The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

+18
milkyboy
manos de piedra
davidemore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
OasisBFC
Union Cane
Diggers
AlexHuckerby
Herman Jaeger
Steffan
eddyfightfan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
JabMachineMK2
seanmichaels
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
Lumbering_Jack
Seanusarrilius
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? Empty Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

Floyd is 35 and almost done, and a 147 pounder. Broner is a young up and comer and currenlty campaigning at 135. They aren't from the same era, so why do people think they should be fighting?

Leave it alone.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? Empty Re: Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

Would be a great fight, so disagree with you there. Floyd is naturally a small welter so Broner would match up physically. He'd still lose though but it would be an intriguing watch.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner? Empty Re: Why are people trying to match Floyd and Broner?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

You think Broner can just jump 12 pounds of the back of a win over DeMarco and fight the p4p #1? Broner isn't ready, and by the time he is, Floyd will be retired

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

To be honest, Sean, I haven't really seen that many people mooting this match up.

Anyway, it's a no-go for one clear reason, which was, strangely enough, was featured in the most recent edition of 'Boxing News'. There's an article in there in which Broner says that he and Floyd will never fight, because they're such close friends. "We're brothers, on the same team - and brothers don't fight" says Broner, or something along those lines.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

88Chris05 wrote:To be honest, Sean, I haven't really seen that many people mooting this match up.

Anyway, it's a no-go for one clear reason, which was, strangely enough, was featured in the most recent edition of 'Boxing News'. There's an article in there in which Broner says that he and Floyd will never fight, because they're such close friends. "We're brothers, on the same team - and brothers don't fight" says Broner, or something along those lines.

Yeah, just a couple of YouTube peeps I follow have been asking for it, and I find it a bit annoying. Perhaps I have the new years blues, ha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

Never heard of the match-up TBH but would disagree with the fight.

Broner has only just moved up to a division 2 weights lower than where Floyd operates and 3 lower than where he last fought.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

A lot of people on here had Broner in their p4p Top 10. Seems reasonable to think that if he's in the top 10, he's ready for Mayweather. If he's not ready he shouldn't be there.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Ah, I see. Mildly interesting pipe dream I suppose, as Broner will surely have to dip his toes in to the Welterweight division before he retires (he was THE biggest Super-Feather I've ever seen and still looks like a giant amongst mere men at Lightweight).

But while he's still at 135 / 140 lb, there are already some excellent fights for him - it's not as if he's short of options. The Burns unification (which he said he'd like to happen in 2013, make of that what you will), the (admittedly slight) possibility of Gamboa going north of Super-Feather himself, Khan if he still sees his future at Light-Welter, and then of course there's the young crop of Rios, Garcia etc who are all making good names for themselves.

Not a fight which makes much sense right now, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:06 pm

How much difference does 7 pound make anyway. Broner could comfortably weigh 140, Floyd 147 and there wouldn't be much of a size difference anyway.

People look too much into weight these days...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

seanmichaels wrote:A lot of people on here had Broner in their p4p Top 10. Seems reasonable to think that if he's in the top 10, he's ready for Mayweather. If he's not ready he shouldn't be there.

Exactly the point I tried to make but was soundly ganged up upon.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

Broner walks around 150 as does Mayweather so size isn't a problem really. Broner rehydrates to 140+ regularly whereas Mayweather barely enters the ring much above 150

It just doesn't make sense atm and will be harsh on those who are fighting at 147 trying to get the PBF fight yet Broner can just go straight from 135 without really earning it. The SFW division was bare of real talent and while Demarco was a great win, going from Demarco (or Rees) to Mayweather is bit much

I guess it will help Broner become a p4p star should he win and the passing of the torch, like what happened when Mayweather beat the previous Goldenboy in De La Hoya, but Broner is only 23 and doesn't need to be making the big bucks yet but building for his future so he has a huge fanbase by the time he gets onto PPV

Gamboa and Burns (and Vasquez) are big fights for him at 135lbs and the lightwelter and welterweight divisions are stacked with loads of fighters who are under 30 so no rush. Peterson, Rios, Matthysse, Garcia, Lopez, Bradley, Khan, Maidana, Ortiz, Guerrero, Berto, Brook, Alexander etc are all going to be there in 4/5 years time

