The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

+78
t1000advancedprototype
overlordofthewest
Josiah Maiestas
2ndtimeround
ScarletSpiderman
senghenydd1913
thomh
GloriousEmpire
TJ1
BlueNote
Glas a du
sickofwendy
bedfordwelsh
MacKnocked-on
wales606
whocares
blackcanelion
100%beefy
lostinwales
Ospreydragon
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
Thomond
TrailApe
Chjw131
Pal Joey
beshocked
nathan
Brian Moores Twin
Pot Hale
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
RuggerRadge2611
quangut
glamorganalun
nobbled
sirBiggles
HammerofThunor
Sugarlump
Scarpia
Jimpy
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Effervescing Elephant
tatterd
dragonbreath
Morgannwg
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gregortree
cabbagesandbrussels
mystiroakey
disneychilly
Cyril
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Standulstermen
thebluesmancometh
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
Hound_of_Harrow
emack2
englandglory4ever
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
AlastairW
Barney McGrew did it
offload
Taylorman
Geordie
RuggerBoy
mr_stonelea
GunsGerms
Duty281
82 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread Empty The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
Winston Churchill

In just over 4 weeks, Stuart Lancaster's England will start their quest for Grand Slam glory. It has to be said that this is England's best chance since 2003 for a Grand Slam. Really, for the Northern Hemisphere's biggest Rugby nation not to have clinched a Grand Slam for 10 years is a poor return. That will surely change on the 16th March.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.”
Winston Churchill

This amount of optimism stems from a hugely encouraging 2012 for the English rugby team. 4 wins out of 5 in last year's Six Nations with a fairly new team, then a character-building tour to South Africa, running South Africa and Australia close at the home of Rugby, before ending the year by beating the World Champions and running in 3 tries against them. 2013 will be the year that it all comes together for England.

"The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm."
Alexander Woollcott

2013 for England will start with a game home to Scotland. Unless there's a downpour, Scotland have little hope. Expect England to rack up 25+ points and a multitude of tries against inferior opposition.

"Let not England forget her precedence of teaching nations how to live."
John Milton

Then, away to Ireland. Often, the Irish are seen as a bogey team for England but let's be rational. England are better in every department as they proved in 2012. I'll be looking for a very very good result from England in this game.

"You must hate a Frenchman as you do the devil."
Lord Nelson

The third game will be the biggest of the lot. Home to the French at Twickenham. Beaten by England in Paris in 2012, France will be beaten by England in London in 2013. No mistake though, this game will be the toughest challenge that England will face in the 2013 Six Nations. I expect England to just about edge out the French.

"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers."
William Shakespeare

On the 10th March, England will be on the home straight. Home to Italy, mere cannon fodder against the mighty mighty England. 4 wins out of 4, Grand Slam in sight.

"Ever the faith endures, England, my England."
W.E. Henley

The crowning glory will be against England's little brother, Wales. No doubt they'll be up for this game, they love a game against their bigger brother and the chance to upset the odds. What is it Wales, 7 losses out of 7 since last year's Grand Slam? After a tough 20 minutes, England's superiority and class will show. Grand Slam clinched.

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.”
Winston Churchill

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

Ive no doubt this article is meant to be tongue in cheek but in all fairness France must surely be marginal favorites to win the grand slam despite England's heroics v NZ. France have the strongest squad and were just piped by NZ in the last RWC final.

Also England better than Ireland in all departments? I would say player wise the two teams are fairly well matched. Ireland possibly have the bestter first 15. England have the momentum though and are better organised right now though it will be in Dublin where England have not won in the 6 nations for a long time. I wouldnt be so confident.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Ive no doubt this article is meant to be tongue in cheek but in all fairness France must surely be marginal favorites to win the grand slam despite England's heroics v NZ. France have the strongest squad and were just piped by NZ in the last RWC final.

Also England better than Ireland in all departments? I would say player wise the two teams are fairly well matched. Ireland possibly have the bestter first 15. England have the momentum though and are better organised right now though it will be in Dublin where England have not won in the 6 nations for a long time. I wouldnt be so confident.

Not tongue in cheek, sir. I did one last year as well, and some in other sports.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:39 pm

I think England will need to say a few prayers if Ireland are firing on all cylindars in Dublin. Cant see it happening.

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity.
-George Bernard Shaw

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:42 pm

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

"The real weakness of England lies, not in incomplete armaments or unfortified coasts, not in the poverty that creeps through sunless lanes, or the drunkenness that brawls in loathsome courts, but simply in the fact that her ideals are emotional and not intellectual."
-Oscar wilde

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Well the thread title made me cringe a bit, but that was pleasant reading. My prediction is no slam for anyone this year. I don't think there's much between Eng/Fra/Ire and Wales and I also predict that Scotland will beat one of them.

