The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf: OFF (other interests)

+18
oldshanker
Hibbz
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
gaelgowfer
1GrumpyGolfer
Shotrock
pedro
Doon the Water
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Diggers
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
beninho
George1507
McLaren
JAS
barragan
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Golf: OFF (other interests) Empty Golf: OFF (other interests)

Post by barragan Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

With winter well and truly set in, temp greens a plenty and the thermometer hitting the negatives, it seems as good a time as any to get an off topic interests thread on the go.

I shall kick off by sharing a couple of books i have on the go.

Currently engrossed in Ian Rankin's latest offering: 'Standing in another mans grave'.
Have it on loan from the G'pa-in-law and not far from the end. Of particular interest to me is the locations the plot unfolds in. Predominantly outside Edinburgh for a change and is set up north. Even a brief encounter with my away golf club, on route to a little dolphin watching.

Also working my way (a little more slowly) through Italo Calvino's 'If on a winters night a traveller'. I am very fond of his 'Invisible cities' which i discovered when researching a little about Venice a few years ago. This offering has a much more disrupted flow, a tale within a tale, leading to many brief encounters of other tales...quite bizarre really, and puts me in mind of borges short stories in 'labyrinths' and the like. Pretty intriguing stuff, though sometimes difficult topic up after a few days ...you feel like you need to re-read to keep up.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Golf: OFF (other interests) Empty Re: Golf: OFF (other interests)

Post by JAS Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:28 pm

It's a holiday to more tropical climes for me, yes golf will be involved...a lot!! but a lot of my downtime will be filled with surfing. Taking my time on a drive down Highway 1 tomorrow from San Francisco to Santa Cruz

Strangely enough Barra my book for the flights is The St Leonards Years (a compilation of 3 Rebus novels. Strip Jack, The Black Book and Mortal Causes). I don't read much but I do like Rankin's stuff.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm

I tend to read "popular science" books or more academic books on economics. For some reason I just dont read a whole lot of fiction. But one of the authors I have read the most off is Ian Rankin. So thanks for the heads up on his new offering barragan. As well as Rebus novels I also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Sadly - and a little OT - I also read a fair bit of golf architecture books. Anything from the coffee table pretty picture stuff to Darwins writings.

Jas - I hope you have tee time on Pasatiempo booked?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Strangely enough, I have just finished Rankin's The Black Book. I've read a couple of Rebus novels in the past, found this one and read it. It's a very complex tale. I'm pretty sure that in real life, the murder wouldn't be solved because nobody is that clever!

Central to the plot is a fire at the Central Hotel, loosely based on the fire that destroyed the Palace Hotel in Edinburgh 20 years ago. I used to work in the Palace Hotel years before that when I was a student...

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm currently into the Scandinavian books which are the in thing. The steig Larsson trilogy and just read a recent job nesbo book. Also have season 3 of The Killing to watch. But only once we have finished watching homeland season 2. Which is not as good as the first but still recommended.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:26 pm

McLaren wrote:I tend to read "popular science" books or more academic books on economics. For some reason I just dont read a whole lot of fiction. But one of the authors I have read the most off is Ian Rankin. So thanks for the heads up on his new offering barragan. As well as Rebus novels I also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Sadly - and a little OT - I also read a fair bit of golf architecture books. Anything from the coffee table pretty picture stuff to Darwins writings.

Why do you try so hard to try and convince us you are intelligent Mac? Even if you actually read these academic tomes, you don't appear to take much in. mug

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

McLaren wrote:I tend to read "popular science" books or more academic books on economics. For some reason I just dont read a whole lot of fiction. But one of the authors I have read the most off is Ian Rankin. So thanks for the heads up on his new offering barragan. As well as Rebus novels I also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Yup, 1st round of the trip Mac, playing as a members guest Thursday morning, must take it easy out on the tiles in Santa Cruz Weds night :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm

George1507 wrote:Strangely enough, I have just finished Rankin's The Black Book. I've read a couple of Rebus novels in the past, found this one and read it. It's a very complex tale. I'm pretty sure that in real life, the murder wouldn't be solved because nobody is that clever!

Central to the plot is a fire at the Central Hotel, loosely based on the fire that destroyed the Palace Hotel in Edinburgh 20 years ago. I used to work in the Palace Hotel years before that when I was a student...

That's one of the things I like about Rankin. It's fiction but factual events are kind of interwoven in in places. I enjoyed the TV episodes but it wasn't until I spent time working in Edinburgh that I got the books (I'm trying to read them in order).

Btw, from the TV episodes Stott was a far better Rebus than Hannah.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 pm

I've read all the Rebus series (prolific reader here when I get time), and also those of many other Scottish writers (no idea why).

If you like Rankin, but would like to move towards the black humour side of Scottish murder mystery, I can thoroughly recommend Christopher Brookmyre and his series set (mostly) in Scotland (Quite Ugly One Morning, Country of the Blind, Boiling a Frog, Be My Enemy and Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks).

If you like those, then move on to any of the main Colin Bateman novels (mostly set in Belfast) and then on to the hard stuff - Eureka Street by Robert McLiam Wilson.