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 02 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:How much difference does 7 pound make anyway. Broner could comfortably weigh 140, Floyd 147 and there wouldn't be much of a size difference anyway.

massively agree here, heavyweights are often 1,2 and even 3 stone lighter than there opponent, so 1/2 stone won't make any differences, especially when most fighters put at least 7lbs on by fight night.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:55 am

eddyfightfan wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:How much difference does 7 pound make anyway. Broner could comfortably weigh 140, Floyd 147 and there wouldn't be much of a size difference anyway.

massively agree here, heavyweights are often 1,2 and even 3 stone lighter than there opponent, so 1/2 stone won't make any differences, especially when most fighters put at least 7lbs on by fight night.

Totally different circs. Especially when you take into account the percentage of their total weight. It wouldn't make that much difference if I am 500 pounds and you 550, but it matters at lower weights. History has taught us this. Remember, boxing at the highest level is an extremely nuanced profession, where minute differences in skill, tactic or even weight can impact a fight a great deal.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:51 am

All this talk of fighting Floyd will be just seem like nonsense once Broner gets knocked out by Gavin Rees

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 03 Jan 2013, 7:22 am

That would be priceless. I'm sure Rees will give a good account of himself as always.

Broner/Mayweather is a good fight down the line, but Broner would have to go through a few people to get to the Money man.

A fight I'd particularly like to see is Broner/Rios. Perfect matchup. Matador and the bull. He looks the complete package Broner, but Rios is quite some bull.

Mikey Garcia said that sparring Rios is ok for for the first few rounds, but after that it gets difficult, because Rios is so relentless. And of course, Rios tests chins, and we don't know as of yet, if Broner is hiding anything.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

Totally different circs. Especially when you take into account the percentage of their total weight. It wouldn't make that much difference if I am 500 pounds and you 550, but it matters at lower weights. History has taught us this. Remember, boxing at the highest level is an extremely nuanced profession, where minute differences in skill, tactic or even weight can impact a fight a great deal.

They would weigh the same amount come fight night so any difference would be negligible. I guess in that basis you are an advocate for the numerous weight classes these days. Sad, but it seems people look for reasons a fight shouldn't take place, rather than the other way round, these days.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:27 am

And the differences at HW are also pretty big at times. You don't see Haye getting an easy time for losing to Wlad because he was too small. Double standards.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:50 am

To be totally honest, the fight shouldn't happen not due to weights, but for Broner not having the sufficient preparation at this stage. My personal feelings on Broner is that he is around the same level that Mayweather was when he was 23, and I think we can all agree that Floyd has become a slightly better fighter since then. Broner hasn't been asked enough questions as of yet, not been in with enough guys at the top with enough different styles to seriously ask the questions needed to fully understand and comprehend facing a man like Floyd right now.

Broner simply cannot go from facing Escobedo, DeMarco, Mayweather, it only adds the fact that he would have to hop to 2 weight classes having previously only ever fought at 135 once itself.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:10 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be totally honest, the fight shouldn't happen not due to weights, but for Broner not having the sufficient preparation at this stage. My personal feelings on Broner is that he is around the same level that Mayweather was when he was 23, and I think we can all agree that Floyd has become a slightly better fighter since then. Broner hasn't been asked enough questions as of yet, not been in with enough guys at the top with enough different styles to seriously ask the questions needed to fully understand and comprehend facing a man like Floyd right now.

Broner simply cannot go from facing Escobedo, DeMarco, Mayweather, it only adds the fact that he would have to hop to 2 weight classes having previously only ever fought at 135 once itself.

The flip side to this being of course that Mayweather is 36 next month and is an instinctive reflex fighter who is all about speed. Unless he has discovered the elixir of youth Father Time will catch up with him just like it does everyone else and perhaps a good up and coming fighter will make the most of the opportunity especially as Floyd is so inactive for long periods.
The advantages of a young fighter on the way up and an established great in the twilight of his career do not all lie with the older fighter, far from it. That doesnt mean Broner would beat him of course but you'd like to think he'd at least fancy his chances, Im sure Mayweather at the same age would have.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:13 am

So for a fighter to challenge the best he should have a number of years at the top. Can't say I agree one bit. If a fighter looks like he is a special talent then give him a go.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:36 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:So for a fighter to challenge the best he should have a number of years at the top. Can't say I agree one bit. If a fighter looks like he is a special talent then give him a go.