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

As a Welshman Duty281, I feel obliged to butt in on your use of rhetoric devices as a way of laying claim to Grand Slam glory for your England. I have no problem with it per se, if it makes you feel better and bolsters your meagre confidence by referring to my homeland as 'England's little brother', then carry on.

However, please be accurate in claiming such stirring quotations as your own. I refer specifically to the "band of brothers" quote, although there are others I also attest to be more fitting to the Union that England alone. Anyway, I digress.

Shakespeare may have written it but the quote is attributed to Henry V. As Henry was a Gwent boy born in Monmouth Castle, combined with the fact that the 'few' he was addressing before the battle of Agincourt consisted mainly of Welsh archers - (normally recognised as being 3300 out of a total of 3500) - I think it is fair to say that we, the Welsh, have more right to it than you. So I'm claiming it.

So come the middle of March, buoyed by our renowned passion for being the underdogs, we few will again draw on that rallying cry and stuff the English - just like we stuffed the French at Agincourt!

(...and just in case you didn't realise it, this IS tongue-in-cheek) Wink

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucious
If we lose....we must learn from it...

But i prefer

Man who walk through airport turnstyle sideways going to bangkok...

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:48 pm

"Life is like a box of chocolates...You just never know what you're gonna get"
Forrest Gump.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Taylorman wrote:"Life is like a box of chocolates...You just never know what you're gonna get"
Forrest Gump.

Probably the most apt quote for this years tournament. Too many good teams to predict a winner.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:57 pm

I guess is was only a matter of time before we saw such a pompous and crass OP. Real England rugby fans must be cringing.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:"Life is like a box of chocolates...You just never know what you're gonna get"
Forrest Gump.
At least you can virtually guarantee England will pick the "soft centres"! Whistle

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:03 pm

offload wrote:I guess is was only a matter of time before we saw such a pompous and crass OP. Real England rugby fans must be cringing.

That's the spirit dear boy.

"Only the Englishman is the pinnacle of perfection and nature’s masterpiece."
Riem

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

Duty281 wrote:
offload wrote:I guess is was only a matter of time before we saw such a pompous and crass OP. Real England rugby fans must be cringing.

Riem

I wouldnt be two proud of that quote especially given the amount of expats in the England squad. Sounds like something Hitler would say.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Riem

I wouldnt be two proud of that quote especially given the amount of expats in the England squad. Sounds like something Hitler would say.

Why would Hitler say being English is perfect? That's probably the last thing he would say.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

“Feelin’ stupid? I know I am”
Homer Simpson
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

This thread is going from strength to strength - Churchill to Forrest Gump, and now Hitler to Homer Simpson!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

No he would say Only the German is the pinnacle of perfection and nature’s masterpiece. Which given that the English are essentially Germanic in ancestry its more or less the same thing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

“We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.”
William Golding, Lord of the Flies

...and we all know what happens in the Lord of the Flies, don't we children.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

Yeah piggy gets beaten up. Probably deserved it too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

Piggy dies I'm afraid ....

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

Eek! This thread smack of counting your chickens. Think I'll go down the quiet optimism route myself. Seeing as this England set up was nigh on scratch formed barely a year ago I think pinning hopes on a GS just out the gate is a little too much.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Riem

Says the supporter of the nation who literally took a Saffa off the plane .... and you Godwin'd the thread to boot. All in 2 sentences, that must some sort of record.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

AlastairW wrote:Eek! This thread smack of counting your chickens. Think I'll go down the quiet optimism route myself. Seeing as this England set up was nigh on scratch formed barely a year ago I think pinning hopes on a GS just out the gate is a little too much.

Oh AlastairW, don't go bringing logic and common sense into this thread, I'm enjoying the English hyperbole!

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. ~Les Brown

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 04 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

Dont worry Ruggerboy Im sure we can find some links to the Welsh pre Aus tour discussion topics....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

PSW, touché.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

RuggerBoy wrote:
AlastairW wrote:Eek! This thread smack of counting your chickens. Think I'll go down the quiet optimism route myself. Seeing as this England set up was nigh on scratch formed barely a year ago I think pinning hopes on a GS just out the gate is a little too much.

Oh AlastairW, don't go bringing logic and common sense into this thread, I'm enjoying the English hyperbole!

It doesn't happen very often, I'm sure I'll revert to petty minded jingoism by tomorrow Wink

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 8:00 pm

RuggerBoy wrote:As a Welshman Duty281, I feel obliged to butt in on your use of rhetoric devices as a way of laying claim to Grand Slam glory for your England. I have no problem with it per se, if it makes you feel better and bolsters your meagre confidence by referring to my homeland as 'England's little brother', then carry on.

