The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

+18
milkyboy
manos de piedra
davidemore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
OasisBFC
Union Cane
Diggers
AlexHuckerby
Herman Jaeger
Steffan
eddyfightfan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
JabMachineMK2
seanmichaels
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
Lumbering_Jack
Seanusarrilius
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? - Page 2 Empty Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Floyd is 35 and almost done, and a 147 pounder. Broner is a young up and comer and currenlty campaigning at 135. They aren't from the same era, so why do people think they should be fighting?

Leave it alone.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

I think with supplements / PED's weight means even less these days. The weight a fighter chooses is largely dependant on his chin / power.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

If they were to fight Rowley then would weight evn be a factor. Floyd has never been one to impose himself physically and Broner isn't exactly a Hatton type fighter.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

Not to diminish his achievements but Duran didn't go from lightweight title fight to welterweight title fight, he had 8 fights at or around welter in 2 years before taking on Leonard. Had he gone from De Jesus straight to Leonard it would be comparable to what we aren't expecting Broner to do.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Very true Union, if you want to give the counter argument guess you could say Leonard had not started at super feather and was not 36 at the time so there were other things counting against Duran that Broner will not have to contend with were it to happen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

Another difference is that Leonard was about 25 when he fought Duran, Mayweather would be 36 by the time he got in the ring with Broner.
Thats what would make the fight intersting, at what point does age catch up with Mayweather because if he keeps fighting then one day it will thats for sure.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Also very true, it is all speculature and conjeculation at the end of the day.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:34 pm

Broner is too small anyway. I'd rather see him have 15 fights where he is massive favourite before he challenges himself.

As a boxing fan I don't like to see fights that could be considered competitive.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

Would you also like to see Degale vs Huck, Cleverly vs Povetkin, that kind of thing?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:But hey, let's look at reasons for fighters to avoid each other... Alvarez is too big for Floyd, Bradley is not well known enough and Manny has been beaten a number of times.

Nobody's looking for reasons for fighters to avoid each other. To be honest, I'm amazed that two fighters who are campaigning two / three weight classes apart could somehow be seen to be "avoiding" each other in any case. Nobody (at least nobody reasonable) has implicitly stated any of those ideas in the last sentence, either.

Broner might not be as effective with the added weight, as there's an optimum weight for everyone, or a limit when peak performance becomes impossible. Then again, he may well be able to fight effectively weighing something like 155 lb as opposed to 145. It's open to speculation, so I don't see why it's being viewed with such disdain.

Wilfredo Gomez looked decidedly less lethal when he added weight from his 'natural' 122 lb. De la Hoya looked a million dollars at 154 lb in thrashing Vargas and Mayorga, but between those fights had looked flabby, slow and lumbering at 160 lb against Sturm, who, as shown by Castellijo, Macklin and Geale, is no world beater. Marquez jumped from Lightweight to Welter to have a crack at Floyd and, first time out at least, struggled with the additional timber.

You're talking as if additional weight proving too much is a myth or something. Some fighters can make light of it, sure. Broner may prove to be one of them. But on the flip side, there are simply too many examples of the contrary for you to dismiss it in the manner you have.

I'm not saying that Broner has "no business" fighting Floyd. I'm simply highlighting that, from a personal point of view, I don't really see any need for it to happen as there are a number of fights available to both men in which the above (potential) problems wouldn't be an issue at all. If Broner went after Mayweather (which he won't, as I said earlier, due to their "friendship" which is a far more flimsy excuse than weight, incidentally) then I'd applaud his ambition, but I'd also ask why, if you see what I mean. Alvarez is a very big Light-Middle, Froch a small Super-Middle, but I don't see anyone clamouring for that fight.

Right now, surely Broner-Burns, Broner-Rios, Broner-Matthysse or Broner-Gamboa (or, alternatively, Mayweather-Bradley, Mayweather-Alvarez etc) all make more sense than Broner-Mayweather?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Union Cane wrote:Would you also like to see Degale vs Huck, Cleverly vs Povetkin, that kind of thing?

