The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mike blair retires from international rugby

+11
jimbopip
nickj
21st Century Schizoid Man
Imperialbigdave
RDW
IanBru
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
Majestic83
15 posters

Go down

mike blair retires from international rugby Empty mike blair retires from international rugby

Post by Majestic83 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:12 am

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/edinburgh-news/4612-blair-retires-from-international-rugby

Just announced on the edinburgh site that blair has retired from international duty.
Bit surprised at this, thought he might have fought to try and get 100 caps.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

mike blair retires from international rugby Empty Re: mike blair retires from international rugby

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:15 am

He's smart enough to know to quite while still fondly remembered.

A fantastic player and he has been a great servent for Scottish Rugby.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

mike blair retires from international rugby Empty Re: mike blair retires from international rugby

Post by Majestic83 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:19 am

Yep a great player over the last 10 years, 85 caps 14 as captain and a lions tour. Not many achieve that and he has had some stiff competition from Cusiter and to an extent Lawson for most of those years.

Wonder is this has been known for a while hence Laidlaw switching back to 9 again for Edinburgh?!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

Another great servant to Scottish rugby, one in a log line of good scrumhalves that we have produced. Felt his powers were waning recently and clearly his love to France and another child have focused his priorities, so fair enough - thank you, Mikey Blair clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

Whilst I'm generally not a fan of players "retiring" from international rugby, Mike Blair deserves an ovation for his efforts.

At the peak of his game he mixed it with the very best, and as well as great game management abilities, he was none too slow from the base of the ruck either.

One of my (many) Scottish rugby regrets is that he and CP weren't given sufficient opportunity to form a half back pairing. I think there was serious untapped potential there. Still, his drop goal from the base of the ruck will live long in my memory.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:22 pm

Wow. Still makes him our most capped scrum half.

It's easy to forget how great he was - I think that the only other scrum half to be nominated as an IRB Player of the Year in the past decade was Fabien Galthié. Exalted company indeed.

Three world cups and a Lions tour. A dedicated Edinburgh man too.

Apparently he and his family are loving their time in France and good luck to them too.

A class act. clap
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Great player, and will be missed. I always thought that the failure of Scotland's back division was not learning to anticipate the breaks made by Blair.

Hats off to the man. Whisky
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

Aye one of Scotland's greatest ever scrum halfs and one of my favourite players. Sad to see him go!

His form in 2008 was sensational and thoroughly deserved his IRB nomination that year. His form did drop a little in 2009 but still think it was a joke that he wasn't originally selected for the Lions tour.

A great player for Scotland and definitely wish him all the best in the future! clap

p.s. I definitely think this has been on the cards for a while and lead to Laidlaw playing at 9.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

IanBru wrote:Great player, and will be missed. I always thought that the failure of Scotland's back division was not learning to anticipate the breaks made by Blair.

Very much agree with this. At times he was in a different timezone to his Scotland team mates, who were often just waiting to chase the latest Dan Parks hoof, rather than watching what was going on around them.

He'd have been a better player in a better team, if that makes sense.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 07 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

Imagine what Blair couldve done in a SANZAR team.

One of the best covering scrumhalfs around aswell. He was like an extra fullback when receiving kicks.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 Jan 2013, 4:55 pm

Yes Mike Blair was a terrific SH who will be missed with only Laidlaw and Pyrgos in the mix now clap

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 07 Jan 2013, 5:03 pm

I think Cusiter will have at least another year left in him - he needs to get fit and stay fit though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 07 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

A cracking servant of Scottish rugby. A true gent and a class act. I wish him and his family all the best.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 07 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

All we should be saying to Mike Blair is, " So long and thanks for the fish"
and he delivered a few big ones! A cracker of a scrum half and a great servant to Scottish rugby. Thanks Mike

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

I guess he thought it would be better to retire now, whilst he is still fit and healthy. Rather than have to retire through injury.

Have a good retirement mike.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

Well, the scrum-half crises that the more cynical of us predicted looks to have come to pass. For the Six Nations we will now have Pyrgos with two caps, one start; Laidlaw with no starts at scrum-half; Lawson and, if we're desperate, McMillan. I'd be surprised if Laidlaw bring hurriedly reverted to a scrum-half wasn't due to advanced knowledge of Blair retiring.

Credit to Blair, he often played well in a very poor team.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm

With the current news, I was just having a gander on the Brive website, with google translating into english and looked at the squad list to see Jamie Noon listed as an "englishwoman".
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:36 pm

Quite a surprise to read this in the headlines.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 08 Jan 2013, 8:07 am

Great player in his day. It's always the sign of a team man to be able to admit when his powers are waning and move aside. I agree with those saying that the SRU may have known in advance with Laidlaw suddenly moving back to SH.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down