The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

+78
t1000advancedprototype
overlordofthewest
Josiah Maiestas
2ndtimeround
ScarletSpiderman
senghenydd1913
thomh
GloriousEmpire
TJ1
BlueNote
Glas a du
sickofwendy
bedfordwelsh
MacKnocked-on
wales606
whocares
blackcanelion
100%beefy
lostinwales
Ospreydragon
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
Thomond
TrailApe
Chjw131
Pal Joey
beshocked
nathan
Brian Moores Twin
Pot Hale
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
RuggerRadge2611
quangut
glamorganalun
nobbled
sirBiggles
HammerofThunor
Sugarlump
Scarpia
Jimpy
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Effervescing Elephant
tatterd
dragonbreath
Morgannwg
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gregortree
cabbagesandbrussels
mystiroakey
disneychilly
Cyril
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Standulstermen
thebluesmancometh
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
Hound_of_Harrow
emack2
englandglory4ever
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
AlastairW
Barney McGrew did it
offload
Taylorman
Geordie
RuggerBoy
mr_stonelea
GunsGerms
Duty281
82 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 15 Empty The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
Winston Churchill

In just over 4 weeks, Stuart Lancaster's England will start their quest for Grand Slam glory. It has to be said that this is England's best chance since 2003 for a Grand Slam. Really, for the Northern Hemisphere's biggest Rugby nation not to have clinched a Grand Slam for 10 years is a poor return. That will surely change on the 16th March.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.”
Winston Churchill

This amount of optimism stems from a hugely encouraging 2012 for the English rugby team. 4 wins out of 5 in last year's Six Nations with a fairly new team, then a character-building tour to South Africa, running South Africa and Australia close at the home of Rugby, before ending the year by beating the World Champions and running in 3 tries against them. 2013 will be the year that it all comes together for England.

"The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm."
Alexander Woollcott

2013 for England will start with a game home to Scotland. Unless there's a downpour, Scotland have little hope. Expect England to rack up 25+ points and a multitude of tries against inferior opposition.

"Let not England forget her precedence of teaching nations how to live."
John Milton

Then, away to Ireland. Often, the Irish are seen as a bogey team for England but let's be rational. England are better in every department as they proved in 2012. I'll be looking for a very very good result from England in this game.

"You must hate a Frenchman as you do the devil."
Lord Nelson

The third game will be the biggest of the lot. Home to the French at Twickenham. Beaten by England in Paris in 2012, France will be beaten by England in London in 2013. No mistake though, this game will be the toughest challenge that England will face in the 2013 Six Nations. I expect England to just about edge out the French.

"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers."
William Shakespeare

On the 10th March, England will be on the home straight. Home to Italy, mere cannon fodder against the mighty mighty England. 4 wins out of 4, Grand Slam in sight.

"Ever the faith endures, England, my England."
W.E. Henley

The crowning glory will be against England's little brother, Wales. No doubt they'll be up for this game, they love a game against their bigger brother and the chance to upset the odds. What is it Wales, 7 losses out of 7 since last year's Grand Slam? After a tough 20 minutes, England's superiority and class will show. Grand Slam clinched.

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.”
Winston Churchill

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 15 Empty England to grand slam glory

Post by overlordofthewest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

Can't find the original thread of England to Grand Slam Glory.

All of a sudden it looks a bit arrogant.
Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:38 pm

Here we go then:

England were rubbish. End of. First 20 or so minutes Wales blew England away, England were holding on and conceding a vast amount of penalties. England did have some half-chances though; Farrell's chip kick forward, Tuilagi dropping the ball with the field open in front of him. All butchered, all not taken, but with the score 9-3 Wales, and England showing glimpses of what they can do, I was still hopeful for the second half. I shouldn't have been.

I can't remember seeing a more abject second half from an England team since 2008, 21-0 says it all. Nothing in attack, absolutely nothing, rubbish intensity and pish-poor defence, which has to be sorted out. Wales were simply better, they took their chances, they battered England at the breakdown, and they destroyed the English scrum. Wales stepped it up and England couldn't handle it. 21-0.