I'd like to see Cleverly Povetkin. Not that keen on the Welsh in general and he has appauling facial hair.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

If Alverez beat Froch it doesnt turn him into a legend, it would just be a great win. The man who beats Mayweather (if he loses before he retires) will always have ap lace in hisory for being the first and possibly only guy to beat an all time great.
Thats why you look at guys around Mayweathers weight and ponder who could beat them. Which is all thats happening here.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

The weight issue is very difficult to ascertain because each fighter is a different case by case basis. However having numerous weight classes lower down coupled with 24 period rehydration period means that in some cases fighters who basically weigh the same on fight night can operate one or even several weight classes apart. I don’t know for sure, but if the key differnace between Mayweathers and Broners size is basically Floyd doesn’t really dehydrate his body prior to weigh in but Broner does so significantly then size shouldn’t really be a massive deal. The only real difference is Broner makes a weight class for about 10 minutes before rehydrating himself to Mayweathers weight. If its only water weight that’s being lost and gained then weight isn’t really much difference. If its lean muscle that’s making the difference then that might be different. But Broner would most likely be much closer to Floyds “natural” weight without having the luxury of prior day weigh ins because from what Ive read he weighs massively different between weigh in and fight night.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

Union Cane wrote:Would you also like to see Degale vs Huck, Cleverly vs Povetkin, that kind of thing?

No. But Ward is so far ahead of those in his weight class that he hooks be challenging higher weights.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

Diggers wrote:If Alverez beat Froch it doesnt turn him into a legend, it would just be a great win. The man who beats Mayweather (if he loses before he retires) will always have ap lace in hisory for being the first and possibly only guy to beat an all time great.
Thats why you look at guys around Mayweathers weight and ponder who could beat them. Which is all thats happening here.

Indeed, it also makes it a low risk fight for broner. Your stock doesn't go down for losing to mayweather, it may even rise in defeat, if the performance is good... And you always have the weight issue as an excuse. Promoter's always want to protect an '0', but Truth is, this fight were it to happen would make a bit of sense for broner. Timing is everything in boxing, and floyd didn't look prime against cotto.

Friends or not, its Highly unlikely to happen, but my take, is I'd be interested in seeing it, as you just think that broner might be the real deal...enough for a glimmer of maybe.

Chris has highlighted the fights that make more sense, and in practical terms they do, but of the more likely opponents being bandied around, id have some interest in Alvarez but zero interest in Guerrero, bradley or Marquez. They're all very good fighters, but bring nothing to trouble mayweather if he's still close to his best. If he doesnt win any of those at a canter you know He's on the slide.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:07 pm

Rowley wrote:
However skipping from light to welter is tough, skipping from light to welter to take on someone of Floyd’s talent is really tough,

it pretty much sums everything up.
jumping up 2 weights to fight the best in the world is a tad on the ambitious side.

marquez couldnt do it - and i'd argue marquez is a better fighter then broner.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

its 2 (modern) fighting weights, but its little in terms of ring entry weights. They're not dissimilar reach/height/frame.

We don't know for sure whether broner would carry the weight, but its highly likely he'll end up there at some point. I'd question whether marquez is a good example. i don't think the weight mattered a jot, although marquez did look flabby at it against floyd, what mattered was that marquez is basically very good, but ultimately a poor man's floyd.

Anyway, i'm arguing about a fight that's highly unlikely to happen, and i'm arguing broner's case despite knowing he's got a lot to prove. The thing for me, is when you know how good mayweather is, you look for people out there who might trouble him. Most of the likely candidates won't, broner probably wouldn't either... but i'd watch it... just in case.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

Does weight hopping actually mean anything at all? Pacquaio and mayweather and ODLH - if they came in weighing 10-15 pounds over the limit and the little guys who are genuinely at that weight (and remain there) surely any great wins over those fighters shouldn't count towards your legacy?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 04 Jan 2013, 6:02 pm

Mayweather only ever rehydrated more than a couple of pounds once during his whole career against Chavez in his last fight at super featherweight. He's very very rarely been the bigger man in his fights, in title fights I think it's only been Marquez.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

milkyboy wrote: marquez is basically very good, but ultimately a poor man's floyd.

if anyone is a poor man's mayweather...

still, all arguments aside id love to see the fight happen. it'd be good to see floyd in with a fresh, young, strong talent. although the last time he did that was with ortiz...

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 06 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

Marquez is a great fighter and there's no shame in being a poor mans Mayweather he is one of the sports greatest ever talents.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

For the record, I agree entirely with the above, my point is, if you're fighting a guy who does everything you do, just a little bit better, (barring a mistake) you lose. I've no interest in mayweather Marquez 2. In fact I had no real interest in the first fight, and (for once) it panned out as I predicted.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm

Agreed there, it's a great win for Mayweather but was thoroughly expected.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:26 pm

Can someone explain why everyone thinks Marquez is a similar fighter to Mayweather?

It's a given that they're both multiple world champions in multiple weights who can throw a good counter, but other than that the similarities end.

Many boxers share speed, reflexes, power and timing, and also have the ability to throw a decent counter but are stylistically poles apart. Naz, for instance, has all of the aforementioned attributes, as too does Tyson, however they are stylistically very different.

I'm not saying Floyd and JMM are as different as those two, for starters, they are of comparative weight, but they are not as similar as people make out. All boxers can throw counters and feints (with varied success) it doesn't make them similar, does it?

