The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Wagga retires from International Rugby

+9
Scot Abroad
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
eirebilly
George Carlin
Cari
IanBru
RuggerRadge2611
13 posters

Go down

Big Wagga retires from International Rugby Empty Big Wagga retires from International Rugby

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

Nathan Hines has called time on his international career and has decided to retire at 77 caps. The monster lock and Lions tourist has been a brilliant player for Scotland and I certainly wish him all the best as he focuses on his club rugby from now on.

On his retirement Hines said :

“I wanted to finish my career on my terms and didn’t want to be the player that played one year too many. I will always want to play for Scotland, even when I’m 50 I’ll still want to play, but I guess it’s time to move on. This was the reason I was so emotional after the England game as I know how difficult it will be to give up,”

http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/2301/2/
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Big Wagga retires from International Rugby Empty Re: Big Wagga retires from International Rugby

Post by IanBru Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

What a legend - a great player. I'm very sad to see him go.

The discussion of Scotland's second row future can come later. For now, let's pay tribute to Big Nathan, a guy who gave everything for Scotland and the Lions.

Last edited by IanBru on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Big Wagga retires from International Rugby Empty Re: Big Wagga retires from International Rugby

Post by Cari Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Awh I like Hines. Top bloke. All the best to the big man. clap I wonder if there's a coaching place for him somewhere in Scotland if he wanted it?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

A ligind.

The guy is a winner - Top 14 championship with Perpignon, already a try scorer with Clermont, a Lions tourist and a Heineken Cup winner. Leinster are missing him badly this season already.

AND he tw@tted Lee 'Tom Daly' Byrne in the face in 2008.

What's not to like? You have to like anyone from a town called Wagga Wagga.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

Massive servent to Scottish rugby. He will be missed. Good luck to him with his club rugby.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:51 am

Brilliant player. He was a massive player for Leinster, one of the best of some brilliant foreign imports to grace Irish rugby.

Scotland seem to have plenty of quality at lock but certainly Hines was still international standard for sure and still added something for Scotland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:16 pm

notworthy We are not worthy, sir clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Absolute legend, not just for Scotland but the game in general. You wouldn't find many people saying a bad word about him and luckily O'sullivan's false accusation about choking O'Gara didn't turn into anything. Such a shame he didn't make the test squad for the Lions tour but he did do himself proud while out there.

Expected this to come (based on the tears after the England game) so no surprise, but sad to see him go!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Would have liked to see him in the 6N squad but I understand his reasoning for retiring. Good luck to him, he was a legend in the blue.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

Reckon he'll end his career in a Scottish club shirt ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

No, he's just gone to ASM on a 2-3(can't remember which)-yr contract - think he'll hang up his boots after that, probably back in Oz OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

Fantastic player Hines (at lock).

Scotland have had some enforcers down the years, Damian Cronin and Jim Hamilton are two examples, but to be both an enforcer and a good ball player marks out Hines as a special player.

His partnership with Scott Murray remains the best second row partnership I can recall Scotland having. Hopefully Hamilton, Gray and Kellock can forge something to now top them.

Is he the best "non-Scot" to play for Scotland? Debatable, but he's certain the one that's made the biggest contribution.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

No fES

That accolade needs to go to the chainsaw!!!!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

I was thinking more John Leslie or Sean Lineen, but now you mention it yes, the Chainsaw was a right highlight in the early 90's. A player who had it all.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

....and lost it on the way over to Edinburgh.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

"That accolade needs to go to the chainsaw!!!!."

Doh Laugh

Does anyone actually remember him cutting through any defence?

Good luck to Hines...good player...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Does anyone actually remember him cutting through any defence?

Sort of. He was often responsible for the openning of the Scotland defence. He was unbelievably slow on the turn which made him the ideal fullback for opposition strike runners.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Does anyone actually remember him cutting through any defence?

Sort of. He was often responsible for the openning of the Scotland defence. He was unbelievably slow on the turn which made him the ideal fullback for opposition strike runners.

He was also generally slower than Rick Perry's powers of recall.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:51 am

Slower also than Herman Cain or George Bush. In fact they should just rename the Republican Party the Brendan Laney Party.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down