The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

+49
ME-109
The Great Aukster
B91212
aitchw
HammerofThunor
funnyExiledScot
Breadvan
Big
Hound_of_Harrow
Tattie Scones RRN
Sugarlump
Comfort
mr_stonelea
BigTrevsbigmac
Cardiff Taffy
A World Cup and 3 Finals
doctor_grey
dragonbreath
Exiledinborders
Morgannwg
ChequeredJersey
NeilyBroon
pjm1
Duty281
belovedfrosties
GloriousEmpire
Glas a du
Feckless Rogue
Geordie
twoeightnine
Jimpy
AlastairW
gregortree
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Luckless Pedestrian
Barney McGrew did it
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
nobbled
George Carlin
beshocked
fa0019
Cyril
captain carrantuohil
maestegmafia
RuggerRadge2611
Bathman_in_London
Portnoy's Complaint
53 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 3 Empty Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

First topic message reminder :

This quote is from a BBC R5 sports news headline broadcast just now.
To be frank, I can't find a written report for the Welsh slight but the English comment is reported in http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/176203.html and so it comes as the expected

Dear Jim,
Don't you mean "Irish too arrogant and the Scots too lazy"?

Nothing like a bit of harmony between the Home Nations before B&I Lions selections.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 3 Empty Re: Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

The Great Aukster wrote:So in light of Marler's comments was Jim right?

What did he say?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy - Page 3 Empty Re: Jim Telfer describes English as too arrogant and Welsh too lazy

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:20 am

HammerofThunor wrote:

What did he say?

He didnt say that england would win the world cup tomorrow, nor did a paper report that he said that.Someone (with a lengthy track record of doing such things and ironically also a lengthy track record of whinging about WUMs) posted on here in a way that suggested he did if you only read the title of the post in a thinly veiled attempt to start a pathetic squabble.
And the earth still kept spinning.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:46 am

Jim Telfer is a very wise and honest man

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:59 am

"The quality of tea is not strained
it floweth from 10,000 percolations that let 'flavwr flwd owt.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:11 am

He was a professional wrestler as a young man you know.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:06 am

Jim Telfer is George North's grandaddy!

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

Marler can be arrogant. But a nation ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:41 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

What did he say?

He didnt say that england would win the world cup tomorrow, nor did a paper report that he said that.Someone (with a lengthy track record of doing such things and ironically also a lengthy track record of whinging about WUMs) posted on here in a way that suggested he did if you only read the title of the post in a thinly veiled attempt to start a pathetic squabble.

To say you are bending the truth a little bit there would be a gross understatement.

I posted an article about how the press manipulated what Joe Marler said into something far more sensational.

If you read the article it was incredibly clear that Joe is not an arrogant man. Quite the opposite, he was very honest and gave a good insight into the feeling and environment inside the England camp.

Something reinforced by Gatlands experience with England this week.

Point being it is the press who manipulate stories and we read them and extrapolate our individual conculsions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:52 am

Maes, I wholly agree with you for once. clap I too despise tabloid sensationalism. Shame when it sometimes spills onto these boards as WUM fodder.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

What did he say?

To be fair PSW he may have a track record but he did make a point that it was a twisting of Marler's words by the media.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

maestegmafia wrote:I posted an article about how the press manipulated what Joe Marler said into something far more sensational.

If you read the article it was incredibly clear that Joe is not an arrogant man. Quite the opposite, he was very honest and gave a good insight into the feeling and environment inside the England camp.

Thing is, you did EXACTLY the same as the Telegraph. The article was decent - but the headline was innaccurate, sensationalised and gave completely the wrong impression to anyone who merely skims topics. You in effect became what you claim to despise. A neutral headline would have better served the article - HoT I think tried to suggest this, but somehow you got offended and defensive. HoT is a decent and reasonable poster and did not deserve the venom you chose to direct at him just because you have issues with me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

LT,
I thought that thread was fine. The headline on the thread certainly appeared to imply something was afoot. But instead a good piece about journalistic exaggeration and sensation combined with Marler coming across as a decent guy. Glad I read it.