If anyone's a poor version of Mayweather (at least for now) it's Broner, not JMM
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:Can someone explain why everyone thinks Marquez is a similar fighter to Mayweather?

It's a given that they're both multiple world champions in multiple weights who can throw a good counter, but other than that the similarities end.

Many boxers share speed, reflexes, power and timing, and also have the ability to throw a decent counter but are stylistically poles apart. Naz, for instance, has all of the aforementioned attributes, as too does Tyson, however they are stylistically very different.

I'm not saying Floyd and JMM are as different as those two, for starters, they are of comparative weight, but they are not as similar as people make out. All boxers can throw counters and feints (with varied success) it doesn't make them similar, does it?

If anyone's a poor version of Mayweather (at least for now) it's Broner, not JMM

Yeah I would agree with you there. Both guys are good counter punchers in a general sense but there are enough differences that I would not really consider them hugely similar. I would consider Marquez much less defensively orientated and a more aggressive counter puncher than Mayweather.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:34 am

Too true Manos
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

ok, it was me that brought it up. A case of trying to get your point across without writing an essay.

Marquez is not stylistically similar to mayweather. But i would argue his attributes are similar. He may be less defensively orientated than mayweather... (although floyd seems to have progressed through a process of getting more defensive as he aged, and then recently slightly less defensive).

I'd say that marquez prefers to counter, but will try to make the fight if his opponent doesn't... and he's far less effective doing so.

Both fighters, are intelligent (in the ring) and adaptable. Neither (though manny may think differently) are reknowned punchers.

My original point, was that marquez could never trouble mayweather, because his strengths are similar, just not as good... basically he ships more leather and he's not as quick. In that respect he is a poor man's mayweather, but i recognise the implication is that he's a mini-me which he clearly isnt. And the same could be said about many fighters. Context is everything.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

Perhaps not being as conditioned as normal and Floyd not abiding by the original catchweight all affected JMM for that fight but ultimately I think Mayweather was too quick and made Marquez chase the fight without giving him anything to catch. I must admit that JMM newly ripped look now at 147 combined with what appears to be a hike in power, and Mayweathers not totally convincing (by Mayweather standard) performance against Cotto does make me curious as to how a rematch might go but ultimately I think Mayweather is just too tricky and fast for Marquez.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm

i see where you're coming from manos, there are signs of chinks in mayweather and, without getting into debates on the reasoning behind it, marquez did look ripped.

That adds a question mark, but my view is, that a marquez win, would mean pbf has fallen off a cliff, so i still don't care about it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:31 pm

milkyboy wrote:i see where you're coming from manos, there are signs of chinks in mayweather and, without getting into debates on the reasoning behind it, marquez did look ripped.

That adds a question mark, but my view is, that a marquez win, would mean pbf has fallen off a cliff, so i still don't care about it.

I suppose so, although I think that may be the prevailing belief should any other contender out there beat Mayweather.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 07 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

My post wasn't direct at any individual, it's just I've heard lots of people make remarks about how JMM is similar to Mayweather, without actually quantifying the statement. Cheers for the reply Milky.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 07 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm

mackem, i've made the 'poor man's comment' a few times and wondered when someone would pick me up on it Very Happy ... not a great description to convey what i meant so happy to at least try to quantify it.

manos, that's often the case isnt it? careers can be made on catching someone at the right time, and when someone is coming to the end of their career, its often tricky to tell whether the 'man who beat the man' did so because he was better or because the timing was right.

Tszyu v hatton is a good one. To my mind that was a very good fighter beating a better one, down to timing. Others will tell you that Tszyu didnt look past his best when he beat mitchell 6 months earlier.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:mackem, i've made the 'poor man's comment' a few times and wondered when someone would pick me up on it Very Happy ... not a great description to convey what i meant so happy to at least try to quantify it.

manos, that's often the case isnt it? careers can be made on catching someone at the right time, and when someone is coming to the end of their career, its often tricky to tell whether the 'man who beat the man' did so because he was better or because the timing was right.

Tszyu v hatton is a good one. To my mind that was a very good fighter beating a better one, down to timing. Others will tell you that Tszyu didnt look past his best when he beat mitchell 6 months earlier.

It can be difficult alright, especially if the fighter in question retires immediately after without offering any further evidence of whether he was actually on the slide or had just met his match (or a bit of both). Some wins can look much better or worse depending on what the fighter goes on to do. If Mayweather were to lose to Marquez but then say go on to beat Alvarez convincingly it would make the win look very legit indeed. But were he to lose to Marquez and then go on to lose to someone like Mathysse for arguments sake then it would like he had simply become past it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2