I just wonder when Wales will make the final step, and regularly challenge the 'big 3' Southern Hemisphere teams. They are perfectly capable of it, after winning 2 Six Nations Titles in a row. The Millennium Stadium certainly isn't an easy place to go as well.

For England, this is another stage in their development to 2015. Possibly. At the very least, this battering should show Lancaster and the coaching staff the deficiencies in the England team, evident since that game home to France. Big areas of concern have to be the back 3, particularly Ashton, the No.6/7/8 issue, as well as the centre pairing. Question marks can also be raised over the scrum and lineout. Aside from that, England have to build on the positive areas - the unyielding Dan Cole, the second row, the immense Robshaw, and the great half-back pairing. All of these England possess, all should be the foundation that England can build future success on.

In summary then, and I hope it all makes sense, well done Wales, by far the better team, the champions of the Northern Hemisphere again. clap clap clap I hope all genuine Welsh fans enjoy their celebrations.

To my fellow English fans, the final quote:

"Don't be scared,
Your destiny may keep you warm.

'Cause all of the stars have faded away
Just try not to worry,
You'll see them some day
Take what you need
And be on your way
And stop crying your heart out."
Oasis

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Pal Joey Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

Commiserations Duty.

England were just outshone on the day. There is still great potential but as you say... a few things need to be sorted out before the next encounter.

At least you are doing well in the cricket, mate. OK Ale

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Commiserations Duty.

England were just outshone on the day. There is still great potential but as you say... a few things need to be sorted out before the next encounter.

Wales were pure class in every department.
Curse that blasted bloke from the forest of dean for scoring two tries! Wink

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:

Wales were pure class in every department.
Curse that blasted bloke from the forest of dean for scoring two tries! Wink

He's a proven finisher and knows his way around trees. The forest upbringing has held him in good stead. Smile

It is not the strongest of the species that survives… nor the most intelligent that survives.
It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

Commiserations Duty, England will learn and will come back stronger...

i totally agree with your sentiment regarding wales taking the next step, if we trully are to shake the 'little brother' tag in rugby terms we need to push on now and start beating the big 3 regularly

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

Usual story - when we can put out our first 15 we are a match for anyone - we were lucky in that we were able to do that. England still had the better bench, and I'm surprised it had little effect. Take a few key players out of the first welsh XV and we are still in trouble. Got to get some strength in depth if we are to take the next step.

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

not wishing to turn this thread off topic but i feel we are heading in the right direction in regards to depth, helped further by the lack of money in the regions and player drain to france meaning more welsh players are getting exposure to highest level rugby

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:14 pm

Now, now we have those threads here every year and Wales had one as well. Be nice most of the English lads have been gracious towards our success. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:23 pm

I am genuinely surprised by the result, I really thought England would win well, but we didn't. Wales thoroughly deserved their win, England were pants, no real go forward with any intent.

Well played Wales clap

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

Not sure how you missed it.

But they say none are as blind as those who don't want to see.

So I'll merge them for you. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

tatterd wrote:Usual story - when we can put out our first 15 we are a match for anyone - we were lucky in that we were able to do that. England still had the better bench, and I'm surprised it had little effect. Take a few key players out of the first welsh XV and we are still in trouble. Got to get some strength in depth if we are to take the next step.
Sorry,old son,you appear to have forgotten Dan Lydiate who was player of the tournament in the last 6 Nations. Shocked

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:33 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:37 am

Gracious bunch the English fans on 606 today, hats off to you, so arrogant and proud since the NZ win, but today humble!!!
Well well well i guess it's like that moment when the man you mocked corners you! it ain't really graciousness or humility,just sheer cowardice.

Well done Wales well frigging done.

But as in the words of Tom Wood after the NZ game, the result come as no surprise we knew we were better.

Nos Da.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

We can still win the 2015 world cup Billy Twelvetrees

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:07 pm

I emplore everyone on here to ignore the trout that is View!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm

Every other tourny/tour under sl we have got consitantly better as it has gone on.

This one we have got consitantly worse.

Not taking anything away from Wales performance. It was brutal. just like Irelands in 2011.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I emplore everyone on here to ignore the trout that is View!!!