However, please be accurate in claiming such stirring quotations as your own. I refer specifically to the "band of brothers" quote, although there are others I also attest to be more fitting to the Union that England alone. Anyway, I digress.

Shakespeare may have written it but the quote is attributed to Henry V. As Henry was a Gwent boy born in Monmouth Castle, combined with the fact that the 'few' he was addressing before the battle of Agincourt consisted mainly of Welsh archers - (normally recognised as being 3300 out of a total of 3500) - I think it is fair to say that we, the Welsh, have more right to it than you. So I'm claiming it.

So come the middle of March, buoyed by our renowned passion for being the underdogs, we few will again draw on that rallying cry and stuff the English - just like we stuffed the French at Agincourt!

(...and just in case you didn't realise it, this IS tongue-in-cheek) Wink

I see the Welsh are responsible for Agincourt but the French blame the English, typical

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

I feel i should stay away from this thread, i think it would get me banned.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:16 pm

No you've got that wrong G2, at the time of Agincourt the French WERE the English! Hug

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

"Shakespeare may have written it but the quote is attributed to Henry V. As Henry was a Gwent boy born in Monmouth Castle, combined with the fact that the 'few' he was addressing before the battle of Agincourt consisted mainly of Welsh archers - (normally recognised as being 3300 out of a total of 3500) - I think it is fair to say that we, the Welsh, have more right to it than you. So I'm claiming it."

Tell that to Rainbow warrior. He's convinced only the English do that sort of thing.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm

On the strength of the AI`s France would be favourites and are showing some consistency.Ireland and Wales are never easy when there at home. England could well win the 6Ns but I it will be a Grand Slam.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:12 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucious
If we lose....we must learn from it...

But i prefer

Man who walk through airport turnstyle sideways going to bangkok...

Laugh

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:29 am

'I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.'

'When I said death before dishonour I meant alphabetically'

'He who laughs last probably didn't get the joke'

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

I have to say this is the most pretentious pile of crap I have read on 606v2 for a long time.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:14 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:I have to say this is the most pretentious pile of crap I have read on 606v2 for a long time.

Dpes anything else come out of this small country in europe???
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:33 am

englandglory4ever wrote:"Shakespeare may have written it but the quote is attributed to Henry V. As Henry was a Gwent boy born in Monmouth Castle, combined with the fact that the 'few' he was addressing before the battle of Agincourt consisted mainly of Welsh archers - (normally recognised as being 3300 out of a total of 3500) - I think it is fair to say that we, the Welsh, have more right to it than you. So I'm claiming it."

Tell that to Rainbow warrior. He's convinced only the English do that sort of thing.
It is this petty type comments that ruin threads and invite controversial off topic ramblings.

You would be better advised to desist these types of comments as they are not constructive in any way.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

Biltong, as it was me that wrote the original bit about Agincourt, I hope you're not having a go at me. I did end my original post by saying it was, most definitely, tongue-in-cheek. I hope you know enough about me from my previous postings to know I am genuinely not interested in petty rivalries. It's just that I thought this thread was a bit of fun.

I shall now bow out of it.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:13 am

raspberry

END

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmmzI36TJA

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

Biltong. Take a chill pill for goodness sake. Your over sensitivity is not attractive.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm

Have we got the T-Shirts made yet? Or will the RFU just be scribbling out the date on the old ones.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

AlastairW wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Riem

Says the supporter of the nation who literally took a Saffa off the plane .... and you Godwin'd the thread to boot. All in 2 sentences, that must some sort of record.

Im not claiming Irish to be the master race.

Anyone know what Godwin'd means?

I think you mean we took a kiwi off the plane. You mean Bent yes?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

yappysnap wrote:Have we got the T-Shirts made yet? Or will the RFU just be scribbling out the date on the old ones.
Mine came in the post the other day.
Also came with a bonus 'England Wins 2015 RWC' shirt. That one has a pic of Jonny kicking the winning drop goal............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:13 pm

RuggerBoy wrote:Piggy dies I'm afraid ....

Yeah I know I blame Ralph.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Have we got the T-Shirts made yet? Or will the RFU just be scribbling out the date on the old ones.
Mine came in the post the other day.
Also came with a bonus 'England Wins 2015 RWC' shirt. That one has a pic of Jonny kicking the winning drop goal............

Laugh

They'll go nicely with my 'Lions Series Winners 2013' shirt and 'England 7's Olympic Gold' vest.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

You got those, too? Fantastic.
Hoping my 'England, Rugby Team of the Millennium' sweater comes soon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 05 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Anyone know what Godwin'd means?
Godwin's Law
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next