Precisely. Without taking risks you don't get shocks. Honeyghan stepped up to fight the widely acknowledged p4p #1 and he wasn't even a (world) Beltholder like Broner.

Mayweather is 5'8 with 72 reach.
Broner is 5'7 with 71 reach.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

Agree Sean. It's something which annoys the Poopie out of me. You don't see the 100th seed at Wimbledon not taking on Federer because he isn't ready, he relishes the challenge. Make sure your corner are switched on an pull you out if you're getting a beating, and if not enjoy the experience of trying to beat the best.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:So for a fighter to challenge the best he should have a number of years at the top. Can't say I agree one bit. If a fighter looks like he is a special talent then give him a go.

Not quite what I'm saying, what I'm saying is the bridge is simply to big to gap. He, for my liking to have a genuine chance at Floyd would need perhaps 2-3 more real top level fights to be somewhat prepared for MAyweather in my view.

There's a big difference in class, it's an even bigger bridge at not fighting any proper contenders then fighting a genuine world champion, going from fighting one genuine world class opponent to fighting Floyd Mayweather. The difference in level is massive, therefore he needs more experience in my view,

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:14 am

seanmichaels wrote:Mayweather is 5'8 with 72 reach.

Amir Khan - 5'10 with 71" reach

Mike Tyson - 5'10 with 71" reach

Erm
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:15 am

Audley Harrison 6"5 with 84" reach CONQUEROR OF THE WORLD

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

Union Cane wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Mayweather is 5'8 with 72 reach.

Amir Khan - 5'10 with 71" reach

Mike Tyson - 5'10 with 71" reach

Erm

If Mike could get himself to 147lb then fair play to him.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Not quite what I'm saying, what I'm saying is the bridge is simply to big to gap. He, for my liking to have a genuine chance at Floyd would need perhaps 2-3 more real top level fights to be somewhat prepared for MAyweather in my view.

There's a big difference in class, it's an even bigger bridge at not fighting any proper contenders then fighting a genuine world champion, going from fighting one genuine world class opponent to fighting Floyd Mayweather. The difference in level is massive, therefore he needs more experience in my view,

Can you list the fighters who, by your criteria, qualify to fight Floyd at 147 then?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:27 am

I tend to agree with Lumbering and Sean in the little side debate which has sprung up; if Broner had achieved the same career that he's thus far had at 130 / 135 lb up at the higher 140 / 147 lb, then there'd really be no need for the fight not to happen on the flimsy grounds that he's "not ready." If he's not ready for mega fights, then what is he doing residing in many people's top ten pound for pound list?

No, my only reason for not really being interested in the fight is the weight. Yes, Broner is a big Lightweight. But he's still a Lightweight right now, at the end of the day. Just because we're all expecting him to develop in to a Welter one day doesn't automatically mean that he definitely will, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that he'd be able to make that transition right now. From the outset, Hatton was "as big" as Floyd, and also outweighed him come fight night - but that doesn't mean that Hatton was a natural Welter, and nobody can deny that moving up that extra weight took a little something away from his arsenal (not that he'd have beaten Floyd at the lower weight, mind you, but you get my drift).

Broner's a Lightweight, albeit a big one. For all we know, adding some extra weight (if he's scaling roughly 148 lb come fight night right now then he may well end up being 160 lb or more if it's a permanent move up to Welter, so there will be extra weight, make no mistake) could well take something from him, too.

Not a logical fight, right now. Don't know why people are championing it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:29 am

I wonder if Ali's legacy would have been the same if he hadnt took on Liston as a 20 fight novice and rank outsider. Such fights are how legends are made, its difficult to get overly excited about the legacy of a sportsman when you only expect him to step into a ring when he is a decent favourite.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:33 am

Diggers wrote:I wonder if Ali's legacy would have been the same if he hadnt took on Liston as a 20 fight novice and rank outsider. Such fights are how legends are made, its difficult to get overly excited about the legacy of a sportsman when you only expect him to step into a ring when he is a decent favourite.