Don't worry Bluesman, we know the difference between true Welsh fans on here and the muppets like morg/view, 1000 and rainbow-warrior. Your graciousness in victory is appreciated but it's still painful to think about. Where were England yesterday? Well played Wales OK

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:I emplore everyone on here to ignore the trout that is View!!!

Don't worry Bluesman, we know the difference between true Welsh fans on here and the muppets like morg/view, 1000 and rainbow-warrior. Your graciousness in victory is appreciated but it's still painful to think about. Where were England yesterday? Well played Wales OK

I don't think your giving England enough credit mate, very young and inexperienced side, with a few key injuries, 11 or so had never visited the MS before yesterday.

I think England are where Wales were 3 years ago, except theyre winning games regularly already!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:10 pm

A few english egos seemed to rub referee walsh the wrong way and he brought the southern perspective on maintaining upright posture at the breakdown which doesnt suit englands horizontal approach to the ruck. once the likes of coles were in mr walshes bad books they could do no right in the set piece either.

ashton needs a psychology report he has some issues and must be stood down until there resolved.

tuilagi was revealed as one dimensional and the pairing with barrett adds nothing. wales were up to tackle him and he needs to work on his distrubution blowing a clear try chance.

the occassion got to farrell just as the big occassion would get to his father. perhaps we need to discard this embarrassing nepotism and start to select our half backs on ability?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

I believe one of England biggest mistakes was sticking with the same team.
I know consistancy is best, but their comes a time when you have to give some one else a chance to show what they can do. ( Mike Brown on the wing) should SL have continued with this experiment or not? Obviously not if you go on yesterdays performance.

Bring in Johnny May, Christian Wade, Charlie Sharples, Tom Varndel even.

I know hind sight is a good thing but surely this was a no brainer?

You would of thought that SL would have learnt from Martin Johnson fine mess when he played Ugo Monye was it at full back?

So in future play a winger on the wing and a full back, at full back.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:38 pm

viewofthedim, all that time spent looking at himself and other men in gym is making him 'very hard'

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

I implore everyone to listen to me because i talk hard facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

I implore everyone to listen to me because i talk hard facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 17 Mar 2013, 5:50 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:

Speak for yourself pal. How much did you enjoy 'the slambusters' ruining your dream?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 7:01 pm

3 finals needs to drop his user name right now, perfect example of the English "fan" who could tell you a score line from a decade ago but don't ask him what happened during the game he won't have a clue.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

Wales win the 6 Nations, England fail to deliver and are found wanting...

"[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is."
Winston Churchill

Where is Duty... is he not man enough to comment on his own thread...

"We know that he has, more than any other man, the gift of compressing the largest number of words into the into the smallest amount of thought."
Winston Churchill

Yahoo

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

sirBiggles wrote:Wales win the 6 Nations, England fail to deliver and are found wanting...

"[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is."
Winston Churchill

"We know that he has, more than any other man, the gift of compressing the largest number of words into the into the smallest amount of thought."
Winston Churchill

Yahoo

"Never has so much been owed by so many to so few"

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

sirBiggles wrote:Wales win the 6 Nations, England fail to deliver and are found wanting...

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill

Yahoo

Top of the page.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:....
In summary then, and I hope it all makes sense, well done Wales, by far the better team, the champions of the Northern Hemisphere again. clap clap clap I hope all genuine Welsh fans enjoy their celebrations.

My sincere apologies Duty, I don't know how I missed this, I must still be hungover...

You have come back and genuinely congratulated the victor. I therefore apologise for saying the opposite.

You, sir, are at least a gentleman of honour. clap clap clap

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

sirBiggles wrote:
Duty281 wrote:....

My sincere apologies Duty, I don't know how I missed this, I must still be hungover...

You have come back and genuinely congratulated the victor. I therefore apologise for saying the opposite.

You, sir, are at least a gentleman of honour. clap clap clap

Quite alright. thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

ironic Duty, all your quotes were written in red, how appropriate

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by haircut Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

Duty, dont believe everything old winnie said!!!!!!! without victory.....etc

what about old vera " we'll meet again la la la ......" twice before the world cup Hug rose broken Wales warning

haircut

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 19 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

Commiserations laughing I hope he choked on his humble pie

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15