Wendyballer to say.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:05 pm

A bit of a shame really. Jim Telfer should be remembered as a great player & coach.
I hope he isn't invited to produce any more of these type of rants which will not do him any favours.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

Well as a pretentious man AND a lazy one, I might start supporting London Welsh

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:42 pm

English Arrogant?
Telfer dares speak about England??? Why that dirty sodding ratbastard. How dare he speak about his betters like that? I remember back in the good old days before these modern day namby pamby liberal laws and things, we could have him sent to him to the colonies in just the clothes on his back. Or, better yet, straight to Tyburn Hill. Well, I am sure 20 lashes will put his attitude a'right.
Nervy little cumquat, he.

England arrogant? You must be kidding.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

Lazy generalisations Jim.
Braveheart

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

Im not even gonna bother replying to big Jim Wales

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

He's made me feel all arrogant now.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

I think Danny Care's trendy hair needs to be defended. That is apparently fashionable, as is wearing chunky (sometimes lensless) glasses and walking around dressed as a 1930's homosexual elvis

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

Nice one Jim.......always needed saying! clap

ALL nations have their own wee vices.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

gregortree wrote:He's made me feel all arrogant now.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

Because I had a Welsh Nana I'm too lazy to go and shower, because I'm English I'm so arrogant to believe I smell better than everyone else anyway! Ok!

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

Someone really should have pointed out Scotland's record in the last half dozen 6N to big Jim.*

His comments are frankly, embarrassing, and not the sort of tripe that should be coming from such a great player. He has lost a lot of my respect.

* Sorry Scotland fans, that's not a dig, but with your recent record Telfer sounds like he is away with the fairies.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Surely it's a scrum half's job to radiate arrogant toerag on the pitch?

Yeah, I noted that two of the noted players were SHs. Surely being a cocky git is part of the job!!

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

Taxi to the sheltered accommodation for ol jim...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:36 pm

I say taxi to The Scrum Half in Maindee Newport for Jim.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I say taxi to The Scrum Half in Maindee Newport for Jim.

No, leave him alone.
I think Jim may be onto something.
I'm feeling unusually arrogant, so he could have been right all along.
And those 4 tries were so slow and boring.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

It appears the French are arrogant and lazy

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Is the Welsh national dish cheese on toast because everyone is just too lazy to come up with something that takes longer to cook? Headscratch

Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 04 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

Can't believe Jim Telfer - I mean the Welsh weren't lazy at all on Saturday, only playing 40 minutes rather than 80.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:59 am

I think The Telegraph were hoping Big Jim would retract his per tournament statement on England after they had won their opening matches.

Nope..!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/scotland/9868579/Six-Nations-2013-former-Scotland-and-Lions-coach-Jim-Telfer-unrepentant-after-claiming-England-too-arrogant.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:02 pm

Another person basing their options of a group of people on the media

Moronic

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

It adds fuel to the contention that most sportsmen, just like most actors, so far from having microphones shoved up their noses at all times, should be forced, as a condition of their employment, never to utter a public word on any subject whatever. If thinking logically had been their strength, they'd have become chess players or philosophers.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:23 pm

Come on guys, Telfer just adds a little spice to the proceedings and no-one is likely to commit suicide because he doesn't like us. I am surprised some Scots ever managed to run onto the field of play considering the size of the chip on their shoulder but I doubt my opinion is going to upset any of them.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:48 pm

Mrs Telfer must look like she's sucking a lemon when Big Jim gets his birthday blowey as he's sooo fookin bitter! vomit

I live on the south coast, when I'm working I must meet a scottish person that lives here almost everyday. Yesterday a very nice chap from Glasgow who'd lived down here for twenty years told me 'God no, I've never been back'. Surely we can't all be arrogant, self-important a$$holes if that were the case?! chin

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

aitchw wrote:Come on guys, Telfer just adds a little spice to the proceedings and no-one is likely to commit suicide because he doesn't like us. I am surprised some Scots ever managed to run onto the field of play considering the size of the chip on their shoulder but I doubt my opinion is going to upset any of them.
If there was a chip that size Aitch, the average Scot would have doused it in salt and sauce and eaten it long ago.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

Laugh

Telfer's comments are ammusing nothing more. His comments are not represntative of Scottish people.