For a move across the Atlantic and some off colour, gritty crime family tales, I#m currently reading the series by Nicholas Denmon - For Nothing and Buffalo Soldiers (An Upstate New York Mafia Tale) - 2 of a reportedly 3 book series (the third due out next year).
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Now the X Fcator is finished my main interest in life is clearly over. Do a lot of reading on my commute, currently reading the Hunger Games trilogy which is very addictive, would like to see the film now which I hear is very good.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Surely that show must be due an axing Diggers?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 pm

I catually had to come into work on Saturday because if the show, we shot the Intel adverts that went out in the ad breaks and did some live updating of pics from Shazam, all a bit pointless to me but whatever floats your boat I guess.
The guy who won it was very good Super, you should watch a few of his songs on Youtube, you might be suprised.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 pm

It's not that I don't doubt they can sing (although I've yet to hear any of them that actually sound unique) it's more the rather dreadfully twee housewives favourite genre they are all shoe-horned into.
I can see why they do it that way, to appeal to the largest share of the market, but it's not my cup of tea

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Steig Larsson & Jimmy Nesbo books are all superb....Enjoy. Smile
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 pm

He isnt of that genre at all Super, really does put his own take on the songs he does, very talented guy. Obviously has to do covers for the show but not like any version you would have heard before. Did a fantastic Nina Simone cover in the final. Very different from your normal X Factor winner.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Super, instead of making an attack why not share some of your interests with the forum, that being the spirit of the thread and all.

PS - glad to see you edited your post from the more severe original attack you made.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 pm

All very well and I didn't mean to have a go as such, but all you've said Mac is you read "Science" books in an effort to appear intelligent, however you couldn't even state what they are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 pm

I have enjoyed things like brain cox's e=mc^2 and fabric of the cosmos by brian greene. I certainly dont think it makes you intelligent to read such books, just a little curious about something you are interested in but have little scope of understanding.

It would still be interesting to find out what you like to read about?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm

McLaren wrote:I have enjoyed things like brain cox's e=mc^2 and fabric of the cosmos by brian greene. I certainly dont think it makes you intelligent to read such books, just a little curious about something you are interested in but have little scope of understanding.

It would still be interesting to find out what you like to read about?

All depends Mac, I go through stages of reading voraciously and stages of reading very little, I like 20th century history, so have read a lot of books on WW2, although I like fiction too based on that era or cold war, Charles Cumming, James Douglas, Deighton, etc.

I'll finish most books once I start them. Sadly I have to read rather a lot of geological journals too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 pm

As a completely different interest both my wife and I are athletics fans, we've decided our anniversary present each year will be a trip to a European Golden League meeting each year, so could be Stockholm, Oslo, Berlin, Paris, Madrid etc....lots of options each year. Obviously need to be able to ditch the rugrats but as they get a bit older and hopefully also enjoy the sport they can come along as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Diggers, I've never been to an Athletics meet but Bislett and Stockholm always seems like a good one to go to to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 pm

You should go Super, is a real buzz seeing the athletes in the flesh. Watching Rudisha break the 800 record at the Games was one of the best nights I can remember.
You are right though, the Scandie meets always have a great atmosphere.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Nothing beats F1 in the flesh.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

You think Mac, I found it deadly dull, but my brothers both love it. Moto GP is way more interesting. Thats said I wouldnt say no to a trip to Monaco for the GP.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 pm

I can almost see the thrill of the sound and smell of F1 in the flesh but think as an overall spectacle must be incredibly boring. In that case from a fixed seating position, if you've seen one, you've seen them all.
I saw a World Cup downhill Ski race in Austria once, similar to F1 in that you can only see a section of the race and the competitors go past in a blur. Boring as hell, you are just willing someone to crash.

I also find Football incredibly boring to watch these days, can't remember the last time I managed more than a half, probably due in fact to how the sport has become unappealing in terms of the players, fans, money etc.

Could be going to a Darts match next year, not going to see much but the atmosphere should be good, all working class Labour supporters, surprised MAc isn't going.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Off soon to see War of the Worlds [musical] in Glesga.

Otherwise
Hill walking and gardening.
I spend 2 hours a week as a volunteer at the local primary school teaching kids to grow stuff.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm

I had been hoping that the waves would cooperate and save the climax of the Pipe-masters (surfing) until I got to Oahu, looks like I've missed it again though Sad

Couple of years ago I was on one of the other islands when they called the contest on (it usually takes 2-3 days out of a 12 day contest window) booked a flight over for the following day but in the morning they called it off due to a thunderstorm, still saw most of the worlds best out practicing ripping up one of the worlds great waves. The one I'd really like to see though is the Quiksilver in memory of Eddie Aikau" big wave contest. Only held when the ocean swell tops 20 feet which means the wave faces are upwards of 30 feet, totally awesome sight close up...but not too close!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 am

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Steig Larsson & Jimmy Nesbo books are all superb....Enjoy. Smile
Nobody's into 50 Shades of Gray?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:09 am

JAS - I like your style!

Family activities and work keep me plenty busy, lots of swim meets some curling bonspiels take up most of my winter free time. Larrson series was a great read and now reading the new JK Rowling book, not bad (but 50% of the book to go yet).