Maybe we were all a little off with that thread because we (English) were a bit too arrogant and Maes (Welsh) was too lazy.
......Guys, you like the way I brought in the Telfer comments? I give myself credit for being a genius (arrogant), but maybe 25% lazy through my gram.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:40 am

Doc,

I do not disagree with you. I just feel it is ironic that the OP did exactly the same as the newspaper (ie a decent article with a garbage headline) when trying to point out "lazy journalism". This only becomes an issue because there are so many people who only really take in the headlines. So I still stand by my opinion that the article by Maes was decent but with a misleading headline and deserved a better headline.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:57 am

doctor_grey wrote:LT,
I thought that thread was fine. The headline on the thread certainly appeared to imply something was afoot. But instead a good piece about journalistic exaggeration and sensation combined with Marler coming across as a decent guy. Glad I read it.

Maybe we were all a little off with that thread because we (English) were a bit too arrogant and Maes (Welsh) was too lazy.
......Guys, you like the way I brought in the Telfer comments? I give myself credit for being a genius (arrogant), but maybe 25% lazy through my gram.

Good one Doc..!

I certainly didn't disagree with Telfers summation of the Welsh.

Glad you enjoyed you liked the article. I thought it was a worthy peace to post. Marler is often presumed to be quite different to how he can across.

Good hardworking youngster and an asset to Quins and England, maybe the Lions too if he has a good remainder of the six nations.

Never know he may well see his RWC ambition fulfilled.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

Telfer is at again with his jibes against the competition:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26519030

So last year it was England that were "not nearly as good as they think they are" - this time around it's Wales. Poor old guy I think the recent run of poor form is making him a little bitter!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:56 pm

To be fair the French didn't turn up against Scotland either but they still lost. Wales might not be as good as 'they' think they are (I'm not sure who 'they' is, but I hear 'they' often talk out of the 'their' backside...I have a felling 'they' might be Telfer).

Scotland can win, of course they can. But Wales are without doubt favourites.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:57 pm

The guy is a legend, he's earnt his opinion the hard way... through graft and graft alone.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:Telfer is at again with his jibes against the competition:

So last year it was England that were "not nearly as good as they think they are" - this time around it's Wales.  Poor old guy I think the recent run of poor form is making him a little bitter!

I think Telfer, with what he has achieved in his career (and I'm talking about teaching as well as coaching) has more right than most to give his opinion rather than some non-entity hiding behind a keyboard.

A little patronising don't you think?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:11 pm

Tend to think that Telfer does invite that kind of comment, myself. It's not as though he ever has anything especially positive to say about anyone since he retired.

And no, I don't think that his track record as coach or player gives him more or less right to an opinion than a child of ten, since you have posited that notion. Big Jim has a habit, in any case, of conflating rugby teams with whole nationalities, which makes me immediately suspicious of much of what he has to say. A legendary hard man who doesn't mind trading off that reputation and should expect a bit of a return kicking from time to time.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:17 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Cardiff Taffy wrote:Telfer is at again with his jibes against the competition:

So last year it was England that were "not nearly as good as they think they are" - this time around it's Wales.  Poor old guy I think the recent run of poor form is making him a little bitter!

I think Telfer, with what he has achieved in his career (and I'm talking about teaching as well as coaching) has more right than most to give his opinion rather than some non-entity hiding behind a keyboard.

A little patronising don't you think?

Touchy!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

Telfer's coaching record earns him respect, and the right to express his opinion in the media. It does not mean his views should be accepted without any criticism, nor does it make his views correct all the time.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:33 pm

Does he offer any assessment of his own side? I don't think he can argue Wales were lazy in the last 5 minutes in 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paK0wdPVH3I

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:17 pm

Quite sad really.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:06 pm

I'd be bitter losing to an undeserving France like that.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:07 pm

Scratch wrote:Does he offer any assessment of his own side? I don't think he can argue Wales were lazy in the last 5 minutes in 2010

4 years ago ? Do keep up. It's 2014..

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:32 am

gregortree wrote:
Scratch wrote:Does he offer any assessment of his own side? I don't think he can argue Wales were lazy in the last 5 minutes in 2010

apologies, when did scotland beat wales in cardiff last?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 11 Mar 2014, 7:03 am

LondonTiger wrote:Telfer's coaching record earns him respect, and the right to express his opinion in the media.  It does not mean his views should be accepted without any criticism, nor does it make his views correct all the time.
He has the right to his opinions on rugby. His pathetic prejudice that all people from the South of England are arrogant and pretentious are idiotic. Anybody who expresses such opinions should be roundly jeered.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Mar 2014, 7:06 am

gregortree wrote:

We should let SCW know Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 11 Mar 2014, 7:13 am

Point is, Where are regular posters Glas and luckless gone to?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3