We don't think you are arrogant!

Although I can understand his comments re- the BBC. John "so Let's talk about England" Inverdale is a prime example...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

You're right, of course, George. How I miss a black pudding supper on my way to up Glen Coe for a weekend's climbing. When it comes to 'sledging' he doesn't come close to the Aussies.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:40 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote: Laugh

Telfer's comments are ammusing nothing more. His comments are not represntative of Scottish people.

We don't think you are arrogant!

Although I can understand his comments re- the BBC. John "so Let's talk about England" Inverdale is a prime example...

Ended up going to the Calcutta this year with a Scot Rugger, and it was one of the best days i've ever had. Ended up with a sore head the next day mind you! Hug

We both had quite a laugh over Telfer's comments actually, over a rather nice single malt from the hipflask he stashed in his battle regalia. NOW i know why you lot have all that fancy stuff, nothing to do with tribes and war .. just a great way to sneak whisky past the staff!

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

Cheers Radge, much love to yer fella! kiss

Poor John Inverdale, he does get some stick, I think he's improved massively as a presenter the last couple of years, I happen to like his lupine quality. He will be contractually obligated to talk about what the producers tell him to although I admit it is annoying when England aren't involved.

I wonder whether BBC Scotland/Wales/NI could do their own presentation to the coverage although the costing of so many presenters, experts and pundits would make it unfeasible?

Wish England could have a version of ScumV, do it like a question time forum around the country in rugby clubs mid-week during the 6N although thats a subject for another thread.

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:07 pm

aitchw wrote:You're right, of course, George. How I miss a black pudding supper on my way to up Glen Coe for a weekend's climbing. When it comes to 'sledging' he doesn't come close to the Aussies.
Living in Canada I just miss black pudding full stop Crying or Very sad. I don't, however, miss John Inverdale in the slightest.......

Last edited by B91212 on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Crap English, must use the preview post feature more)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

greytiger wrote:This quote is from a BBC R5 sports news headline broadcast just now.
To be frank, I can't find a written report for the Welsh slight but the English comment is reported in http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176203.html and so it comes as the expected.

Back to OP.
We have to wait until the big match up on 16th March to see how Telfer's chracterisations are borne out.
I fear for sanity on 606 whatever the result at the 'diff.
Standby mods for that moment......

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

gregortree wrote:
greytiger wrote:This quote is from a BBC R5 sports news headline broadcast just now.
To be frank, I can't find a written report for the Welsh slight but the English comment is reported in http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176203.html and so it comes as the expected.

Back to OP.
We have to wait until the big match up on 16th March to see how Telfer's chracterisations are borne out.
I fear for sanity on 606 whatever the result at the 'diff.
Standby mods for that moment......
I've checked the holiday sheets. They're all on leave apart from biltong Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

Laugh poor old Bil.
WW3 broke out at the AIs and he was the only Mod left on watch.
Had a few fatal casualties then : Hersh, GG/ AWOP, maybe others ?
And Bil had to take some unscheduled convalescence leave... can't blame him. Surely it should be someone else's shift come 16th March ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

gregortree wrote: Laugh poor old Bil.
WW3 broke out at the AIs and he was the only Mod left on watch.
Had a few fatal casualties then : Hersh, GG/ AWOP, maybe others ?
And Bil had to take some unscheduled convalescence leave... can't blame him. Surely it should be someone else's shift come 16th March ?

Nah, they just all chipped in and bought Bilt a suit of Ned Kelly stylee armour to weather the inevitable sh1tstorm.

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm

So in light of Marler's comments was Jim right?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next