Ali was in the same weight division as Liston though, so the analogy is irrelevant here.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

remember manny moved from welter after only one fight at lightweight.

yes it was oscar but he then went down and crushed the number 1 LWW, then demolished cotto at welter.

im not saying it should happen, he doesnt deserve the shot, but it COULD happen.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

seanmichaels wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Can you list the fighters who, by your criteria, qualify to fight Floyd at 147 then?

Guerrero, Manny and Marquez probably now.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

Union Cane wrote:
Diggers wrote:I wonder if Ali's legacy would have been the same if he hadnt took on Liston as a 20 fight novice and rank outsider. Such fights are how legends are made, its difficult to get overly excited about the legacy of a sportsman when you only expect him to step into a ring when he is a decent favourite.

Ali was in the same weight division as Liston though, so the analogy is irrelevant here.

Not at all, its only irrelevant if you are one of those choosing to believe that the weight difference is particularly relevant, several people on here dont see if that way so whilst it might be irrelevant to you it doesnt make it irrelevant to everyone.
I suspect if Broner were to be matched with Manny people wouldnt be talking about the weight anything like as much. Its just one part of the match up, as I said earlier Broner has advantages on his side as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

Sean you must be watching that eejit Dwyer I assume.

He is daft, stating that Froch hit Bute with a lucky punch to take his legs away, then recently said in his post fight Manny v Marquez vid that there was no such thing as a lucky punch.

He is the only person I have heard talk about this fight that will NEVEr happen. Broner is only knocking about with Floyd because he is trying to build a fanbase which only currently exists in HIS OWN HEAD!

Broner hasn't even got 65k followers on Twitter, for someone who thinks he is the next best thing in boxing, thats ridiculous.......Fury and Price have more and they are haven't even had a sniff of a world title.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

Fight will never happen due to weights. But if pound for pound, it be a great one. Mayweather would win though.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

How much difference does 7 or even 14 lb make? Anyone got any real life examples (I.e. fights) where weight has made a big difference. I've fought guys bigger than me and won, and smaller than me and lost. Getting slapped around off a 17 year old 6th former who weighed 10 stone was a particular highlight. Skills make the difference, not the weight of 2 big turds.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

I agree with lumbering jack about the weight issue. In past eras with same day weigh ins or before the extensive rehydration process that is more common now then more weights may have been easier to understand. But now it seems to me that often there is little difference between many of the fighters in the lower weight classes, it more a question of some fighters de/rehydrating more. There probably isn’t a great difference size wise between Broner and Mayweather, and whatever it is probably isn’t the decisive factor. Much too many weights below welterweight I think, which is a bigger problem. It begs the question of what is Broners “natural” weight. I don’t really see fighters who de/rehydrate extensively as being particlularly natural in a weight class and Broner I don’t think was ever a natural SFW. Plus with so many weight classes lower down now its perfectly feasible fighters natural weight classes change a lot or fighters can be natural in several weight classes. Higher up maybe the extra weight classes are more necessary as the jump from middleweight to light heavyweight or light heavyweight to heavyweight would be significant enough. But the numerous weight divisions coupled with the rehydration periods now make it a fairly ambiguous issue.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

A lot depends on the frame of the fighters. But the weight issue is often a reason of convenience to suit an argument, one way or another. Ricky hatton could never be a real welter because he was such a natural at light-welter. The fight at welter gave ex super feather mayweather all the cards. Blah blah.

To me, as others have said, broner looks big still at lightweight. Manny whizzed through the weights without looking big at any of them. If broner's good enough, why not? Realistically, you'd want him matched with any of a wide choice of decent light welters or welters first... But if he looks the part against one of them, it would be a fight I'd want to see.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

I just think to fight Floyd you have to have more top end experience rather than just Demarco, how many people would give him a cat in hells chance against Floyd right now? Not many.

What about after beating a named LWW like Matthysse and then say a Berto etc. He would stand a much better chance after the experience. I think the weight is still important, as Broner has never fought someone bigger than him or the same size, for my money having some experience against someone who is your size and coming to the realisation that he has to do slightly different things against those fighters will impact him a lot rather than almost going in there blind against someone the same size.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

That is what sparring is for.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

As the Hodgetwins would say "That just ain't the real... Thaaaaaaaang..."

