The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chunk retires from international rugby

+6
George Carlin
RDW
EWT Spoons
TJ1
IanBru
caz
10 posters

Go down

Chunk retires from international rugby  Empty Chunk retires from international rugby

Post by caz Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:58 pm

http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/3250/2/

Really sad news Sad

caz

Back to top Go down

Chunk retires from international rugby  Empty Re: Chunk retires from international rugby

Post by IanBru Mon 19 Nov 2012, 1:06 pm

What a legend - runs like a pudding, but he always looks like a ball of pure East Lothian beligerence.

I'll never forget his try against Northampton in the HK a couple seasons back - broke the line like a centre, sidestepped like a winger, then plopped down... like a prop.

Chunk is far and away my favorite Scotland forward, and I'll miss him.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Chunk retires from international rugby  Empty Re: Chunk retires from international rugby

Post by TJ1 Mon 19 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

We like 'em chunky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znImfTklt-U

NBice little tribute - been kicking around a while

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 19 Nov 2012, 1:24 pm

Big fan of the prop from prestonpans.

I think this is the end of his career in general. I suspect that come the end of the season he'll retire from rugby completely. He's said himself that he needs to play regularly, and he's not getting that at international or pro level with all the chopping and changing going on.

I could be wrong, and this is entirely speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if he called it quits in the summer.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Nov 2012, 1:47 pm

Chunk - an absolute legend and firm fans favourite.

And what's there not to like about a man reminiscent of the good 'ole days, when props were wee fat boys with anger management issues, and you couldn't understand a word they said!

He's been such a servant for Scottish rugby and has really held his own in the loosehead shirt for so many years. The fact that Grant has only taken over from him as the number 1 number 1 says it all really.

It has been a bit of a mess this announcement though - left out last week for 'personal reasons' and then the Herald spoilt the story by reporting it this morning. Suspect there's been issues behind the scenes that we'll never find out about.

Chunk deserved one last hurrah against the ABs and then to walk onto the pitch for a farewell to the fans against SA. Hopefully he gets that in the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 19 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

Chunk. A bona fide ligind and last of the old school who believed that 10 pints after a light training session was their god given right. What an absolute servant he has been for the Scottish game and his longevity has been impressive given the rigours of the modern game.

The only man who looks worse in the skintight Edinburgh match day shirts than me - Mr Jacobson, we salute you. thumbsup
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 19 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

Crying or Very sad Sad to see one of my favourite players retire.
Hopefully see him presenting the match ball against Italy next year.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon 19 Nov 2012, 2:56 pm

I always enjoyed watching his cameo's in the loose, nice hands for a big fella

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Nov 2012, 3:07 pm

My favourite Chunk memories have to be any time he does well in a scrum - the man lives by them! Remember a game a year or two ago when he had dominated his opposite man and got a penalty - he moved back into position straight away to set up for another scrum, only to find out the captain (bravely!) had decided to go for points! The look of disappointment on his face that he wasn't getting more scrum!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 19 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

Well... quite surprised and unusual timing. Maybe he's finding the puff is no longer there for high tempo modern rugby... but he certainly had enough of the growl and I enjoyed him. If there was a fight or a niggle... he' be there holding his own.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 19 Nov 2012, 5:21 pm

Chunk from the Goonies. That's a classic nickname! Laugh

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down