Also re-doing one of the bathrooms at home -- I enjoy being a contractor's helper. Very therapeutic stuff. (Our last bathroom was done at little cost via an HGTV show, highly recommend that if you can get it.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

Damn, Sr, you got bathroom crashed?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 am

Grumpy - Predecessor show called "Rip and Renew". We were NOT looking to be on the show - our neighbor, an architect, was doing some part time work for the network and (while having Friday after work drinks on our deck one summer day) said they were having difficulty finding bathroom large enough to film in. Good luck with that I said, but next thing I knew my wife strongly suggested our bathroom (very dated but everything worked!). Fast forward a couple auditions and we were booked. They pay the vast majority, but require you to use their subcontractors and appliances (no problem with either). Plus, you cannot change your plans mid-stream due to filming schedule. All in all, great experience and very happy with the end product.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Nothing beats F1 in the flesh.

My petrol head son's going to the Monte Carlo F1 race next year. Apparently, it's cheaper to fly out there than to buy tickets for home venue. Have to admit, F1 is a lot more exciting to watch than in the days Schumacher.

Used to swim and play badminton when younger but still managed to knock off the odd Munro just to see if I can still do it! Climbed some unpronounceable named hill in Kintail during the autumn on one of the very few beautiful days we've had this year. Visibility from the top was clearest I've yet seen. Nirvana.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:Nothing beats F1 in the flesh.

My petrol head son's going to the Monte Carlo F1 race next year. Apparently, it's cheaper to fly out there than to buy tickets for home venue. Have to admit, F1 is a lot more exciting to watch than in the days Schumacher.

Used to swim and play badminton when younger but still managed to knock off the odd Munro just to see if I can still do it! Climbed some unpronounceable named hill in Kintail during the autumn on one of the very few beautiful days we've had this year. Visibility from the top was clearest I've yet seen. Nirvana.

Id never have had you down as a Nirvana fan Gael, what do you prger Nevermind or the rawness of Smells Like Teen Spirit ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I take it we're not talking celestial beings here Diggers? angel Very Happy

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Well the lead singers one now so maybe.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Diggers. You have been watching too much x factor and suffered a rotting of the brain. smells like teen spirit is on Nevermind. I think there is a line in smells like teen spirit which ends in "nevermind" but no idea if that is why the album was called nevermind.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm

I dont even like Nirvana bar a couple of singles Mac.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 am

Diggers wrote:I dont even like Nirvana bar a couple of singles Mac.

Aye, they're gash.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 am

Nirvana rule
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 am

I mentioned Nirvana just now on the other thread, reforming for a benefit concert with Paul MaCartney. Madness.

Musical influences from the early 90's. so for me Nirvana do rule.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 am

Whos singing beninho? Grohl would be suitable but can he sing and drum?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 am

incontinentia wrote:Whos singing beninho? Grohl would be suitable but can he sing and drum?

The way I read a link I was posted suggested McCartney was taking Cobains place. I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 am

Paul Macartney is singing..though not any Nirvana songs i understand. Supposedly doing something knew. could be different.

Dave Grohl is a musical god.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am

Yea Grohl is a legend, mind you i'm not too fond of the foo fighters
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 am

beninho wrote:I mentioned Nirvana just now on the other thread, reforming for a benefit concert with Paul MaCartney. Madness.

Musical influences from the early 90's. so for me Nirvana do rule.

Shame it wasn't a benefit concert for Paul McCartney, meaning that the stupid pouting has been had popped his clogs or had run out of money.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 am

Sir Macca, can appear and sing badly at as many events or closing ceremonies as he wants. He has enough credit in the bank, what with changing world music and influencing pet sounds.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am

Im not so sure Ben, Band on the Run was released back in 1973, that was patchy at best and everything else since has been fairly forgettable, and thats being kind. 40 years is a long, long time.
Have to say he is easily my least favourite Beatle, the stuff I like was mainly written by George Harrison, including of course Supers own favourite, My Sweet Lord.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 am

Well Macca is my favourite Beatle still alive. He just compares poorly to Lennon due to Lennon being dead. But Lennon did some horrendous songs before he died. Death does funny things to rock stars. And increases sales.

But i still say Macca has credit in the bank with me. Even for Live and Let Die.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 am

beninho wrote:Sir Macca, can appear and sing badly at as many events or closing ceremonies as he wants. He has enough credit in the bank, what with changing world music and influencing pet sounds.

Never liked The Beatles at all. Some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard, and those were Maccas best days. THe Frog Song, Ebony and Ivory, Mull of Kintyre, Jet etc, total crap.

There were better bands around at the time such as The Kinks, Stones, Faces, Who, Yardbirds who I thought produced a lot better stuff than drivel like Love Me Do or Yellow Submarine. I did like Revolver though, Beatles best album by a mile.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:08 am

All good bands Mr Super, but if you are going to pick out songs like Love me do..very early beatles, and then Yellow Submarine - Joke record. You can do that easily with the Kinks - We are the village green preservation society, god bless donald duck vaudervile and variety...But its controversial to slag the Beatles off.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next