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

I've never really understood that to be honest. We won't get nervous on the big stage anymore so some good hard sparring would do the trick. Naturally it ain't gonna be against Floyd but sparring partners are usually just fodder for the elite anyway.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I just think to fight Floyd you have to have more top end experience rather than just Demarco, how many people would give him a cat in hells chance against Floyd right now? Not many.

Aye, but if we went by that logic, Alex, then Mayweather would simply have to retire or be forced to fight as a Middleweight, because there's nobody below 160 lb who'd be anything less than a massive outsider against him! Doesn't really hold water, at least not for me. Likewise, Tyson would have had to retire in 1989.

I mean come on, Pacquiao has beaten a strong of top pound for pounders in the past and, even last year, arguably beat a very good fighter in Bradley and was giving Marquez hell before walking on to a right hand from the Gods - and still nobody would give hima sniff of beating Mayweather!

The weight excuse is valid, I think - but not this idea that Broner "isn't ready" or needs a few more fights. He's a pound for pound, established name. If that's not ready, then I don't know what is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

The weight excuse for me is a load of nonsense. It is an excuse to hide behind as a reason to not fight someone. 7 lb is a very small amount of weight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

Would any fighters amongst us not be prepared to fight someone half a stone heavier?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

Where do you get this 7 lbs from?

In their last fights, Mayweather weighed 151 lbs and Broner 134 lbs.

That is a difference of 17, not 7.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

I was a bit confused at this 7 lb business too, Union.

Lumbering, I don't necessarily dispute that, come fight night, Broner would be a comparable weight to Mayweather - he may even be heavier. My point is that it's impossible to know how the added weight might effect him. Weighing in at 135 lb, he's probably a Welterweight (effectively) come fight night, right now. Maybe you're arguing that he'd not add much extra weight if he weighed in at 147 lb, but I don't agree. If he became a Welterweight, I imagine he'd be 155, perhaps even 160 lb come fight night. We can't be sure whether or not this will worsen his speed, his agility etc, or if it'll add anything to his punching power.

Even Whitaker, a converted Lightweight (and a "natural" one through and through, who didn't fill out nearly as much as Floyd has or Broner has the capacity to) ended up with fight night weights of around 155 lb during the latter part of his Welterweight career. He was even a shade heavier than Oscar by the time the opening bell of their bout rang, despite appearing to be small in comparison.

Now in Pernell's case, he was still top-notch even with the additional weight. However, there are no guarantees that this will be the case with Broner. As such, right now I just see him as a Lightweight and Floyd as a Welter. A fight between them isn't a silly proposition, or totally out of leftfield, but I'd much prefer to see if once Broner has shown that he's a top class Light-Welter at least. For all we know, Lightweight might end up being the perfect division for him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:01 pm

On the scales I've assumed the difference would be 7lb with them rehydrating to roughly the same weight on fight night. And Broner may have weighed in at 134 but he was certainly heavier than that come fight night.

But hey, let's look at reasons for fighters to avoid each other... Alvarez is too big for Floyd, Bradley is not well known enough and Manny has been beaten a number of times.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:07 pm

I guess Leonard and Duran had no business fighting Hagker such was the nature of the one sided beat downs they received.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

I personally would love people to have a bit more of a can do attitude when it comes to skipping weights because the gap between the lower weights is very often pretty negligible and as the likes of Armstrong, Fitz and countless others proved in days of less divisions talent can overcome discrepancies in size. I also think Broner has enough natural ability to go straight up to welter and be effective.

However skipping from light to welter is tough, skipping from light to welter to take on someone of Floyd’s talent is really tough, that is why Duran’s win over Leonard is still talked about in awe some 30 odd years on and is arguably one of the top three or four in the history of the sport, and lets not forget Duran was not some guy of 20 fights he was a grissled veteran of 70 odd fights. However would have nowt but respect for Broner was he to try and is one of those win win situations for him, apart from losing his 0 it is not a fight he is expected to win but if he does or if he comes even close he becomes an overnight sensation.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next